FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant guys, but I'm just gonna say this because I'm genuinely tired and hate that players like me don't get a true alternative. I don't bloody care if you think: "it's a game, it's supposed to be fun!", or "it's too slow, too hard, too realistic/boring, etc., etc.." I've just about had enough of this crap.

Every year, players like me are desperate for a true football simulator that respects the beautiful game, without A SINGLE concession made towards the arcade crowd. And please don't get me wrong, casual players should have a product out there that they can enjoy like FIFA, but it's been too damn long, it's almost 2022 for christ's sake and we still don't have a real SIM alternative.

C'mon, Racing games have the entire spectrum covered, Arcade, Sim-Cade, Sim-Cade with RPG mechanics, Car Mechanic Simulators, Delivery Truck Simulators, Racing Simulators, City Driving Simulators, you name it... Why can't we just get A SINGLE true simulation-style football game??

Sigh... Let me take a breather. I think this frustration/passion/hatred might just one day make me invest everything into making a football game that sim players truly deserve, I don't bloody care if I go to my grave with empty pockets but I really, really, want to see this come true before I die.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been up, but a lot of work lately and not able to follow this thread..

So while I'm not sure of buying a PS5 (depends a lot on footies).. What do you guys, who have tried both ps4 and ps5 version. Is the ps4 version a version worth buying?
No if you have a nextgen, buy the nextgen version : more fluid, more organic, have a better presentation, better AI,etc...

The blue ticks are in already:

(Sorry if this has been posted already, there's a lot to miss in the thread!)

There's a massive disconnect when these FUT players claim supposed "realism" makes a game more casual. In what dimension is that the perceived case? I've been gaming before a lot of these football philistines were a twinkle in their daddy's nut sack and as such, I've followed the gaming scene for decades. There isn't a single genre of game that I can think of where realism is synonymous with "casual-friendly." Simulation or realism (which let's be honest, FIFA is still a far cry from that) has always been a deterrent to the masses, the casual player. This is why simulators in general have and probably always will be a very niche market.

Is iRacing less hardcore than Need for Speed because it strives for realism and it's not as high-octane and fast paced? No one in their right mind would go up to bat for that argument because it's asinine. iRacing requires skills and knowledge that are more inline with actual car racing (which your average person will not be well versed in), so ipso facto, it's infinitely more hardcore than a pick up and play racer rooted in the fantastical. I suppose between Ace Combat and say, DCS: A-10C Warthog, the former is more "hardcore" because it's arcade oriented? Is ARMA 3 an easier shooter to play than Call of Duty? Again, this is an idiotic argument.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant guys, but I'm just gonna say this because I'm genuinely tired and hate that players like me don't get a true alternative. I don't bloody care if you think: "it's a game, it's supposed to be fun!", or "it's too slow, too hard, too realistic/boring, etc., etc.." I've just about had enough of this crap.

Every year, players like me are desperate for a true football simulator that respects the beautiful game, without A SINGLE concession made towards the arcade crowd. And please don't get me wrong, casual players should have a product out there that they can enjoy like FIFA, but it's been too damn long, it's almost 2022 for christ's sake and we still don't have a real SIM alternative.

C'mon, Racing games have the entire spectrum covered, Arcade, Sim-Cade, Sim-Cade with RPG mechanics, Car Mechanic Simulators, Delivery Truck Simulators, Racing Simulators, City Driving Simulators, you name it... Why can't we just get A SINGLE true simulation-style football game??

Sigh... Let me take a breather. I think this frustration/passion/hatred might just one day make me invest everything into making a football game that sim players truly deserve, I don't bloody care if I go to my grave with empty pockets but I really, really, want to see this come true before I die.
The reason a true football simulator doesnt exist is because very few would buy it on top of that it's probably infinite ly more difficult than simulating golf

auto shots and auto clearence?! :SHOCK:
did you leave the aids like passing, shooting and the rest on assisted?

I have at the moment, but will remove the majority of the assists soon when I get used to the game.
I just can't believe how many assists are on the game and they are all on as default and FUT players play with all those settings.

I think when I get into it properly I will have everything on Semi like I normally do and will probably switch to World Class skill level as Legendary is just no fun.

I have at the moment, but will remove the majority of the assists soon when I get used to the game.
I just can't believe how many assists are on the game and they are all on as default and FUT players play with all those settings.

I think when I get into it properly I will have everything on Semi like I normally do and will probably switch to World Class skill level as Legendary is just no fun.
:D thats exactly what i thought when i went through the menus. gosh... even more than before!

I share your outlook and frustration. The closest youll get to your ideal is in the PC modding community. It's there that the football sim comes the closest. If you have the hardware and the time of course. FIFA surprisingly has a good modding community on PC. PES of course has the most support.

To be fair EA don't have an easy job in satisfying everyone.
There are the players who want a slow approach - too slow is not realistic have a look at liverpools counter attack speed as an example its fast
There the other end who want button smashing video game approach end to end with skill after skill - obviously not realistic
And then there's people in the middle - semi realistic but with some gaming elements to make it fun

Currently i think its in the semi realistic stage - it plays nice , not too slow and certainly not super fast on normal (feels slower than PES to me on 0 speed setting)

AI fouls need sorting but i think thats a design choice so probably wont be sorted

I would be quite happy with a few tweaks and hope its not sped up dramatically
It is all in their hands: Just transform game speed settings into a slider for offline gaming and set the basic online speed to warp 10. Should solve all problems with the customer.

Should solve all problems with the customer.
It won't. It goes much deeper than the game speed.
Its player positioning, AI defending, goalkeepers, pass and shoot accuracy, fouls...
FUT players dont want AI. They want AM.
Whats AM? Wait for it...
"Artificial Morons"
brian-baumgartner-badumtss.gif
Anyway - in order to satisfy both crows - we need two game modes.
Arcade (online) and Simulation (Offline)

Fortunately - EA are starting to see this themselves, so there's hope for the future.

For me, what makes the game unplayable is the ball passing "through" the player.

I've seen a lot of goals that only were scored because of this issue.

The player shoots the ball even if his body is not "prepared" for the shooting move and it creates a lot of odd situations, unfortunately.

Well my first lower league game..
Issue for me after now playing 8/9 games, until they fix the incredibly shit keepers it just has zero fun.

A few things (CPU ).
Pretty much all shots tw the top corners ,and CPU ball handling still looks a joke ,no taking your time to adjust body position when passing ,and the ball physics when passing (speed/increase/decrease of speed) looks absolutely horrible.
And ,I'm not digging at you mate just at the CPU.
This is a hard pass for me

It won't. It goes much deeper than the game speed.
Its player positioning, AI defending, goalkeepers, pass and shoot accuracy, fouls...
FUT players dont want AI. They want AM.
Whats AM? Wait for it...
"Artificial Morons"
View attachment 122890
Anyway - in order to satisfy both crows - we need two game modes.
Arcade (online) and Simulation (Offline)

Fortunately - EA are starting to see this themselves, so there's hope for the future.
Well, together with the others sliders it should at least solve the perception of fast and slow, which was originally discussed in the post.

Sorry everyone who thought we had a winner with the phrase "A game should be a game". This tweet right here is just as good (if auto translate is to be trusted) because it implies that "Fifa is too much like football" ?

I'm kinda torn. Should a game be a game? And should a football game be too much like football? These are the important questions.

Personally I'd say it's still 50% football 50% ice skating though, but maybe that 50% of football is too much?

Last edited:
50% ice hockey though
Until the last 48 hours I had somehow never watched an actual online FIFA Ultimate Team streamer in action. I have watched several now.

I don't blame these guys at all for making a living from their hobby. I would do it too if I could. Good luck to them on that front. Escaping traditional wage slavery etc.

But there's a fascinating horror in watching the way they play the game. Oh my God when they get it to the edge of the box and start fast-switching it between their players to work an opening! Possibly the worst thing I have ever seen or experienced in connection with a football game. Everything that's good about FIFA 22 is destroyed in those moments. There’s a way they move the ball that is totally Ice Hockey-like, where they rotate the player 70 degrees one way and back the other – exactly like an ice hockey player switching the puck from one side of his stick's blade to the other when dribbling. Somehow the deadpan narration they give the viewer while they're indulging in this abomination adds to the horror, like a Tarantino character talking about hamburger ingredients whilst butchering somebody. Another chamber of horror opens up when you understand that these are the guys who define the agenda. If they really, really don't like something, any media producer is under pressure to adapt the product to them. FIFA 22 as it is, is on borrowed time. #saveFIFA22

Why can't we just get A SINGLE true simulation-style football game??

Because there's lot of buisiness & equity factors involved in making a new football game let alone a football simulator.

First of all, FIFA is about as strong as a household name as McDonald's. You could open a new fast food burger & fries restaurant with better tasting food, superior production, ethics you name it & call it Bob's Burgers.... People will still go to NcDonw, it's too established in culture. So from a buisiness & investment perspective, it wouldn't be commercially viable.

Then of course you have to take into account the licensing & recognisable subject matter. If people can't play as teams they recognise, there would be no authentic product selling point and thus, who would care.

Finally, football is such a volatile & complex sport to recreate virtually with 22 players on a pitch to accomplish with any credibility. If you can't guarantee profits on the first two points, then why even bother with all the hard work on the gameplay?

Because there's lot of buisiness & equity factors involved in making a new football game let alone a football simulator.

First of all, FIFA is about as strong as a household name as McDonald's. You could open a new fast food burger & fries restaurant with better tasting food, superior production, ethics you name it & call it Bob's Burgers.... People will still go to NcDonw, it's too established in culture. So from a buisiness & investment perspective, it wouldn't be commercially viable.

Then of course you have to take into account the licensing & recognisable subject matter. If people can't play as teams they recognise, there would be no authentic product selling point and thus, who would care.

Finally, football is such a volatile & complex sport to recreate virtually with 22 players on a pitch to accomplish with any credibility. If you can't guarantee profits on the first two points, then why even bother with all the hard work on the gameplay?
Sure, we all understand that, you aren't telling me anything new. But I think what I am trying to get at is, that at this point, I'd be happy just seeing these new indie studios have a proper go at it.

I'm talking about the new players like the guys making UFL, Football Player 2023, etc. I'm not exactly asking for a megalomaniac AAA project here, but instead something that takes itself seriously enough in regards to its gameplay approach.
Of course, none of this is an easy feat... same way making a racing simulator like rFactor, Automobilista or iRacing isn't, or a Skateboarding simulator like Session. But even with financial and technical limitations, there is still much that could be done without entirely revolutionizing our current concept of what a football game is.

About the licensing, that's not as complicated as you're making it sound, especially if it's an indie game on a smaller budget. Just make the damn game moddable, as countless others have done so in the past, including PES/WE.

Last edited:
Sure, we all understand that, you aren't telling me anything new. But I think what I am trying to get at is, that at this point, I'd be happy just seeing these new indie studios have a proper go at it.

I'm talking about the new players like the guys making UFL, Football Player 2023, etc. I'm not exactly asking for a megalomaniac AAA project here, but instead something that takes itself seriously enough in regards to its gameplay approach.
Of course, none of this is an easy feat... as making a racing simulator like rFactor, Automobilista or iRacing isn't, or a Skateboarding simulator like Session. But even with financial and technical limitations, there is still much that could be done without revolutionizing our entire concept of what a football game is.

About the licensing, that's not as complicated as you're making it sound, especially if it's an indie game with a smaller budget. Just make the damn game moddable, as countless others have done so in the past, including PES/WE.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm in the same queue as you waiting for soemthing refreshing to happen too, but I'm sure there are people out there who really do want to create what you're talking about; Indie developers to big budget studios would love to I'm sure, but I think my first 3 points echoe around their beurocratic heads.

We can hope these new football games will fulfil some of this promise but I expect at the very least they'll still be a compromise between something that looks and initially feels realistic but will ultimately be about fun and FUT familiarity first. Because they still ultimately have to think about how they're going to earn while sacrificing their time to make this.

And regarding your last point, Modding is all well and good for those of us that are savvy enough but again, the masses aren't and a lot of people really struggled to apply option files on the PS4 football games. The only alternative I can think of is of there was an in game editing suite that let you download other people's kit textures and auto applied them like the Community Creations in WWE games.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm in the same queue as you waiting for soemthing refreshing to happen too, but I'm sure there are people out there who really do want to create what you're talking about; Indie developers to big budget studios would love to I'm sure, but I think my first 3 points echoe around their beurocratic heads.

We can hope these new football games will fulfil some of this promise but I expect at the very least they'll still be a compromise between something that looks and initially feels realistic but will ultimately be about fun and FUT familiarity first. Because they still ultimately have to think about how they're going to earn while sacrificing their time to make this.

And regarding your last point, Modding is all well and good for those of us that are savvy enough but again, the masses aren't and a lot of people really struggled to apply option files on the PS4 football games. The only alternative I can think of is of there was an in game editing suite that let you download other people's kit textures and auto applied them like the Community Creations in WWE games.
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of us are just waiting for it to happen, and it's honestly great to hear that from so many others who, like me, love recreating the sport with our fingertips.

But following up on my previous point, I don't necessarily think that needs to happen in the same molds as we've been seeing so far... that is, AAA productions with massive budgets + licensing battles year after year.

Maybe the next step is NOT to appeal to the masses and instead focus on the (arguably) sizeable niche that is the hardcore football simulation crowd and adjust budgeting accordingly, and I repeat I am not suggesting this is by any means an easy task, but surely it's not impossible either. (Think Hell Let Loose/Post Scriptum/ARMA3 vs. the likes of COD or Battlefield)

Well my first lower league game..
Issue for me after now playing 8/9 games, until they fix the incredibly shit keepers it just has zero fun.

Shit keepers and AI attacking always in the same pattern. Maybe it’s a lower league problem because I don’t see many complaints here about it.

I cant believe I live in a world where people want to play: Truck simulator, Farming simulator, Taxi simulator ....
but want arcade EPL, Primera or Bundesliga football
:D

5eb921de46177c59112f30f2

Shit keepers and AI attacking always in the same pattern. Maybe it’s a lower league problem because I don’t see many complaints here about it.
Lower leagues/other leagues than the PL has always played better (less cheaty/OP) than others before ,so I'm not sure it's a lower league problem

I've been trying to put my finger on what feels so good about this game, against the CPU at least.

I'm playing as Liverpool in CM. In previous years, I could keep the majority of possession, even against crap sides, but there would always be a 10-15 minute period where the CPU would turn the game on it's head. Usually through a cheap goal at the goalie's near post, and it would pull you right out of the immersion and make you feel fucked over by factors out of your control.

This doesn't happen this year, you can boss a game from the first minute to the last if you stay on your game. And I'm yet to see my keeper concede a goal that a professional goalie shouldn't let in a month of Sundays.

Back
Top Bottom