FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Couple more games on my lunch, got a penalty vs young boys, fernandes with a standard left stick dribble and touch round the defender. Defender lunged in to try stop me as I'd have been 1v1 and he took me out. That's 2 pens in about 7 or 8 matches and I don't dribble much, and never do tricks.

Definitely seeing more aggression than before, can't be just coincidence

clearly in the games industry with a comment like that... :D

i've been testing for 15 years, you could probably use that about most companies to be fair!
All their QA testers were forced to sign legal waivers regarding break times and working hours. They also employed you for 11-and-a-half months, fired you, then brought you back again, to keep employees from being able to claim various benefits.

The other testers made it fun.

I never thought I'd say this, but maybe Competitor Mode really is the way to go.

Nowhere near enough testing has gone into this yet, but compare this to the previous video and you can see the difference.

(I also immediately regretted the midfield comment - it's not like you have to think about EVERY pass on Competitor Mode. But it's better.)

This is really interesting, I have to admit it's something I have never even wanted to touch, but could be the way to go?

Just need a few more fouls
This is an area where PES 2021 actually succeeds in, sort of..

There are a lot more fouls per game than ever on the Fox engine but that's only because the collision detection is volatile too, so can't have it all.

I felt with the FIFA games, its because ball carriers have way too much time & space before a defender would become "activated" and by the time they warm up & engage, the danger has moved past them.

When you play on higher difficultys & the AI rubber bands you like a homing missile, The refs are the world's most lenient & don't care how the AI absorb your body, spit it out & just digest the ball alone.

i though competitor mode is for exhibition only?
Nope, the clip I posted earlier was on Career Mode. But it is only available on Legendary and Ultimate (unplayable difficulty).

EDIT: You might be thinking of FIFA Attribute Style, or whatever they call it.

In exhibition games you can change FIFA attribute style from "default" (which boosts all relevant attributes, like you've got 100 chemistry on Ultimate Team), or "classic" (which turns all that shit off).

Now, I didn't think this could be turned off for Career Mode, but looking at the wording of the gameplay deep dive from July, it looks like it actually doesn't impact Career Mode:

Ce42ENN.png

But, your players get +5 boosts for managing to put their boots on the right feet for training, and +5 boosts every time you don't slag them off in a press conference.

That's my (other) long-term worry - Career Mode will be unplayable after a few games, because of all the boosts.

Yeah I’m sold - this is the best FIFA since FIFA 16. I’ll be getting it digital, wonder if CD Keys will have it cheaper?

edit: oh and there are fouls in career mode, just not enough of them. CPU just had player sent off for lunging at me in penalty area. I scored the penalty too!

There are so many little cool touches in this. The way that sometimes a player loses his footing and slips on the slick turf, shots that balloon over because my player isn’t set right for the shot…

The game is so far ahead of its competitor now it’s actually quite embarrassing.
What
Im about 10 games in now, really enjoying it - AI scoring some really varied goals and good teams (on paper) are good. Example i know man utd are shite in real life but on paper they should be class and they are on fifa - pogba is unstopabable when he runs forward. I had the AI in one game shoot from the wing about 45 yards out because my keeper was off his line. I thought 10 hours would be easy enough but i think i will run out on Sunday. I pre ordered for £43 on PS5 , well worth that. Just need a few more fouls
So I'm a Pes player since 1998. What settings do you recommend for decent gameplay, time length /difficultly etc

The game speed between matches can be inconsistent some times. You can play a match and it can feel like the speed has doubled without changing any settings or sliders. It's a very weird thing that's apparently still not fixed. Some people notice it, some don't (I noticed it a lot in 18). It's normally called "inconsistent gameplay". Some claim it happens in night hours, so he's calling it "night bug".

Thankfully I don't like any fifa past 17 enough, so I don't have to deal with it, on top of everything else, because I certainly notice it when it happens. 😅
Yes very clear sum up👍

Interesting comments but I will wait until the smoke clears for this. FIFA impression by offline players have been slightly positive around the month of release for the past several installments until the game gets patched to meet the demands of FUT players.

Yeah I’m sold - this is the best FIFA since FIFA 16. I’ll be getting it digital, wonder if CD Keys will have it cheaper?

edit: oh and there are fouls in career mode, just not enough of them. CPU just had player sent off for lunging at me in penalty area. I scored the penalty too!

There are so many little cool touches in this. The way that sometimes a player loses his footing and slips on the slick turf, shots that balloon over because my player isn’t set right for the shot…

The game is so far ahead of its competitor now it’s actually quite embarrassing.
OMG. Your account has been hacked😳
When I said that last week, toi said it's impossible. The feeling of the game this year on nextgen is incredible! I'm very proud ans happy that i'm not the only one to enjoy this vert good game for now!

Interesting comments but I will wait until the smoke clears for this. FIFA impression by offline players have been slightly positive around the month of release for the past several installments until the game gets patched to meet the demands of FUT players.
This is absolutely the sensible thing to do. It will be another 10+ matches (at least) before I'll be confident enough that I can play the game long-term.

That being said, this was my FIFA 21 early access review:

Got to say, overall, I'm really sad. It's a better game but there are still so many core issues I can't get past.

It's very challenging, at least - so I'll give Career Mode a go. But defending is so broken it's silly. It just doesn't feel like football to me - laser-accurate, bullet-fast passing etc... You can't near an opponent (nor can the AI) because of how useless defenders are... And there are zero fouls.

The better bits (the difficulty, the AI's patterns of play, the Career Mode changes) just NOWHERE NEAR balance out the worst bits (the 1v1 defending and the magnetic players and animations). IMO.

I'm just hoping they've been keeping next-gen FIFA secret for so long because the gameplay is better (and they can't tell us because they need to sell current-gen copies first) - and not because they're having major issues porting this gameplay, because I don't want it.

So sad.

Tried Matt's beta sliders. This was the first game.

rRC0Nxw.png

Ridiculous.

Defending is so fundamentally broken that you put yourself at a HUGE disadvantage by putting yourself on a defensive strategy, or even switching to a formation with more defenders.

Attackers have such a huge advantage that you're better off attacking to hold your lead, keeping hold of the ball by just running around in circles with it (see video below).

This is what defending looks like in FIFA 21. Just running back and forth, back and forth, never getting near. How STUPID does this look?

...and finally:

I hate it.

I'm the guy who has had fun with the last 5-6 FIFAs and is accused of being FIFA-biased all the time... But this, I can't lie. I hate it.

This is absolutely the sensible thing to do. It will be another 10+ matches (at least) before I'll be confident enough that I can play the game long-term.

That being said, this was my FIFA 21 early access review:

...and finally:

Yes definitely remember your impressions last year but to fair I have taken this "Wait & See"approach with ALL sports games and started this a couple years ago, I have been burned too many times buying sports games during the release window. Also by Nov/Dec these games are also heavily discounted.

Is that not a huge contradiction? It's nothing like FIFA but it's still FIFA of course... :LOL:

It's not a million miles from FIFA 21, let's be honest. But it's better in ways I wasn't expecting.
It’s not a contradiction because I said it “wasn’t like recent FIFA games” because to me, it isn’t.

But it’s still FIFA. Meaning, if you wanted PES, or something which isn’t anything like FIFA games in general, then you’ll not find that with FIFA 22.

Interesting...

I mentioned before that my game settings were set to "slow" speed before I'd even touched them.

Not just me:

The game speed between matches can be inconsistent some times. You can play a match and it can feel like the speed has doubled without changing any settings or sliders. It's a very weird thing that's apparently still not fixed. Some people notice it, some don't (I noticed it a lot in 18). It's normally called "inconsistent gameplay". Some claim it happens in night hours, so he's calling it "night bug".

Thankfully I don't like any fifa past 17 enough, so I don't have to deal with it, on top of everything else, because I certainly notice it when it happens. 😅
It actually happened sometimes on PES aswell, I remember someone mentioned it here long ago I felt it too sometimes, playing the game especially in the evening, like it accelerates from nowhere haha

Serie A sucks again. Too many fake teams for my liking and no Serie B. I wish EA just had licensing to everything now that eFootball will just be a digital Fruit Machine.

Looks like I’ll be playing a Middlesbrough or Reading save again.

I think the key to this will be how you approach it. Playing with top tier teams and a must win mentality it can still feel quite FIFA-like but if you want to try playing some football you can and with slightly lesser teams, where the skill level of players is more varied, you can have some interesting games. It seems that with those teams the physicality is a little more apparent too as people aren't just slipping by super fast. THere's a big guy at Sheffield Wednesday who was dominant in the middle.

I've been playing a Libertadores with Santos and had a great game against Boca. It was great because it was largely shit - not much happened until the teams started to tire in the last 30 mins and it ended up a 1-1 draw. Some nice moments in the first half gave way to a pretty scrappy affair. That's nice to see as one of the biggest problems with FIFA is everything being too perfect all the time. Millimetre precision passes and bullet shots rifled in. Didn't happen here.

I was playing on World Class. I can win on Legendary but it requires me to play 'FIFA' rather than football. I have my controls set up with everything that can be on semi manual - so just lobs on assisted - and I have the setting on so all those auto kick assists and things are off. This makes it just that little bit more challenging to make world class give me a game but I don't know how long that will last as I get used to it. The AI is better at this level than it was last year though, they don't make so many deliberate mistakes and it's not so obvious when they do.

I have played FIFA in full manual years ago but I just don't think the game is designed for it. It seems to break the player behaviour too much. It works nicely in PES when you get used to it but not in FIFA. Semi is quite a nice compromise when you get too good with the default settings on world class but don't like the super human moments the AI cooks up on higher difficulties.

I've had various friends say this to me for years on both PES and FIFA and we eventually realised that it's the effect of just finishing one game where your players have all been knackered for the last third and starting another where they're all fresh again. Of course, if you pick different teams that can add to it too.

Interesting...

I mentioned before that my game settings were set to "slow" speed before I'd even touched them.

Not just me:

Maybe it happened because the game loaded the configs you used in FIFA 21, no?

I

I think that this clearly happens when you play with both teams of Premier League, and I see this for a long time now, since other FIFA's.

Back
Top Bottom