FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

I played one quick match last night before bedtime so I can't form a real opinion yet. But I didn't turn off the game in disgust, and that's more than i can say about the last two iterations, especially 21.

In the match I noticed a grey arrow above some ai player's head and I really couldn't figure out what that was. I guess it has something to do with a new option in the controller settings called "Icon cursor" or something like that which you can activate by pressing R3. Does anyone know what that is. Havn't found anything in a quick google research yet.

Edit: Found it on the Fifa homepage. Just another feature I will never use.

In 2 matches I had one foul in each, one of them was a penalty to earn me a hard earned 1-0 victory vs watford with man utd. World class seems a step up from 21.
Seen some crossing but there's still occasions where it turns all fifa and they revert to their odd logic of making several passes inside the box. Definitely improved though. Weight and inertia seems heavier too, perhaps not enough for some but it's a definite improvement

Guys, how's the positioning/tracking on Next Gen? Is it improved vs 21 or current gen 22 if anyone has played both? I'm playing the PC version and there's a marginal improvement - but it's still game breaking and awful in this regard.

Not sure what you mean mate? Do you mean how the CPU presses and defends with their midfield?

This does play a very good game of football, takes a while to get used to but I’m really enjoying it so far. Serious lack of fouls though, really pisses me off that EA and Konami don’t think we’ve got fouls in football anymore!

Yes, that's what I meant. It does seem to be better in.videos...

I have two big issues with the game at the moment, except for the obvious of defending being completely w**k.

1. Finesse shot - Any shot from outside the box to the left or right of the D will fly into the top corner with anyone with 80+ shooting.
2. Goalkeepers - They go from being super human, to then having weird animations and letting in shots a pub keeper would save - They also need to fix that they parry everything, even if a shot is just a little to their right or left they dive and push it out into play or for a corner, it has become very annoying.

My impressions of it at the moment after a few games, it is an improvement over FIFA 21, but this isn't difficult considering FIFA 21 was the worst of the series.
The ball just plays a lot more natural than it did in 21 and the constant through balling and quick counter attacks have been fixed and the shitty cut inside goal has been removed.

The improvements that are needed:-
Defending needs improving, they have completely destroyed block tackles and sliding tackles, with them being completely ineffective and give away too many fouls.
Animations need to be looked at and resolved, people have always said about the skating in FIFA, but TBH I never really saw it - Until now, FIFA 22 is very bad with the player skating and it is something that just looks plain wrong.
Make the CPU play with more variety, especially on Legendary - This is something that makes offline play awful, the CPU knows how to score with every attack, so therefore will do the same attack everytime, so as soon as you know how to stop this the CPU simply doesn't score, but in the first 2/3 matches you will concede a lot of goals.

That is stuff EA should be able to resolve, but as for positioning issues and un-interested players, I know this is something I just have to live with.

Last edited:
Guys, how's the positioning/tracking on Next Gen? Is it improved vs 21 or current gen 22 if anyone has played both? I'm playing the PC version and there's a marginal improvement - but it's still game breaking and awful in this regard.

7 for me, personally. It's way less ping-pong and the ball feels like it has a bit more weight to it.
Yesh I agree with this , I haven't felt the need to mess with sliders to get cover or prevent attacking runners

Benfica Vs Sporting Lisbonne – Speed passes 35 et Shoot speed 45

FC Porto Vs Benfica - Legend - Vanilla

Lyon Vs St Etienne – Legend - Sliders

Boca Vs River Plate – Legend - Sliders

Dortmund Vs Rb Leipzig - World Class - Sliders

Aston Villa Vs Everton – Legend - Sliders

Inter Milan – Milan AC - World Class - Sliders

nice AI goal at min 12 in the first video! i like the scramble before and how the AI chest it down before having a blast at goal!

when i played last night, i had a keeper bringing my striker down. a penal was awarded, no card given! :SHOCK:
i did not have many fouls and when i did, the ref was very shy giving cards!

Anyone use LG smart TV for XSS/X?
I want to make perfect settings for this game. Maybe you are right about HDR. Colors are bad but i like contrast etc.

And about graphics i really love it. It's best football graphics ever for me. Lighting is fantastic. Maybe grass and pitch need to be better with more options also. Not only one squared large, but different types of it cause we can see in real life different structure not only color

Looks fantastic

Last edited:
And about graphics i really love it. It's best football graphics ever for me. Lighting is fantastic. Maybe grass and pitch need to be better with more options also. Not only one squared large, but different types of it cause we can see in real life different structure not only color

Looks fantastic

Not to be a Negative Nelly but they should be the best graphics ever. Are they as good as they could be? That's the question.

-----

Anyone see the mascot's faces during the team line-ups by the way?

Don't have nightmares.

I KNOW this isn't a big deal for many, but for me this "issue" is kind of an immersion breaker. When playing career mode in prevoius FIFA's there is almost never any empty seats when playing matches, it doesn't matter what league or division you are playing. When I play Serie A or a team in the lower divisions, I want the stadiums to be half full in most matches, because that the case IRL. It also makes the big matches feel more special if the stands are crowded in just those games.

I haven't played FIFA for the last couple of years, so don't know if this has been "fixed"?

Thanks. Just last things: could you suggest e some slider parameters to slow down match rhythm?
My footage was a bit speed because there is always the night bug who accelerates the game. But this year, the game is playable at night!
I will post my sliders tonight after some new matches :PINKS:
I want to see more faults!
We got long rang, marking, good AI, crosses but not enought faults.
With that, the game will be awesome!!

I KNOW this isn't a big deal for many, but for me this "issue" is kind of an immersion breaker. When playing career mode in prevoius FIFA's there is almost never any empty seats when playing matches, it doesn't matter what league or division you are playing. When I play Serie A or a team in the lower divisions, I want the stadiums to be half full in most matches, because that the case IRL. It also makes the big matches feel more special if the stands are crowded in just those games.

I haven't played FIFA for the last couple of years, so don't know if this has been "fixed"?

It's always a case of "if only" with FIFA, but man oh man. If we could turn off 1v1 and add fouls, it'd be sensational.

As it is - the 1v1 defending presents a real problem, and it's not a problem that can be fixed with sliders.

When you say sensational, is it really that good, apart from 1 v 1?

I've learned to live with 1 v1 in my own defence but how easy are you finding it to break the opposition backlike because of 1 v 1? Is there still some difficulty, or is it just a cake walk?

Just had a horrible realisation.

Think I'm going to be sick.

The first game I had last night - the one with these stats:

D3FcCpS.jpg

The one that felt really good - low shot count, difficult to bypass the midfield, bit more marking...

I was playing the "intro match", the one that only happens when you first boot the game.

Difficulty was set to Legendary, everything else was default. Which means...

...Competitor Mode was enabled.

🤢🤮

Now, the FIFA 22 Pitch Notes did say that Competitor Mode includes some AI defensive boosts:

"For players who like a challenge, we re-wrote defending Competitor Mode CPU AI, with something we call Threat-Based Defending, with the CPU better understanding who the players they should mark are, which off-ball runs they should chase, and which dribblers they should close down. With Threat-Based Defending, Competitor Mode is more challenging than before."

(SOURCE: Right here, babeh)

Now I've not experimented with this yet, but my fear is (and I voiced this at the time on Twitter to the devs)...

...Competitor Mode might contain a lot of the AI defending we crave, and also make every team play like Barcelona (though in my intro game, I have to say, Chelsea weren't chaining skill moves together or anything). What if we can't have one without the other...

It's always a case of "if only" with FIFA, but man oh man. If we could turn off 1v1 and add fouls, it'd be sensational.

As it is - the 1v1 defending presents a real problem, and it's not a problem that can be fixed with sliders.

great effort pointing that out in a way everyone understands! thx! :TU:

D3FcCpS.jpg

The one that felt really good - low shot count, difficult to bypass the midfield, bit more marking...

I was playing the "intro match", the one that only happens when you first boot the game.

🤢🤮

Now, the FIFA 22 Pitch Notes did say that Competitor Mode includes some AI defensive boosts:

"For players who like a challenge, we re-wrote defending Competitor Mode CPU AI, with something we call Threat-Based Defending, with the CPU better understanding who the players they should mark are, which off-ball runs they should chase, and which dribblers they should close down. With Threat-Based Defending, Competitor Mode is more challenging than before."

Now I've not experimented with this yet, but my fear is (and I voiced this at the time on Twitter to the devs)...

...Competitor Mode might contain a lot of the AI defending we crave, and also make every team play like Barcelona (though in my intro game, I have to say, Chelsea weren't chaining skill moves together or anything). What if we can't have one without the other...
so what to make of this!?
edit: just read your edit. got it.

D3FcCpS.jpg

🤢🤮

And you didn't notice any AI faffery with the ball at their feet? If Competitor Mode is now friend, not foe, so be it!

Back
Top Bottom