FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Brought Fifa 14 PS4 version as i completely forgot it existed instead and i'm fucking happy.
How miles that game is from what i see on vids.
Animations looks more natural because it follow a physical logic, anim transitions better than PS3/PC version
Well, everything is better and much more logic than Fifa 21 to 23 and no, sorry FIFA 18-19 are just average, 21 to 23 can't be defended... Even if there's fans of 20 to me it's exactly where the real shit started (for me i repeat) without offense as i know there's some amateurs here.
From the ball, to speed, to EVERYTHING, it's not at all the same game, and it's sharing the same name with a different number relative to their seasons.

It's an imaginary This Is Football with tons of animations vs PES 5 (i choose that game to stay in the era where there was multiple football game, not to place "PES" here).
On Fifa 14, Tactical Dribbling / Contain button is a totally different feature which permits you to get physical battle all around the pitch, also the stat "Interception" isn't just a number which doesn't matter, i got many when i did some obvious passes.
Well i don't regret having brough that game, plus it's a bit different graphically and in terms of animations than the PC version i got too.

But Fifa 23 is just the baddest joke i never heard about football. It looks like old football game from PS1/PS2, dumb, but with midfield players moving to their goal at every attack instead of trying to intercept, and players got less inertia and more skating that games like Ronaldo V football, This is football, and looks more hard to defend and less realistic than real Arcade games such as Super Sidekicks/Virtua Striker 1 to 3 (well i take good games to compare you will said it's unfair here but the point is they're notified as Arcade and they looks less Offensive oriented and logic than a game with around 25 stats on 99 and different positions, special techniques and normally tons of physics algorithms in more).

I feel like we should try and avoid Slider Wars 8000 when it comes out. Maybe we could create a slider only thread perhaps?

Some like them.
Some hate them.
Some of us try to fix some things.
No-one thinks they fix everything.

Can we all agree on that at least.
Exactly why EA cant please everyone, i think people forget EA could release a game with no sliders and the sales/income wouldn't be noticeably dented. And then there could bea whole thread on why Acceleration slider is better at 49/48 , everyone wants utopia and everybodys utopia is different. Im still really enjoying 22 - a couple of games per day in my Div 1 league hopefully FIFA 23 is somewhat of an improvement and me and my lad will be happy bunnies. Just paid 79p to get the 10 hour trial before disc comes Friday :)

Exactly why EA cant please everyone, i think people forget EA could release a game with no sliders and the sales/income wouldn't be noticeably dented.

If they're not willing to update them/expand on them/work on them anymore, they should do just that. At least people would stop torturing themselves experimenting with a long abandoned feature, all year long.

Last edited:
If they're not willing to update them/expand on them/work on them anymore, they should do just that. At least people would stop torturing themselves adjusting sliders all year long.
Why would anyone who considers it torture buy the game ? I mean if I thought like that I'd wait for impressions after a month or so

Brought Fifa 14 PS4 version as i completely forgot it existed instead and i'm fucking happy.
How miles that game is from what i see on vids.
Animations looks more natural because it follow a physical logic, anim transitions better than PS3/PC version
Well, everything is better and much more logic than Fifa 21 to 23 and no, sorry FIFA 18-19 are just average, 21 to 23 can't be defended... Even if there's fans of 20 to me it's exactly where the real shit started (for me i repeat) without offense as i know there's some amateurs here.
From the ball, to speed, to EVERYTHING, it's not at all the same game, and it's sharing the same name with a different number relative to their seasons.

It's an imaginary This Is Football with tons of animations vs PES 5 (i choose that game to stay in the era where there was multiple football game, not to place "PES" here).
On Fifa 14, Tactical Dribbling / Contain button is a totally different feature which permits you to get physical battle all around the pitch, also the stat "Interception" isn't just a number which doesn't matter, i got many when i did some obvious passes.
Well i don't regret having brough that game, plus it's a bit different graphically and in terms of animations than the PC version i got too.

But Fifa 23 is just the baddest joke i never heard about football. It looks like old football game from PS1/PS2, dumb, but with midfield players moving to their goal at every attack instead of trying to intercept, and players got less inertia and more skating that games like Ronaldo V football, This is football, and looks more hard to defend and less realistic than real Arcade games such as Super Sidekicks/Virtua Striker 1 to 3 (well i take good games to compare you will said it's unfair here but the point is they're notified as Arcade and they looks less Offensive oriented and logic than a game with around 25 stats on 99 and different positions, special techniques and normally tons of physics algorithms in more).
FIFA 14 is an incredible game on PS4. Better than the turgid crap they serve us these days.

manmachine said:
If they're not willing to update them/expand on them/work on them anymore, they should do just that. At least people would stop torturing themselves experimenting with a long abandoned feature, all year long.

This is when I decided I'm not doing the FIFA thing any longer. I spent so much time adjusting sliders in FIFA 22 that it became an obsession in the end. I was focusing on that more than my actual Manager Career Mode save. Sliders cause placebo effect - they never address the things that ruin the game. Sure, I can lower pass speed. It doesn't stop the CPU from playing super fast, unrealistic passes though. For LOLs, I put pass speed to 0 (ZERO). And the CPU still passed it around at a ridiculous speed.

The last good FIFA game for me was probably FIFA 16 - 17 at a push although that was the beginning of Frostbite which has plagued the series since. Plus FIFA 17's tiny ball was an immersion killer. I'm not a fan of tiny balls.

I'm far happier just reading about FIFA 23 and watching people capture their experience - so thanks to @saturator and co, you provide a service to us people who refuse to give EA our money this year :) - this might sound dramatic, but I was actually getting frustrated with trying to find the perfect football game for my tastes. It doesn't exist and the old PES games are fine for short bursts but no more than that. I love racers so I play a lot of GT7 now, plus there are some excellent single player RPGs to get stuck into, so I've been playing a lot of Divinity Original Sin. There's just no room for FIFA on my playlist anymore but I still love discussing it.

With all that being said, we get to play the FIFA 23 10-hour trial on PC & Xbox Game Pass I think. I might check it out at some point but there's not a chance in hell EA Sport get a dime of my hard earned money anymore. I might try the game just to see how bad it is going from the BETA feedback. And a reminder to why I don't waste time playing football games now.

Last edited:
Why would anyone who considers it torture buy the game ? I mean if I thought like that I'd wait for impressions after a month or so

Fair question. I agree with you, so I don't buy it. I'm not interested in paying for spending my time fixing the game instead of playing it. But I've done it in the past, it's how I've learned what is & what isn't fixable myself. Many still want to do just that though, or falsely assume it's possible. It can't be a pleasant thing spending all year trying to get the game to play the way you want it.

Obviously many like the game enough anyway and just tweak it a tiny bit and that's fine too.

Last edited:
There is no salvation for this FIFA until they quit Frostbite, they don't make a good soccer game on this engine.
Frostbite was the biggest component in FIFA losing that satisfying fluid feel. That's the reason why FIFA 16 is considered the peak of the series in terms of simulation. Because it was the last one before Frostbite.

Frostbite was an engine designed for First Person Shooters primarily, Not real time sports games that required hundreds of calculations and variables per second. Plus a lot of resources and development was placed on visuals and making immersive story modes with lots of cutscenes to justify the engine like the journey instead of focusing those staff resources on correcting gameplay issues that arose out of the conversion.

Yeah, I’m out. This game looks abysmal. That weird ball-glow effect when you score or go close to scoring is STILL there too.

It looks like a FIFA 22 copy and paste job to me with added Hypermotion Replays.

It does - there’s a few UK based Twitch streamers currently live who have used the method :)
Is it just changing your Xbox to New Zealand or does it require a pc and vpn ? Cheers
Looked it up. No way I’m buying it. Never mind the ultimate edition. I survived last year without buying a footy game. Unless it turns out good. Maybe game share.

Last edited:
Yes if mods are in. What's your opinion about the game, Mathgamer
I didn't notice much difference to the beta, but I know the update will be big and will have a lot of fixes, maybe more than FIFA 22. I hate ML Flow, the animations are very bad, it looks like the ball sticks to your foot.

Is it just changing your Xbox to New Zealand or does it require a pc and vpn ? Cheers
Looked it up. No way I’m buying it. Never mind the ultimate edition. I survived last year without buying a footy game. Unless it turns out good. Maybe game share.
You just change location to New Zealand in the Xbox settings, no need for a PC or VPN :)

I didn't notice much difference to the beta, but I know the update will be big and will have a lot of fixes, maybe more than FIFA 22. I hate ML Flow, the animations are very bad, it looks like the ball sticks to your foot.
What is ML Flow, mate?

Ah, remember when this time of year was our time of year...

I really liked FIFA 22 for about a month, and was surprised to find myself paying £60 for it. I struggled to like it more and more as the 'game-changers' had their way. Then one of the 'game-changer' patches killed it dead.

FIFA 23 is the best £60 I'll never spend.

I still cringe at the memory of believing that Hypermotion was a meaningful thing. (Example of the sheer bullshit involved: "This post has been brought to you with Dynagraph.") EA are really, really, really good at what they do.

Ah, remember when this time of year was our time of year...

I really liked FIFA 22 for about a month, and was surprised to find myself paying £60 for it. I struggled to like it more and more as the 'game-changers' had their way. Then one of the 'game-changer' patches killed it dead.

FIFA 23 is the best £60 I'll never spend.

I still cringe at the memory of believing that Hypermotion was a meaningful thing. (Example of the sheer bullshit involved: "This post has been brought to you with Dynagraph.") EA are really, really, really good at what they do.
You perfectly summed up my (and probably many other people) experience with FIFA 22. I also loved it for about a month and then it went downhill quickly.

The Game Changers really do change the game alright. :(

As for Hypermotion, it’s another marketing gimmick that EA have used so many times in the past, it’s just called something different this time. What exactly is this Hypermotion? The extreme ice skating?

Back
Top Bottom