FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

The sad thing about this isn't even the bug (you'll see) - it's the ridiculous ball physics (a balloon on a string), and the always-perfect ball control (of a high spinning pass).

Billions of dollars of revenue and this is the best replica of football they can do. It's heartbreaking.

😂

OS sliders a game changer for me. Playing on slow/legendary and having a blast to the point where I bought the game. It’s not perfect, but there’s the feeling that I have to work to win games now. Will post some videos later.

Had a few sessions now. Enjoying it.

The more I play and the more my pro gets ranked up, the more the game feels similar to 22.

A little harder to dribble, a bit more free-feeling (less "lock-on"). But similar.

Nice little team move (full manual)

Manual lob pass-as-shoot exploit. BOOSH

Eurogamer - FIFA 23 review

The majority of this is about Ultimate Team (and it's a very compelling argument).

Some good points about the gameplay too, i.e. tactics don't matter any more and the game you play is "completely unlike football" - and it's good to see someone in the "mainstream" pointing out how dumb the defence is:

Tactics don't really get close to reality - it's not often you'll see anyone, even the AI, trying to keep you out with a spot of Catenaccio, say. And the AI, while always improved on the previous year, can still get into an almighty muddle. Too often I hear myself muttering "where's he going?!" about a central defender running up the pitch while an attacker darts through on goal, and entire back fours can often be dragged ludicrously deep - into their own box - while the ball's barely their side of the halfway line, due to a single opposing forward making a run. It's frustrating.

More importantly, these issues can force you to play something completely unlike football in your head, where your focus lands on how to exploit the way FIFA plays, rather than how the real sport works. Referees can also still seem like they're watching another sport entirely.

Eurogamer - FIFA 23 review

The majority of this is about Ultimate Team (and it's a very compelling argument).

Some good points about the gameplay too, i.e. tactics don't matter any more and the game you play is "completely unlike football" - and it's good to see someone in the "mainstream" pointing out how dumb the defence is:

Tactics don't really get close to reality - it's not often you'll see anyone, even the AI, trying to keep you out with a spot of Catenaccio, say. And the AI, while always improved on the previous year, can still get into an almighty muddle. Too often I hear myself muttering "where's he going?!" about a central defender running up the pitch while an attacker darts through on goal, and entire back fours can often be dragged ludicrously deep - into their own box - while the ball's barely their side of the halfway line, due to a single opposing forward making a run. It's frustrating.

More importantly, these issues can force you to play something completely unlike football in your head, where your focus lands on how to exploit the way FIFA plays, rather than how the real sport works. Referees can also still seem like they're watching another sport entirely.
Good to see the media calling out FIFA 23 for what it is. It’s fine being the arcade goal fest which it is but my issue with EA is that they masquerade FIFA as a simulation-type game when it couldn’t be further than the truth.

“Hypermotion 2.0 brings more realism than ever!”

Etc.

Another thing I don’t get is when some people praise the visuals. “FIFA has never looked so good!”

Erm, it has. FIFA 23 on Series X is far too colourful for a start. Looks like a cartoon, everything is over saturated.

I don’t think your average FUT player cares what Eurogamer say in a review but at least it’s something.

Back after so long away from boring Fifa nice to see @Chris Davies still here fighting the fight 🤣

I hope one day the Fifa fans get the game we should have by now its terrible and awful how long it taking.

Think Ill skip Fifa 23 looking on here and just play football manager.

When are the superheroes going to be available? Surely a partnership with Disney is tempting and hence, the Marvel Universe is next.

Rashford through on goal… he’s gone down for no reason, nobody around him. Ah! The slow-mo replay shows The Flash appearing and punching him in the dick as he was about to shoot.

An absolute blast of a match. The fact that the defensive line height is playing true to value is something that absolutely changes the game for me. I said it in a tweet the other day that we are seeing things from this game that we've wanted for years. It's definitely not perfect, but it's by far the best next-gen version that has been released. Like a VAR decision in the prem, I'm still holding my breath that we get to enjoy this for a couple more months before a patch ruins it. Who knows though? EA has surprised me from the get-go with all the little things (making a video compilation of them) that get overlooked when you're frustrated with gameplay.

An absolute blast of a match. The fact that the defensive line height is playing true to value is something that absolutely changes the game for me. I said it in a tweet the other day that we are seeing things from this game that we've wanted for years. It's definitely not perfect, but it's by far the best next-gen version that has been released. Like a VAR decision in the prem, I'm still holding my breath that we get to enjoy this for a couple more months before a patch ruins it. Who knows though? EA has surprised me from the get-go with all the little things (making a video compilation of them) that get overlooked when you're frustrated with gameplay.

If physics were at least close to reality the second goal would never happen.

Look how unrealistic (and impossible) is the way that the player and the ball change direction. It's like the ball is sticked to the foot.

those things break the game, because they allow impossible situations in the match like that

Edit:

You can see this is clearly an old problem that is part of the main game code... Because most of the new animations they added are pretty good and "fluid".

I think the only way to change that is making the game again from the scratch

Last edited:
If physics were at least close to reality the second goal would never happen.

Look how unrealistic (and impossible) is the way that the player and the ball change direction. It's like the ball is sticked to the foot.

those things break the game, because they allow impossible situations in the match like that

Edit:

You can see this is clearly an old problem that is part of the main game code... Because most of the new animations they added are pretty good and "fluid".

I think the only way to change that is making the game again from the scratch

100% it's annoying to see those animations. However, this is FIFA. They didn't mention anything about physics being a new feature, so I don't expect it. What I can do is lessen expectation and also not put myself in those situations to concede idiotic goals like that (driven long ball switch on 68 pass error). I also make terrible decisions to reverse pass and not pass where I'm facing, which will punish you. I think that has some physics to believe at least.

In the end, it's about the consistency of bad animations. Can that exact animation be recreated? For the most part, the game had a lot of good physics and most animations made sense. In FIFA, that's pretty much a win.

Yeah, that Eurogamer review does touch on some issues but using Matt's sliders and powering through the weird physics and odd AI and now finding a decent challenge on Legendary while just focusing on how I play the game as opposed to how the AI is it has grown on me more.

I'm properly done observing opposition AI patterns in either of the football offerings now. Life's too short and if a playable and well presented challenge is there it'll keep me ticking over for some time. If I get bored or the issues grate I'll move on to another game or interest. Having acquired a reasonable laptop gaming PC that at least allows me to revisit a ton of games from the previous gen and one before in a well performing state, while the PS5 can take care of my current gen needs, I'm good.

Yeah, that Eurogamer review does touch on some issues but using Matt's sliders and powering through the weird physics and odd AI and now finding a decent challenge on Legendary while just focusing on how I play the game as opposed to how the AI is it has grown on me more.

I'm properly done observing opposition AI patterns in either of the football offerings now. Life's too short and if a playable and well presented challenge is there it'll keep me ticking over for some time. If I get bored or the issues grate I'll move on to another game or interest. Having acquired a reasonable laptop gaming PC that at least allows me to revisit a ton of games from the previous gen and one before in a well performing state, while the PS5 can take care of my current gen needs, I'm good.

Agreed totally. Dont have a ps5 and wont buy it for this but I think the key is just to enjoy how the game feels when you're playing it, and enjoy it moment to moment. Rather than analysing whether a great move happened because the AI was.doing silly things. If it felt great, looked great, and there aren't any game breaking things for you, then keep enjoying it, and avoid posts that will point out things you've missed.

Of course, I totally get that this fifa will have things people cannot overlook. I could never overlook a missing midfield, or ball physics that feel cheap, or deep defences running backwards, because it ruins the way I like to play. Or poor dribbling, a la pes 14.

With both games being relatively unimpressive however, subjective enjoyment has to trump objective analysis. Pain and suffering lies that way.

( I am.enjoying an hour or two on efootball a weak. I see many of the faults, but I like how it looks on ps4 pro, like the player models, the game shape, the great AI, and even how the ball feels and moves , even though physics are limited. It's a very limited game, but within a narrow subjective zone, it does the trick)

I’m currently having a great time with the Nintendo Switch version of 23. It’s on Ignite and has legacy gameplay from long before 1v1. The fundamentals of the sport are there and I’m finding it a real challenge.

There’s physicality, the CPU is playing football (often out possessing me in a game) and positioning is much better. The CPU covers, intercepts and tracks back. Default sliders.

In many ways I feel I’m playing 16 with an updated FIP. Best I can do at this point so I’ll take it!

I’m currently having a great time with the Nintendo Switch version of 23. It’s on Ignite and has legacy gameplay from long before 1v1. The fundamentals of the sport are there and I’m finding it a real challenge.

There’s physicality, the CPU is playing football (often out possessing me in a game) and positioning is much better. The CPU covers, intercepts and tracks back. Default sliders.

In many ways I feel I’m playing 16 with an updated FIP. Best I can do at this point so I’ll take it!
I remember a few years ago I was invited by EA to test FIFA 17 at the Gamescom in Cologne and they had the PS4 version and the Switch version. I enjoyed the Switch version much more, it reminded me a lot on FIFA 16 and the games before so it felt like home. Now six years later it seems the same, unbelievable.

Definitely 16 is much better even if sometimes I get bored because it has also some faults.

I will continue to play 23 until the new FIP comes out (and probably will be back to 16 next week :D).

It is not as bad as I thought it will be. The game has a really good base for a great football game, but so many bad things. The more I play I more hate it, especially as I said player movement, ball sticking to the foot so easy, icing, etc. I mean do they have eyes? It is so disturbing to watch and play.

Definitely 16 is much better even if sometimes I get bored because it has also some faults.

I will continue to play 23 until the new FIP comes out (and probably will be back to 16 next week :D).

It is not as bad as I thought it will be. The game has a really good base for a great football game, but so many bad things. The more I play I more hate it, especially as I said player movement, ball sticking to the foot so easy, icing, etc. I mean do they have eyes? It is so disturbing to watch and play.
Outside of the fundamental issues (actually cancel that, it ultimately still boils down to a fundamental issue), one aspect I struggle the most with is way you can't really get the CPU to engage in organic positioning and movement across the pitch. They're so statically positioned behind the ball that every attack (and defence) feels too similar. The patterns are always the same because the positions are always the same. I had this issue with 22 NG as well.

I think @Matt10 has done a very good job with his slider set to get the game in better shape, but I can't help but feeling bored quite quickly with the overall gameplay as it just doesn't feel 'alive'.

Last edited:
I just find it hard to enjoy this game, it still has fundamental flaws that ruin the overall feel of the game that for me get worse each year. The AI constant violent slide tackles are ridiculous, and are a way of EA trying to add artificial fouls rather than actually coding the game correctly.

Is it me or is the clipping the worse it has ever been in a FIFA game? Also why are there so many assists on by default (stuff like auto slide etc). Can't you trust users enough to actually control a player themselves?

Agreed totally. Dont have a ps5 and wont buy it for this but I think the key is just to enjoy how the game feels when you're playing it, and enjoy it moment to moment. Rather than analysing whether a great move happened because the AI was.doing silly things. If it felt great, looked great, and there aren't any game breaking things for you, then keep enjoying it, and avoid posts that will point out things you've missed.

Of course, I totally get that this fifa will have things people cannot overlook. I could never overlook a missing midfield, or ball physics that feel cheap, or deep defences running backwards, because it ruins the way I like to play. Or poor dribbling, a la pes 14.

With both games being relatively unimpressive however, subjective enjoyment has to trump objective analysis. Pain and suffering lies that way.

( I am.enjoying an hour or two on efootball a weak. I see many of the faults, but I like how it looks on ps4 pro, like the player models, the game shape, the great AI, and even how the ball feels and moves , even though physics are limited. It's a very limited game, but within a narrow subjective zone, it does the trick)
Excellent way of putting it, regards both offerings: moment to moment truly is my focus now when playing these games and both capable of delivering there, while serving up a challenge. I could play and really enjoy a fairly intense encounter on either game, upload it, then folk could watch it and pass comment on retreating lines or the positioning/behavoiurs of x,y, or z and there would be validity to those observations but while they happened I may not neccesarily have 'experienced' them as my focus was purely on my efforts.

I hate how the ball doesn't have randomness at all on the pitch...Also, as I sad, I don't understand why they changed ball physics from 22 BETA. It was unbelievable.
Ball physics in the retail game is better than the beta :more freedom, more effect even on crosses. But if you play FUTO, you can't see it !

Last edited:
Had a few sessions now. Enjoying it.

The more I play and the more my pro gets ranked up, the more the game feels similar to 22.

A little harder to dribble, a bit more free-feeling (less "lock-on"). But similar.

Nice little team move (full manual)

Manual lob pass-as-shoot exploit. BOOSH

Sick goal...

How do you find manual matches or pro matches full manual?

FIFA 23 is so unrealistic.

Manchester derby: hold my beer :D
I know you're joking, but others will genuinely think this, so. For the benefit of them (not you).

Is every game in the Premier League 6-3? No. So is FIFA 23 realistic (when near enough every game is 6-3)? Absolutely not.

Can you bring scorelines down with sliders, that slow down the gameplay? Sure. Does that make it more realistic? Well, you can still get to goal in 4-5 passes from almost any situation, because there will only ever be one player doing any defending thanks to the 1v1 system, which is hardcoded. So, no. (IMO.)

Back
Top Bottom