FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Honestly, can't put the game down. Finalizing our slider set, and yeah, we're just in a good spot. For those that accept FIFA and all its quirks, you have to be more than welcome when it does things that surprise you or makes it feel like you're playing against another human. The biggest thing for me is the closedown rate and challenge for 50/50 balls. This is what was so amazing about PES, in the fact that the closing down made me feel the pressure to get the ball out - and that builds pressure to perform. If we could achieve that in FIFA, then that is all I've ever wanted. Currently, that's exactly what we're experiencing, so I wanted to provide some clips:

Just an overall fun sequence of play against an aggressive and fast build-up team:

Brutal tackle - all ball:

Nice attack, finishing with a swerving cross:

Another incredible sequence. Starting with no passing options, to somehow creating a chance:

Getting stuck in:

The quality of Roma show here, what a brilliant first touch into space at the start:

Honestly, thank you for all the work you and all the crew from OP do to improve the game for single players

I too, have been having an absolute blast with it lately.

I absolutely love how you have to play to your tactical set-up to get the best out of it, eg, if you’re set up to play slow possession build up, the game will punish you if you try to rush things like you would in an online game

I’ve learned to accept the ugly parts of fifa….and once you do they start to sort of ‘go away’…..even though they’re absolutely still there…..boiling someone else’s piss probably

When you dismiss genuine criticism as "boiled piss", you're a troll. Enjoy the game, but don't come in here trolling or you won't be here much longer.

Fair enough, no worries man - there's a bit of a loss in translation here.....apologies there was absolutely no intention for that to sound inflamatory

I'm not saying it's not genuine criticism at all, as they're things that have that irked me and still do to an extent. Take it as mere acceptence or being bludgeoned into an apathy of just accepting what has unfortunately become an admittedly low bar of quality with football games.

I'm coming from Fifa 22, which honestly, brought me to the depths of despair at times - every time you thought you had it cracked with sliders, a daily patch came out that had players doing on pitch tik tok routines.

I'm just saying I'm *seeing* those things less with this one - or that there is at least enough I'm enjoying about it that the shite things don't both me as much. There's definately no denial that they're there though and I've certianly no gripe with anyone who just can't get enjoyment out of it - i get it....because lord i've been there

There's also no denying that it absolutely needs to/should be better than this and when the time comes for the next installment - i'll be demanding all the things this forum asks for and more.

Honestly, thank you for all the work you and all the crew from OP do to improve the game for single players

I too, have been having an absolute blast with it lately.

I absolutely love how you have to play to your tactical set-up to get the best out of it, eg, if you’re set up to play slow possession build up, the game will punish you if you try to rush things like you would in an online game

I’ve learned to accept the ugly parts of fifa….and once you do they start to sort of ‘go away’…..even though they’re absolutely still there…..boiling someone else’s piss probably
That's the real key in knowing what type of team you are up against. They will surprise you too though because a slow-build up team may all of a sudden get some gusto, and go all out long ball. It really fluctuates based on what is happening. I find that sometimes my own play is missing in variety! I think that's saying something when you can get into FIFA at a competitive vs the CPU level. Rather than trying to play a match that you don't want to have to worry about game-breakers.

I have been talking to the team that is currently in pre-production on FC24. I have focused suggestions on customizing the gameplay, and expanding the sliders.
Additional sliders and ability to separate offline gameplay from pure online focused mechanics would be the key to success here.
Both types of gameplay cannot co-exist in harmony. Online and offline demand completely different approach.
If we could turn 1v1 focus OFF in settings and get AI to be more team focused and more aggressive - whether through new sliders or something - that would be awesome.
Also - one more, very important thing you could mention - let us pick version of gameplay we want to play offline.
Nowadays its such a risk to buy Fifa, coz after a month or two - it might be completely different game that you paid for.
Ability to pick a version to play offline would solve a lot of issues here.

Ability to pick a version to play offline would solve a lot of issues here
To add to it - I genuinely cant understand why this mechanics is not in there already, since other EA games have it.
Its a win-win situation for them.
Gets more people to buy it, gets moaning offline players off their back and adds publicity. Coz if people were enjoying Fifa for longer than till first/second patch - you would see more discussion online, more clips, more screenshots..
And it would also give them ability to play around with patches. Release the game with focus on realism - let offline people lock on that gameplay for Career Mode (while downloading Data Packs and squad updates throughout the year) and then go wild for online community.

To add to it - I genuinely cant understand why this mechanics is not in there already, since other EA games have it.
I've always wondered if it's because a lot of the gameplay values are glued together and can't be separated - if, for example, it emerged that acceleration and stamina use one value (which isn't true, but I'm giving an example off the top of my head).

I've always wondered if it's because a lot of the gameplay values are glued together and can't be separated - if, for example, it emerged that acceleration and stamina use one value (which isn't true, but I'm giving an example off the top of my head).
I dont follow.
You release gameplay A, which is - to put it in very simple term - a set of core gameplay sliders A.
You release a patch which changes into set of "core gameplay sliders B".

Why cant we switch offline to set A, while online would automatically switch to set B..?

I dont follow.
You release gameplay A, which is - to put it in very simple term - a set of core gameplay sliders A.
You release a patch which changes into set of "core gameplay sliders B".

Why cant we switch offline to set A, while online would automatically switch to set B..?
Yeah we're talking about two different things cos I've not explained what I mean very well (although I actually disagree with your point, cos after playing PES online with friends this past few weeks, I've realised I'll be pretty pissed off if EAFC becomes some amazing offline game that I can't then take online to play with friends).

What I mean is, I've always assumed that some of the gameplay variables are merged and can't be separated. I'm not talking about offline/online - I'm talking about e.g. "acceleration/stamina = 498" (or whatever value), and to separate those into two values the user could change would mean re-engineering the code.

I'm giving a terrible example, because acceleration and stamina ARE separate values in the code (which, on PC, you can access - but on console, you're fucked).

But I'm thinking the reason NHL has values for goalkeeper aggression, goalkeeper vision (i.e. how long it takes them to re-focus on a puck that was obscured by players), goalkeeper handling etc... Whereas FIFA just has "goalkeepers"... Is because the code in NHL has values for all that stuff, whereas there is one variable that pertains to ALL OF THAT in FIFA, and to create values for all of that would mean ripping up swathes of the code to start again.

Even that's not a great example but... I hope you see what I mean!

I've realised I'll be pretty pissed off if EAFC becomes some amazing offline game that I can't then take online to play with friends
I would gladly pick playing a good game offline against AI over not playing a game at all, coz after 2 patches - everything was changed to make online community happy..

I hope you see what I mean!
I see what you mean, but I just base my logic on what community does with older fifas on PC. If they can access the code and change values to get different ball physics and tweak AI behaviour - I dont understand why different versions of these could not exist at the same time on consoles if developers allowed it to happen. It might not be as elaborate as NHL, since it has more values to tweak there, but its still the same logic.

But I dont know enough to defend my point and discuss it any further, so dont throw any more curve balls my way.. ;) :LOL:

Edit:
One more thing - automatic switch to the newest patch version does not have to mean you cant play with your friends. It can easily be set to customisable in friendly/private lobby.
It can be designed to switch only in FUT or other competitive matches.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I downloaded fifa23 on my ps5, but where the hell is the ultimate difficulty? I wanted to play on ultimate in friendlies and career mode, but the highest difficulty i have is Legendary. What am i doing wrong?

Hello everyone. I downloaded fifa23 on my ps5, but where the hell is the ultimate difficulty? I wanted to play on ultimate in friendlies and career mode, but the highest difficulty i have is Legendary. What am i doing wrong?
Screenshot_20221224_144205_Chrome.jpg
Looks like its not available offline, pal.

But on youtube there are a lot streamers that play carreer mode on ultimate
Yeah I know. Im lost.
The one above was just a quick search, but then I started digging.
I was trying to google how to unlock it, how to use it in Career Mode, I was trying to look it up in all sorts of ways and all I got was just confusing results and nothing helpful.. sorry.

Yeah I know. Im lost.
The one above was just a quick search, but then I started digging.
I was trying to google how to unlock it, how to use it in Career Mode, I was trying to look it up in all sorts of ways and all I got was just confusing results and nothing helpful.. sorry.
Thanks for trying to help me.

I already knew that EA were a company with no morals but last night they took it to another level, knowing the children will be getting fifa points as part of Christmas presents they released the biggest scam pack on FUT for 2500 fifa points, it is aimed at getting those kids to spend their points on this ridiculously bad pack. It is sickening.

Is it me, or Hypermotion makes players slide more and footplanting even worse?
Hard to say. After all, Hypermotion 2.0 made the game interesting to me again because overall animations have been vastly improved and it CAN have a realistic feel at times.

The problem that is not even close to what it should be or at least the "industry standard" of PES, which looks and feels like a PS7 game in comparison. I really tried to combat the inconsistent speed changes by stats and sliders, but the game breaks the law of physics way too often.

Gameplay has so many interesting simulation aspects and variety (mishit balls etc.), but it is still covered by a terrible archaic movement system, which kills the illusion of playing football completely.

Is it me, or Hypermotion makes players slide more and footplanting even worse?
Yes, a 10 minute next gen match has multiple instances of clipping, contorted legs to control a ball / continue a dribble (because the “pros” want responsiveness even if it breaks physics), It’s pretty embarrassing really

This thread (and similar ones across other footy game forums) show the biggest lack of enthusiasm for a footy title I’ve ever seen, just 3 months after launch. Forget about FIFA 16, (which let’s be honest - we’ll never get anything remotely close to ever again) 23 makes versions like 17-18 look like Skyrim in ground-breaking visuals and AI. I can’t even go far enough back in footy titles this century to find another game with worse unrealistic running animations and I spent over an hour on YouTube trying to do.

It’s 2023, we have quantum computing. The biggest sports gaming company in the world can’t make a game representing the world’s most popular sport (on consoles more powerful in terms of computing power than NASA had to launch space shuttles) without players ice skating and running like an 80’s Benny Hill episode.

At least in Benny Hill, there was an odd chance you might catch a glimpse of some cleavage but the only tits in this scenario are us, the consumers.

Our OS thread is literally going every day and there are a lot of guys having fun with their Career Modes. Lots of us are just trying to squeeze more into the game. I think there are a lot of people that are enjoying the game for what it is but will still wish for more.

Unfortunately, as much as I love Evo, a lot of [same] criticism about FIFA 23, and beating the horse to a pulp isn't really motivating anyone from posting about their career modes. Just the way it is this year.

Hoping 2023 is the year though. Till then, I'm going to keep playing 23.

one of the few bright spots in FIFA23 is the indirect set piece threat of physically imposing CBs and strikers.

In previous FIFA's it's unbalancedly hard to score headers from set pieces.

Yes, a 10 minute next gen match has multiple instances of clipping, contorted legs to control a ball / continue a dribble (because the “pros” want responsiveness even if it breaks physics), It’s pretty embarrassing really
Similar things happen on PES 21, where players skip across the ground when the ball is out of reach in order to ensure a goal is scored. You just have to pick your poison. FIFA 23 has so much variety as a single player i can overlook some of the shitty animations

Our OS thread is literally going every day and there are a lot of guys having fun with their Career Modes. Lots of us are just trying to squeeze more into the game. I think there are a lot of people that are enjoying the game for what it is but will still wish for more.

Unfortunately, as much as I love Evo, a lot of [same] criticism about FIFA 23, and beating the horse to a pulp isn't really motivating anyone from posting about their career modes. Just the way it is this year.

Hoping 2023 is the year though. Till then, I'm going to keep playing 23.
Exactly. I didn't post here and only on the sliders topic because I enjoy my two careers with United and Marseille. I saw these bugs like everybody here but I think I have less bugs than some mates here. Playing FUMA help a bit maybe because you choose the power, the direction.

I really like the variety of the animations even if sometimes it could be really weird because a transition animation is missing. Overall, yes, I want to take my pad and have fun with FIFA 23.

Back
Top Bottom