FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Best thing so far other than the hyper-motion led more natural animations..............is something I only noticed tonight for the first time.

2 goals scored, and each had Stewart Robson doing the "pause as the scorer is about to strike it" replay thing, where the camera angle changes in a circle around the scorer, before unpausing and showing the goal being scored. Something we get on Match of the Day in England and I think also on SKY/BT Sports coverage.

Very convincingly done!!!

Was this in FIFA 21? Didn't notice it.

Game speed seems to make a big difference, which I didn't feel in the beta, nor last year.

Normal speed plus Competitor Mode is horrible (skills everywhere). Whack it on slow speed, and they only happen half as often, in my experience.

That being said, I have switched Competitor Mode back off, because I've just played Getafe and they were definitely spamming the skills (and yet Chelsea categorically weren't, in the intro match).

Happily though, even with it off, they were pressing me high and really getting in my face, forcing me back into my own half - which matches their assigned tactics - so that was a bit of variety I was glad to see.

Is it just me, or is there no rain coming down when playing but it shows in cut scenes that it's raining?

That's realistic and a nice touch. Cameras tend to hide the rain during real life broadcasts (I imagine due to focal length, but I'm no expert), so rain is usually only visible when they show a different angle. It always irked me when football games would show torrential downpour from the broadcast perspective.

I see Chris Davies mentioning competitive mode. Does it actually make defenders defend and not stand around? Or do they just spam skill moves? Lastly I hope people are starting to realize that most issues you may have in the game is due to the engine. Without getting too technical it‘s VERY difficult to change so expect the same complaints till they move to a new engine. FIFA 23, 24, 25 etc will feel somewhat the same after some time playing.

I see Chris Davies mentioning competitive mode. Does it actually make defenders defend and not stand around? Or do they just spam skill moves? Lastly I hope people are starting to realize that most issues you may have in the game is due to the engine. Without getting too technical it‘s VERY difficult to change so expect the same complaints till they move to a new engine. FIFA 23, 24, 25 etc will feel somewhat the same after some time playing.
Fifa 17 was frostbite and it had solid positioning/marking and AI. The issues started with the introduction of 1v1 in fifa 20.

That's realistic and a nice touch. Cameras tend to hide the rain during real life broadcasts (I imagine due to focal length, but I'm no expert), so rain is usually only visible when they show a different angle. It always irked me when football games would show torrential downpour from the broadcast perspective.

Ok mr. Realistic. It's just a game, it's supposed to be fun!

(I know you're right and that it's more realistic if you can't see it. But I actually liked it & miss it, haha. This is a realism hit I would take. Maybe they could rebalance realism and give us AI defending on one hand and make rain more fun again!).

Fifa 17 was frostbite and it had solid positioning/marking and AI. The issues started with the introduction of 1v1 in fifa 20.
Maybe I should have been more clear but I wasn’t referencing the defensive side although it was in FIFA 17 but masked well. I said most issues as in some of the fundamental things like, skating, the arcade feeling you get (watch any video using decent FIFA players), AI issues which leads to playing FIFA to score rather than playing the game to score if you know what I mean etc. This engine seems to be catered towards a more user skill (Esports) rather than sim. I don’t fault EA, we just have to accept this is what it is.

Maybe I should have been more clear but I wasn’t referencing the defensive side although it was in FIFA 17 but masked well. I said most issues as in some of the fundamental things like, skating, the arcade feeling you get (watch any video using decent FIFA players), AI issues which leads to playing FIFA to score rather than playing the game to score if you know what I mean etc. This engine seems to be catered towards a more user skill (Esports) rather than sim. I don’t fault EA, we just have to accept this is what it is.
I agree pal.

Everything I dislike about Fifa is still there. Give it a month and it will be the main consensus . No fouls, sharp janky player movements.

I tuned with Mahrez and it was like a Michel Jackson dance Medley in the space of 2 seconds. Defenders don’t track and are too concerned about being in the right position of the structural formation rather than where the ball is and what the immediate danger is.

I’ve had them just run off many times. You have to be watching the other players and not just who your controlling to see it .

Scoring still feels empty. Completely no fouls. That’s the last I’ll say on it though because people are enjoying it. Don’t like to shit on the parade.

Ball is ten times better though and the nets and I think it is an improvement on 21, the new paint doesn’t cover all the cracks for me though.

It's really not something inherent to the engine. Fifa / EA cater to e-sports and the mentality of the average FUT player, not the engine, that's just a tool. Realistic / full animation cycles and responsiveness are really not good friends with each other and the developers of this particular game choose responsiveness more often than not.

I understand the thinking that's it's an issue for many years / they're not fixing it / and they've been on engine X for years, so there must be a connection. But they've also always favoured responsiveness.

Last edited:
Game speed seems to make a big difference, which I didn't feel in the beta, nor last year.

Normal speed plus Competitor Mode is horrible (skills everywhere). Whack it on slow speed, and they only happen half as often, in my experience.

That being said, I have switched Competitor Mode back off, because I've just played Getafe and they were definitely spamming the skills (and yet Chelsea categorically weren't, in the intro match).

Happily though, even with it off, they were pressing me high and really getting in my face, forcing me back into my own half - which matches their assigned tactics - so that was a bit of variety I was glad to see.
Which difficulty do you play on? is "PLAYER BASED DIFFICULTY" on/off?

Been playing last night for a couple of hours (PS4), It's not as bad as I was expecting. I think the game looks fine on PS4 Pro and to me the slight better shaders and hair physics are more of a novelty on PS5, The face models are still characteresque on both versions so what's the appeal of the latter?

Anyway, The skating is still there but not as bad as 21, it's still jarring when players footwork skips frames and legs teleport through each other in order to complete a shot on command instead of adjusting the stepping like they do on 16.

The game reminds me a lot of FIFA 19, There's some cool animations in there an satisfying responsiveness. The way players control aerial balls and bring them into productive positions from off their chest or thigh is a cool little mechanic that prevents players from being immobilised like a bot waiting for a ball to settle.

However, once you notice the poor player positing, refusal to make runs or defenders defiantly ignoring attackers, you can't un-see it. Such a shame, You can have really great and fun moments then it's spoiled by conceding or failing to score something because of the poor player positioning and tracking.

Seeing quite a few weird animations. I had Kovacic score a diving head against City and when he was horizontal his legs bent for him to stand again in one motion.

Attachments

• 20210924_054017.mp4
    9.8 MB
Everything I dislike about Fifa is still there. Give it a month and it will be the main consensus . No fouls, sharp janky player movements.

I'm braced for this too. The flurry of positivity being mushed into the ground by old father time or a patch; I doubt it'll last long. It's possible we're so disillusioned that we're embracing mediocrity or less. I quite enjoyed my brief dalliance with FIFA 22 and look forward to playing more this weekend, but I sense that if I'm to be playing it in two months' time then I've a whole lotta settling to do.

eFutureupdate™ isn't likely to launch any ships, so bring on the doom and gloom, baby!

I have played yesterday old gen version. OMG you can't appreciate it after playing nextgen version. Massive aliasing, strange animations, and EA Gamecam isn't on board. AI isn't clever than the nextgen.

Brace yourselves, boys, here we go!

oh come on, Chris!! ;)

i need sliders! had a couple of more matches last night and even on slow (professional) its a bit to hectic and lethal. again, lower league teams were more fun to play for me. i want more error in passing, not as direct finishes and a bit less speed in everything. cant wait for the first slider set... i'll save 1-2 hours of the trail for that. :)

Get replying to these idiots, we don't want EA thinking they are all correct. If they want fast then they should set game speed to fast (if that's even an option, I know there's normal and slow, why the hell would you want fast!)

oh come on, Chris!! ;)

i need sliders! had a couple of more matches last night and even on slow (professional) its a bit to hectic and lethal. again, lower league teams were more fun to play for me. i want more error in passing, not as direct finishes and a bit less speed in everything. cant wait for the first slider set... i'll save 1-2 hours of the trail for that. :)
I discovered Krebstar’s sliders for FIFA 19 and apply variations of them to all Fifa now for FUMA.

The main points for slowing it down are these:
PASSING: Human 40/13 CPU (believe it or not, on manual passing this looks like the same speed in-game)
FIRST TOUCH ERROR: 95/95
SPRINT: 35/35
POWER BAR: 60

The blue ticks are in already:

(Sorry if this has been posted already, there's a lot to miss in the thread!)
What a eloquently, intelligenty presented insight into the post modern observation of the differential stasis between the art & the subject matter of whom it is based

AS IF IT WAS NOT OBVIOUS TO US WE ARE PLAYING A GAME

Back
Top Bottom