FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Downloading it now on ps4. Long time pes player since 1998. Does anyone have any quick sliders to make it play better/more simulation like, rather than arcade?

There's a lot to like , on the ps5 it looks stunning. AI on world class is a bit meh but I'm only one game in . They don't press as much as I like and don't seem to foul ..again. defending is better but still seeing players switch off

Well, I have to say - and this doesn't mean it's a good game, but it's important to note it.

EA have provably listened to our beta feedback. Specifically, Career Mode gameplay feedback. I REALLY didn't expect that.

The first beta, defenders very literally did nothing (see below). They sat in-front of the keeper and watched. There was no midfield, and there was no tracking back.

The second beta, after complaining about all this, there were little changes but nothing big enough to make a difference. Keepers were suddenly gods (thanks to FUT complaints), defenders didn't stand still but were still useless, and the midfield would now press you - but in a weird way (they'd run at you, follow you everywhere, but never block a pass or tackle you):

Also, the AI absolutely refused to cross the ball, or shoot from range. This was a major complaint.

Now, the trial - I've just played a few games and I'm really surprised.

Bear in mind I was seeing 20 shots minimum every single game, sometimes 25-35, and games with huge scorelines - I don't think I experienced a 1-0, let alone a 0-0.

First game on the trial:

D3FcCpS.jpg

10 shots, and a game that would have been 0-0 if not for a long-range curler.

Reason being - the midfield was actually difficult to break through, tracked back, and defenders were well positioned to block passes. IMAGINE MY SHOCK!

But even more shocking was seeing the AI cross the ball when the opportunity presented itself, and shooting from range to try and surprise the keeper. That was the biggest concern on the Career Mode beta forum at the end of the beta.

This is no coincidence, or a blip - this stuff absolutely didn't happen in the beta. Same with there being a midfield that forced you into holding onto the ball for a minute. They changed it. They listened.

Now... Again... Does that mean it's a good game?

Well, pass accuracy is crazy high, animations speed up to cartoon-speed when necessary to avoid input delay, and there are ZERO fouls in this game because of the responsiveness of all attacking players.

It's still the case that teams seem to take it in turn to attack, with possession never changing hands until someone shoots... and maybe the midfield / defence only provides any kind of resistance when you use the best teams in the world. That would be really sad.

What would be even worse is if ALL these changes we've SOMEHOW convinced the devs to make are completely wiped out after a patch or two. I have a horrible feeling that FUT complaints will destroy the game within a month. I'm not a Gamechanger - I have no voice from this point forward, to beg them to leave Career Mode gameplay alone.

But I have to say, they have listened to us. We have been heard. It's not a game that's made for us, but they've clearly tried to give us something to cling onto.

I've played 2 games now on PS4. First with lower rated teams(my beloved Hajduk Split is in the game) and with Man United vs Everton, on World class. I must say I like it, I've played Fifa 20 career not long ago, but this seems much slower paced and seems harder in a way even when I play on default settings with everything assisted. I feel more in control and game is less hectic with less sliding. Guess it's cause the gameplay is slower. So the passing doesn't feel as assisted as on Fifa 20. Fifa 21 I haven't played. Btw barely any fouls in 2 games but AI does cross, I know from reading here that some of you didn't like 21 cause the ai never crossed the ball etc which in fifa 20 wasn't a problem. Also seeing new keeper animations..game feels better offline overall and less assisted in my opinion, its my feeling at least right now if I compare to Fifa 20.

Last edited:
Do you guys know why I might be getting performance issues on PS5?.
It doesn't feel as smooth as it should be.
Playing on a 4K HDR Samsung TV set to Game Mode. Not 120hz.

Any particular settings I should be aware of?

I feel similarly, as much as I enjoy fifa. Ultimately this is the pes grit I think, that was there in ps2, ps3 to a lesser extent and pes 17. That feeling of being earthed, being gritty, being explosive. Fifa always feels a little one paced and liquid, no jerks, no inertia changed. Foot planting would probably make a big difference.
As I think about it too. I think that the lines of passing to a teammate are generally open, or at least you have 2-3 direct passes at anyone time from centre mid. It would probably help if you as the controlled player needed to find angles with the ball for most passes. That’s what old school did well and created that sense of hard work and being in a match. I did have some great moments where I sent a midfielder running, passes a few times and got them in through the Channel. Felt like the old days and that’s what I used to love, the feeling that you had created an attack and not just passed it at the right time.

looking forward to playing more later but I’m defending my base in minecraft against my 8 year old 😂😂

Downloading it now on ps4. Long time pes player since 1998. Does anyone have any quick sliders to make it play better/more simulation like, rather than arcade?
I would play it as it is for awhile pal if it’s your first time. See if you like it as it is.
Then at least you will have something to mark it against.
I’m going to tighten the marking and losses first touch on my next go.
Manual shooting helps and semi passing. Makes the game more organic.

I’m not sure pal. Have you loaded it to the console memory and not and external drive.
Maybe try none game mode to see if there’s a difference and narrow it down from there.

Player based difficulty seems to be interesting. So it's basically that if you play on Pro vs PSG let's say, Mbappe(all star players) will still stand out and be more dangerous than his teammates, he'll be on another level(world class or similar). If it really works the way it should maybe we should keep it on no matter which diff. we play on.

Maybe check your motion settings in case you've accidentally turned on any motion smoothing or anti judder..

Maybe check your motion settings in case you've accidentally turned on any motion smoothing or anti judder..
I actually got a quick "slowdown"in my first game for 2 sec, in the 2nd half on ps4 but it was fine afterwards. Maybe it's the game..or just a coincidence. It's EA so who knows. :)

This is very, very good.

edit: the variety in gameplay is better than it’s been for years. It’s better than fifa 21 for sure. I’m just not keen on how the CPU plays at times. I can have a really good match and go “wow, this is actually a good football game!” and then the next game I’ll concede a ridiculous looking goal.

I just hope EA don’t turn this into fifa 21.5 because there is a lot to like with this.

Last edited:
Player based difficulty seems to be interesting. So it's basically that if you play on Pro vs PSG let's say, Mbappe(all star players) will still stand out and be more dangerous than his teammates, he'll be on another level(world class or similar). If it really works the way it should maybe we should keep it on no matter which diff. we play on.
Yep, this is pretty neat. I've always thought one of the biggest steps towards a more realistic experience would actually be to move away from universal difficulty levels, so I was presently surprised when I saw this in the menu!
I wish it actually took the playing style of the player in to account a little more, but it's a welcome addition nonetheless.

Yep, this is pretty neat. I've always thought one of the biggest steps towards a more realistic experience would actually be to move away from universal difficulty levels, so I was presently surprised when I saw this in the menu!
I wish it actually took the playing style of the player in to account a little more, but it's a welcome addition nonetheless.

It was included in FIFA 21, at least on the PS5/XSX versions. Seems a little more pronounced in 22? Difficult to tell.

Not a big fan of the non skill-move dribbling. It's very awkward and cumbersome since players swim/skate around the pitch. Defenders don't over commit very often or plant their feet. This makes for lackluster LS dribbling compared to something like FIFA 16 or modern PES. I've played for three hours and the only fouls I've received are handballs. My back four still deers in headlights.

There are some positives, however. Some of the animations look and feel great, especially the aerial duels and tackles. Shooting feels fantastic, but that's to be expected from FIFA. The copious amount of keeper animations and the way they realistically dive around make shots and saves feel more satisfying (as opposed to moon gravity keepers in PES). The overall pace of the game is in a decent spot, especially as far as FIFA is concerned. I play on slow, but I have to jack up the acceleration or else it's a bit too sluggish for my liking. I might experiment with playing on normal, but lowering acceleration and pass speed. There are aspects of the game I'm enjoying, but it's not quite hooking me.

I can already imagine the incoming complaints from the FUT degenerates. This game will be patched to hell by the end of October.

3 matches played (bayern vs. dortmund, fulham vs southampton, rostock vs.hamburg). 10 min halves, slow, professional, fuma.
the latter match played the best, so this is "FIFA"! ;)

the keepers are volatile if not broken (in this inconsistant state). Sometimes they are very good and the new animations shine. Sometimes they look foolish that its not acceptable (buggy), but it’s something EA will probably fix with an update. Graphics are off and need an update too. lighting issues and the colors need work too.
some new hyper animations are nice. Skating still a problem as are the fast turns on a dime. sometimes it looks like an cgi effect in a scifi movie! :LOL:

anyway.... it could be that i havent played one of the latest FIFA (but only FIFA16), and/or my body and brains are craving for more, something more 2021ish... but, this plays a bit different than FIFA21... reminded me a little bit of 16... some of that physicality and momentum is in... can i say that? :JAY:

I think I’ll play the full 10 hours.

any chance the disc version (vanilla) will be different to what we downloaded with the trail version via EAplay?

edit: i did not know about lifting short passes on purpose with pressing x quick when done loading the pass bar. Is that new?

Last edited:
The AI shoots from distance at times but it's number one method is to pass to the 6 yard box then smash it in ..maybe I'm too tired but I got bored after 3 games of seeing the same approach , and one foul in a total of 5 games Is really off putting

This is very, very good.

edit: the variety in gameplay is better than it’s been for years. It’s better than fifa 21 for sure. I’m just not keen on how the CPU plays at times. I can have a really good match and go “wow, this is actually a good football game!” and then the next game I’ll concede a ridiculous looking goal.

I just hope EA don’t turn this into fifa 21.5 because there is a lot to like with this.

Are you getting midfield resistance to a tolerable level too?

Everything I see in videos really does look pretty good...

It was included in FIFA 21, at least on the PS5/XSX versions. Seems a little more pronounced in 22? Difficult to tell.

Not a big fan of the non skill-move dribbling. It's very awkward and cumbersome since players swim/skate around the pitch. Defenders don't over commit very often or plant their feet. This makes for lackluster LS dribbling compared to something like FIFA 16 or modern PES. I've played for three hours and the only fouls I've received are handballs. My back four still deers in headlights.

There are some positives, however. Some of the animations look and feel great, especially the aerial duels and tackles. Shooting feels fantastic, but that's to be expected from FIFA. The copious amount of keeper animations and the way they realistically dive around make shots and saves feel more satisfying (as opposed to moon gravity keepers in PES). The overall pace of the game is in a decent spot, especially as far as FIFA is concerned. I play on slow, but I have to jack up the acceleration or else it's a bit too sluggish for my liking. I might experiment with playing on normal, but lowering acceleration and pass speed. There are aspects of the game I'm enjoying, but it's not quite hooking me.

I can already imagine the incoming complaints from the FUT degenerates. This game will be patched to hell by the end of October.
Sure you're not thinking of the abhorrent 'competitor mode'? Lol... that was indeed present in 21 and it was awful. 'Player based difficulty' is a new setting that makes specific AI players stand out from the rest of their team

Sure you're not thinking of the abhorrent 'competitor mode'? Lol... that was indeed present in 21 and it was awful. 'Player based difficulty' is a new setting that makes specific AI players stand out from the rest of their team

Oh, you are correct! In my head because I had seen it in the beta, I had seen it in FIFA 21. I even posted that I was curious about this setting on this very thread a month or so back...

I blame getting older.

What's the consensus on the PS4 version? Thinking of getting EA Play for the month as a new member for 0.79p to try it out (If it gets me access to it?)

Is the skating/footplanting improved from FIFA 21? That spider legged shit was the ultimate turn off for me last year.

Still, judging by this comment on a comparison video, some people are easily pleased by the gimmicky stuff...

1632349645039.png

Last edited:
Giving this a second try (this time PS4 version), and now I'm starting to like it LOL

Mainly because I expected a copy paste of 21, but actually there are improvements all around.

Are you getting midfield resistance to a tolerable level too?

Everything I see in videos really does look pretty good...
Not sure what you mean mate? Do you mean how the CPU presses and defends with their midfield?

This does play a very good game of football, takes a while to get used to but I’m really enjoying it so far. Serious lack of fouls though, really pisses me off that EA and Konami don’t think we’ve got fouls in football anymore!

Long time fifa hater and PES lover.

This is good, really good.

Only issue I had was on legendary mode United Vs Young Boys, they kept doing those instant finishes in the box which I found annoying so have turned up shot error to compensate.

There's a lot to like , on the ps5 it looks stunning. AI on world class is a bit meh but I'm only one game in . They don't press as much as I like and don't seem to foul ..again. defending is better but still seeing players switch off
Did you see Van Der Beek switch of tonight v Westham? I'm enjoying it so far and plenty of shots from outside the box.

Back
Top Bottom