FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

But surely it does? Im a User Experience Designer in my day job and I regularly test games in my own time. Logic dictates that if you play on assisted, you are going to hit the target time and time again as thats the computational choice you've chosen. that in itself with effect keepers as they will be constantly and regularly called into action for scripted shots. With FUMA, the control is on me, so the keeper is forced to react in different ways because my shot is not predefined based on position and power.

Im not sure how people do not understand this concept. If I try a long ball on FUMA, 7 times out of 10 it will go to the opposition or out of play, if I do it assisted it will go to my player barring an interception.

The issue with Fifa keepers is it's already decided if it's a goal or not as soon as you hit the shoot button.

The issue with Fifa keepers is it's already decided if it's a goal or not as soon as you hit the shoot button.
How can that be on FUMA? Ive regularly skied shots and put it so wide its nearly hit the corner flag I had 7 shots last night with Bayern agents Augsburg and I hit the target 3 times, one off the bar, one off the post and a keeper save. The other four where off target. On assisted yes and even on semi that might be or should be the case.

Ever played a game as a FUMA player against someone who plays on assisted? You can see the difference off the bat. Ive lost every multiplayer game against friends and family when playing that way by a massive margin.

How can that be on FUMA? Ive regularly skied shots and put it so wide its nearly hit the corner flag I had 7 shots last night with Bayern agents Augsburg and I hit the target 3 times, one off the bar, one off the post and a keeper save. The other four where off target. On assisted yes and even on semi that might be or should be the case.

Ever played a game as a FUMA player against someone who plays on assisted? You can see the difference off the bat. Ive lost every multiplayer game against friends and family when playing that way by a massive margin.

I've been a FUMA player for years, since around 2009. But that is the way the keepers have always worked no matter what controller setting you use. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but i'm 99% sure. You often see them sit on their arse as soon as you press the shoot button.

I've been a FUMA player for years, since around 2009. But that is the way the keepers have always worked no matter what controller setting you use. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but i'm 99% sure. You often see them sit on their arse as soon as you press the shoot button.
This. It was even stated by the producers, afaik.

Logic dictates that if you play on assisted, you are going to hit the target time and time again as thats the computational choice you've chosen.

Im not sure how people do not understand this concept. If I try a long ball on FUMA, 7 times out of 10 it will go to the opposition or out of play

Well, thank you! This is actually perfectly understood.

So the only thing it fixes is your personal preference of not hitting the target too often. Not the GKs, or the defending. And anytime you do hit the target, no matter how often (and it can still be pretty often if your aim is good), the same problems can and will surface. So at the end of the day it's as if it's a personal preference setting that fixes no defensive issue in particular. You just prefer it and enjoy the resulting game and that's fine.

But "missing the target" is just not a substitute/solution for passes and shots that should be stopped because of proper defending & any broken defending mechanics are not magically a non issue.

Last edited:
Well, thank you! This is actually perfectly understood.

So the only thing it fixes is your personal preference of not hitting the target too often. Not the GKs, or the defending. And anytime you do hit the target, no matter how often (and it can still be pretty often if your aim is good), the same problems can and will surface. So at the end of the day it's as if it's a personal preference setting that fixes no defensive issue in particular. You just prefer it and enjoy the resulting game and that's fine.

But "missing the target" is just not a substitute/solution for passes and shots that should be stopped because of proper defending & any broken defending mechanics are not magically a non issue.
Thats not completely true though. I don't win every game and the scores have been respectable, like 0-0s and 2-1s. I guess its horses for courses.

Bottom line is football games are a wreck in 2022. At least in Fifa I can play some single player games and at least try to tweak the game to my liking. Not like the other muck with 7 teams to pick from over and over. Anyway I hope you guys find some solutions.

Just to clarify...I hate Fifa and all what it stands for. Ive never touched FUT, ive played one match on multiplayer. I hate Volta, I hate the branding of Mbappe or any other overpaid clown. I (mostly) hate the music and all of the other tat. The Eurogamer review posted here nailed it completely.

The only thing I like is being able to throw on a quick single player match with any league I choose for a short burst of football fix. And I got it for free so cant complain.

To be fair its in parallel with the real sport, overhyped, overblown, pay to win and corrupt. So maybe it is like real life.

This is so on the money I want to celebrate.

"Notice how these spinoff communities - cottage industries - all take on the exact form of those that would sell you on the art of actual day trading: buy my book, take my course, join my Patreon and I'll teach you how, with just one hour a day, my trading technique bought me this house, this watch, this Ultimate Beast Mbappé with 99 Pace. Now notice the link between football fandom - talking real football for a second - and betting; how many betting sponsors there are on professional teams' shirts, on stadium ad boards, in half-time breaks or owned by the broadcasters themselves. And also the link between football fandom and asset trading: cryptocurrency, Socios tokens, a pseudo stock market called the Football Index, all the star players suckered into selling their own NFTs, how many fans bought them, and how all of them, without exception, have since sunk to a value close to zero."

yes, yes, yes. YouTubers are making careers out of this and sucking others along for the ride. I hate every single one of them. Every single one. (Except Matt :D)

Thats not completely true though. I don't win every game and the scores have been respectable, like 0-0s and 2-1s. I guess its horses for courses.

Bottom line is football games are a wreck in 2022. At least in Fifa I can play some single player games and at least try to tweak the game to my liking. Not like the other muck with 7 teams to pick from over and over. Anyway I hope you guys find some solutions.
I can usually get by with tweaking settings to my liking. For example, I played FIFA 20 for two years with slider changes etc.

But in my opinion there is no fixing FIFA 23. It’s so unpredictable with its bugs and weird stuff.

Hopefully by the time the game reaches the sales, it will have been patched a few times and we get better goalkeepers. If that happens I will pick it up when it’s 20 quid or so.

Glad you’re enjoying it mate.

With regards to FUMA, I love that it's there as an option, and that attributes seemingly do have an impact on it so that it's not entirely manual (which would override the point of playing as a certain team, or player).

I just wish the error that's introduced with FUMA - or more importantly, the "doubt" it introduces to the human player that forces them to slow their play down and find the right pass - was replicated by the AI. But in my experience (and I have tried it), it's not, even with sliders. They continue to hit 4-5 passes and get into the box, against me and against each other.

(But that's just the way it is, and as you've said @Antoine, that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just an acquired taste.)

It's like the way fouls are non-existent - because players so rarely come into contact, because players have to be positioned miles and miles away from each-other, in order to completely ban "AI defending". I've fiddled with the marking slider but it still doesn't happen, because attackers have a massive movement and intelligence advantage over defenders.

"AI attacking" isn't a problem to the eSports guys, but "AI defending" is, so the balance is destroyed (if you're a sim guy) with no option to truly effectively bridge that gap.

What does this mean in the Eurogamer review?
"There are other additions, and they're positive. You can now turn off negative commentary, which I truly love."

????

I can usually get by with tweaking settings to my liking. For example, I played FIFA 20 for two years with slider changes etc.

But in my opinion there is no fixing FIFA 23. It’s so unpredictable with its bugs and weird stuff.

Hopefully by the time the game reaches the sales, it will have been patched a few times and we get better goalkeepers. If that happens I will pick it up when it’s 20 quid or so.

Glad you’re enjoying it mate.
I wouldn't have bought it to be fair, I had planned on avoiding it, but got it for free so tried it with no risk. I understand those that are not willing to part with cash.

Dakar Desert Rally is good though!

"There are other additions, and they're positive. You can now turn off negative commentary, which I truly love."

????
There's an option in the audio settings to turn off negative commentary. It's there for kids, I think. So if you hit a terrible shot, the commentator won't say "that was an awful shot", they'll just say "that'll be a goal kick".

Lots of people will be upset by it and massively overreact ("woke brigade" bullshit coming in 3... 2... 1... EDIT: LOL, knew it) but it doesn't affect me so I'm not too fussed.

Last edited:

????
It's part of the global "woke in your face" plan. You can't say anything negative to anybody because you might offend him. The same applies to FIFA commentary. They HAVE to make you feel you're special and encourage you to play more without negative commentator lines. Your shooting is abysmal, your position in the league is atrocious, don't worry! Both commentators won't say anything because you might feel depressed and seek for psychological support.

Hi folks

I have made a test with two matches : FC Barcelona Vs Majorca and United Vs Liverpool with my last sliders
I played an half in 4-3-2-1 and the other in 4-2-4
I have test in Legend and after Champion

We saw the differents between World Cup and Legend, but both are nice to play and the importance of the strategy
Enjoy!

Barca – Majorque – Legend - FUMA

Barca – Majorque – WC - FUMA

United Vs Liverpool – Legend - FUMA

United Vs Liverpool – WC - FUMA

There's an option in the audio settings to turn off negative commentary. It's there for kids, I think. So if you hit a terrible shot, the commentator won't say "that was an awful shot", they'll just say "that'll be a goal kick".

Lots of people will be upset by it and massively overreact ("woke brigade" bullshit coming in 3... 2... 1... EDIT: LOL, knew it) but it doesn't affect me so I'm not too fussed.
Thats a really strange addition! Thanks for answering.

Hi folks

I have made a test with two matches : FC Barcelona Vs Majorca and United Vs Liverpool with my last sliders
I played an half in 4-3-2-1 and the other in 4-2-4
I have test in Legend and after Champion

We saw the differents between World Cup and Legend, but both are nice to play and the importance of the strategy
Enjoy!

Barca – Majorque – Legend - FUMA

Barca – Majorque – WC - FUMA

United Vs Liverpool – Legend - FUMA

United Vs Liverpool – WC - FUMA

I watched the last United v Liverpool match and I mean no disrespect and it’s my honest opinion - but everything looks so unnatural. The gliding, the passes going really slow one moment then firing away at a hundred mph the next.

There’s just no consistency with the game. I think it really struggles with Hypermotion.

Which reminds me actually - this game is better on PS4 / XONE. I downloaded the trial on EA Play (Series X) and it plays a much smoother, consistent game. GKs are still broke in that version as well though unfortunately.

Playing about with sliders and got the game playing well. Check the sliders thread for them. Really reduces the amount of shooting and goals from default gameplay
I’ll have a look at them. I’m going to give this game one more try on last gen.

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/632345/fifa-23-title-update-2#latest

The new title update has been announced.

Ground passes are going to get even faster (insane) and the AI is going to get EVEN MORE DIRECT...

What offline player asked for the AI to be EVEN MORE DIRECT? It's 4-5 passes until they get to the box as it is, will it be 2-3 now? Or 1?
I hope that the pass directness is only changed in the attacking-third and not in the build up. I hope it will make AI play less ping-pong passing in the attacking-third.

I just wish the error that's introduced with FUMA - or more importantly, the "doubt" it introduces to the human player that forces them to slow their play down and find the right pass - was replicated by the AI. But in my experience (and I have tried it), it's not, even with sliders. They continue to hit 4-5 passes and get into the box, against me and against each other.
This is a big issue unfortunately.
The way people usually try to balance AI is by lowering difficulty.
On lower difficulties AI SHOULD play slower, with more error. More human like. Unfortunately this wasnt the case recently. AI was just... dumber.

But even when, few years ago, AI was playing more human on lower difficulties - after a while you had another issue.

Balancing AI by lowering difficulty works only for a period of time. When you get used to Full Manual and get somewhat decent at it - you kinda have to UP the Difficulty, which brings back ping-pong AI.

I always preferred PES professional difficulty when playing FUMA, as it did feel more natural, more human and prone to error.
But going from Professional to Top Class was usually a big leap into ping-pong/scripting/frustration.
In Fifa the difference doesnt seem so drastic, but on the other hand - they all ping pong the ball a little bit too freely and frequently, regardless of the difficulty.

I watched the last United v Liverpool match and I mean no disrespect and it’s my honest opinion - but everything looks so unnatural. The gliding, the passes going really slow one moment then firing away at a hundred mph the next.

There’s just no consistency with the game. I think it really struggles with Hypermotion.

Which reminds me actually - this game is better on PS4 / XONE. I downloaded the trial on EA Play (Series X) and it plays a much smoother, consistent game. GKs are still broke in that version as well though unfortunately.
Hum no. The game is far better on PS5/Series X . The videos are accelerate sometimes on YouTube i don't know why. I don't have this bug when i upload Xbox Series videos.

The footplanting is better on WC because the game Plays slower. It was a quick example. Hypermotion is really a great feature who need some work but a good step in the right direction.

Has anyone noticed the flair players such as neymar, messi etc having decent player id when playing against the computer offline? I remember pes always being decent with regards to player Id.

Hum no. The game is far better on PS5/Series X . The videos are accelerate sometimes on YouTube i don't know why. I don't have this bug when i upload Xbox Series videos.

The footplanting is better on WC because the game Plays slower. It was a quick example. Hypermotion is really a great feature who need some work but a good step in the right direction.
I’ve been playing Xbox One version and Series X isn’t a “lot better” - in fact, the ‘Next Gen’ versions are far more full of glitches and weird stuff. In my opinion of course :)

A good example of the weird visual stuff on next gen - the ball still has that weird trail effect following it when you shoot, white or light coloured kits glow, in cut scenes you see crazy stuff like fans jumping up and down on invisible floors etc.

I’ve seen so many bugs and glitches on the Series x version and it was the same with FIFA22. Hypermotion makes the games do funky stuff. Game would be better without that crap as on last gen, you don’t need any of this (apart from the terrible goal keepers which is on all platforms!)

Last edited:
I don't think you are a hater, I just think you are a guy not satisfied with the level of football gaming we should be expecting in 2022. Theres is a massive chasm that could be filled in the market if someone was to produce a proper, single player football sim. But everything is geared towards online, building teams and spending real cash to win and thus a money making cashcow for big orgs.

Maybe its because I only pick up and play these things in spurts that means I don't really feel massively and adversely effected by them. The game I play most is modded Pes 21 on PC which I really enjoy.

I don't know whats in store next year. With the Fifa license going, one of the only reasons to pick up Fifa was the real teams and presentation and now you're gonna get a scattered experience of real and fake teams to whoever pitches the most money to buy them. Days of playing a career or a league will be gone and you won't be able to play a representation of any league that you enjoy. I find that terribly sad, although with a good community you can continue to update players and kits on pc with Pes.

I totally get peoples frustrations. maybe im just too long in the tooth to care anymore, I used to rant on here with the best of them. Maybe thats why I don't play football games as regular as I used to, and as such it’s made it slightly more palatable to endure.

Just wanted to say that you’re wrong about the FIFA license. It doesn’t have any effect on licensing going forward. EA won’t lose the leagues & teams they have now. Nothing changes apart from the name. I don’t know why you suddenly think authentic presentation or all the major licensed teams will suddenly leave EA. We’ve known for ages that this isn’t the case at all.

I’ve been playing Xbox One version and Series X isn’t a “lot better” - in fact, the ‘Next Gen’ versions are far more full of glitches and weird stuff. In my opinion of course :)

A good example of the weird visual stuff on next gen - the ball still has that weird trail effect following it when you shoot, white or light coloured kits glow, in cut scenes you see crazy stuff like fans jumping up and down on invisible floors etc.

I’ve seen so many bugs and glitches on the Series x version and it was the same with FIFA. Hypermotion makes the games do funky stuff. Game would be better without that crap (in my opinion of course!)
It only depend of the speed. There are more strange animations sometime, you're right. But in 95% it really nice. I spoke only about animations. I can't play on PS4/one anymore.

Just wanted to say that you’re wrong about the FIFA license. It doesn’t have any effect on licensing going forward. EA won’t lose the leagues & teams they have now. Nothing changes apart from the name. I don’t know why you suddenly think authentic presentation or all the major licensed teams will suddenly leave EA. We’ve known for ages that this isn’t the case at all.
Ok so what they will do is package those leagues up and sell you them individually would be my bet.

Ok so what they will do is package those leagues up and sell you them individually would be my bet.
I don’t see how or why they would need to do that. EA Sports FC 24 will be the same exact thing that would’ve been FIFA 24. They might add some new features like they do every year but I doubt much changes. It’s EA after all.

Back
Top Bottom