FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I think my main problem with the game is just how the AI attack once they're near the box, they turn into classic Arsenal who must score the perfect pass, pass, tap in goal. Seldom take long shots, seldom cross from wide, get that tweaked and it'll be lovely (closer marking and midfielders that drop back would be nice too but then we all know that!) :)

Check the sliders from @saturator are shooting from ourside the box quite a bit (may also depend on difficulty though too) I'm on professional full.manual , definitely the most human level but may be too easy for some

Check the sliders from @saturator are shooting from ourside the box quite a bit (may also depend on difficulty though too) I'm on professional full.manual , definitely the most human level but may be too easy for some
On professional the opponent AI felt even dumber to me. Doing that one step move in midfield a lot, where you just go by…
Was playing prof a long time but switched to WC for the last 2 titles.

@Matt10 anyway to get the ai to play a bit smarter? Think I have the pace down and on default speed things seem fine, except the ai gives the ball away a lot.in attacking positions.

Hmm, I'd say lower pass error gradually and raise run frequency a tad. Nothing too crazy though. The CPU will definitely try to break you down in different ways, which means they won't be as accurate in pressure spots.

I think my main problem with the game is just how the AI attack once they're near the box, they turn into classic Arsenal who must score the perfect pass, pass, tap in goal. Seldom take long shots, seldom cross from wide, get that tweaked and it'll be lovely (closer marking and midfielders that drop back would be nice too but then we all know that!) :)
Yeah, we've been working on just trying to get more bodies in front of them so they have to pass around vs just going forward so often.

That 99 cent ea play offer is not active anymore (maybe in another country), is it!? used it with my main account. I tried to sub with another account but can’t find the offer anymore.

and btw, @Matt10 please show us more of those sliders seen in the snippet above in action! 😊

Last edited:
Goalkeepers are so bad. I'm 100% convinced that sliders make no difference to them.
They make little difference unfortunately. I found that keepers were still letting shots go straight through them and I had GK Ability set to 75.

This stuff happens far too regularly, it’s actually laughable now:

The game is a mess.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I set GK sliders to 55 earlier and there were two physically impossible saves the AI keeper made from point-blank range. The shot was 100mph and the goalkeeper's animation speed tripled, and the guy went from standing in the middle of the goal, to crouched and pushing the ball away in the corner of the goal, when the shot was within the six-yard box.

I set it back to 50 and lo-and-behold, the keeper very deliberately put his hands above a soft shot to let it go in.

That's FIFA in a nutshell for me - the whole game is just a series of physically impossible or outright dumb things that happen to make sure the pass is made, or the goal is scored. Ignoring any kind of rules (like "limbs can't pass through each other", let alone "players work as a team") to ensure constant forward motion.

I keep giving the trial a chance and coming away absolutely bewildered; I've never played a football game so backwards-engineered.

So my views so far after spending about a week or so with it.

Its not a bad game per se, its basically MOTD highlights in little chunks. If you are expecting a slow paced sim and to play games at 10 or more minutes a half you might be disappointed. But for pick up and play and playing a few Bundesliga or Prem matches I think it does the job.

I found a set of sliders on Youtube that I found helped control the slide nature of the players much better. I found the pace a little two slow with the lowering of pass speed etc so then moved the option to fast paced to keep the balance.

Pros:

• Its a blast playing 5 minute halves, deffo MOTD or sky highlights feel to it
  • The range of animations in hyper motion is astonishing and ive seen some great plays and goals
  • Keepers are quite good I feel. occasionally they make errors but ive been impressed with them.
  • The flair pass modifier is a bit of a game changer much like advanced through ball on pes 21. You can do some lovely outside of the boot passes and through balls
  • Theres an incredible range of shots available
  • The ai is much improved. Could be better but definitely smarter than last year.
  • Presentation as always
  • Better running mechanics than the stick like Fifa 22

Cons

• Sometimes the passing can be too powerful even when you knock the speed down
  • Playing slow-paced messes with the mechanics of the game
  • All types of headers can be overpowered at times. Sometimes you want a delicate flick or you want to head it away regularly, but sometimes it flies like a bullet or goes a 1,000 ft in the air.
  • I still think player models need work, Pes 21 players still look better and more recognisable at a distance
  • If you don't adjust sliders, players noticeably skate all over the place.
  • Crossing could be a bit better for both yourself and AI

All in all im quite pleased considering I got it for free and I wasn't going to touch it with a barge pole. it just remains to be seen if EA mess it up through patching, which I suspect they will.

They re not that bad, seen some pretty good stuff from them in all fairness.
I honestly don't know how you can say "they're not that bad" given the video posted above. The evidence is pretty strong that they are.

Unless you mean "when they don't actively avoid the ball, they're great", which really sums up all the praise of FIFA I'm seeing so far - "you have to ignore the very obviously broken and/or cartoon-physics bits but if you can do that, it's great". Which just blows my mind. There's a Grand Canyon-sized chasm between "no game is perfect", and this happening regularly:

I honestly don't know how you can say "they're not that bad" given the video posted above. The evidence is pretty strong that they are.

Unless you mean "when they don't actively avoid the ball, they're great", which really sums up all the praise of FIFA I'm seeing so far - "you have to ignore the very obviously broken and/or cartoon-physics bits but if you can do that, it's great". Which just blows my mind. There's a Grand Canyon-sized chasm between "no game is perfect", and this happening regularly:

But thats one example Chris. I won't deny I haven't seen that happen, but it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe its to do with controller setup? I play full manual so maybe that has less of an effect on the keepers than semi or assisted which would mean shots are constantly at the goal which ups the percentage of failing keepers, I dunno. I can only say things based upon my experience.

But thats one example Chris. I won't deny I haven't seen that happen, but it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe its to do with controller setup? I play full manual so maybe that has less of an effect on the keepers than semi or assisted which would mean shots are constantly at the goal which ups the percentage of failing keepers, I dunno. I can only say things based upon my experience.
It’s not one example mate. I finished my trial this morning and it happens time and time again.

The AI is all over the damn place and it’s not just me seeing it, Reddit members are posting the same kind of thread every single day.

This game is broke. I have tried three different sets of sliders now. The game is ridiculously fast even when I turn to acceleration down to 47 and sprint speed to ZERO (this is on ‘Slow-Paced’ too).

And if I see “maybe it’s the control settings” or “maybe it’s because you don’t play on FUMA” then I’m going to scream. This game is a mess. If it was Cyberpunk or The Last of Us, people would be losing their minds.

This is FIFA 22 but on speed. With worse goalkeepers.

So my views so far after spending about a week or so with it.

Its not a bad game per se, its basically MOTD highlights in little chunks. If you are expecting a slow paced sim and to play games at 10 or more minutes a half you might be disappointed. But for pick up and play and playing a few Bundesliga or Prem matches I think it does the job.

I found a set of sliders on Youtube that I found helped control the slide nature of the players much better. I found the pace a little two slow with the lowering of pass speed etc so then moved the option to fast paced to keep the balance.

Pros:

• Its a blast playing 5 minute halves, deffo MOTD or sky highlights feel to it
  • The range of animations in hyper motion is astonishing and ive seen some great plays and goals
  • Keepers are quite good I feel. occasionally they make errors but ive been impressed with them.
  • The flair pass modifier is a bit of a game changer much like advanced through ball on pes 21. You can do some lovely outside of the boot passes and through balls
  • Theres an incredible range of shots available
  • The ai is much improved. Could be better but definitely smarter than last year.
  • Presentation as always
  • Better running mechanics than the stick like Fifa 22

Cons

• Sometimes the passing can be too powerful even when you knock the speed down
  • Playing slow-paced messes with the mechanics of the game
  • All types of headers can be overpowered at times. Sometimes you want a delicate flick or you want to head it away regularly, but sometimes it flies like a bullet or goes a 1,000 ft in the air.
  • I still think player models need work, Pes 21 players still look better and more recognisable at a distance
  • If you don't adjust sliders, players noticeably skate all over the place.
  • Crossing could be a bit better for both yourself and AI

All in all im quite pleased considering I got it for free and I wasn't going to touch it with a barge pole. it just remains to be seen if EA mess it up through patching, which I suspect they will.

I stopped reading at "Keepers are quite good", sorry!

I think for the last few days the discussion has run in circles.

Those who enjoy the game with sliders, controller adjustments enjoy it and won't change their opinion and at the same time the ones who think it is a broken mess, feel it doesn't work and so on will not suddenly enjoy this game. I think both sides have established their opinions and no matter how many videos are posted by each side, how many arguments you make pro or con be it: "look at these slider settings" or "look at this video what the AI is doing" will convince the other side to change their mind.

Some will enjoy it, so let them enjoy it and asking them again and again: "how can you enjoy this, look what happened in this clip" won't change their enjoyment and maybe it should be respected. At the same time telling people who don't like it: "you just need to try Fuma or these setting" will also not suddenly make them have fun and that should be respected as well.

it is different tastes and expectations and that is fine for both sides.

And if I see “maybe it’s the control settings” or “maybe it’s because you don’t play on FUMA” then I’m going to scream. This game is a mess. If it was Cyberpunk or The Last of Us, people would be losing their minds.

This idea that manual, a personal preference input setting, fixes GKs, defending, climate change, and all problems is really on the verge of becoming a religion. Amazing it persists given it's completely illogical.

Last edited:
But thats one example Chris.
It seems like there is no "fair argument" in response to this. If I reply with 10 examples, I'm a hater. If I provide one, then "come on, it's only one example". So I'm in shackles here - whatever I say, if you're enjoying the game, I'm some kind of troll.

I respect that you're enjoying the game, and I'm saying all of what I'm about to say because this is a discussion board and I'm here to discuss everything about football games - not because I have to shout down all positivity about the game. Please trust me on that.

But as much as you're obviously not seeing this issue yourself, I'm so sick of this argument in general. You're not seeing it, but it's happening all the time to me (and clearly to others).

If it didn't - if it was a bug - I wouldn't say anything (like those videos of players jumping 10ft off the ground). But this is very clearly a game mechanic.

I swear, I could play five games and upload at least 2-3 examples of the goalkeepers "not trying". I don't, because I'm not here to troll. But I promise you, it is not a rare occurrence, and I promise your controller settings don't impact what your keeper (or the AI keeper) does.

All I can do is point you to all the times I've pointed this out when it happened in FIFA 22, alongside @Flipper the Priest (who has said on several occasions he won't play FIFA again until this is "fixed" - but it can't be, because the core of how the game works is players "bending around" the required result of the pass/shot for the sake of the eSports audience) - and hope that you can accept my point.

I think for the last few days the discussion has run in circles.

Those who enjoy the game with sliders, controller adjustments enjoy it and won't change their opinion and at the same time the ones who think it is a broken mess, feel it doesn't work and so on will not suddenly enjoy this game. I think both sides have established their opinions and no matter how many videos are posted by each side, how many arguments you make pro or con be it: "look at these slider settings" or "look at this video what the AI is doing" will convince the other side to change their mind.

Some will enjoy it, so let them enjoy it and asking them again and again: "how can you enjoy this, look what happened in this clip" won't change their enjoyment and maybe it should be respected. At the same time telling people who don't like it: "you just need to try Fuma or these setting" will also not suddenly make them have fun and that should be respected as well.

it is different tastes and expectations and that is fine for both sides.
So what you're saying is, "let's all stop discussing things". On a discussion board.

All positivity must be respected. Where does the fair critique go then? That shouldn't be respected?

Disagreeing is not trolling.

So what you're saying is, "let's all stop discussing things". On a discussion board.

All positivity must be respected - and all critique silenced. You see that, right?
Actually no this is not what i meant and sorry if it was misunderstood. it seemed to me like it became a bit personal with each side heavily trying to convince each other. Like you said you feel being accused as a troll when you post multiple clips, others might feel attacked when it is said FUMA is like a religion.

What I meant is to not so heavily try to convince each others personal opinion. If you don't like it it should be respected or if you like it the same
but not to silence critique.

If you don't like the goalkeepers you should post about it and clips about it, what I meant is: maybe someone else shouldn't then quote you and write: just try FUMA or let's phrase it more clear: "how can you not like them" Since it is more about tastes.

I was more about maybe phrasing things differently and less challenging to each other.

Sorry if it came off as saying: there shouldn't be discussions or critique, because of course there should.

I love and appreciate the effort that everyone goes to with sliders, and I was enjoying the ones from Matt. But, the game just feels like such a slog. For me against the AI things just get boring so quickly. If I'm playing a mid table side every game seems to be the same, then if I play a top side I actually think the game is easier as they tend to press and play a high line and it's easy to beat.
Just find myself playing 3 games max and thinking I can't wait for this half to end. I really have to tell myself i'm enjoying it more than I actually am. Again, this is proven when I pick up the Switch version and have genuine fun playing.
God knows what they've done to the Career mode menus, bloody awful. Then amongst hundreds of other things there's just so many transparent "we don't care about you" issues, like subs. 7 subs on the bench, no matter which league etc. So so lazy, such a simple thing to code.

others might feel attacked it is said FUMA is like a religion.

Come on now, I didn't say that fuma is like a religion, I said that this idea that fuma fixes totally unrelated things is like a religion. Because those other things are well, totally unrelated and there's zero evidence or logic to support these claims. So don't misquote please, there's no attacking people, only this specific unfounded idea/theory.

The AI behavior is the exact same whether you play on manual, semi or assisted. They will defend or fail to defend the exact same situations, they will make the same movements, they will take the same positions. It doesn't change the game.

Last edited:
Actually no this is not what i meant and sorry if it was misunderstood. it seemed to me like it became a bit personal with each side heavily trying to convince each other. Like you said you feel being accused as a troll when you post multiple clips, others might feel attacked when it is said FUMA is like a religion.

What I meant is to not so heavily try to convince each others personal opinion. If you don't like it it should be respected or if you like it the same
but not to silence critique.

If you don't like the goalkeepers you should post about it and clips about it, what I meant is: maybe someone else shouldn't then quote you and write: just try FUMA or let's phrase it more clear: "how can you not like them" Since it is more about tastes.

I was more about maybe phrasing things differently and less challenging to each other.

Sorry if it came off as saying: there shouldn't be discussions or critique, because of course there should.
I get what you're saying man. I think sometimes the sentiment for posting various clips etc is a little misunderstood as well. Not by you, but in the way they can be received in general. Posting specific examples of problems (fundamental issues in particular) aren't just done to say 'look how bad this game is', but rather to isolate specifics, cast more eyes on the issue and to dig a little deeper in the hope we can collectively make a change - or get the information to the right people who can.

I actually envy the people who enjoy this.
I wish that I could re adjust my brain. But I was seeing so much bizarre stuff that I just couldn’t persist with it.

I love football gaming, like all of us here. I don’t need perfection, it doesn’t exist and never has.

But I expect the basics if I’m paying £60 for a game. And goal keepers letting the ball go straight through their hands over and over again, with sliders and without, on World Class and on Legendary difficulty - is not acceptable.

And as for sliders - I refuse to spend the next 12 months messing around with them just because EA can’t be bothered or rather refuse to give us single players a decent game. I’m not wasting my free time doing that crap again - I learned from last year that we will never get FIFA playing like actual football we watch on tv or in the stands.

Most of the time finding that ‘slider sweet spot’ is placebo effect anyway. As I’ll enjoy that particular change for one match and then the next game I’m tearing my hair out again and getting frustrated because the AI defender glides across the pitch impersonating a crab.

Footy games which are over 20 years old now didn’t even do this shit. EA are a joke.

I stopped reading at "Keepers are quite good", sorry!
If the keepers were broken the game would be finishing constantly in double figures. Bit of a reach there, excuse the pun.

Theres no doubt ive seen keeper errors, but not on the scale of every game. Ive been a staunch critic of this game for years so I wouldn't hold back if that was the case.

It seems like there is no "fair argument" in response to this. If I reply with 10 examples, I'm a hater. If I provide one, then "come on, it's only one example". So I'm in shackles here - whatever I say, if you're enjoying the game, I'm some kind of troll.

I respect that you're enjoying the game, and I'm saying all of what I'm about to say because this is a discussion board and I'm here to discuss everything about football games - not because I have to shout down all positivity about the game. Please trust me on that.

But as much as you're obviously not seeing this issue yourself, I'm so sick of this argument in general. You're not seeing it, but it's happening all the time to me (and clearly to others).

If it didn't - if it was a bug - I wouldn't say anything (like those videos of players jumping 10ft off the ground). But this is very clearly a game mechanic.

I swear, I could play five games and upload at least 2-3 examples of the goalkeepers "not trying". I don't, because I'm not here to troll. But I promise you, it is not a rare occurrence, and I promise your controller settings don't impact what your keeper (or the AI keeper) does.

All I can do is point you to all the times I've pointed this out when it happened in FIFA 22, alongside @Flipper the Priest (who has said on several occasions he won't play FIFA again until this is "fixed" - but it can't be, because the core of how the game works is players "bending around" the required result of the pass/shot for the sake of the eSports audience) - and hope that you can accept my point.

All positivity must be respected. Where does the fair critique go then? That shouldn't be respected?

Disagreeing is not trolling.
I don't think you are a hater, I just think you are a guy not satisfied with the level of football gaming we should be expecting in 2022. Theres is a massive chasm that could be filled in the market if someone was to produce a proper, single player football sim. But everything is geared towards online, building teams and spending real cash to win and thus a money making cashcow for big orgs.

Maybe its because I only pick up and play these things in spurts that means I don't really feel massively and adversely effected by them. The game I play most is modded Pes 21 on PC which I really enjoy.

I don't know whats in store next year. With the Fifa license going, one of the only reasons to pick up Fifa was the real teams and presentation and now you're gonna get a scattered experience of real and fake teams to whoever pitches the most money to buy them. Days of playing a career or a league will be gone and you won't be able to play a representation of any league that you enjoy. I find that terribly sad, although with a good community you can continue to update players and kits on pc with Pes.

I totally get peoples frustrations. maybe im just too long in the tooth to care anymore, I used to rant on here with the best of them. Maybe thats why I don't play football games as regular as I used to, and as such its made it slightly more palatable to endure.

This idea that manual, a personal preference input setting, fixes GKs, defending, climate change, and all problems is really on the verge of becoming a religion. Amazing it persists given it's completely illogical.
But surely it does? Im a User Experience Designer in my day job and I regularly test games in my own time. Logic dictates that if you play on assisted, you are going to hit the target time and time again as thats the computational choice you've chosen. That in itself will effect keepers as they will be constantly and regularly called into action for scripted shots. With FUMA, the control is on me, so the keeper is forced to react in different ways because my shot is not predefined based on position and power.

Im not sure how people do not understand this concept. If I try a long ball on FUMA, 7 times out of 10 it will go to the opposition or out of play, if I do it assisted it will go to my player barring an interception.

Back
Top Bottom