FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Well there we go, that's the "video of the AI making 4-5 passes sideways and/or backwards in the midfield" I was looking for. I've never seen that.

But even if I could get my game to do that:

1) It's a total one-off - just look at 3:15. Seven first-time passes in a row (between the two teams). Those insane reflexes and the ping-pong passing is ever-present. But it's not an isolated incident - it's almost constant.

4:17 is exactly the same. Passpasspasspasspasspasspassgoal. I don't know how you celebrate such a weird, impossible move. I can't lie to myself and pretend that isn't happening constantly, just to enjoy the shot physics.

2) Does the gameplay in general not just look super weird to everyone?

The passes in-particular. You can see he's using sliders to slow the game down, but it doesn't stop the ping-pong. The ball looks like it's slogging through mud but the AI is still hitting first-time passes and getting the ball forward ASAP. Slow-mo ping-pong... It looks so bizarre.

There's instances of passes flying off a player's foot at impossible angles, too - where the body and the foot is at one angle, and the ball suddenly starts moving at a 90° angle to them without the leg or foot kicking in that direction, with instant power transfer (without the kick to transfer it) if that makes sense.

Those who like the game will say that's nitpicking but it's really not - it's just about what you want from a football game. The technically and physically impossible happens constantly and I can't not see it. The old PES PS2 games are horribly basic and yet IMO they nailed this stuff, with fairly strict restrictions on what was humanly possible, and providing a real challenge to break through the middle.

The lack of any footplanting makes the players look like 360 degree pac men, or busy bees, just sliding around all over the place without any rules of physics applied.

It looks, as far as movement is concerned, like a zoomed out, 20 man, ice skating game.

And dont get me started on those back lines that resemble sinister riverdancing chain gangs...

I was playing just now and this happened (Matt's v4.1 BETA sliders normal speed, world class). Now despite what anyone might think, I'm not trying to just complain and I'm not trying to bash the game or anybody's enjoyment with it.

To be clear this is not an issue of the sliders themselves -they do improve the gameplay but I'm just trying to highlight that when you have a fundamental issue, it will override so much good and things like this will continue to occur. Will they happen every single time? No not every time, but again when this is at the core of the gameplay and this is the programmed 'logic', it happens with enough consistency to be what I would call a major issue.

All I want is for EA to start to see the major issues and potentially look at fixing them in the future. This 1v1 is a MAJOR issue for offline.

Edit: To compare, this is a clip from the Switch version of 23 (running on the Ignite engine, world class, default sliders, normal speed). It's not the exact same phase but it's similar and you can see how the response from the defenders is completely different. Look at how many defenders are ACTIVE and look how they close down the space. Especially look at the CBs who are actively blocking the passing lanes.

Maybe we have to intentionally delay making goals but to visit each defender instead so they are more active, new side quests :CONF:. Seriously speaking though, really hate when that happens to defensive part of the gameplay.

The lack of any footplanting makes the players look like 360 degree pac men, or busy bees, just sliding around all over the place without any rules of physics applied.

It looks, as far as movement is concerned, like a zoomed out, 20 man, ice skating game.

And dont get me started on those back lines that resemble sinister riverdancing chain gangs...
The game is an embarrassment.

Matt and the other guys are doing their best with sliders but what is really broken in this game can never be fixed with in-game adjustments.

Looks like the reason most of O.S. guys like it is that sliders are working on that game.
It's like their mojo is "A good Fifa is a Fifa where sliders are working pretty well"

Not really, even not at all to me but well, everyone their thing. Looks like they enjoy to "sliding" the game and see the effect of it.
Fifa 15 was very receptive to sliders, but that doesn't make it a good game at all. One of the worst i ever played in terms of balance.

"Sliding" seems like a passion, a game in the game. Like if i would like a PES because the edit mode is good and there's many tool that year.

The game is an embarrassment.

Matt and the other guys are doing their best with sliders but what is really broken in this game can never be fixed with in-game adjustments.

I've always been forgiving of fifa movement because of its freedom compared to pes.

But, yes, this is just too far.

I was migrating to FIFA fully last year when PES vanished after two decades of good moments and awesome memories. I never took FIFA serious like a simulation, tactical game, or even as a fully depicted football game (never, ever). Every time for me FIFA was the indisputable second option as a complement or a plan B where I was playing it more for its flexibility on the get go in licensed leagues, presentation, commentary, etc. (things that mostly PES did worse). Now I'm stuck just with the plan B, and mostly I enjoy playing it as what it is: an arcade sims shaolin soccer game, like I was playing every FIFA during the years from time to time and I'm cool with that (also has some football moments in it besides its absence in gameplay). FIFA never offered those high standards and satisfaction in gameplay/editing that PES showed, so I never searched or expected in FIFA top notch AI or less arcade machines gameplay...

Menu button > Manage game > Clear saved data from everywhere (or something like that)
You actually don’t need to do this every time. My fix is: boot the game, wait for ‘Press A’ to appear, quit back to Xbox Home Screen but keep game running, open game again - and it lets you in.

Really weird sounding fix but it works, I literally just did it.

Back to the game, I said my piece on this and I’m not going to pollute the thread with repetitive comments.

However - NORMAL speed is a must in this. I still get goals in every single match I play, but all of my match results so far has been (Career Mode, Legendary, 6 Min Games):

1-2 (L)
2-2 (D)
3-0 (W)
1-1 (D)
1-3 (W)

I can handle that. Those are realistic score lines albeit no 0-0 results yet.

On normal speed with sprint and pass speed seriously reduced and there is a game here, somewhere. On slow speed - forget it. The CPU falls to pieces, every match is a cricket score. It’s like the game is seriously broke on Slow speed for whatever reason. Defenders stand still resulting in the 7-6, 5-4 etc scorelines.

I won’t buy this, refuse to. Only have an hour of my trial left. Seen it cheap ish on disk but I’m a digital only gamer these days. Plus it will be free on game pass in 10-11 months time. Don’t give EA your money, folks.

But leaving the game speed at default is literally a game changer. Weird but it is what it is.

I watched my lad playing FIFA 23 tonight. It is awful. Players have no gravity, literally can twist and turn like they are made from jelly & what is that power shot crap?? He was belting shots from halfway and hitting the bar etc...

I loaded up FIFA 16 & played 1 game. What a difference. You can see how online & FUT has ruined the series, I've alluded to it before, but it's geared up for short, quick bursts of mental goals and animations to appease the people who stream or play FUT champs.

FIFA 16 was so solid. The AI Cross, they look to build up play, they don't pull off stupid tricks and back heel passes every 2 mins and I played out a 0-0 friendly, with only 4 shots in the entire game, but it was brilliant. I had to concentrate the whole time, work to create space to move forwards and when a chance comes, you really feel that you've got to take it because the next might be a while coming.

Sliders won't fix FIFA 23. It may offer a short term placebo effect. Fair play to those enjoying it but EA must sit and laugh every year at 'offline' gamers moaning because they've created a beast in FUT and that's all they give a rats ass about.

I watched my lad playing FIFA 23 tonight. It is awful. Players have no gravity, literally can twist and turn like they are made from jelly & what is that power shot crap?? He was belting shots from halfway and hitting the bar etc...

I loaded up FIFA 16 & played 1 game. What a difference. You can see how online & FUT has ruined the series, I've alluded to it before, but it's geared up for short, quick bursts of mental goals and animations to appease the people who stream or play FUT champs.

FIFA 16 was so solid. The AI Cross, they look to build up play, they don't pull off stupid tricks and back heel passes every 2 mins and I played out a 0-0 friendly, with only 4 shots in the entire game, but it was brilliant. I had to concentrate the whole time, work to create space to move forwards and when a chance comes, you really feel that you've got to take it because the next might be a while coming.

Sliders won't fix FIFA 23. It may offer a short term placebo effect. Fair play to those enjoying it but EA must sit and laugh every year at 'offline' gamers moaning because they've created a beast in FUT and that's all they give a rats ass about.
This really is a huge difference to me as well and super rewarding, like in real life.

anyway, only 2.5 hours left from the trail.
latest sliders made me play more. 🤷‍♂️

I am still not able to play fifa 23 trial - Ea Play violation error on xbox. :ZZZ:

Clearing the data didnt work for me. What worked for me 100% was log in as guest on your xbox. then launch the game as guest. then it will ask you what profile you want to play , choose your normal one and it should run. worked for me 100% of the time

Basically run the game as a guest profile

Looks like the reason most of O.S. guys like it is that sliders are working on that game.
It's like their mojo is "A good Fifa is a Fifa where sliders are working pretty well"

Not really, even not at all to me but well, everyone their thing. Looks like they enjoy to "sliding" the game and see the effect of it.
Fifa 15 was very receptive to sliders, but that doesn't make it a good game at all. One of the worst i ever played in terms of balance.

"Sliding" seems like a passion, a game in the game. Like if i would like a PES because the edit mode is good and there's many tool that year.

The FIFA game isn't designed for us. It's not. It's an arcade game that is built on Ultimate Team.

On here, it's talked about constantly about how FIFA lacks this and that, etc. It's FIFA for crying out loud. What do you expect? We're in modern-day gaming in which the Ultimate Team lifestyle is priority number one. It applies to not only to FIFA, but Madden, NHL and even more so PES. There's constant discussion of FIFA 16 and older FIFA's, but within context those were much different times compared to now.

Sliders are given as tools to customize the game. If the logic is that the game is built for arcade FUT...then wouldn't the logic make sense to use the tools to customize it as much as possible to go the opposite of that?

Those of us who work on the sliders very rarely toot our own horn and say we're changing the game's DNA, or ever say that we're fixing the game completely. What we do is take the bits that are missing from the realism front - and try to adjust values to the point that instead of 0% realism, we can take it to 10% or 20%. It's a blend of give and take, a sacrifice to meet a need - living with it or living without. The fact that we have to do that in the first place is unfortunate, but again - the game is not designed for us.

The FIFA game isn't designed for us. It's not. It's an arcade game that is built on Ultimate Team.

On here, it's talked about constantly about how FIFA lacks this and that, etc. It's FIFA for crying out loud. What do you expect? We're in modern-day gaming in which the Ultimate Team lifestyle is priority number one. It applies to not only to FIFA, but Madden, NHL and even more so PES. There's constant discussion of FIFA 16 and older FIFA's, but within context those were much different times compared to now.

Sliders are given as tools to customize the game. If the logic is that the game is built for arcade FUT...then wouldn't the logic make sense to use the tools to customize it as much as possible to go the opposite of that?

Those of us who work on the sliders very rarely toot our own horn and say we're changing the game's DNA, or ever say that we're fixing the game completely. What we do is take the bits that are missing from the realism front - and try to adjust values to the point that instead of 0% realism, we can take it to 10% or 20%. It's a blend of give and take, a sacrifice to meet a need - living with it or living without. The fact that we have to do that in the first place is unfortunate, but again - the game is not designed for us.
Great post Matt. As a veteran OS member you know I appreciate the dedication of certain members over there regarding sports videogames. My only issue is that I feel this is first time you come up with a statement like this, "the game is not designed for us".After so many years KG had a proper go to EA publishing a review which simply tears EA's game into pieces. There are hundreds of pages there for the community sliders. Trust me, EA devs are proud of it. They think their game gets the attention it deserves.
Please keep posting your sliders but at the same time rip them apart for their incompetence.
I haven't also received an answer about this: How can you play a football videogame in which the cpu never crosses the ball into the box? This is not fixable with sliders and you know it. How on earth can you play this game when you know that every single time the cpu will do a ground pass inside the box from the sides?

Great post Matt. As a veteran OS member you know I appreciate the dedication of certain members over there regarding sports videogames. My only issue is that I feel this is first time you come up with a statement like this, "the game is not designed for us".After so many years KG had a proper go to EA publishing a review which simply tears EA's game into pieces. There are hundreds of pages there for the community sliders. Trust me, EA devs are proud of it. They think their game gets the attention it deserves.
Please keep posting your sliders but at the same time rip them apart for their incompetence.
I haven't also received an answer about this: How can you play a football videogame in which the cpu never crosses the ball into the box? This is not fixable with sliders and you know it. How on earth can you play this game when you know that every single time the cpu will do a ground pass inside the box from the sides?

Yeah, KG and the other footyU guys definitely get into it. We still play clubs, but we still know it's FIFA. For me, I've tweeted, I've made videos, I've given feedback in the beta. This year it was @Chris Davies turn, the year before (or the year before that) was mine. We ranked pretty high in XP during that time.

FIFA 21 midfield tracking - I had a decent amount of tweets to EA. One of the main ones:

Regarding crosses. We're trying. That's a good example of something that seems broken, then we fiddle around, and now they're crossing. Brad's latest stream:

Some CPU crosses (World Class)

@Matt10 This game doesn't even deserve sliders or anything, this game sucks no matter how many times you turn it!
It might suck to us, others like it. Constructive feedback only please (hence why I try to provide clips of my issues, I'm not here to piss on anyone's chips, only to have a discussion).

It might suck to us, others like it. Constructive feedback only please (hence why I try to provide clips of my issues, I'm not here to piss on anyone's chips, only to have a discussion).
I don't want to be clever but I'm interested in animations that are actually next gen, but now no game has done it in 2022. Many games have much better movement than FIFA or eFootball... I will wait a long time for this... now is the time to take a step forward...

If we say about animations, look at this, I recorded it few moments ago:

For a god sake, it's 2022 and we've got something like this.
I agree with you. My fear is that this stuff is at the core of the engine, and FIFA will never "start from scratch" - so I don't know that we'll ever see them truly add footplanting (not just hiding it by tweaking the speed), or remove the crazy, sped-up, spliced animations that occur fairly regularly (I assume for the instant-responsiveness gameplay).

Brilliant post, @Matt10 . Really really good.
I suppose the whole "backlash" came coz you did say in few places that this is "best Fifa in years" and you see stuff that you have never seen before.
But this post was very grounded, realistic and objective. And a pleasure to read.
Your sliders are "saving" the game for many people for many years now. No one denies that. You work with what you have. The sad part is that we dont have enough.
The only thing that I would change would be that "the FIFA game is not designed for us now."
It wasnt always like that.

Brilliant post, @Matt10 . Really really good.
I suppose the whole "backlash" came coz you did say in few places that this is "best Fifa in years" and you see stuff that you have never seen before.

I suppose there's a different perspective depending on if you're always playing the latest game for the year and then move on to the new one. If one has played and survived games like 20-21-22 then yeah, this can be seen as an improvement. Maybe it's the best of the bunch I just listed.

For others who are just waiting until they finally see something worth their time & money it's a different story. I imagine most people who still play games before "the big dumbing down of the e-sports era" will probably still bounce off this one big time.

If one has played and survived games like 20-21-22 then yeah, this can be seen as an improvement. Maybe it's the best of the bunch I just listed.
Thats exactly what I had in mind. Best in years can be read as 2010 till now, where in fact its only 20-now, which is very narrow window, since 1v1 became primary focus.

I’ve been overly critical of sliders in the past but it must be said that people like @Matt10 are a god send for the community. Passionate people who are working their bollocks off in their spare time for the minority who just want to enjoy career mode.

I’ve never said this before but @Matt10 and the OS guys are the best thing to have happened to the football gaming community in the last 5-10 years or so.

Keep doing what you do, because it’s appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom