Football Kingdom [PS2]

It would be nice to see Konami implement some features of other games, but surely you would think they have played a decent amount of all their competition anyway, and yet there are still things like FIFA's presentation which they don't even attempt to replicate. Remember the N64 ISS'? They took goodness knows how many versions to put in a stretcher animation that was in that game years and years ago. Look how long they took to put in any-time replays, a feature ALL other footie games always had.

I would be stunned to see any of FK's good bits make it into WE8, because I think Konami have their own agenda and really are not interested in 'stealing' from other games even if it would greatly improve their own game. But then I'm 'negative'. ;)

I wish more people would list the buttons and what they do, or other controls they have figured out. Maybe you know this, but this is what I discovered in a couple of games -

L1 (we now know) controls your teammate Off-the-ball. But L2 is also a "freedom" move of sorts, in that it allows your player to step over and hover over the ball without touching. When running, let off the R1 sprint and hold L2 and move the R3 toggle, and your player will "hypnotize" the defense by the hover/sterpover move, so they wont know which what he is gonna go. It's like C.Ronaldo or Denilson in the WC 94.

R2 is hard to gauge other than it does tricks. Sometimes you can just sprint and bang it and your player will go damn near coast to coast by cutting past people. There should be more intent behind it.

Holding L1 while using the O cross/kick, send the ball on a lower and harder trajectory. it is a good way to find the streaking player racing gaolwards with loose defense around him. Also use it on the wings if a teammate is not covered to his near side in the box. you can blast a header with one of these L1+O.

QUESTIONS -

- I aslo did the Okocha trick a couple of times in practice, but could not figure it out. Anyone perfect it wih R2??

- I did the 360 Zidane move in practice with the R2 but do not know how.

- Aerial thru passes anyone??

I'm sure (but can't test it right now) that the Rainbow Kick (Okocha trick) is back and forward on R3 very quickly. Where as the Roulette (Zidane 360 move) is the same as WE, rotate the RAS. At least that's how i remember doing it in training.

well, most of you say WE has to learn something from this game-NO.this game has to learn a lot from WE.Basta. :)

good night!

ClassicD said:
But then I'm 'negative'. ;)

I would call it Realistic, Mate ;)

Again like you said, there have been 101 things in our minds for Years, that in our eyes would be easy to add/implent into WE/PES, And every Year these Features we all wish for still remain.....Sorely Missed.

I guess we all say on Here we would like this Feature and that Feature on the next Version......but Deep down we all have a Gut feeling we still wont be getting it from Konami anytime soon. :(

Hehay ! Now I am being Negative Too :mrgreen:

Man, I wish there was an english option for this game. Anyway, I love the through ball passing for the game. The passing system seems relatively good as well. If it was implented in WE it could really open up some awesome play. One of my gripes for a long while in the series are the few restrictions in the passing system which actually have a huge impact.

I noticed something mentioned about the keeps. Yeah, I am not a keep and all, but when an attacker is on the break, 1v1, I would assume the keep comes out to challenge, a few times I witnessed a perfectly stationary keep standing on his line? That's not right, is it? BTW, being the graphics whore that I am, man, this game's visuals are not my cup of tea!

Also, I noticed you can't even do a simply heel backpass. A few times, I had a trailing teammate wide open to do as he pleased, I attempted the pass and the ball goes straight forward instead. That kind of sucked to say the least. Now, the animation simply does an awkward 180 turn and pass which doesn't even go straight back. Looks rather unnatural.

This is quite minor, but when the keep has the ball in hand, I like the fact that you move just as freely as a field player with the ball at his feet. WE always annoys me with the rather limited, dare I say again, restricted movement.

I am enjoying the game so far, it definitely isn't better than WE though, not yet atleast. It's environment sucks, the jap commentary sounds just as bland as WE's english comm and the gameplay definitely doesn't match up.

i have a question for everyone who doesn't like this game:

have you played it with friend?

do it and then perheaps you'll have a diferent opinion.

This game has great motion capture and complete freedom of passing wich gives a hole diferent view to football games.

it has some negative points in what concerns defending a keeping moves, but its more fluid and fun then WE (and this was the only game i thought was worth playing and the very best; i played it since WE1) when you play with a friend.

i sincerely whope WE8 will be nº 1, but for now FK is best.

Ernestito said:
well, most of you say WE has to learn something from this game-NO.this game has to learn a lot from WE.Basta. :)

good night!

Here's 1 simple thing that WE should have implemented eons ago, which Football Kingdom has got right in the first release...

KEEPERS CAN KICK THE BALL OUT IN ANY DIRECTION WITH A POWER BAR!!!

How hard is it to do that KONAMI??? Oh no Mr Gameplayer. You have to boot the ball full power straight down the middle or at 45 degree angles. It's the law.

Yeah. That's exactly what I mean by restrictive play. It's too bad WE won't open up their play more.

Anyway, the point of this post is to actually ask a question. How the heck can I have to radar on top? I hate having it on the bottom! All I could seem to find was how to turn it off, nothing about moving it around though.

ghazi said:
I wish more people would list the buttons and what they do, or other controls they have figured out. Maybe you know this, but this is what I discovered in a couple of games -

L1 (we now know) controls your teammate Off-the-ball. But L2 is also a "freedom" move of sorts, in that it allows your player to step over and hover over the ball without touching. When running, let off the R1 sprint and hold L2 and move the R3 toggle, and your player will "hypnotize" the defense by the hover/sterpover move, so they wont know which what he is gonna go. It's like C.Ronaldo or Denilson in the WC 94.

R2 is hard to gauge other than it does tricks. Sometimes you can just sprint and bang it and your player will go damn near coast to coast by cutting past people. There should be more intent behind it.

Holding L1 while using the O cross/kick, send the ball on a lower and harder trajectory. it is a good way to find the streaking player racing gaolwards with loose defense around him. Also use it on the wings if a teammate is not covered to his near side in the box. you can blast a header with one of these L1+O.

QUESTIONS -

- I aslo did the Okocha trick a couple of times in practice, but could not figure it out. Anyone perfect it wih R2??

- I did the 360 Zidane move in practice with the R2 but do not know how.

- Aerial thru passes anyone??

I agree - there are definitely new controls I'm finding which I didn't know existed at first - these have porbably already been posted but here the ones I've found through trial and error

L1+L2 = dive

L2 (tap twice) - skips over tackle when running

L1 + :square: = low hard shot

:square: + pull back on LAS = chip shot (but as keeper never comes off his line, I've nver scored with it yet)

R2 = stop dead with ball but if you then tap :square: twice, it does a long lobbed ball (not sure what it's good for though)

L2 when about to receive pass - a bit like super-cancel in WE (gives you control of the guy before he receives the ball) - but it also seems to be good when doing a shoulder charge into the opposition guy with the ball

btw has anyone got any idea what the hell the four grey rectangle are for under the player name section of the screen display (if you press RAS down and then lcick R1, R2, L1 or L2, these then appear in the grey rectangles and they are probably activating tactics, but I don't know for sure

please keep posting your findings about controls - even if you think they are obvious

Yes. R3 + L1, L2 R1 or R2 activates tactics. You can setup your tactics before a match and during a match.
It's the last point on Match-Setup.
There are 12 Ingame tactics...

You can do backheel passes with :triangle: . I did one, that I could only wish was in WE7i. Henry received a pass and opened his legs and when I was thinking "What the hell I pressed :triangle: to pass!" he passes to Trezeguet with the inside of his heel, it was amazing.
You could also use :l1: + :circle: to shoot! I love it when you send one of those a little wide, and it appears as shoot above the player name after the replay. I like this kind of freedom, scored with :x: .
Another cool thing is if you press :l1: + :square: you a get a hard and low shot.
Everyone is asking about high trough balls. Well, you do those with :circle: . It is all about power and swerve.

Is there no comprehensive controls guide for the game anywhere?

I have done a few searcghes and come up with nothing.

:(

with all you fortunate people who have the game...

can anybody tell me wether all the tricks can be performed with ALL the players??

or is it just the half decent talented players

can people like gary neville do the feint or flick over??

RicKs said:
You can do backheel passes with :triangle: . I did one, that I could only wish was in WE7i.

awesome. i was thinking it was impossible. sounds like the openess of play is almost perfectly free! that's very excellent. it's a shame the keeps have some awful positioning. i wish i could show some vids, it is pretty bad!

SilverSpider said:

My main hope for Football Kingdom....... isn't actually for Football Kingdom.........Its that our Favourite Konami developers play it or see it and are Inspired to "Outdo or Match" some of its Ideas, Innovations and Finest moments and integrate them into WE8 before August/September or whenever its coming...
:mrgreen:

Everyone would agree with that! However, the chances of Konami moving on a dime to implement new features in WE8 at this late stage -- even if they wanted to -- are slim.

Konami's "vision" for WE is in place -- and, good or bad, they don't seemed swayed by anything available in the marketplace. Look at the dragging of their feet with online play -- they'll make online play a reality when they're ready -- not when the marketplace is ready, which was WE6 or WE7.

So I don't see FK making a dent in WE. However, they have an advantage. The can innovate like crazy and really surprise people with FK 2 and 3.

I have just played a game on FK. Not too shabby, quite surprised at how playable it is.

I realise the gripes which people have about it. I know it aint nowhere near WE but thats stating the obvious :)

What i will say is that it is a good starting base for the team behind it. It looks a bit like this is football crossed with iss pro. I like the free pass feature and the aftertouch is sweet, especially on the crosses. Although they are a tad to quick

Also, the nets are stonkin!!!!

Overall its a decent footy alternative to WE

Yea we should really make a list of the controls.

<b>to pass te ball in front of you a few metres: <b>
start running with :r1: , then, the moment after he kicks the ball in front of him, for a second let lose of all directions and the :r1: button, then press direction + :r1 again. great move.

i think most of you guys allready use the R3 stick for movement but for those who dont, you really have to play this game with the analog stick. in WE i always found the analog stick didnt really gave you the same control as the direction buttons, but with the 16way movement of FK the stick comes to right much more.

the only thing that comes in the way of a perfectly fun experience are the sometimes questionable keeper positioning. i think i might try and position him myselve at certain moments using the :triangle: + direction.

Dont be too quick in your judgement people. We all been playing WE for many years and its gameplay is second nature to us.
In FK you cant expect to uncover its true essence only after a few games. If the creaters would see us play they would get itchy fingers just like we do when we see someone play WE for the first time.
FK has his own point where u have enough experience to do all the things wich are in your head on screen.
Ive just had some great games with a mate and there where moments where i had some fluid and CREATIVE attacks wich uncover a bit of the way its meant to be played.

And above all, FUN is what counts. And i just had more fun with FK then i had with WE in months(years(?)), so who cares WE is better?

perfefctly fun - except when the cpu decides to suddenly make your guy run the wrong way now and then - and I was hoping only WE/PES would have cpu cheats :(

im having a terrible time with the Jap text.. How do you setup a cup competition?

I'll probably be making a fan site for FK. A multi-game site for FK an WE fans possibly.

You people make the list of controls, we'll put it up.

Chamakh said:
im having a terrible time with the Jap text.. How do you setup a cup competition?

Go to the groups section. Pick the first box and choose a team with :circle: . Then press :triangle: to randomly fill the rest of the groups.
Press :x: to go back to the list of options and choose the bottom one to get started.

I think.

Jink Master said:
Chamakh said:

Go to the groups section. Pick the first box and choose a team with :circle: . Then press :triangle: to randomly fill the rest of the groups.
Press :x: to go back to the list of options and choose the bottom one to get started.

I think.

Thanks mate! :)

wow i have just won the Asia Nations Cup on normal difficulty with my favortie team: Iran.
it was too easy for me so i had to kick saudi's ass 2:1 in the final ;)

after about 20 games on normal difficulty FK is still so much fun and at the moment i easily prefer it over we7i which has absolutely not the fluid passing game and flow of FK.

to all the FK haters, the pro-FK players are still here and still satisfied.

BOOYAKA!!!

Back
Top Bottom