FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

i'll be surprised if there's any offline modes at all with that game
I've been saying this for years to people. The amount of effort (which is hardly anything) put into offline modes is very obvious to show which direction EA are going with the future of this title. They could probably keep it going but there will be a time it will come to an end. EAFC is the perfect time (they have however said in their announcement, it will still be there).

I've been saying this for years to people. The amount of effort (which is hardly anything) put into offline modes is very obvious to show which direction EA are going with the future of this title. They could probably keep it going but there will be a time it will come to an end. EAFC is the perfect time (they have however said in their announcement, it will still be there).
I can't see them taking the mode out - even if it's just a copy/paste of the previous year's mode (100+ bugs and all).

But it's the gameplay that stops me playing the game. Not much use in a Career Mode when the gameplay is so aggressively 1v1 and not team-v-team (e.g. what's the point buying four new defenders if they're all going to stand watching the clouds until you control them).

Without giving us an alternative gameplay model, it's a dead game for me. Sadly, there are enough who play it on Ultimate with Competitor Mode on (according to their own usage data) for them not to give two shits about us. Especially when it makes the transition from Career Mode to FUT (where the money rolls in) "feel" similar.

I can't see them taking the mode out - even if it's just a copy/paste of the previous year's mode (100+ bugs and all).

But it's the gameplay that stops me playing the game. Not much use in a Career Mode when the gameplay is so aggressively 1v1 and not team-v-team (e.g. what's the point buying four new defenders if they're all going to stand watching the clouds until you control them).

Without giving us an alternative gameplay model, it's a dead game for me. Sadly, there are enough who play it on Ultimate with Competitor Mode on (according to their own usage data) for them not to give two shits about us. Especially when it makes the transition from Career Mode to FUT (where the money rolls in) "feel" similar.
Lets be honest though. FIFA has never had an amazingly realistic, attribute driven, challenging gameplay. Those who believe it did "back in the day" have rose tinted specs on. Its why the people that cared more about gameplay played PES (the good ones from PS2 era).

The problem is at EA, the left hand definitely does not talk to the right. EA AI guys certainly put in stuff can make the game interesting (this is obvious when you force some AI objectives on PC gameplay mods) but then the Gameplay team remove or nerf it because of UT.

On top of that, the gameplay is not designed to be realistic. Its designed for skill moves and 1v1. Its essentially Rocket League nowadays but with glue physics with a zillion helpers for casuals to feel like they are gods (just like Call of Duty with its controller aimbot).

We old heads will never get what we want. Thank god for mods :)

They have butchered the last hope of a decent sim gameplay with the last update, 2 passes and you are 1 on 1.

That is coming from someone who tries sliders/game speeds and different difficulty levels for days to get the right balance.

Pathetic

Lets be honest though. FIFA has never had an amazingly realistic, attribute driven, challenging gameplay. Those who believe it did "back in the day" have rose tinted specs on. Its why the people that cared more about gameplay played PES (the good ones from PS2 era).

The problem is at EA, the left hand definitely does not talk to the right. EA AI guys certainly put in stuff can make the game interesting (this is obvious when you force some AI objectives on PC gameplay mods) but then the Gameplay team remove or nerf it because of UT.

On top of that, the gameplay is not designed to be realistic. Its designed for skill moves and 1v1. Its essentially Rocket League nowadays but with glue physics with a zillion helpers for casuals to feel like they are gods (just like Call of Duty with its controller aimbot).

We old heads will never get what we want. Thank god for mods :)
"Glue physics" is the perfect description of what I've been struggling to articulate, spot on.

That, and the passing now being more on rails than the bad old days - every single pass is pinpoint DIRECT to a player (you or the opponent) and never even slightly loose, or requiring some recovery time to get the ball under control. Even on manual, I've noticed that unless I'm passing back to the keeper, it's like magnetic football.

As you say, it's not made for us... but this is the first time it's gone SO far the other way that it's just (in my opinion) unplayable. It's so far from football it's absolutely mind-blowing to me - but maybe this is where EAFC comes in.

With the FIFA license, maybe they had to keep up the pretence, and use words like "realism" and "authenticity". Without that, maybe they can be honest and market it more like Fortnite.

"Glue physics" is the perfect description of what I've been struggling to articulate, spot on.

That, and the passing now being more on rails than the bad old days - every single pass is pinpoint DIRECT to a player (you or the opponent) and never even slightly loose, or requiring some recovery time to get the ball under control. Even on manual, I've noticed that unless I'm passing back to the keeper, it's like magnetic football.

As you say, it's not made for us... but this is the first time it's gone SO far the other way that it's just (in my opinion) unplayable. It's so far from football it's absolutely mind-blowing to me - but maybe this is where EAFC comes in.

With the FIFA license, maybe they had to keep up the pretence, and use words like "realism" and "authenticity". Without that, maybe they can be honest and market it more like Fortnite.
You are likely more in the know than I but did you ever watch the Producer hype videos before a game release. The one that stuck in my mind was before FIFA 21 released, they had 4 guys on. 3 were Executive Producers. The reason the game is like it is, is totally down to their thought process. These are the people you should target your disgust at.
  • One of them is obsessed with skill moves (video shows him doing them in real life). Slightly paraphrasing but apparently football is all about skill and skill moves.
  • One of them is an ex Wrexham player. You'd think he would want more a tactical and technical side of the game. He explains stuff but you can see from the footage provided, the bugs and issues are clear to see. However, he was making out that this was intentional.
  • The last one is a guy who worked his way up through EA from games tester to Executive Producer in a very small amount of time. (wish I was that lucky in life!) He admits he is obsessed with Ultimate team.
FIFA 21's issue was a midfield - defence line gap, it was actually very obvious before its release too and shown in the videos. I fixed this in 1 EBX mod that took me 1 day of looking at it. It was never fixed in FIFA 21's cycle. That's the core issue with this game. Most of the issues people bring up, are intended!

My biggest bug bear is that only once in 12 years of FIFA modding have I ever seen "ATTRIBUTES" mentioned in a feature or "deep dive". They might as well not exist in the game and just be swapped for those shoddy Ultimate Team cards with 6 numbers on them because in vanilla, they do sweet f*ck all.

The only thing that could change in our favour for EAFC is that EA are hiring (or have hired) new Producers for the game and are on a massive recruitment drive for other positions too. Could see some big changes in the future. Good or bad.

Last edited:
EAFC needs a revolution in the customization aspect of gameplay ...

Not without a feedback revolution. Twitter was almost on fire to push them into removing all AI defending and making ultra responsive garbage, which was a process that took them at least 2 iterations. On the other hand, it's "let's buy it like we always do and it will be fine with the shot error slider at 100 and manual passing". Until the mythical november patch that supposedly ruined a perfectly good game / the best game in years. I see we've reached that point now. How predictable.

You are likely more in the know than I but did you ever watch the Producer hype videos before a game release. The one that stuck in my mind was before FIFA 21 released, they had 4 guys on. 3 were Executive Producers. The reason the game is like it is, is totally down to their thought process. These are the people you should target your disgust at.
  • One of them is obsessed with skill moves (video shows him doing them in real life). Slightly paraphrasing but apparently football is all about skill and skill moves.
  • One of them is an ex Wrexham player. You'd think he would want more a tactical and technical side of the game. He explains stuff but you can see from the footage provided, the bugs and issues are clear to see. However, he was making out that this was intentional.
  • The last one is a guy who worked his way up through EA from games tester to Executive Producer in a very small amount of time. (wish I was that lucky in life!) He admits he is obsessed with Ultimate team.
FIFA 21's issue was a midfield - defence line gap, it was actually very obvious before its release too and shown in the videos. I fixed this in 1 EBX mod that took me 1 day of looking at it. It was never fixed in FIFA 21's cycle. That's the core issue with this game. Most of the issues people bring up, are intended!

My biggest bug bear is that only once in 12 years of FIFA modding have I ever seen "ATTRIBUTES" mentioned in a feature or "deep dive". They might as well not exist in the game and just be swapped for those shoddy Ultimate Team cards with 6 numbers on them but in vanilla, they do sweet f*ck all.

The only thing that could change in our favour for EAFC is that EA are hiring (or have hired) new Producers for the game and are on a massive recruitment drive for other positions too. Could see some big changes in the future. Good or bad.
The ex-Wrexham player astounds me every year. You would imagine an ex-footballer would be there to make sure Liverpool v Lyon feels different from Wrexham v Wycombe, and wouldn't be happy putting his name to an ice-skating game where the flaws are painfully obvious in the fragments of gameplay footage they were showing off at that point (not minor things either - whole teams ignoring the opponent to let them run the length of the pitch to score at will).

Entirely agree with your analysis - a new producer could help us... but it's whether they're willing to fight for us. Especially since the focus always seems to be pleasing the high-spending customers they already have, and not in winning back those they lost (or winning over the new wave of "football nerds" who love all the punditry, podcasts, stats and data who may not be interested playing a game with zero authenticity).

But the biggest problem, IMO, is the guy at the top. Sam Rivera.

I'll never forget this answer on a live 22 Q&A, where the question was FINALLY asked about midfielders not tracking back (and the midfield being totally empty). The fact that the question was picked gave us all hope - and then...

..."there wouldn't be enough goals". It'd be too boring. There it is.

Then he has the balls to contradict himself and say they DO run back in 22 (so please buy it everyone) because of "attributes".

Sam Rivera.

I'll never forget this answer on a live 22 Q&A, where the question was FINALLY asked about midfielders not tracking back (and the midfield being totally empty). The fact that the question was picked gave us all hope - and then...

..."there wouldn't be enough goals". It'd be too boring. There it is.

Then he has the balls to contradict himself and say they DO run back in 22 (so please buy it everyone) because of "attributes".
Yes I remember lots of people mentioning that. What is odd. In 23, they've decided to move away (again) from that (after fixing it in 22) to this zonal stuff (which doesn't work). So in 4 years they've rewritten defensive positioning 3 times.

any patch notes?
Feature X that was working now is not (and we don't know why).
Fixed a bug in which feature Y would not work as intended from time to time: now it doesn't work at all anymore so to avoid any unforeseen behaviour.
We listened to you, fans! You asked for feature Z and while it's not in the game we're proud to announce that we introdiced feature K which is almost the same. Well, it's close to the exact opposite in reality.

Played 2 exhibition matches yesterday after the new patch. It’s on lightspeed again, didn’t expect anything other tbh. But what irritates me the most is, I had the feeling that the animations and ball physics are totally messed up now. Animations are more comical than ever. In one situation a midfielder of mine made an “overhead backheel marvel kick” to pass a high ball instead of a simple header. He floated in the air after that before falling down (I played with the Xbox Elite Controller, which has no share button, so I couldn’t record it). In another situation at the edge of the box the ball bounced straight high off a strikers feet when receiving the pass, so he made a 500 mph header into the net from his own “pass”. All in all I have the feeling the ball behaves more strange and inconsistent than ever.
I applied Matts latest slider set before and can’t even imagine how this has to be on default….

I'm not sure about the lightspeed, maybe how it plays in exhibition, but feel like there's been a slight increase in the backheels and flicks. Shame that's the choice regardless of the pass error value.

My biggest annoyance is the glued ball to foot animations when dribbling by moderate-to-high-skill dribblers. It's not as bad as when contextual dribbling is enabled, but it's tough to see.

Overall, I'm still having fun - especially after going on a long streak of slider testing over the last week.

Are you not finding the AI is even more direct now @Matt10, to the point of painful simplicity? Thought that would have been a higher annoyance on your list!

Before now I saw plenty of straight-line passes from defender-to-midfielder and then midfield-to-attacker, with defenders doing zero marking or closing-down to force anything more interesting (no build-up play whatsoever, just back-and-forth between boxes) - but now those passes seem constant, even with a mega-high marking slider. Maybe it just seems that way because of the speed increase others have noticed (and I have too).

Are you not finding the AI is even more direct now @Matt10, to the point of painful simplicity? Thought that would have been a higher annoyance on your list!

Before now I saw plenty of straight-line passes from defender-to-midfielder and then midfield-to-attacker, with defenders doing zero marking or closing-down to force anything more interesting (no build-up play whatsoever, just back-and-forth between boxes) - but now those passes seem constant, even with a mega-high marking slider. Maybe it just seems that way because of the speed increase others have noticed (and I have too).
When we were testing acceleration values, we tried a discrepancy of 50/51. That was the only time I felt like the CPU was ultra-direct, to the point it felt like pass error or pass speed didn't really matter anymore. Once the value was evened out, things went back to normal. With that said, the CPU plays how they've always done. They will exploit spaces, they will pass to where they are facing. The focus I had was that they make the logical pass. If they're being pressed, they should pass backward, if they're in a crossing position, they should cross. If they're isolated, they should take the man on, etc. I just get annoyed when the animation chosen is a forward pass via a backheel - reminds me a lot of PES 2019 early on.

The issue I have is the directness can come from a formation mismatch. A 3-5-2 vs a 4-1-4-1 doesn't really stand a chance, without significant modifications to instructions, because the user's midfield is much more passive - forcing a lot of defensive micromanagement (holding R1 and player switching a lot). At least it's not constantly a driven pass to the striker, then he can turn and shoot. If the ball goes to the attacker, they still have the presence to pass the ball out wide. I remember in FIFA 18, it was constantly driven pass to the striker while the defenders backed off 5 yards, and he could just turn and face.

Overall, from a slider perspective, the values are respected by the CPU. The things they do, I can do. From there it's about minimizing the real bad parts and the consistency of those bad parts. For example, we spent a lot of time testing DAA (Defensive Angle Animation - yes, I coined it years ago):

That's not something my players will suffer from though because I'll always be in control of them. But the CPU will suffer this exploit, and they'll do it a glitch kind of way that will break the immersion. Again though, it's about minimizing the consistency of things like this. So far, we've done that with the recent sliders - and that's really all we can ask for at this point.

I usually think when reading feedback "it can't be that bad, let me try it for myself". Caved yesterday and got it on discount for ps5. It is shockingly bad, my god. Played against a mate without sliders or anything.

The speed is shocking. Animations stilted, unearthly sprinting. Ball physics all fucked. No defensive positioning whatsoever, no awareness from the ai. Like zero. This has regressed in an astonishing way. FIFA 22 even is miles ahead of this. Genuinely gobsmacked. Perhaps I'll revisit this on career mode with sliders but this might be the worst FIFA I've ever played, ever.

For now it's back to my pes21 ML. Thank god that is still around, never thought I'd say that but here we are.

I usually think when reading feedback "it can't be that bad, let me try it for myself". Caved yesterday and got it on discount for ps5. It is shockingly bad, my god. Played against a mate without sliders or anything.

The speed is shocking. Animations stilted, unearthly sprinting. Ball physics all fucked. No defensive positioning whatsoever, no awareness from the ai. Like zero. This has regressed in an astonishing way. FIFA 22 even is miles ahead of this. Genuinely gobsmacked. Perhaps I'll revisit this on career mode with sliders but this might be the worst FIFA I've ever played, ever.

For now it's back to my pes21 ML. Thank god that is still around, never thought I'd say that but here we are.
Matts sliders make a huge difference, much better than 22

TITLE UPDATE #5

The latest Title Update will soon be available for the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC (EA app/Origin/Steam/Epic Games Store), PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Stadia versions of FIFA 23.

FIFA Ultimate Team

Addressed the following issues:
  • Placeholder images could appear on the shot comparison graphic when in a match.
  • In the Milestones section of the Objectives screen, trophies did not always display correctly.

Gameplay

Made the following changes:
  • Decreased the accuracy of Driven Lobbed Through Passes aimed away from where the passer is facing.
  • Lowered the ball trajectory height of Driven Lobbed Through Passes.

• In some cases, the ball carrier could unintentionally run over the ball when attempting to dribble with it.
  • In certain situations, the goalkeeper did not react to Ground Passes across the goal.
  • Sometimes a touch during a dribble could knock the ball further from the ball carrier than intended.
  • In some cases, appropriately powered Through Passes could incorrectly cause the ball to be hit out of play.
  • AI teammates could lunge for a ball that was far away from them even when the Pass Block Assistance setting was off.
  • In some situations, a defender could incorrectly attempt to shield the ball without being requested to do so.
  • When requesting an Outside Of The Foot Shot in some specific situations, a Flair Shot could have occurred instead.
  • When requesting a Flair Pass while locked to one player, the CPU AI would not attempt to perform a Flair Pass.
  • In rare throw in situations where an additional ball was present on the pitch and needed to be cleared, the player kicking the ball could have done it with unnecessary power.
  • The assistant referee starting position was not always correct at the start of a Playable Highlight.
  • In some cases, the goalkeeper could have incorrectly been allowed to pick up the ball with their hands after a player-controlled teammate cleared the ball towards them.
  • Improved referee logic when determining foul calls in situations where a player makes contact with the goalkeeper.
  • During Set Piece Skill Games, the camera would not always correctly orient itself behind the kick taker.

FIFA World Cup™

Addressed the following issue:
  • In Online Tournaments, the Knockout Stage UI could have incorrectly highlighted both participating teams’ paths with the same color.
  • In the Online Tournament final, some post-match scenes did not play.
  • Addressed a stability issue that could occur when restarting Featured Quickplay matches.

Career Mode

• In Player Career, the goalkeeper Attribute did not always display correctly on the Player Growth screen.

Pro Clubs x VOLTA FOOTBALL

• Addressed a stability issue that could occur in VOLTA Arcade.

General, Audio, and Visual

Made the following change:
  • Updated some badges, pre and post-match scenes, crowds, stadiums, kits, balls, headwear, facial hair, commentary lines, UI elements, menu text, and ad boards.

• An incorrect background could have displayed when switching between the main menu and Training Center.
  • Updated instances of incorrect text.
  • Some videos did not play correctly in the main menu.
  • In some cases, when selecting a language, the on-screen flag could display incorrectly.
  • Addressed instances of various stability issues.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish the gameplay was anything close to enjoyable for me... They've always been great at the "fluff" but it's definitely gone up a notch this year (excluding the lack of WC stadiums).

Back
Top Bottom