FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I'm playing on normal speed as although it felt fast initially I adjusted and Matt's sliders have helped level things out incredibly well. Very impressed. Slow felt...easier, and maybe a bit too plodding, but that less the sliders and simply that EA's slow is different from Konami's slow. I knock down the speed on PES and it just fits the mechanics of the game and feel's heavier wheras in FIFA slow just feels...well, slow.

Player career

Why is secondary press mapped to (X/Square)

Every time I press it so my AI team mates apply pressure, my player sticks his foot out.

I almost got sent off because I chopped someone down from behind as he jogged past me lol.

Is this intended because I cant even remap it.

Player career

Every time I press it so my AI team mates apply pressure, my player sticks his foot out.

I almost got sent off because I chopped someone down from behind as he jogged past me lol.

You can remap it

Hm, it felt really slow so I assumed it was set to slow... Probably my processor...

That's very strange. I have experienced what you experienced but I stopped experiencing 80% of the things somehow. I have updated the game to the newest, have been using Matt's sliders and set the game speed to Normal. I am running on Ryzen 9 5900x CPU with RTX 3090 with Frame limiter enabled(If I disable Frame limiter I get around 200 FPS and game/AI logic becomes extremely fast).

That's very strange. I have experienced what you experienced but I stopped experiencing 80% of the things somehow. I have updated the game to the newest, have been using Matt's sliders and set the game speed to Normal. I am running on Ryzen 9 5900x CPU with RTX 3090 with Frame limiter enabled(If I disable Frame limiter I get around 200 FPS and game/AI logic becomes extremely fast).
how have you done it with the frame limiter?I am using Riva Tuner but its not working with Fifa, all other games are working fine to limit! Even setting the limit in game, it doesnt work, thats why my game also is very fast

how have you done it with the frame limiter?I am using Riva Tuner but its not working with Fifa, all other games are working fine to limit! Even setting the limit in game, it doesnt work, thats why my game also is very fast
It's more for the PC thread but I used nvidia inspector.

I was playing just now and this happened (Matt's v4.1 BETA sliders normal speed, world class). Now despite what anyone might think, I'm not trying to just complain and I'm not trying to bash the game or anybody's enjoyment with it.

To be clear this is not an issue of the sliders themselves -they do improve the gameplay but I'm just trying to highlight that when you have a fundamental issue, it will override so much good and things like this will continue to occur. Will they happen every single time? No not every time, but again when this is at the core of the gameplay and this is the programmed 'logic', it happens with enough consistency to be what I would call a major issue.

All I want is for EA to start to see the major issues and potentially look at fixing them in the future. This 1v1 is a MAJOR issue for offline.

Edit: To compare, this is a clip from the Switch version of 23 (running on the Ignite engine, world class, default sliders, normal speed). It's not the exact same phase but it's similar and you can see how the response from the defenders is completely different. Look at how many defenders are ACTIVE and look how they close down the space. Especially look at the CBs who are actively blocking the passing lanes.

Last edited:
Player career

Second press is circle on.ps5 on legacy defending so wouldn't stick a leg out and R1 if using tactical defending...not teaching to suck eggs but have you checked your defensive option in the controller

I was playing just now and this happened (Matt's v4.1 BETA sliders normal speed, world class). Now despite what anyone might think, I'm not trying to just complain and I'm not trying to bash the game or anybody's enjoyment with it.

To be clear this is not an issue of the sliders themselves -they do improve the gameplay but I'm just trying to highlight that when you have a fundamental issue, it will override so much good and things like this will continue to occur. Will they happen every single time? No not every time, but again when this is at the core of the gameplay and this is the programmed 'logic', it happens with enough consistency to be what I would call a major issue.

All I want is for EA to start to see the major issues and potentially look at fixing them in the future. This 1v1 is a MAJOR issue for offline.

Edit: To compare, this is a clip from the Switch version of 23 (running on the Ignite engine, world class, default sliders, normal speed). It's not the exact same phase but it's similar and you can see how the response from the defenders is completely different. Look at how many defenders are ACTIVE and look how they close down the space. Especially look at the CBs who are actively blocking the passing lanes.

From what I gather, the Switch version is an updated FIFA 16? No wonder it plays so much better.

This is such a good comparison - really highlights the 1v1 issue.

To reiterate your point, it's not the sliders causing this (and nor can the sliders fix it), and nobody is claiming it can be fixed.

You just have to "live with it", which some people can, but for me this is the biggest dumbing-down of football games. Given that this is a permanent issue (1v1 doesn't just happen sometimes, it's permanent), it's why every game has ~40 shots.

The only way you keep the scorelines sane (in my experience) is by increasing shot error, which is as horrible a fix as EA's official fouls fix (making players randomly commit leg-breaking challenges in positions they'd never attempt a tackle from).

It's breaking shooting to fix the total lack of defensive awareness... and that's the current sliders in a nutshell for me. More options would really help, but even then, we need a "turn off 1v1" switch.

When I see the xG stats at the end of each game, I could cry - I saw a screenshot recently where the xG was over 9 for one of the teams, and that was a vs AI game on Legendary, let alone Ultimate Team.

Compare that to the actual stats where the average is 1 (peaking at 3+ in rare circumstances).

That's what makes football games fun IMO - working hard and taking your chances (or missing them and rueing it).

It really bugs me how the AI refuses to pass backwards in midfield.

The AI is so stubborn with this that it will dribble and hold onto the ball forever until a forward pass presents itself.

30 years of watching and playing football is so engrained in my brain that it's hard for me to get past that 1 thing and enjoy the game.

User vs CPU sliders can't fix this. The game is in desperate need of Tendancies sliders.

Honestly, every match I played last night was like 1-0, 2-0, 0-0 or 1-1 after 90min in kick-off. I'm too busy playing my own game to worry about the AI's and simply have stopped reading post-match stats. I get nothing from it.

It's like I could have played a great match v. AI, focussing purely on what I am doing on the moment to moment and really enjoyed it, warts n' all, but I read the stats and it tells me "Yeah, you had fun, but it wasn't realistic y'know, mate!"

As long as the pace feels right, I feel like I can express myself while still finding a challenge, and the ebb and flow is satisfying, it is all that truly matters to me. My job literally involves analysis; can't be doing with it during my down time while gaming (especially if I don't need to),no matter how interested I am in the game or indeed sport.

It really bugs me how the AI refuses to pass backwards in midfield.

The AI is so stubborn with this that it will dribble and hold onto the ball forever until a forward pass presents itself.

30 years of watching and playing football is so engrained in my brain that it's hard for me to get past that 1 thing and enjoy the game.

User vs CPU sliders can't fix this. The game is in desperate need of Tendancies sliders.

Ai passing back not once but twice, because there was no pass on .

Tell me I'm nitpicking, I won't argue, but two backwards passes is not build-up play (especially when neither are completed passes, the pass error looks crazy high).

If I see a video of the AI passing around 4-5 times in the midfield going sideways and/or backwards, I'll be A) amazed and B) happy that there's clearly a solution for the problem I've got (i.e. the AI just ping-ponging the ball to the furthest forward player at every opportunity, every game).

If that doesn't exist, I can't enjoy the game. Nothing to stop you enjoying it though. I think we want different things - that doesn't make me picky. I can't force myself to enjoy an action game.

Tell me I'm nitpicking, I won't argue, but two backwards passes isn't build-up play (especially when neither are completed passes, the pass error looks crazy high).

If I see a video of the AI passing around 4-5 times in the midfield going sideways and/or backwards, I'll be A) amazed and B) happy that there's clearly a solution for the problem I've got (i.e. the AI just ping-ponging the ball to the furthest forward player at every opportunity, every game).

If that doesn't exist, I can't enjoy the game. Nothing to stop you enjoying it though. I think we want different things - that doesn't make me picky. I can't force myself to enjoy an action game.
I'll try tonight to upload a couple of videos from FIFA 16 where the cpu actually builds up and they backpass with purpose. They even reset their build up when you're blocking the passing lanes and they're switching sides to shake up your D.
I don't mind people having fun with FIFA 23 but some of us are very strict with sports videogames. For 22 years I spend countless hours to bring the NBA2k to the perfect sim level. The same with MLB The Show. These 2 games also are 1000 lightyears ahead of any FIFA and PES game but still my expectations for a sim experience are very high for both of them.

You know I actually thought about adding "Hyperbole" to my post but I didn't as I figured others wouldn't take me 100% literally and would get the jist of my post that passing backwards is faaaaaaaar too rare.

I'll try tonight to upload a couple of videos from FIFA 16 where the cpu actually builds up and they backpass with purpose. They even reset their build up when you're blocking the passing lanes and they're switching sides to shake up your D.
I don't mind people having fun with FIFA 23 but some of us are very strict with sports videogames. For 22 years I spend countless hours to bring the NBA2k to the perfect sim level. The same with MLB The Show. These 2 games also are 1000 lightyears ahead of any FIFA and PES game but still my expectations for a sim experience are very high for both of them.
Some of us are, some of us aren't. I don't want to flood this topic with more about this, because those who are enjoying it are getting annoyed with the repetition, and it's understandable.

I think the point has been made as to why people like us just can't enjoy it (especially with @Anth James's video comparison between the 1v1 defending in 23 and the team defending in 16 on the Switch, which is based on Xbox 360 code from what I've read - that's shocking IMO, and just proves how dumbed-down defending has got).

Yeah, this has been an issue on WC since FIFA 21. It used to happen later in matches but now pops up every now and again. I haven't seen it as often on 51/51 acc Slow, WC, but wouldn't be surprised if it shows up here and there. It's not a game-breaker because it's just not consistent enough, and we've been down that rabbit hole too many times to sort through it.

I am still not able to play fifa 23 trial - Ea Play violation error on xbox. :ZZZ:
I don't think EA are going to fix this, because there's an easy workaround that seems to work for everyone:

If anyone has trouble getting onto the trial version on Xbox (there is a bug where the Xbox says "problem validating EA Play")...

This is the workaround:

If I see a video of the AI passing around 4-5 times in the midfield going sideways and/or backwards,

I've 100% made the AI do that in Fifa23, but it's quite tough because you're manually having to move around 2-3 of your own players to get them into positions to block all forward avenues of passing for the AI, it's pretty tiring to be laser focused on that task but it is really enjoyable when you do force them to pass backwards or attempt a riskier pass that goes out of play or to my players.

This guys sliders helped me plays nice. I had to up sim pass speed to match user though. Try it. Settings in description

Some nice looking scenes here! 👏

why does the AI here play so calm in midfield and not insta passing forward like I was used to!? Haven’t watched the whole video though.
starts at around 3:40min:

has this maybe to do with the live update that rolled out?! His video is 22 hours old…

Last edited:
Some nice looking scenes here! 👏

why does the AI here play so calm in midfield and not insta passing forward like I was used to!? Haven’t watched the whole video though.
starts at around 3:40min:
Well there we go, that's the "video of the AI making 4-5 passes sideways and/or backwards in the midfield" I was looking for. I've never seen that.

But even if I could get my game to do that:

1) It's a total one-off - just look at 3:15. Seven first-time passes in a row (between the two teams). Those insane reflexes and the ping-pong passing is ever-present. But it's not an isolated incident - it's almost constant.

4:17 is exactly the same. Passpasspasspasspasspasspassgoal. I don't know how you celebrate such a weird, impossible move. I can't lie to myself and pretend that isn't happening constantly, just to enjoy the shot physics.

2) Does the gameplay in general not just look super weird to everyone?

The passes in-particular. You can see he's using sliders to slow the game down, but it doesn't stop the ping-pong. The ball looks like it's slogging through mud but the AI is still hitting first-time passes and getting the ball forward ASAP. Slow-mo ping-pong... It looks so bizarre.

There's instances of passes flying off a player's foot at impossible angles, too - where the body and the foot is at one angle, and the ball suddenly starts moving at a 90° angle to them without the leg or foot kicking in that direction, with instant power transfer (without the kick to transfer it) if that makes sense.

Those who like the game will say that's nitpicking but it's really not - it's just about what you want from a football game. The technically and physically impossible happens constantly and I can't not see it. The old PES PS2 games are horribly basic and yet IMO they nailed this stuff, with fairly strict restrictions on what was humanly possible, and providing a real challenge to break through the middle.

Those who like the game will say that's nitpicking but it's really not - it's just about what you want from a football game. The technically and physically impossible happens constantly and I can't not see it. The old PES PS2 games are horribly basic and yet IMO they nailed this stuff, with fairly strict restrictions on what was humanly possible, and providing a real challenge to break through the middle.

I agree. I personally don't think it is nitpicking when the presentation and gameplay are so at odds with each other.

On 1 hand you have all this painstaking detail and presentation with licenses, commentary, stats, cutscenes with agents haggling over transfers that are geared towards immersion and a sim vibe.

Then you have the gameplay that throws all of that out of the window.

It's weird to me and only EA do this. Fifa, NHL, Madden.

2k and Studio San Diego get that and that's why The Show and NBA 2k work so well.

Say what you want about 2ks monetization in mycareer but it is infinitely more a representation of it's sport on the court

Honestly, every match I played last night was like 1-0, 2-0, 0-0 or 1-1 after 90min in kick-off. I'm too busy playing my own game to worry about the AI's and simply have stopped reading post-match stats. I get nothing from it.

It's like I could have played a great match v. AI, focussing purely on what I am doing on the moment to moment and really enjoyed it, warts n' all, but I read the stats and it tells me "Yeah, you had fun, but it wasn't realistic y'know, mate!"

As long as the pace feels right, I feel like I can express myself while still finding a challenge, and the ebb and flow is satisfying, it is all that truly matters to me. My job literally involves analysis; can't be doing with it during my down time while gaming (especially if I don't need to),no matter how interested I am in the game or indeed sport.

This is pretty much where I’m at right now. I like the ebb and flow to the matches, I’m getting similar score lines to you and not seeing anything crazy in terms of XG.

There are occasions where the AI does rush forward or play ping pong passes but it’s not noticeable to the point where it is distracting me from enjoying the game.

One thing I am struggling with is the step up from World Class to Legendary. Not sure if anyone else is the same? I’m usually a solid Legendary player but every time I dial it up I really struggle defensively and end up reducing it back to WC. The AI just seem unbeatable around my box and dance around my defenders, maybe that says more for my defending and I just need more practice.

Overall, I’ve played one season in Career Mode as Banfield and thoroughly enjoyed it. The games have been competitive and unpredictable.

The above isn’t to say I don’t recognise the issues discussed about the game. I think for now I’m just trying to base my enjoyment on the feel for the game, which is working for me at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom