FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

There are some encouraging things in this video, in my opinion it is better than the beta.
The attacking AI is more diverse, and it actually attempts crosses and long passes. This almost never happened in the beta.
The AI defenders also seem to be more active and try to mark their man or block possible shot trajectories. There are also some instances where I noticed well executed offside traps.
It's either this, or I'm seeing things that I want to see because I need a football game to play in the next year or so.

There are some encouraging things in this video, in my opinion it is better than the beta.
The attacking AI is more diverse, and it actually attempts crosses and long passes. This almost never happened in the beta.
The AI defenders also seem to be more active and try to mark their man or block possible shot trajectories. There are also some instances where I noticed well executed offside traps.
It's either this, or I'm seeing things that I want to see because I need a football game to play in the next year or so.

It does indeed look much better than anything we have seen so far. It is still a sliding contest, but AI positining and engagement wise it seems much better. You can still see some of the short comings of the 1vs1, like on the user goal where some AI defenders are too passive inside their own box. But it looks like the AI is closing the passing lanes quite effectively which force the user to try different things.

Still seems like ice hockey to me. Players still making strong passes without lifting a leg. Skating galore. Takes no effort for any player to control the ball easily. Ugh. Looks like a game from 20 years ago.

YouTube has a nice feature called „True-Motion-Detector 2.0“ (codename: „icey_observer“)
When you set your youtube player to 0.25 play speed, it detects foot planting and animation errors in video games!
Just saying…

😉

Last edited:
The passes look so bad, often way harder and faster than context should allow. Look for that heel pass in the box near the start after about 5.40. Absurd.
Oh and I think I found their inspiration for Hypermotion:

There's also just hardly any intercepted passes anymore. What's the point in your team shape/width if you can play virtually any pass right through at will.

Well if I put that gameplay on slow speed + sliders ... I could play it.

P.S. I didnt say I will enjoy it, but just it will be playable
And this is why it will never change... Because sales figures and usage statistics will always point to people "enjoying the game", when in-fact we're just so desperate for a football game, we'd play anything.

I will probably give the EA Access (or whatever it's called) "trial" version a go, but my time with the beta made it crystal clear that we (guys who want an actual football game) don't matter at all to them any more. I have to opt out this year and hope that many others do too. Otherwise, we'll never break this cycle of truly (IMO) horrendous gameplay.

And this is why it will never change... Because sales figures and usage statistics will always point to people "enjoying the game", when in-fact we're just so desperate for a football game, we'd play anything.

I will probably give the EA Access (or whatever it's called) "trial" version a go, but my time with the beta made it crystal clear that we (guys who want an actual football game) don't matter at all to them any more. I have to opt out this year and hope that many others do too. Otherwise, we'll never break this cycle of truly (IMO) horrendous gameplay.
I dont agree .... it will never change because of FUT idiots, I never played online and never spent a cent on those card (never will)

90% of their profit is not football game fans, but FUT idiots

120 Fps on Series X/S, sweet.

cache-v2

Basketball vs Football games comparison shouldn't even be mentioned.
It's incomparable in every ways.
A football games would never looks, even today such detailed as a Basketball one.

Just watched a CM guy explain how his fave new feature are playable highlights, because it makes career mode "so much shorter & fun". Of course that's all he showed in his big reveal!

EA really does a terrific job cherry picking the best clowns for their "creator network"!

Last edited:
I dont agree .... it will never change because of FUT idiots, I never played online and never spent a cent on those card (never will)

90% of their profit is not football game fans, but FUT idiots
Of course, i don't think of any hope like you that it will be a solution for a change. It won't change in anyways : it needs a much much bigger boycott than some games sold in less. As you said, what brings money is FUT addicts and they will buy the game whatever shitty it is.
But i agree with Chris post except that there's could be any change "If" etc.

Talking about it, no comment, but i got an even worst sensation looking at the famous video "the game seems better" than for the awful FIFA 22.
Won't buy it just because i won't play it, not for boycott / hope of change got their limits.
It will perhaps change one day, but for the moment the machine is running well, they're financially around their top.

All they have to do is create a simulation mode for career players and the rest can fuck off. I have never played FUT or Volta or The story of the young dude who goes on to be the worlds biggest crack head! Just give us a break and put something together for CM.

A little off topic but look at the gameplay and animations of NBA 2K23 and imagine how a football came COULD look today:

I'm not a basketball expert by any means but from what I can tell, NBA 2K is a sim heavy game (or at least it used to be) and other than the usual MTX bullshit everyone incorporates in their games nowadays, gameplay wise it looks like it still keeps it's integrity as a realistic basketball game.

Which if i'm correct and we need a basketball game expert here to corroborate - NBA2K being a sim and being a popular, best selling game of 2K, proves that people DO want simulation sports games and WILL pay money for them, enjoy them and SPEND MORE money on their cancer card game too.

People grew up loving simulation PES & FIFA, they sold like crazy, fans adored them and no one ever said "hey, these games need to be less realistic and less challenging!"

That's just some bullshit marketing psychology to manipulate people who aren't very good at games or people who aren't serious football fans to try the game, get addicted because they feel like their participating and are scoring goals when they game is making it easy for them and spend more money and BECOME fans (aka, customers).

All they have to do is create a simulation mode for career players and the rest can fuck off. I have never played FUT or Volta or The story of the young dude who goes on to be the worlds biggest crack head! Just give us a break and put something together for CM.
Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Just watched a CM guy explain how his fave new feature are playable highlights, because it makes career mode "so much shorter & fun". Of course that's all he showed in his big reveal!

EA really does a terrific job cherry picking the best clowns for their "creator network"!

As someone with not a lot of time to play due to family and work responsibilities I too look forward to this feature....

Its a game. people enjoy playing however they want. options are good.

Last edited:
Do you sincerely think they will redo entirely the game just for one mode about the "crowd" they care less?
I don't think about it one second. There's too much thing to change to be "simulation" or even "Action-Football" and i may add "Att/Mid/Def Balanced" means both got their playtime.

Action football > what was Fifa in his golden era, and coming from PES. Seabass in an ITW refused to say "simulation"/about his game but give him that term. David Rutter (Fifa Mastermind from PS3 era) said almost the same thing : we don't want to create a simulation. It's not doable due to time restriction etc.

Means "sim" is kinda overused but it doesn't makes senese > we will base on everything regarding what football is and his variety and make it like if it was an "action/sports" game situations.

... But it's by far smaller and easier to say sim. Even if it's not a sim, i said it too. Just that there's no such thing as a football game (not managerial) simulation.

Last edited:
In real speed it's absurd, vomiting like on a car going too fast just by watching.
Even if the intention of that "feature" is good. Slowdown you see all sliding teleportations... It's too much.

And they're proud of it.
Canada is a gigant country with very few people, but they're really lost.
It's based on we can see (not like that) those dribble in football so they at least watch games or "best of".
Best. Of. Not 15 times every fucking game.

Sorry it's off topic from the video, but right there on 36 seconds is the problem where the attackers are dictating the defensive line with their runs. The defenders need to hold their position - it doesn't need to create a gap just because the striker wants to run!!
Exactly. And it is very clear that it is done on purpose so if the user decides to pass a through ball, his attacker will be onside because the opponent defender just follows and covers him like an idiot who don't know what an offside rule is. So..more opportunities..more goals..more ''fun''..So fucking stupid. And the thing is that the vast majority of players don't even notice these things and don't care..As long as they can dribble like a weightless ballerina and score plenty of goals it's all good.

I know that the developers do this so the 10-12 minute match can have enough goals and ''excitement'' but this just looks so wrong. I mean..ok let the defender cover him sometimes so he won't be always offside..but don't fucking sprint back 15 meters like Usain Bolt trying to outrun him in a 100 meter race. So cheap and lame..

Back
Top Bottom