Football Manager 2009

i find going very attacking or very defending never has the right results, as someone said, your best bet is put another midfielder in or something. to be honest, if i ever go defensive it never works, and if i try to attack heavily it doesnt change things. subs are the only things that seem to work for me.

I've finally managed some success on this game! I chose Arsenal with no transfers in the first window. After a good start I didn't think I needed to change much so in January but I did the following business:
In:
Willians Santana (Vitoria) £5.5m
Nedum Onuhoa (Man City) £4.8m
Total: £10.3m
I also signed 3 youth players for the future.
Out:
Thomas Rosiky (Portsmouth) £7.75m
Emmanuel Eboue (Sevilla) £6m + clauses
Total: £13.75m
So pretty much like for like posistion wise and this worked well as although the guys I sold were doing okay, I felt getting some younger players in and making a profit was a better idea, aswell as increasing my English contingent.

Anyway, to cut it short I suprised myself how well I did, I won the league clear by 9 points. I also won the Carling Cup and FA Cup beating Man United in both finals although they knocked me out in the semi finals of the UCL on away goals. I have never done this well on an FM game really so it was a strange feeling.

So now second season, I've decided to get rid of the players who didn't really impress me or play as well as I thought they should last season and so far I've done the following:
Out:
Phillipe Senderos (Real Madrid) £7.5m
Mikael Silvestre (Sunderland) £675k
Robin Van Persie (Liverpool) £23.5m
Eduardo (Inter) £16.75m
Abou Diaby (Villareal) £8.5m
Total: £58.4m
And to replace them:
Carlos Tevez (MSI) £25m (I edited the database so MSI were a club and Tevez was on loan for 2 years to United with a £25m minimum release which I met and they didnt)
Nicholas N'Koulou (AS Monaco) £5.5m
Alberto Martin (Regen) (Valencia) £2.6m
And about 3 more players aged between 17-20 for the future
Total: £35m

I've promoted players like Wilshere, Ramsey, Merida and Lansbury to the first team so they're getting games and my tactics are direct and attacking with quite a bit of closing down.

I know it's not that much of a challenge as Arsenal are a good team but it's still the first time in quite a while I've managed to get anywhere with this game so it's been enjoyable so I plan to resign after this season and find another job with a bigger challenge.

Last edited:
I've finally managed some success on this game! I chose Arsenal with no transfers in the first window. After a good start I didn't think I needed to change much so in January but I did the following business:
In:
Willians Santana (Vitoria) £5.5m
Nedum Onuhoa (Man City) £4.8m
Total: £10.3m
I also signed 3 youth players for the future.
Out:
Thomas Rosiky (Portsmouth) £7.75m
Emmanuel Eboue (Sevilla) £6m + clauses
Total: £13.75m
So pretty much like for like posistion wise and this worked well as although the guys I sold were doing okay, I felt getting some younger players in and making a profit was a better idea, aswell as increasing my English contingent.

Anyway, to cut it short I suprised myself how well I did, I won the league clear by 9 points. I also won the Carling Cup and FA Cup beating Man United in both finals although they knocked me out in the semi finals of the UCL on away goals. I have never done this well on an FM game really so it was a strange feeling.

So now second season, I've decided to get rid of the players who didn't really impress me or play as well as I thought they should last season and so far I've done the following:
Out:
Phillipe Senderos (Real Madrid) £7.5m
Mikael Silvestre (Sunderland) £675k
Robin Van Persie (Liverpool) £23.5m
Eduardo (Inter) £16.75m
Abou Diaby (Villareal) £8.5m
Total: £58.4m
And to replace them:
Carlos Tevez (MSI) £25m (I edited the database so MSI were a club and Tevez was on loan for 2 years to United with a £25m minimum release which I met and they didnt)
Nicholas N'Koulou (AS Monaco) £5.5m
Alberto Martin (Regen) (Valencia) £2.6m
And about 3 more players aged between 17-20 for the future
Total: £35m

I've promoted players like Wilshere, Ramsey, Merida and Lansbury to the first team so they're getting games and my tactics are direct and attacking with quite a bit of closing down.

I know it's not that much of a challenge as Arsenal are a good team but it's still the first time in quite a while I've managed to get anywhere with this game so it's been enjoyable so I plan to resign after this season and find another job with a bigger challenge.

Glad to see you are doing well and enjoying the game again.

Well my streak of 6 wins in a row in the EPL has finally come to an end. I lost away to Manchester City 2-1. I was in 2nd (my highest position ever). Oh well, time to start another streak. I am also playing the Uefa Cup and the Carling Cup has started. Phew. Alot of fixtures bunched together. Soon the FA Cup will start as well. I think my team is big enough though. Tryin to play a young team in the Carling Cup. One thing that I have found out, is that it's difficult to find players to register for the Uefa Cup. Like homegrown players. I guess I need to work on bringing some of those in or something.

The rule is 'trained in England/at club for 3 years before the age of 21' or something like that. So if you buy a 17 year old, by the time he's 20 he will count as homegrown I think.

my season has come to an end and I finished 6th in the table. Uefa cup here I come again. My board gave me $94 million us. Most I have ever had to spend on transfers by far. I paid the minimum clause on a super regent lb to sevilla. I offered a contract to him and sevilla somehow signed him and I can't get him now. Boo. I'm finding it hard to get the players I need now.

Chris, do you still have the logos and stadia on your PC? Both of the hosts aren't serving the files anymore :(

Cheers :TU:

Edit: Nice one Chris. Incidently, how come you chose those widescreen resolutions and not 1280x800 which is the standard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Nice one Chris. Incidently, how come you chose those widescreen resolutions and not 1280x800 which is the standard?
I had no idea what the standard was so I just went by what I could find on Google. :DOH:

It's only resized using Photoshop anyway so anybody who knows how to make a batch file can just download the 1280x1024 file and Bob's your uncle. ;)

Just got my new laptop today,

top of the range

tried to install the game but nothing.

i went through phone activation and it said my game was authorised and so forth. But there is no shortcut on my desktop and no way i can start up the game.

Any ideas?

I can explore the disk though, so maybe i can run it from that somehow?

Did this happen to anyone else?

Can anyone help?

A shortcut isn't created by default - which is stupid but there you go.

Go to My Computer, double-click your hard drive [usually C:].
Double-click your Program Files folder, double-click your Sports Interactive folder, double-click your Football Manager 2009 folder.

Right-click on the file called FM, click "Copy", close all of the windows and right-click anywhere on the desktop. Then click "Paste Shortcut".

A shortcut isn't created by default - which is stupid but there you go.

Go to My Computer, double-click your hard drive [usually C:].
Double-click your Program Files folder, double-click your Sports Interactive folder, double-click your Football Manager 2009 folder.

Right-click on the file called FM, click "Copy", close all of the windows and right-click anywhere on the desktop. Then click "Paste Shortcut".

thanks, dude, thats awesome, it was me just being dumb - first time running it on vista and all.

Do you or did you find that this game freezes a hell of alot??

Its doing my head in. I go to play a match and it freezes. I click on different things at different times and it freezes. Im at a lose at what to do here. If i was running on an old laptop i'd be like, fine, it cant handle it properly...BUT this laptop is brand new and a really decent spec to!

Im just going to install the patch and see what happens. Thing being, its asking me what programme i want to open the patch with and i dont know. Can you just let me know how to install it and also any ideas on stopping the freezing?

cant dude,

brand new laptop, Vista pre-loaded. and i wouldnt anyway since its new.

its so annoying. Im going to try and run the game windowed tonight, see how it runs, but i shouldnt have to!

The patches should be able to run, try renaming it to "patch.exe" when you've downloaded it, see if that makes it run. It sounds like the ".exe" bit is being missed off the end, it shouldn't ask you what program to open it with.

But yeah, you'll have to run it windowed if you've still got freezes. It's a bit weird, I can run the game okay but the replays judder like hell, really bad.

The patches should be able to run, try renaming it to "patch.exe" when you've downloaded it, see if that makes it run. It sounds like the ".exe" bit is being missed off the end, it shouldn't ask you what program to open it with.

But yeah, you'll have to run it windowed if you've still got freezes. It's a bit weird, I can run the game okay but the replays judder like hell, really bad.

thanks dude,

i'll give it go tonight, see how i get on. may have to come back to you on it though if thats okay?

The patches attempt to fix the freezing problem on vista. I have it on vista and am now able to run it in fullscreen without too many problems. Getting the latest video card drivers also helped.

I am struggling in my 5th season at the moment. I was going well until around Jan-Feb. Started losing left and right. Now I am in 9th at the end of March. I really need to make it back into Europe. However I am in the quarter finals on the Uefa Cup. We'll see how that goes. Might need to switch up formations for a little bit to get back on track.

I like that. hehe

Well my 5th season has just ended. I made it to the Semi of the Uefa Cup before losing to AC Milan. I finished 9th in the league. Not happy with that finish. I just don't play well in the 2nd half of the season. Not sure why that is. I guess the AI gets use to my formation but still. Will have to figure that out. I need some studs out on the wings so that will be my focus this off season. Hopefully I can stick to that. I find myself straying sometimes if I see someone I like in other positions.

Back
Top Bottom