FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

You're playing now on PS5?
Yes. The 10-hour trial version is now available if you pay for EA Play. But if you buy FIFA to play against the AI, I strongly advise against it. See my previous post as to why (and all the posts I made regarding the beta).

Half tempted to just sell my series x

I play football games mostly and if this dirge is all we’re getting now - what’s the point?
I only bought mine for the prospect of next-gen football games, and it's been hands-down the worst generation of them all for football simulation. How the fuck has that happened?

I through there would be at least a free trial for EA Play. But whatever.

I didn't brought a PS5 for PES and FIFA only, but it played a big part of it (PS more for Option files... There could be on Efootball i couldn't care less on the current state) fortunately i found a passion for Souls-Like. And there's several title from that style to come.
Finishing the enhanced PS4 games (first reason i brough a PS5 soon, and it's pretty enjoyable especially God of War and Nioh 1 and 2)
But E-Sport boxing, i was really waiting for it but no news, seems the game will be out in 2026 :(

Last edited:
I was expecting an absolute disaster but played two games, legendary on normal pace, semi assist and really enjoyed both. 1000 times better than 22 on that brief experience. 6 minute half’s. Wasn’t end to end for me. But I don’t spam pace that much either. Felt like I needed to play football. Defence was better. I must press tackle all the time though ha . As I had 69 attempts and 19 successful. Maybe the stats don’t match the feeling but it didn’t feel fast to me at all. Felt a lot like 14 which I’ve been playing a lot recently.

Attachments

• 09927112-1FCE-4C86-ADA8-AB3B76826BC2.jpeg
    09927112-1FCE-4C86-ADA8-AB3B76826BC2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
Quoting you cos it's your video, Marlon (and you've confirmed on Twitter it's on Legendary fucking difficulty).

The state of this. It's so depressing. Heartbreaking.

I'm not even downloading the trial version. The beta was hard enough to experience.

That is astonishing. Still has the power to amaze.

Half tempted to just sell my series x

I play football games mostly and if this dirge is all we’re getting now - what’s the point?

I only bought mine for the prospect of next-gen football games, and it's been hands-down the worst generation of them all for football simulation. How the fuck has that happened?

As far as football gaming goes, the main draw of an Xbox Series S/X is the ability to play 15+ year old games.

what_a_time_to_be_alive.jpg

Quoting you cos it's your video, Marlon (and you've confirmed on Twitter it's on Legendary fucking difficulty).

The state of this. It's so depressing. Heartbreaking.

I'm not even downloading the trial version. The beta was hard enough to experience.

Yeah i'm really disappointed, I actually didn't mind 22 too much in spite of it's obvious passive defending, but I found it hard enough to score that it was kind of challenging. But here, I'm through on goal over and over without even trying.

I scored one earlier where I literally ran in a straight line and every defender ran away from me. Even the keeper wouldn't come out and crumpled up like a dead spider when I shot right at him.

What's the point, i don't get it. Like if people could not decrease the difficulty themselves. But running away from your attacker...

If it was to block a pass or shoot, yes, but perhaps the AI is just become dumber with their new AI tendency to recoil to the goal system.
Made for online i believe, didn't they "mocked" people in a tweet who carried to play against CPU? There's no point to retouch it even if they made changes then.
Still pretty weird.

Professional.

I moved up to Legendary and it still feels to easy to get through on goal because of course every other defender in your direct path steps aside like Peter Parker does to let the robber escape on his way to shoot Uncle Ben.
Yes I'm finding the same. Game is a little easy.

Yeah this is dog crap. Proper bad.

Don't bother with it unless you loved FIFA 22 then this is more of the same just more responsive. I went in with low expectations and maybe I need to give it more time.

I'll try starting a Career next as I've only played 4 Kick Off friendly matches.

So far I liked FIFA 22 way more, but there are some good improvements, like actual reaching from the defenders to balls that come near them.

But the rest... seems weird...

What is with the defensive AI?! They never commit. They keep doing this weird "Should I tackle? Should I not?" Where they approach an attacker then back off, approach, back off over and over to the point you have 22 players around the box with the offense fannying about with the ball for minutes at a time passing amongst themselves.

I'm doing a player career at City and my team can't even string 2 passes together.

And for those who think the games looks bad at default speed it's somehow even worse when you set the game to slow and adjust sliders because it's like the animations dont match the speed so you got a game the plays slower but with all the benny hill sped up animations. It's weird. Wth happened 22 day 1 was light years ahead of this.

All they had to do was improve on the solid base they had but it's like they threw all that out the window and now the FB engine is having a seizure trying to make it all work.

Yeah i'm really disappointed, I actually didn't mind 22 too much in spite of it's obvious passive defending, but I found it hard enough to score that it was kind of challenging. But here, I'm through on goal over and over without even trying.

I scored one earlier where I literally ran in a straight line and every defender ran away from me. Even the keeper wouldn't come out and crumpled up like a dead spider when I shot right at him.
I’ll have to play again after work. But it’s so different from my brief experience.
I barely played 22 because it was so passive an easy. Will have to see later again.

The overall pace and weight actually feels quite nice on slow but yeh, you can just sprint straight through the AI on Legendary. Bit of a joke.
Wonder if it’s because I barely dribble. I remember this on pro though and once someone painted it out. It ruined it as I hadn’t realized you could dribble past everyone.

If you surprisingly liked it and you think the EA made a step forward then don't get use to it. There's something called UPDATE waiting around the corner that will make this game completely unplayable again :-) Just reminding..
I hate to be the snarky guy, honestly. But if they make this even more unplayable (vs the AI especially) - they will have had to delete the goalkeepers or something. Maybe even the ball.

The defenders are defenders in name only. The midfield can at least be found in the midfield, but their job is to stand and watch. It's a total mess. I truly hate using language like this, but it's the worst football game I've ever played.

As always, I'm happy for anyone who enjoys it though, and also, intensely jealous.

Terrible, terrible 'football game'.

No amount of messing around with sliders night after night will save this for me. It's woeful and there's no saving this series now.

£60 saved - back to my RPGs.

Okay a switch to dynamic camera and I’m enjoying it a little more. I usually play on dynamic camera anyway because I feel more in control that way. I feel like not seeing the space encourages me not to use it as much but yeh, it doesn’t fix a broken game. I can see me sticking with the 10 hours at least though

The AI defence is easily the worst in any footy game I have played. It's a constant distraction and it's game breaking. There hasn't been 1 goal that hasn't had me baffled at the AI.

I don't even want to carry on playing the free trial nvm buy the game.

There have been some great FIFAs down the years, but this is not going to be one of them. I don't see how it could be with the mammoth pressure of the marketplace dictating what the game will be. You only have to look at how the 'game changers' (what an accidentally, brilliantly accurate name for them) play to see what this game is optimised for. That little back-and-forth thing they do where the player caresses the ball as if it's a puck and his leg is an ice hockey stick. Just a gif of that, endlessly repeating, forever...

For everyone saying that there's no football game to play, imagine a meme picture of all the ISS/WE/PES games in history here. Upper text: There’s no football game to play! Lower text: Are we a joke to you?

I.e. among them all, there will be one (and probably many) that you either never played or only played a small amount. There are years of PES still waiting to be played.

Okay a switch to dynamic camera and I’m enjoying it a little more. I usually play on dynamic camera anyway because I feel more in control that way. I feel like not seeing the space encourages me not to use it as much but yeh, it doesn’t fix a broken game. I can see me sticking with the 10 hours at least though

A tip: Save some hours so you can test it again after the 1st patch. You don't lose them, hell I still have some hours left on my Fifa 21 trial, lol.

The thing is, contrary to the fears of a patch ruining the game, I also don't think that's humanly possible. It might get a bit better, so you might want to check again.

Personally I don't think there's the slightest chance it will ever get *good enough* during the season, as that would involve AI defending, which is a big no-no in FUT La La Land, but it might get a bit better regardless. But yeah, it will still be mostly crap. But maybe a bit less smelly.

Last edited:
Last FIFA i had played was FIFA 19 and i decided to give this one a try (10h trial, of course)...

OMG what did they do with ball physics?? Using manual controls looks like i'm passing/shooting those balls with sand that you use to train crossfit/fighting...

It is definitely not for me...

Last edited:
And you know whats the saddest part in all this? That 90% of you bought this knowing its an absolute pile of shite.
What do Fifa developers think when they look into this thread?
- ah yeah, they were all moaning and yet most of them bought it anyway. So why the fuck should we change anything? Sweet!

And you know whats the saddest part in all this? That 90% of you bought this knowing its an absolute pile of shite.
- ah yeah, they were all moaning and yet most of them bought it anyway. So why the fuck should we change anything? Sweet!
Idk I'd be more willing to bet that most played the trial. Alot of old heads on here who have been around long enough to know the score when it comes to Fifa by now.

I mean yea it's still a couple of quid but it's nowhere near £60

I agree with you to an extent - but I haven't noticed many saying that they've bought it? Only @saturator and @hitmanuk from what I can gather, and they enjoyed FIFA 22.

I wanted to like this but thank god for Game Pass, I haven't wasted cash like I did last year. I get far more enjoyment from my other gaming these days.

I agree with you to an extent - but I haven't noticed many saying that they've bought it? Only @saturator and @hitmanuk from what I can gather, and they enjoyed FIFA 22.

I'm sure plenty more bought it. Getting the latest game no matter how it plays like, is not exclusively an online/fut phenomenon.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that if someone actually expected a shit game, or honestly enjoyed games like 21. I mean if you played 21 and thought it was good, there's absolutely no game that can disappoint you).

Last edited:
from videos I saw, there are some really great moments and movements. if ea can make the ai to hold ball more and ha e slower build up will be great. don't know if with radical sliders we can do something about players skating.
this is definately most polarising fifa game, some good stuff and some rubish.

I'm sure plenty more bought it. Getting the latest game no matter how it plays like, is not exclusively an online/fut phenomenon.
Yeah, if you search Twitter for #FIFA23 (and look at the "latest" tab so that you're seeing real people's reactions), you'll only see two types of posts. "My first FUT team looking pretty sick", and/or replays of net-bursting goals where the person hasn't noticed the defender walking away to let them score (and nor do they care).

People buy FIFA in the same way they pay their bills. They pay the money so they can carry on playing, with no thought as to what they're playing. It's almost like paying for Xbox Live; it's a social experience to put on with your friends. It's nothing to do with football, other than the licenses, and frankly, it's sickening to me that we're here. But we are here, and there's no going back.

Football games for football lovers are done. Said it before, and I'll say it again, because every clip is so depressing. If PES had these defences years ago, it'd be called a buggy mess (rightly) and the series would have died there and then.

But this is entirely intentional. Skill gap. 1v1. "Fun". Such a depressing blow, to have no football games to look forward to ever again.

Back
Top Bottom