FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Just spent the evening playing after signing up for EA play. It wasn't even worth the 79p it cost me to subscribe.

I'm not a big FIFA fan I must admit but I do give it a chance every year & usually get a little enjoyment from it. This is possibly the worst representation of football I have ever played. Absolutely diabolical.

Is this really the state of football games in 2022?

People can say many things but old gen was just Fifa 21 last year and probably still is. EA didn't make a different game for old gen with defending. They just released 21 again with new rosters.

Anyway I'm not saying 23 NG is better or worse then 23 OG. I don't know. But old gen is Fifa 21, and I know that was just as terrible.

So I guess the burning question now is: Is Fifa 23 NG worse then Fifa 21? If true, the gameplay producers deserve an award!
Hahaha seems that NG is worse so I guess it's time to put the EA producers in the hall of fame😄
I'll try the OG version tomorrow hopefully and see how it plays for myself. Maybe the hypermotion 2.0 broke the game, everything really became "hyper" and everything went wrong haha
Not long ago I saw a tweet from a guy knows EA very well and he claimed that the code for fifa is really old and messy so that's why they're afraid to change things...and it won't get any better until new engine comes and it gets a fresh start.

Hahaha seems that NG is worse so I guess it's time to put the EA producers in the hall of fame😄
I'll try the OG version tomorrow hopefully and see how it plays for myself. Maybe the hypermotion 2.0 broke the game, everything really became "hyper" and everything went wrong haha
Not long ago I saw a tweet from a guy knows EA very well and he claimed that the code for fifa is really old and messy so that's why they're afraid to change things...and it won't get any better until new engine comes and it gets a fresh start.
I wouldn't bank on OG being better. This 'NG' version feels more like OG than last year.

I actually think 22 OG had better movement than 23 NG does.

I wouldn't bank on OG being better. This 'NG' version feels more like OG than last year.

I actually think 22 OG had better movement than 23 NG does.
I'll try it out tomorrow. I saw a guy here saying that he always compare the two versions so we'll hear from him aswell what he has to say.
Interesting to hear about the movement being better on Fifa 22 OG..not a good sign for the NG version. If the ai really is better on OG this year then it's a simple choice for anyone playing the career mode.

Downloaded via the EA Play trial to play next-gen Fifa for the first time. Positives, Graphics, Presentation etc. It ends there. The skating and break you foot 1000x times animations, my goodness. The lack of awareness and positioning from the AI. Players don't engage, they don't track nothing. Playing as liverpool, feels like I can swap Salah with Fabinho. It makes no sense who's playing that DM role. It like there statues unless I engage with them. In one game I had robertson double marking with trent on the right and no I did not drag him there with teammate pressure etc. The CBs are also all over the place. I don't think the AI can even keep up with the half the things they do. I've seen them tiki taka to 1v1 opportunity and within a quarter of a second the player thru would just flick the ball back. Almost like if he had no idea where he was. This game is an absolute disaster. I haven't played a football game properly since for a while so at this point I was banking on FIFA being good being EFootball has no content (Offline modes etc.). On the pitch, this is arguably worst that Efootball 2022/23. Atleast there's football manager to kinda scratch that itch.

It's absolutely fucking insane how bad this crap game is. Is it PES I'm playing? It's slow and bad animations and slow turnarounds. Why have they chosen this path? FIFA has always been arcade, and now suddenly you can't even turn the players? So damn bad. The response is so bad that the players run into each other.. I throw up.

If there's any good thing, the game plays how the beta did. The back-line has the same issues. The midfield is a bit dead. It's very end to end. The keepers are shocking.

There are some good things with the CPU passing variety, and 50/50 balls are well contested overall. The skaty/slidey animations always hurt the immersion, but it's FIFA, if they had fixed that - there'd be a trailer boasting 20,000 new animations - including foot-planting.

Overall, it's a rough start, but there's room for improvement. I'm not going to post full gameplay videos though because some of the positives get lost amongst the process of dwindling down the negatives.

If there's any good thing, the game plays how the beta did. The back-line has the same issues. The midfield is a bit dead. It's very end to end. The keepers are shocking.

There are some good things with the CPU passing variety, and 50/50 balls are well contested overall. The skaty/slidey animations always hurt the immersion, but it's FIFA, if they had fixed that - there'd be a trailer boasting 20,000 new animations - including foot-planting.

Overall, it's a rough start, but there's room for improvement. I'm not going to post full gameplay videos though because some of the positives get lost amongst the process of dwindling down the negatives.
Do you mean it's good that it plays like the BETA because there has to be a day one patch coming?

Not actually hating the trial as I thought I would. It might be that the beta was just so bad, this seems better by comparison rather than in its own right.

The Operation Sports sliders for FIFA 22 are actually a good place to start with FIFA 23 because they seem to have the same effect of preventing so many passes easily splitting the midfield and defense and both the human and CPU break down more attacks as they come through the middle third.. By no means perfect but a good start to build on.

Attachments

• BAE1F3B6-6E80-40D4-9732-DCF8F58F4501.png
    BAE1F3B6-6E80-40D4-9732-DCF8F58F4501.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Okay finished my session. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I can’t see me playing much more. The game is broken, and doesn’t resemble football in the slightest. I feel it has a nice weight to the ball for once which is a shame.

Anyway, this sums the game up. This is on World Class.

This isn't even funny anymore watching the state this ancient engine is in.

State of football games in 2022 is the darkest it's ever been.

We have one game your bored after 2 hours or so finishing the challenges.

Then this other game here you spend hours changing the gameplay mechanics just trying to get a few respectable games of football for a while. Not even enhance it to make it ideal and very enjoyable. just respectable. The engine is THAT broken!

I really hope and pray EA Sports just start fresh with a new engine for EA Sports FC. Its the only way forward.

I'm liking it. To me this plays pretty much the same as '22, if anything it plays a bit slower (heavier) and less twitchy .
Didn't play the Beta, but I agree with what @saturator said: if you enjoyed 22 you'll enjoy '23.

I had 6 games in WC, one thing I liked and improved the game 100% for me (although it made the game a bit easier) was seeing how the AI misplaced passes, all my games the AI ended up with ~82-84% pass completion and not so perfect (on top of players cutting off lanes better than on '22). I'm used to the ping pong ~94% completion from some games in '22.

Had a couple of games that were pretty scrappy on WC (default sliders), one was even a 1-0 (perks of being crappy at the game I guess). My other scores have been similar with one outlier 4-1. Hoping some sliders can improve gameplay a bit.

In the first teaser trailer, I thought the graphics looked better, but at least in my TV it looks the same to me as '22.

Came in with low expectations due to past pages but gotta say Im enjoying it and will prob buy this week.I put way too many hours of '22 (still am) and this (slight improvement) looks like it might bring some enjoyment as well

graphics really good but whats wrong with this movement of the players?Does EA even look a single real Football game? Players moving far away from being realistic. For a "Next Gen" Game thats a big fail. Further again that shit glue on the feet when dribbling, the ball doesnt feel good

Yeah. Must of been high on crack this morning.
Got home and it wouldn’t start, so deleted it and while it was downloading again, I played the old gen version. Was pretty dreadful with all the end to end issues. Felt like 100mph. Thought it must be that the New Gen was better. It finally downloaded and it was honestly like a different game all together. 2 games. 6-5 and 7-3. Couldn’t believe it. End to end and so fast. Honestly, my first two games earlier in the day had honestly felt like midfield battles haha. But tonight was something else. Can’t believe the contrast .

Try again in the morning and then prob back to fifa 14 and Pro 5.

Still baffled. I think sometimes paying pro or older fifa, you can bring that style of personal play into the newer ones and that can last only so long.

I know I'm a broken record, but I just can't understand how EA can't at least just drag and drop the CPU positioning/behaviour even from FIFA 19 for offline players to have defensive fundamentals and give it to us as 'assisted defending' in a switch. It really baffles me that we don't get that option. I could actually deal with every other issue with the game if we had based movement and a challenge to create.

I know I'm a broken record, but I just can't understand how EA can't at least just drag and drop the CPU positioning/behaviour even from FIFA 19 for offline players to have defensive fundamentals and give it to us as 'assisted defending' in a switch. It really baffles me that we don't get that option. I could actually deal with every other issue with the game if we had based movement and a challenge to create.
We have been saying for years that the solution should be creating an option to switch between "arcade" mode and "simulation" mode, like in Madden (which is also in a crappy state, but that's not for here). Ultimately, they choose to work only on things that will generate more money. Simulation and bug fixing are not part of it, like new shiny graphics and horse noises.

Even if i am enjoying game because it has some good and positive stuff, i am so annoyed with movement without physics and inertia, ball sticking to the foot, AI defending etc.. its really a game breaker.

Also i dont know why they changed ball physics which was new and refreshing in FIFA 22 (i just cant remember was it in BETA or 1.0).

Even if i am enjoying game because it has some good and positive stuff, i am so annoyed with movement without physics and inertia, ball sticking to the foot, AI defending etc.. its really a game breaker.

Also i dont know why they changed ball physics which was new and refreshing in FIFA 22 (i just cant remember was it in BETA or 1.0).
To me, this was the game. There is nothing to break here anymore. 🤷‍♂️
it’s just sad.

I will give it another try once first sliders are out but this looks like I’m not gonna give them my money this year.

We have been saying for years that the solution should be creating an option to switch between "arcade" mode and "simulation" mode, like in Madden (which is also in a crappy state, but that's not for here). Ultimately, they choose to work only on things that will generate more money. Simulation and bug fixing are not part of it, like new shiny graphics and horse noises.

I mean it's pretty telling that the camera zooms in real time when you attempt a power shot as if it's a fucking quick time event or a special shot in mario strikers. It's pure cringe no matter if the power shot is a good addition or not, from a gameplay perspective (I have no clue & I don't care).

For them to take this game seriously as a football game they would need to take a real beating about the state of it from the press & social media. And I'm not sure that's coming any time soon. The people who have got and played games like fifa 20, 21, 22 and now 23 for a whole year will probably never be disappointed by any game, it's just not possible. No offence meant with that as anyone is free to like whatever he wants. I'm just saying there will never be a big enough backlash, the player base is happy with what we think is trash.

Last edited:
Has the infamous ”day one patch” been applied yet? Maybe there is a tiiiiiiiny chance they could fix the most game breaking things like player positioning and braindead AI with a patch? Even if they fix those things the game still looks like trash though, but at least it could be somewhat playable.

Back
Top Bottom