FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

(Spotted by @Placebo)

Fantastic PR stunt, can't blame them for that. I'm sure it'll bring a lot of joy.

Just can't help but feel like I'm being pushed further and further away from FIFA every year, and this year feels like the end of the road. Nothing like this exists for us (e.g. huge exciting simulation changes - that's more of it, not less, just to clarify). Really feels like the end of an era. But happy days for fans of the show.
We live in a world where everyone and everything is cross promoted and partnered nowadays. From Batista in Gears of War, Conor McGregor in Call of Duty, Ronda Rousey in Mortal Kombat, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Machine Gun Kelly in WWE 2K to Usain Bolt in PES and Dua fucking Lipa in FIFA and Fortnite with just about every pop culture IP on the planet...

It's just an evolution of showbiz commercial back slapping really, happened with TV shows and films doing it with musical artists with no acting credentials to promote each other and give each other exposure to new fans and their respective audiences, gaming is the new billion dollar medium to advertise and commoditise.

I joked that it would be eFootball to adopt Marvel characters first to incentivise Dream Team and it's departure from licensed real world teams but EA have beat them to it with the Superheroes and now this.

Maybe we'll see John Cena or Jake Paul in EA Sports Football before we ever see realistic foot planting or team-mates that press and track back like they did in FIFA 19, a game from less than 4 years ago ever again.

I was thinking about this the other day but I came to the different conclusion.

Everything is the same more or less, then game itself is probably better as well, what changed is that we where younger, if you know what I mean... :)

I politly disagree. Yeah I am getting older, but I remain pretty exited about the idea of footy game leaning toward a simulation. I actually had a day off today and played 3 FIFA16 game of 2x15mins. I was alone with only my cat at home and I was sheering and scremaing while playing with the sound lound (I mostly play with a headset). Three great games!
Last year I bought a serie X almost only to be able to play FIFA22 NG, so I was excited. But man what a disapontement it has been (only the handfull of games I played against mates from here were enjoyable to some extent). 1vs1 introduction is the worst thing that has happened to this serie. It is my nightmare. Then animations, oh yes great! we have hypermotion and machine learning computing the animation in real time, only to get players sliding all over the pitch, turning like ninja turtles on roller blade. FIFA has been dumbed down every year since FIFA17. FIFA17 has probaly the best AI, but it clearly suffers from animations and collisions, ball physics ect. I am disgusted about the new footy game situation, but I am in peace with footy games as long as I can play the older ones.

Last edited:
I politly disagree. Yeah I am getting older, but I remain pretty exited about the idea of footy game leaning toward a simulation. I actually had a day off today and played 3 FIFA16 game of 2x15mins. I was alone with only my cat at home and I was sheering and scremaing while playing with the sound lound (I mostly play with a headset). Three great games!
Last year I bought a serie X almost only to be able to play FIFA22 NG, so I was excited. But man what a disapontement it has been (only the handfull of games I played against mates from here were enjoyable to some extent). 1vs1 introduction is the worst thing that has happened to this serie. It is my nightmare. Then animations, oh yes great! we have hypermotion and machine learning computing the animation in real time, only to get players sliding all over the pitch, turning like ninja turtles on roller blade. FIFA has been dumbed down every year since FIFA17. FIFA17 has probaly the best AI, but it clearly suffers from animations and collisions, ball physics ect. I am disgusted about the new footy game situation, but I am in peace with footy games as long as I can play the older ones.

It's only when you play the older titles that you realise just how bad the state of things is now. I found myself playing fifa 18 on my switch and enjoying it more than fifa 22 on ps5!

So, as far as I understand correctly, in FIFA 23 you still cannot change the kits of teams that do not have a license? The defaults are terrible, at least so far they have been. Their colors are incorrect and you do not need a license for that.

So, as far as I understand correctly, in FIFA 23 you still cannot change the kits of teams that do not have a license? The defaults are terrible, at least so far they have been. Their colors are incorrect and you do not need a license for that.

They'll be something stupid in the rights where they're not allowed to use the same colours. Very frustrating. I swear they could do a better job than they do, though.

I'm maybe the only one who is waiting for FIFA 23. My son will play it on the SteamDeck and me on PS5/Series X.

The new ambiance on the stadiums, a lot of animations, a lot of new starheads, GK reactions (Pro_Too, you will be mad👀), new cinematics, the great pitch, the nets, real coachs ou career mode, snow matches, the WC, i know i will enjoy.

Gameplay is better than FIFA 22.

I know what you thinking, but I will be right here on this place the 27th for some foutage!
I'm waiting too. I'm going to buy a PS5 in just over a week once I get my salary bonus & I'll finally get to experience next gen football (with sliders, of course)

I'm waiting too. I'm going to buy a PS5 in just over a week once I get my salary bonus & I'll finally get to experience next gen football (with sliders, of course)
Thanks for your reply. It's a sad day for players because since FIFA 17, simulation fans didn't find what they want : a realistic game.

It's the last FIFA, the end of a glorious Era with high and low.
This FIFA 23 i hope could be nice with sliders.
No perfect but playable.
This year immersion is the key word : very nice to play with your favorite team in tour ground!

I play yesterday NBA 2K23 and it's the king of immersion with a simulation gameplay. That's my goal : to have a nice game with immersion with FIFA 23.
I know it will be hard but I have to try👀

Thanks for your reply. It's a sad day for players because since FIFA 17, simulation fans didn't find what they want : a realistic game.

It's the last FIFA, the end of a glorious Era with high and low.
This FIFA 23 i hope could be nice with sliders.
No perfect but playable.
This year immersion is the key word : very nice to play with your favorite team in tour ground!

I play yesterday NBA 2K23 and it's the king of immersion with a simulation gameplay. That's my goal : to have a nice game with immersion with FIFA 23.
I know it will be hard but I have to try👀
I've said it before but lower league games play out pretty realistic, sure there's a few questionable animations but the pace is nice out of 9 games of my Bolton league every game has been 1-0 , 2-1 etc so relatively realistic with fouls . I had one game where I was hammered 5-0 due to a sending off and a shit formation but other than that I find it engaging . It's unfortunate as you go to the top divisions the animations seem to speed up to probably replicate the difference in quality making it ridiculously quicker and more un natural looking ...in my opinion of course

I'll still be picking up the game on the 27th. I'm not expecting it to be great, I've seen the BETA and it did not look good! ....but I'm still curious to give it a run myself anyway.

For a stretch I quite liked 22 NG, and I can still get enjoyment out of it - but it's far from perfect. Overall 22 NG for me was an improvement on 21, which was the worst FIFA I've ever played. Expectations are pretty low but let's see it.

I've also been playing a lot of NBA 2k23 on ps5 - and as @saturator said, that's a brilliant game and shows where we could be if we wanted to create a true simulation. There's no real sacrifice in responsiveness for animations, the mechanics are unforgiving (in a really good way) and in a sport where there's only 5 players on the pitch/court, your teammates actually MOVE!

Oh and as @papinho81 said, I'm still at peace with the situation because I have the old games to go back to - especially our treasured 16 :WORSHIP:

Last edited:
I'll still be picking up the game on the 27th. I'm not expecting it to be great, I've seen the BETA and it did not look good! ....but I'm still curious to give it a run myself anyway.

For a stretch I quite liked 22 NG, and I can still get enjoyment out of it - but it's far from perfect. Overall 22 NG for me was an improvement on 21, which was the worst FIFA I've ever played. Expectations are pretty low but let's see it.

I've also been playing a lot of NBA 2k23 on ps5 - and as @saturator said, that's a brilliant game and shows where we could be if we wanted to create a true simulation. There's no real sacrifice in responsiveness for animations, the mechanics are unforgiving (in a really good way) and in a sport where there's only 5 players on the pitch/court, your teammates actually MOVE!

Oh and as @papinho81 said, I'm still at peace with the situation because I have the old games to go back to - especially our treasured 16 :WORSHIP:
Yes fifa 21 NG was the worst FIFA since FIFA 17. Nothing to save!
If you enjoy FIFA 22, you will really enjoy FIFA 23, il it looks like FIFA 23 beta.

Not marvellous, but there are a lot of tweaks very noticables whom help gameplay to be less unatural, less frenetic. Really new animations are greats more fluid but in trailers I haven't see the difference. GK look shit on trailers too but they don't if you pushing the sliders to 65.

Vanilla game could be very bad, with amazing scores fest if lacenty is there like the beta.
FUTO is really really assistés and you have more freedom on FUMA than befor. Thanks to ball physics. On FUTO it's vert scriptes, it's a direct Line for passes with a unrealistic speed when you kick it. It didn't happen on FUMA or rarely.

I have made 4 divisions matches and international matches. The fun is equal. More technics on international but more battles, more errors on D4.

The first thing to change is the rythme of the game. Slowing down passes, speed and shoots and some nice animations you will see. Even inertia is there. Turn back is really well done.

Stats are the key to judge sliders.
If you have a score of 4-5 with 25 shoots for the CPU, you failed.
If you have 2-1 between City and Liverpool with 15-16 shoots on goals you succeed.

My tips :
* Made 5-6 matchs on vanilla with differents level if teams and conditions: low division, international and Elite teams and Sunny/snow/rain
* Look at the stats to know what's wrong
* Try ti change 1 or 2 values in a riw, not more to see what happened on the pitch
*If it works you can change others sliders. If not, change by 5 the value ( except acceleration)

The 3 differents spirints it 's a very nice feature if you manage to tweak a little accélération. 46/48 is a nice value. Mbappé have of course an Real advantage but Van Dick with his physic can win the duel.

If you enjoy FIFA 22, you will really enjoy FIFA 23
This is the key. If you enjoyed 22, you'll probably enjoy 23.

Although.

No tweaks could fix how much emptier the midfield was for me (that's coming from 22, which had the emptiest midfield of any FIFA I'd played up to that point), which meant every single match had 20-40 shots and there's just no way that's enjoyable.

(I know you're a manual player, @saturator, which makes a big difference - more passes will be off-target for example - but if you're a semi or fully assisted player, I really think you'll struggle to stop games being like basketball games with silly scorelines.)

To be fair, I did enjoy the release version of 22, so there's a tiny chance it will release in a better shape. HOWEVER, there was an update released a few days ago that I THINK turned the 23 early version that some are playing into the "v1.01" day one version, and general opinion seems to be that it continues to double-down on the wide-open nature of the gameplay.

20-40 shots on semi controls? You are better than me :)
Between both teams I mean.

One of my last games on the beta had almost 20 shots each, between two lower-league teams. I went to the PL thinking it would be tighter, and it was identical. At that point, I couldn't stomach it any longer.

Between both teams I mean.

One of my last games on the beta had almost 20 shots each, between two lower-league teams. I went to the PL thinking it would be tighter, and it was identical. At that point, I couldn't stomach it any longer.
Is football that tight though these days

Liverpool v Newcastle 28 shots
Newcastle v wolves 31 shots

I'm just saying not picking at your comment and I'm not saying fifa translates it well either .

Although.

No tweaks could fix how much emptier the midfield was for me (that's coming from 22, which had the emptiest midfield of any FIFA I'd played up to that point), which meant every single match had 20-40 shots and there's just no way that's enjoyable.

(I know you're a manual player, @saturator, which makes a big difference - more passes will be off-target for example - but if you're a semi or fully assisted player, I really think you'll struggle to stop games being like basketball games with silly scorelines.)

To be fair, I did enjoy the release version of 22, so there's a tiny chance it will release in a better shape. HOWEVER, there was an update released a few days ago that I THINK turned the 23 early version that some are playing into the "v1.01" day one version, and general opinion seems to be that it continues to double-down on the wide-open nature of the gameplay.
If the CPU off ball engagement is anything like the beta then it’s a lost cause. My only hope is there’s been some work on it. I know it’s wishful thinking but I’ll continue to hope until I’ve played it.

Although.

Yes I know what you mean Chris.
My settings always fucked up so sometimes I was on FUTO. And in 10 seconds, you know that. Ping pong passing, very fast turn around and empty midfields, it's just horrible.

I'have tried to play FUMA with no sliders. It's impossible. Every game, CPU shoots 20-30 with 8 minutes and game speed on slow on WC difficulty. There is no midfields because in 3 seconds you are on the other side ans same thing for CPU. An invisible hand take tout Defender to let strikers scores. And latency in control, even GK one, i really can't.

I didn't try on semi but i think i will be the same.
So stay there folks, i will share my gameplay and it's always nice to hear what you're thinking. When you're playing you're not focusing on sliding, but you see the empty midfields.

Back
Top Bottom