FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

I'm liking FIFA 22 more and more.
Although I suck at defending (is it just me that's finding it extremely hard this year?). It's like, you take one little step in the wrong direction and the other team really will make you pay for it. And I'm not complaining, at all! I really like how the AI play so far, they seem a lot more resourceful. Seeing a lot more variety.

So far I'm terrible at this game. Can't dominate, can't score, can't win. Love it.
I had to lower the difficulty to Professional, and I say this with a heavy heart. I feel kind of ashamed.

I'm liking FIFA 22 more and more.
Although I suck at defending (is it just me that's finding it extremely hard this year?). It's like, you take one little step in the wrong direction and the other team really will make you pay for it. And I'm not complaining, at all! I really like how the AI play so far, they seem a lot more resourceful. Seeing a lot more variety.

So far I'm terrible at this game. Can't dominate, can't score, can't win. Love it.
I had to lower the difficulty to Professional, and I say this with a heavy heart. I feel kind of ashamed.
PS5 or PS4?

Shit keepers and AI attacking always in the same pattern. Maybe it’s a lower league problem because I don’t see many complaints here about it.

It isn't a lower league problem, the keepers are absolutely terrible in the game.
The animations are all wrong, they look completely un-natural and they don't save anything, unless it is a one on one.

:D

5eb921de46177c59112f30f2
We even have f*****g Goat Simulator, but not Football simulator.

I have no opinion on keepers since I'm not getting the trial/game, I've seen them make saves and I've seen them pick comically inappropriate animations, but if Tom retweets this himself (he's a fifa producer) then you might want to brace yourselves for nerfed keepers.

Capture3.JPG

Couple more games:-

Is that De Gea on the nets, starting the first video?
if so, I find that odd. When I play the current Bayern squad and Lahm is on the nets, that’s fine for me.

edit: i like how you try to play actual football! :APPLAUD:
edit2: with that speed, those sliders, we are doomed to be a rabbit chasing the AI. It’s a general thing and thats why I try to stick to slow speed on professional difficulty level.
In the end it’s all just masquerading the flaws. :II

Last edited:
Every time I visit Twitch, they recommend Casro's stream, and he has been streaming FIFA 22 for 3 days and about 40k - 60k people are watching him. For these 3 days he has not played a single match, only packs opening and he got non stop donations and subscriptions .... what is wrong with this world .

Last edited:
I cancelled my pre-order for FIFA 2022.

After 8 hours of the trial, I just couldn't continue turning a blind eye to the issues the game has and as many on here have stated, EA patches (like many Konami ones) tend to be one step forward and two steps back or in some cases, no steps forward and six steps back.

I've been playing on the Series X and here honestly is what I liked/didn't like (take into account I play on mostly manual with semi turned on for passing, through-balls and crosses):

PROS:
-------
- Beautiful presentation. Menus are slick and although the simplicity of yesteryear has gone, navigation is quick and the options and variation of modes to play is very good.
- Cut-scenes are incredible if you're into that type of thing. As an adult, it's a bit too sugary but I can imagine the pre-teens getting hyped by the intros and attempts to merge the game into a real-life tv presentation.
- The passing is 1,000% improved over the last 3-4 FIFAs. Although it can be over-accurate on almost every occasion, even on 'semi', you can at least feel you are in control of where you're aiming the ball. FIFA 2021 was often like Stevie Wonder reacting to crowd noises and kicking the ball to wherever gets the loudest cheer.
- Crowd sounds and cut-scenes are integrated very well. The option to quickly fade them out with 'A' is very smooth. Compare to PES 2020/21 where the crowd are all heavily Covid positive and can barely muster a loud sound unless you accidentally trip an opponent and then it's like the crowd at the end of Gladiator and they're after blood.
- Animations are awesome except when they randomly speed up to Bruce Lee speed to finish the animation before the mechanical function is performed with the ball. Although the keepers are schizo performance wise, their animations are the best I've ever seen.
- Player individuality. Star players (but unfortunately also not such star players) do show individual attributes albeit far too exaggerated. But you can see different styles of play from the players. Not so much for the teams as a whole though. Cambridge Utd play like Man City.
- The ball feels like a ball again and not a balloon. The players do/don't have weight to them in physical contact (it depends if the AI is in a scripting moment and then nothing will knock them off the ball, you're a ghost.)
- Tactical options are as deep as you can get without playing Football Manager. What outcome they have realistically is for debate but at least you feel in control of your team and can make the exact changes you want easily and implement them in the game.

CONS:
-------
- ALL FIFA goalkeepers have dissed the Japanese mafia and had their fingers removed because they couldn't catch a turd. Almost every shot aimed at the keeper is parried out for a corner or spilled into a dangerous position. I played as Man Utd against Liverpool, Preston North End and Cambridge Utd to see the differences in keeper reactions and they pretty much all go from Clark Kent to Superman to Scooby Doo randomly thoughout the game.
- Turning on the skill attributes for special players (with FIFA, everybody gets a participation trophy) pretty much turns anybody who costs more than 20M in real life into 2016 Ronaldo/Messi. Watching players who you know in real life would break a hip trying a stepover tear your defense to shreds regardless of whether you use tactical/legacy defending is ridiculous.
- Speed issues. FIFA on slow, or even normal, for the most part is a realistic speed but for some reason, the game during some matches goes through periods where it will speed up to superhuman speeds like you've suddenly hit the nitrous on everybody and the animations become ridiculously lightning fast as players perform moves that would get them kicked out of Matrix 4 for being too far-fetched.
- Too much movement from players that in a real game would economically adjust their position reading the build-up, not make constant sprints when the ball is 70 yards away. Look at the radar in-game even when the play is pretty calm and it looks like somebody stamped on an ants nest. (The new eFootball also appears to be like this from some videos.)
- Defending. This has always been my strong point in footy games and although online when I play vastly superior players, I find it hard to break them down to score, I defend very well mostly. In FIFA 22, you just know when the CPU wants to score because all the positioning and timing in the world isn't going to stop Cambridge Utd (even on pro level) score that equalizing goal in the 97th minute to make it 5-5. When the AI decides to not script things, defending is logical and realistic but IRL League 2 teams don't regularly play 20-pass combinations very often. In FIFA 22, it's like basketball where 95% of the game is teams taking it in turns to shoot with the occasional turn-over or missed shot.
- Shooting on full manual on FIFA 22 is like assisted in PES2020/21. You can barely miss the target from almost any angle if you concentrate even a little. I stopped having any passion for scoring because every game contained half a dozen 'goal of the season' contenders.
- Crossing from the CPU is not frequent whoever you play. They'll knock in a few crosses depending on how you force them wide but you'll see more corners in a game from the crap keepers than you will crosses.
- Fouls. Unlike some people, I did see fouls from the AI, prob 2-3 a game and the occasional card but again, you'll see as many handballs as fouls. I could live with that a little but even when you play carelessly and play Sunday League enforcement style, you rarely get a foul called on you unless you almost literally go for the jugular.
- Graphical glitches appearing randomly over the top half of players at some points during games. That might be down to my older tv not being set up correctly.
- Snow. We went from a very realistic sim of snow to now no stadiums can afford under-soil heating and we're back to the mid 70's where somebody has cleared the lines with a broom. I'd understand if there was heavy snowfall but there isn't, you can barely see it except in cut-scenes. The same with rain. PES 2020/21 is vastly superior in weather simulation and dynamic weather.
- Camera not keeping up the play on Dynamic camera. If you take quick shots from the edge of the area if you've stolen possession, you likely won't see the result of your shot as the camera swing/shift is too slow, even with zero zoom and maximum field view. It might be better on other cameras but this is the one I've always used.
- Goalkicks overpowered or like a 3-year old girl kicked the ball. They are like the average shower. Freezing water or boiling water. You are left with little time to decide how to react with your target/closest player and just guessing seems the best option.
- Defensive shape is atrocious and was actually the gamebreaker for me. Regardless of how much you mess around with the sliders, this game is made for the FUT crowd who want high scores so the defense will be forced by the AI to allow chances that would never happen in real life with frequency. On any skill level, the game plays a my-turn, you're turn approach to attack and despite a few minutes per game where you can get 2-3 chances in a row, the game soon corrects itself to taking turn with shooting and ensuring your defenders are all having a love-in in a 2 yard square or they're so spread out the other team could walk through to get a shot off.
- Offensive tactical changes shouldn't react in brainless outcomes on the field where almost every scoring opportunity comes from a simple sidestep past an idiot and then ripping the ball in the corner from 20 yards. The game is designed to FORCE you into 1v1s to make you use skill moves, not pass the ball around to evade pressure and create space to get a shot off.

The idea of needing two Profiles for FIFA is becoming clearer and clearer every year.
One for Online and one for Offline.
Online want a fast paced game, that feels like a... game? OK.
We want something slower like what FIFA 22 is right now.

It should be so simple for EA to implement this.
Right from the first boot, when you set up your profile, the very first configuration should be: Are you an online or an offline player?. Then the game should load the different preset profile from there.
And one should be able to switch between the two from the settings menu at any time.

More good things about this game:

- Online matches are fluid, no cutscenes and quick transitions, I wish PES eFootball copied this for online as well.
- Filters for club/national team, and specially for team level. This year is necessary to avoid PSG/Man Utd.

And also bad things:

- On PS5, Cutscenes and menus are still on 30 FPS, with the attempt EA does to replicate TV broadcasting, this is a joke.
- Turn animations ruin this game, they are so so bad, completely ignoring human body physics and inertia. A shame all was done in the name of "responsiveness".

I have finished my sliders with a D4 English Match and Celtics Vs Rangers

Sliders

User / AI

Speed: 50/50
Acceleration: 46/49
Error in strike: 55/70
Error in passes: 55/60
Strike Speed: 45/45
Speed of passes: 35/35
Injury frequency: 80/70
Severity of Injuries: 30/53
GK level: 55/50
Positioning marking: 57/60
Race frequency positioning: 27/52
Professional positioning of the line def: 60/50
Positioning and positioning of the Def line: 48/50
Wide positioning of the line def: 51/48
Rear mounted positioning: 49/50
User power bar: 50/-
Bad control: 55/65

Celtic Vs Rangers

Exeter City Vs Forest Green

Last edited:
My impressions after 4 hours of playing the trial on PS5:
+ World Class difficulty is enjoyable. CPU makes mistakes and is much more human-like. I wish it were a little bit harder, but AI on Legendary doesn't make mistakes at all, and it's just not fun.
- 0 Fouls. Zero. Nothing. Nada. Not even close, and I tried to make the CPU foul me.
- CPU rarely crosses the ball or shot from outside the box. It mostly passes the ball around until it finds a free player inside the box and then takes the shot. Not so good IMO.
- Goalkeepers are hit-and-miss.
* I don't get HyperMotion at all. Am I suppose to feel it during gameplay? See it? To me, it feels like the same FIFA.

I guess I will save some hours to play the trial after day one patch to see whether I like it or not.

Just checked out Fifa22 on my PS5 and i wonder if it is possible i somehow installed the PS4 version by accident:

- animations still janky, unnatural and outdated

- strange physics all over the place, especially headers against the running path

- no organic feel of first touch error, even if slider is set to 100

- grass texture is an insult to every technology above HD ready

Clear to say that it will be at least another year with PESS21 for me. While not perfect, it feels like a PS7 game in comparison when it comes to lifelike sense of speed and player movement.

I like it but there are some issues that will hopefully be fixed and some I’m less sure they’ll ever care enough about. First the latter - controller assignment on Series X is still fucked and if you play a two player game then setting up controls for player 2 and having them stay that way when the game starts is a Krypton Factor challenge.

If you try to play a World Cup (you still can’t) and set up an international cup to fill from international sides it just puts them in alphabetically. If you then hit randomise it adds club teams even when you said not to

In game, I’m not noticing any difference in difficulty levels at all. This is in tournaments like CL etc, might just be there. I started on Legendary and struggled a bit so put it on world class and was pleased that it was still challenging but I wanted to practise some stuff in an easy game so put it down to professional and it’s still the same as legendary.

The AI seems to love scoring almost exclusively from the near post corner of the 6 yard box and it’s almost impossible to stop them getting in there for a shot.

I’m not sure GKs are overpowered but some of the kinds of saves they pull off are pretty stupid. I’ve seen bullets hit the underside of a hand and go just wide of a post many a time now. Perhaps if they just caught stuff sometimes it would make it clear the shot was just a bit crap and not like they’d performed another miracle save.

Game speed and passing and shooting etc all seem pretty good. Don’t listen to the FUT butter who want something other than a football game.

Just checked out Fifa22 on my PS5 and i wonder if it is possible i somehow installed the PS4 version by accident:

- animations still janky, unnatural and outdated

- strange physics all over the place, especially headers against the running path

- no organic feel of first touch error, even if slider is set to 100

- grass texture is an insult to every technology above HD ready

Clear to say that it will be at least another year with PESS21 for me. While not perfect, it feels like a PS7 game in comparison when it comes to lifelike sense of speed and player movement.
Have experienced the same exact thing
In fact i played the beta earlier and animations were way better

hope its an issue with trial version download otherwise will not be buying fifa ever again...

Have experienced the same exact thing
In fact i played the beta earlier and animations were way better

hope its an issue with trial version download otherwise will not be buying fifa ever again...
From someone who has tried quite hard to find and download the PS4 version on my PS5, I would say no, it’s the PS5 version.
you should be able to see the version by its symbol on the home page of the UI.

All this positivity is making me load it up again to see what’s wrong with me.

For those who aren’t pleased with how the games looks, I always go into accessibiiity and change the brightness and contrast in game. can make a big difference.

I like using the blue squares pattern ball. Like an old casey, gives a good visual appearance for ball physics.

Last edited:
- Turn animations ruin this game, they are so so bad, completely ignoring human body physics and inertia. A shame all was done in the name of "responsiveness".

That's why i've got really hard with Fifa. And it's the same since FIFA 15 (yes, FIFA 16 got the same issue. Aswell as PES 2013. To me it's more important than having some basic AI as it's the CORE of more than sports but what an human can/can't do IRL)

-Also, i'm like @TheWolf : on EVERY games, my strong point is defending. Well, i couldn't defend without tackling like a fool on FIFA 20 (i switched the 21) but for the others, that wasn't a issue even with Tactical Defending : i approched my player with the X button also with a teamate pressing and then i released the button to go manually.

Friends playing with me online told me "it's pretty hard to keep the ball, you press very well", well, it's my strong point with fast attack (not counter especially), doesn't mean i got a super finition. I don't have very weak point, but one strong let's say : not enough to be an Esport players lol.
But since FIFA 20, perhaps even the 19 i don't remember : the X button to keep from distance the player was less and less effective, like slowed down completely. I don't get it, it wasn't overpowered at all. But well... Again an Esport complaining and idea, just for them having more fun (i'm 100% sure it wasn't something who were overpowered : it's just a fake pressing to make your defender closer to the the guy(s) who possess the ball, and follow them. With 2 meters distance, and reactivity who became fast like a turtle : i re-tryed Fifa 14 and it's like a totally different feature in fact : it's usefull, you can stay close or keep the distance etc.)

The issue is from every video i saw, it's like Pressing, which is a classic, basic, and unavoidable Football feature that completely who given a completely different gameplay as the first (i remember) introduced it was ISS pro, not even Evolution version.
Was a game changer. But i can't see pressing from people playing in that game, but i can see it from the CPU.

Also @Chuny : i tried also legacy defending by curiosity, on 2 older FIFA. And since a very long time it's totally ineffective and they pushed us to play T.Def.
I really don't know, even on FIFA 16, how could you play with that system. It's not a matter of taste : but it's like i don't how much percent less effective than even defending manually. Even with Juve, the time for the player to start moving to press was way too long for the attacking and passing speed.
You will have to switch mate... I don't even know why they still keep it when i saw how obsolete that defending mode is.

But whatever, i will try to challenge that "hard" defence. I defended more or less manually on every Fifa, just used the "dont remember the name" X button to get closer to the player and when it was as much close, sometimes just during the process of behind close (so the system wasn't even done that i already get to the defender to tackle him)
Now, like on FIFA 20, i will get to do everything manually and defending in a hardore, agressive way. I didn't liked that game for some others reason, but that was one of the let's say 15 reasons i didn't liked it.

Whatever, i just want to see a beautiful sport game on my 4k so i won't resist to buy it. I'll be trapped even and i will force myself to "like" it. One think i didn't done since a very, very long time with Fifa or PES. BUT i'll be honest and said what i'm forcing to like and got hard to, and what i didn't liked before but with the habits to play in a certain way, it doesn't bores no more as before. Even if i got fun with some arcade stuff.... Only physics like said @NikoLiberty4 can push me out of the game in fact. But that's his own feeling, not mine (even if that was my first impression/annoyement watching vids i won't lie :JAY: ) and no sliders can fix that feeling.

a little O.T. but not a comparision about 18 and the 20 for example : didn't liked them. No GK, no fouls, basiccs phyiscs BUT also the first with a bigger pitch; many things were corrected PES 2019 : the issue for everyone here as i readed a lot what you founded wrong CPU AI gotted very obvious in terms of giving advantage/scripting if you want, i liked it. For the first paragraph reason : physics and animations, who were a level above evey PS4 PES, and thats my Mojo. I'll be honest : i'm not reasearching CPU variation at all cost, well it's a + of course, but challenge first. And i switch a lot my way to play so the AI switch too. Only issues i gotted, was on certain version for any games are no fouls at all, like in some version, otherwhise no problem for the rest. As i love to change my way of play in every sense possible, CPU wasn't really a big issue as they gotted to adapt to my "variety", i got fun with CPU by trying all the way to score.

Well, it's not the same when i play on Divisions online... If you open a gate, i will try to enter in to win/score, i think it's the same for every guys playing online on Divisions. With a friend, it's a different approach, i try to score goal that we will both remember.

Hey guys. I just posted this on the PC thread. I’m not sure how it will translate to next gen, but could be worth a try.

///

Ok guys, give this a go and see what you think. Some of the line adjustments are quite extreme, but I've had a couple of games and I've had way more of a midfield. I feel like the massive discrepancy in line height between user and CPU is really helping the passing lanes. 1v1 is still there etc, but I've found this has helped. It will most likely need more work (I'm still not overly happy with my team's midfield defensive position) and it might break down after more play - but I've actually quite enjoyed the last few matches (which I could never say on 21) and as I've said it's felt like there's much more of a midfield. I

Legendary/World Class

Slow speed

Semi-controls

Pass Block Assistance Off and all of the auto assists, clearances etc (not sure if this makes a difference)

Sprint Speed: 44 /44
Acceleration: 51/51
Shot Error: 60/60
Pass Error 57/57
Shot Speed: 49/49
Pass Speed: 38/38
Injury Frequency: 50/50
Injury Severity: 50/50
Goalkeeper Ability: 50/50
Marking: 77/77
Run Frequency: 20/20
Line Height: 50/94
Edit: Actually try USER HEIGHT at 10 also. I think I prefer this. I'm finding it puts your team in a more realistic position to build your attack and in a better defensive position also.
Line Length: 1/1
Line Width: 15/15
Fullback: 25/25
First Touch Error: 60/60

Last edited:
There's a big different when you change positions on 360 degrees, it's like an "animation transition" system in fact.
Check a vid comparing PS4 vs PS5 version mate, there's a significative vid about it.

On PS4 it seems like the player is moving super straight from a direction to another, without a very quick transition, not a movement.
I think it have a certain role while you're dribbling or try to pass some opposition in terms of collisions ball/players vs players/
Can't really said it's Ice Skating, i don't have the game close to my eyes, but that comparison was super obvious.

You mean for acceleration? That stuff exist since a long time, but if you talk about some else, i don't own FIFA 21. Personnally i don't know anyone who keeped that run/analog function.
I tried it on multiple versions (it was activated by default and i forgot to remove it) and in terms of sensations, feeling and impact in game, it was completely obsolete, well in my opinion.

It would have been a good idea if the difference got much more impact, like pushing the Trigger to the max > the players would have pushed the ball like with the right stick ball pushing, more or less. Would have been pretty fun to play with that system, with using a semi acceleration, doing stop'n'go such as players like Messi at his dribbling prime, also Iniesta was doing it at los, Insigne, even Giovinco (but he missed a lot to pass the defender haha) etc.: players not fast runner but more "dribblers" with a very high acceleration and deceleration. Often, small players, not super athletics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom