FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

New Gameplay (Launch Version)

Fast forwarded to find gameplay.

First bit I come to (49:50), it's five passes and a shot. Midfield back off all the way. No pressing. No marking. Defenders just watching.

It's no different.

It's like buying a golf game that just has the tee shots, and literally nothing else. The entire game of football is missing, apart from the goals.

Where's the joy of finding the right pass to unlock an opportunity? Where's the misplaced passes because you tried to be overambitious with a dodgy passer (as opposed to every single pass being successful no matter the player, no matter the difficulty, no matter the distance)? Where's defending? Where's the tactics? Where's the strategy? The answer... They're not needed.

Pass pass shoot. Pass pass shoot. Pass pass shoot.

Honestly, isn't that boring as hell for every player? Including casual players who don't really care if it's like football or not?

First bit I come to (49:50), it's five passes and a shot. Midfield back off all the way. No pressing. No marking. Defenders just watching.

It's no different.

It's like buying a golf game that just has the tee shots, and literally nothing else. The entire game of football is missing, apart from the goals.

Where's the joy of finding the right pass to unlock an opportunity? Where's the misplaced passes because you tried to be overambitious with a dodgy passer (as opposed to every single pass being successful no matter the player, no matter the difficulty, no matter the distance)? Where's defending? Where's the tactics? Where's the strategy? The answer... They're not needed.

Honestly, isn't that boring as hell for every player? Including casual players who don't really care if it's like football or not?
I'm not surprised at all. The vanilla version looks like the beta vanilla. Women gameplay should be slower than men gameplay and I didn't seen any difference right now. Fut and online will be goal fests as usual.

Sad days mates. FIFA 22 dayone is less arcadish than FIFA 23.

1664012355754.png
1664012568820.png

What I like the most is how this is just constantly a 4v4 Volta match inside the box with eveyone else miles off, ready for the next 4v4 Volta match in the other box. Well almost constantly. The time wasted to sprint or pass there is precious seconds of downtime though. I don't understand why this pointless transition is in the game, I'm getting older and I don't have much time to waste. So I will be skipping the game. But if they can get rid of that next time, game will easily be worth $90 next year for the basic version and $20 for the free demo.

The skating is just horrendous. I haven't ever seen skating this bad on any other fifa game. Even the ps1 fifa games looked more reasonable when the players dribbled.
There's a point in the video where the defender is dribbling with the ball and when the striker presses, the defender just warps back and forth about 4 times in 1.5 seconds to shake the strikers trail.

The whole beauty of dribbling and turning in football is there's a massive element of gambling, a risk/reward factor to trying to feint a player, relying on inertia and it paying off or you get caught out and dispossed. This law doesn't apply in this game and it just looks stupid.

The gliding and skating of players in order to appease the ball and satisfy the gamer just completely ruins the balance & almost destroys any skill required to play the game.

The skating is just horrendous. I haven't ever seen skating this bad on any other fifa game. Even the ps1 fifa games looked more reasonable when the players dribbled.

In all honesty I haven't seen worst skating than in 22 Next Gen with the previous version of Hypermotion. I mean, I agree this is not good enough and I'd still rather play Fifa 11 which is 1000% the better game, but in 22 NG it was just constant on every single touch/trap of the ball.

The whole beauty of dribbling and turning in football is there's a massive element of gambling, a risk/reward factor to trying to feint a player, relying on inertia and it paying off or you get caught out and dispossed. This law doesn't apply in this game and it just looks stupid.

For a game that is supposedly about 1v1s, the actual 1v1s suck for this very reason. 1v1s are a game of commiting to a dribble/move (any move) from either the defender or the attacker which takes X time to execute and the opponent can either read and have time to react to correctly, or not. But this is taken completely out of the game, otherwise it wouldn't be "responsive". You only commit to a move for as long as you don't input another move, so it's almost impossible to read/play if you don't have the response times of an actual CPU.

But of course "1v1s" was just a marketing term that sounded better than "the AI players are now brain dead", which was the only real change. They actually removed a huge part of the game but named it in such a way that implied they added a new feature. The art of marketing can be amazing at times!

Last edited:
Yes you're right.

Speaking about Hypermotion 2 with 6 000 new animations and when you look at this video. You think : damned what a big lie from FIFA developpers. More animations for more skating. A real marketing desaster.

On the beta, I have seen some skating but never like that.

Last edited:
the only thing that looks great for me is that shot when press L1+R1+ shoot. I doesn't have problem with arcade elements in the game if they look and feel great. the whole process and execution looks real nextgen thing. other than that maybe feels different when holding the joystick but defending even against ai is nightmare for me in 22, now in 23 looks like on steroids.

It's no different.

Are these issues apparent in offline modes vs AI too?

Ive not played a Fifa game since Fifa 19 and tend to play exclusively offline. Most videos I have seen so far of 23’ are online 1 v 1’s.

If these issues persist offline then I might not bother. It’s sad how far the standard has fallen for football games.

On this episode, we hear from FIFA 23 Gameplay Producers Sam Kovalev and Tom Caleffi. They field various FIFA 23 related questions from AirJapes and your host Ben:

1:44 Partial Team Press
5:18 Will Kroos Be Useable?
6:58 Is Pace Always Key?
15:03 Why Change Pace?
22:20 CB Penalty
24:26 New Blocking System
30:37 Hard Slide
33:07 Passing Assistance
38:00 Player Switching
43:54 Low Shots
44:52 New Outside Foot Button
46:22 Best Skill Moves

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...vbS5jb20sMjAyMi0wOS0yNDovcG9zdHMvODE2MjkzMQ==

Are these issues apparent in offline modes vs AI too?

Ive not played a Fifa game since Fifa 19 and tend to play exclusively offline. Most videos I have seen so far of 23’ are online 1 v 1’s.

If these issues persist offline then I might not bother. It’s sad how far the standard has fallen for football games.
Hello
This is an example of a match in FIFA 22.

If you like the tempo, you have the same on FIFA 23, with better animations and goal Keeper. It's on World Cup level with sliders of course.

Marseille vs Lyon - FUMA - 8 minutes - WC

Marseille vs Athletico Madrid - FUMA

Rennes vs Marseille - FUMA

If you like the gameplay, you will like FIFA 23 offline. If you don't, didn't buy it.

Got to say there was a moment just then where Haaland was under pressure on his right foot and the way he shanked it wide was a pleasure to see.

Overall though, it's going backwards if anything. I wouldn't download it if it was free

Last edited:
In all honesty I haven't seen worst skating than in 22 Next Gen with the previous version of Hypermotion. I mean, I agree this is not good enough and I'd still rather play Fifa 11 which is 1000% the better game, but in 22 NG it was just constant on every single touch/trap of the ball.

oh yeah, 21 and 22 might even have worse skating. I didn't bother to keep up with 21 and 22 news and videos since the pc port was old gen.

It seems like this whole "hypermotion" thing just ruined the animations.

WTF are ai players doing in these videos? They stand still all the time. No sliders can fix this by 1%, it's just unnaceptable! It looks like alpha gameplay where only human players are working. How can you even defend in this game, it will be a nightmare. Do they have any quality assurance before they release the product in public? Imagine buying a bread that have just the crust, you came home happy to have good meal and slice it, it's empty. This is joke really!

The ball sticks to the foot so easily.

Yeah, I've seen this too many times. Loved this one, made him go "Whoa!!" so I had to keep his face in the gif! Maybe it reminded him of the '90s when the ball was still glued to the feet in video games because the tech was still primitive. Now they're using hypermotion to do the same thing. It's not needed, just go back to the fifa 96 code or something. At least it had defending.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Brings me back to the crap 1v1s. How can you time any tackle if the player dribbling can just take 5 different touches - with the same foot - in the same stride - in any direction he wishes - any time he wishes, just lol.

Last edited:

Yep, the release version is no different to what I experienced. Every game was like this. I mean, every single one.

XG in reality is usually around 1. Here it's often 5-8 times that, because there is no resistance. There is no fixing this. The AI doesn't exist.

Whether they argue they're "making a game" and that "games should be fun" (i.e. full of goals) or not, the fact is, they're making something that is as connected to football as I am to nuclear physics.

I will be truly surprised if the reviews are favourable this year.

I would try the 10h trial... but now i'm about to give up.

You can change things with sliders but the animations and skating will be there forever. There is no escape.

That guy is only one who play exhibition matches. All other fckn fut. Most of them just moving around cards, teams etc.

Unbelievable...
I play only exhibition matches too. Every football game I own, 90-95% of my games are exhibition matches. I couldn't care too much about other modes tbh. Which is a big reason I don't care for eFootball right now

Does anyone know if day one patch is applied in these videos? Maybe I can live with some skating, which can be reduced with sprint and acc slider but that positioning is off all the time.

Played Fifa 18 last night with various teams and I had a feeling that I play next gen football game in terms of foot planting, animations, physicality, gameplay overall. With creative players I have really controll of that what I want to achieve, for example Eriksen, he was really good tehnician and good passer, with one or two right moves you can open up spaces, unlock the defence with killer pass. That is not present in Fifa 22 at all, feels like unfinished game after playing Fifa 18.

Does anyone know if day one patch is applied in these videos? Maybe I can live with some skating, which can be reduced with sprint and acc slider but that positioning is off all the time.

Played Fifa 18 last night with various teams and I had a feeling that I play next gen football game in terms of foot planting, animations, physicality, gameplay overall. With creative players I have really controll of that what I want to achieve, for example Eriksen, he was really good tehnician and good passer, with one or two right moves you can open up spaces, unlock the defence with killer pass. That is not present in Fifa 22 at all, feels like unfinished game after playing Fifa 18.
The dayone patch is already out because the transferts are ok.

Like Chris said, every single game on vanilla, even in FUMA will be a frenetic one. There is no issue . I have made 10 matchs without sliders always tennis scores at the end

So if you don't used sliders, this year, it's dead. Really.
With sliders, i have reduced skating. No dead, but less there. Put the game on slow is the first thing to do.
The game speed can be really reduced, like the other years.

Referees are blind too this year. Put strickness to strick or very strick.
I saw only ping pong passes for CPU and players because all the streamers played FUTO. If you want that the ball didn't stick to your foot, you need to play semi or FUMA for your passes and changed some sliders.

For the CPU, errors passes/shoot should be around 75 and bad controls around 80.

You can fixed the freaking hole in the midfield with sliders. Marking should be around 75.

With all this fixed, the game will be like FIFA 22 with better physics, animations.

This year, attack is really very strong. Defend is hard but enjoyable.
The only good thing i've Seen on these videos is that CPU mades more centers and crosses on vanilla.

The only good thing i've Seen on these videos is that CPU mades more centers and crosses on vanilla.
This is their equivalent of the "fouls fix" in the FIFA 22 update, where their fix for the absence of fouls was to make random AI players perform insane red-card slides throughout the match (rather than mistiming difficult-to-make tackles with poorer - or more aggressive - defenders).

The AI knows the easiest way to score is simply to run through the middle and smash a shot or a "power shot" in the top corner, because an opponent will very rarely get close enough to stop them. There is no point in doing anything else because, unlike in real football, only one way of playing has the most success.

But now they're forced to put crosses in sometimes, being purposefully dumb, and we're supposed to be grateful. Yet nothing is actually "fixed" about the gameplay, and the scorelines are still astronomical.

It shows just how much care and attention is put into the game right now, when these are the "fixed" we're thrown.

Anybody hoping for a patch in 23's lifecycle that will improve the midfield/defensive resistance and positioning (or the skating) - you're hoping for a whole new game. It's not possible in a patch.

And on the skating... I will never forget the Eurogamer quote about 23, where Sam Rivera says it's reduced. I've never felt truly lied to by EA until this year - but that and the Hypermotion 2 claims... Well. Make your own mind up.

https://www.eurogamer.net/fifa-23-has-a-new-power-shot

Rivera admitted FIFA 22 sometimes feels "slidey", with players sometimes skating when turning. The new system for FIFA 23 makes players more grounded, and turning feels better, Rivera said. There are machine learning-powered steps in-between dribble touches, which should make for better visuals.

This is the same Sam Rivera who, in a FIFA 22 pre-release Q&A, read out a question about midfielders tracking back / defenders defending, and said "if they did that, every game would be 0-0 and it would be boring".

If that doesn't tell you why FIFA is now aggressively the opposite of a 0-0 (and I would say the opposite of football), nothing will.

Jesus Christ.

Ridiculous, disgusting dribbling, and braindead, traffic-cone AI. What a combination. How can anyone like this?

The midfielder who pretends to follow the ball-carrier and then just STOPS MOVING like his batteries have run out... It's absolutely shocking.

(Before anyone says "difficulty level", like they did when we all noticed this issue LONG AGO in the trailers, he plays on Legendary as he says in the previous tweets I've posted.)

Back
Top Bottom