FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Played a quick match there. I can confirm it's a FIFA. Same patterns of play and creepy smiles.

Visually it's a shoulder shrug. Nothing to me said next gen.

Is HyperMotion when the ball or player snaps instantly into position to play a pass on their stronger foot? If so, they've nailed it.

I like the pace of it. Ball feels nice until you get to the final third where it seems as if all control is wrestled away from you, becoming totally hit or miss.

Played on Legendary because why go lower, to a narrow 2-0 defeat to Dortmund as Atletico.

The hottest of takes: meh.

Played a quick match there. I can confirm it's a FIFA. Same patterns of play and creepy smiles.

Is HyperMotion when the ball or player snaps instantly into position to play a pass on their stronger foot? If so, they've nailed it.

I like the pace of it. Ball feels nice until you get to the final third where it seems as if all control is wrestled away from you, becoming totally hit or miss.

Played on Legendary because why go lower, to a narrow 2-0 defeat to Dortmund as Atletico.

Same patterns of play? Really? Do you mean for your own team or the cpu?

I thought I saw more interesting combinations available from teammates in the playstation access video especially

I don't know what happened, but that CL match between PSG and Chelsea was awesome game, gameplay is really slow with great animations. Then i downloaded squads in edit menu and game became little bit faster and different?!

This isn't hyperbole when I say that I played 5-6 matches in a row during the beta without a single foul going in my favor.

For anyone asking, yes, I dribble. I'm a bit of a flash cunt so that's not the issue!

Have you tried manual passing? (Don't ask me "why, what does it got to do with it?", I don't know the answer to that).

It has the same issues as the beta.
You might not notice them at first.
The defenders are passive, there is no man marking and the line drops way back no matter the tactics.
The cdms do track back with specific instructions, but the midfielders and defenders form two separate parallel lines.
The attacking AI always does the same thing, perfect guided passes from the sides, in between the midfielders and defenders, then shoots.
Most of the teams are set to Slow build up & Possession.
Out of the box, offline is unplayable.
Fucking unbearable.

Last edited:
The defenders are passive, there is no man marking and the line drops way back no matter the tactics.
The cdms do track back with specific instructions, but the midfielders and defenders form two separate parallel lines.

Just like the beta, this was immediately apparent in my first match. Whilst the opposition's attacking AI is more robust, general defensive awareness in and around the area has not improved. Once the opposition gets within 25-yards or so of your goal, your players switch off. There's no urgency to close down/get tight to players or shut down passing lanes. It's all very passive and turgid in that area of the pitch. Save for the keepers who are phenomenal (in a good way). Some teams leave a tremendous amount of space on the wings, you can just ping lofted diagonals up the pitch with little to no resistance.

Distinct lack of fouls remains as well.

Last edited:
The game feels worse than fifa 21 on last gen. The sense of 360 degrees movement is gone. The beta still had it.
It feels clunky and slidey, and somehow unresponsive, but then hyper responsive. I mean I can tolerate some slidey, but clunky and slidey? If I wanted that I would've just played the last 5 PES iterations.

Reminds me of fifa 20 rather than fifa 21.

the pitch textures are terrible.

I just dont understand why the graphics are so poor, especially when placed against other frostbite games. Football games have never looked cutting edge but theyve never looked this mediocre, and on consoles so powerful too...

Either they dont care anymore or they're incompetent ie their engine is such a mess, there's no room for better graphics.

So, just spend 3 hours on it. And these are my thoughts so far:

(I'm playing on Full-Manual controls, Slow, 10min halves, World Class difficulty)

What I changed on the sliders right out of the gate:
Code:
User Power bar: 90 (Because of FUMA)
First Touch Error: 100/100 (Because of ** which I explain in the Cons)

Pros
- Because they toned down the pass speed, the pace of the game feels much better, especially in Slow
- Midfielders do track back in defense
- Defensive organization is much better and they do seem to play as a unit (*)
- AI behave much better and have more variety in the way they play
- Switching the play (lobbed passes in general) feels good
- Net physics are pretty satisfying

Cons
- Ice-skating is still very much there as expected, which is annoying because it makes the players look and feel floaty as they do not properly plant their feet
- (*) While defense plays as a unit, they aren't very good at marking opposition strikers making a run behind the defensive line.
- Ground passing animations as well as their trajectories still don't feel very good
- It seems to be a bit too easy to score headers from corners
- (**) Without raising First Touch Error, the players are inhumanly good at trapping bullet passes.
- Set pieces are pretty dumb and I hate the animation when they cross the ball into the box, it's like a chip animation which looks absolutely terrible
- Most teams only have 2 kits which makes some matches horribly hard to distinguish teams

What I'm still unsure about:
- CPU crossing the ball: haven't paid enough attention to this yet but it seems that the AI prefers to play through the center of the pitch rather than explore the wide areas.
- CPU Long-Shots: also haven't paid much attention to it although the CPU scored on me just outside the box which is a good sign but needs more testing on my part.

Last edited:
I take back my initial thoughts from earlier.

Irrelevant between the XBSX and PS5 versions, identical except the haptic feedback etc.

I mostly when the new one comes out, same with PES, watch CPU vs CPU, to see the AI decision making, the ball physics, the new, in this case hypermotion related, animations.

Not only do the new details standout, especially if flicking back between this and FIFA 21 on PS5, but the end scoreline in a CPU vs CPU match is so, so realistic, the lack of space in and around the penalty areas, the organic defending, the keepers with all sorts of new saving abilities, first match of "20 mins" ended B Munich 4-2 PSG (Legendary, comp mode off, game in Slow mode), and the second game, repeating the same teams and same level, ended up 3-3.

Last year and previous years always ended up, for 20 mins matches CPU vs CPU, something like 9-8 or 10-10 !!

The new running animations are so much more realistic, the turning especially very organic, still the occasionsal FIFA style jerky turn or quick movement, but mostly, 100% contextual to the situation the player is in.

Very VERY impressed. Even has crosses and long shots fairly frequently.

Oh and just to add, similarly to the previous poster who had set first touch error to 100/100, I had done the same funnily enough, it makes things almost lifelike.

Typical FIFA from the 5 or so matches I've played. If you didn't like it before this game won't change your mind.

Jittery animations at times, dull AI, ice skating, awful set piece mechanics, lack of fouls. I could go on.....

I just dont understand why the graphics are so poor, especially when placed against other frostbite games. Football games have never looked cutting edge but theyve never looked this mediocre, and on consoles so powerful too...

Either they dont care anymore or they're incompetent ie their engine is such a mess, there's no room for better graphics.
I was actually playing the Xbox One version! Downloading the Series X version now.

Guys I have a good news, played my first game on XSX and it was very good. This game have some good potential.

I have played on manual, normal speed and all the automatic rubbish settings switched off. Everything default in terms of passing speed, shooting error so everything on 50 for cpu and myself because I just wanted to see how the game play on manual but with ea settings when it comes to gameplay sliders.

I will show you a picture of shooting stats after the game and CPU shoot 7 times from outside the box. Yes ! Seven times. And now please do not look at the radar picture with these blue dots which showing you the place on the field from where the footballer is taking a shot because EA screwed it and these dots are not accurate, they are much closer to the goal than real shoots were taken or even inside the box when it was definitely from outside the box. Trust me on this or even check it out by yourself very accurately and you will see.

Attachments

• 2D10DF11-839B-4DA6-A9FF-A4DC8BB98807.jpeg
    2D10DF11-839B-4DA6-A9FF-A4DC8BB98807.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 21
What is wrong with the defending against AI? It always feels like my player is that "one step" away from taking the ball from the opponent.
It is a bit weird, but maybe only on my side.

I liked it the first couple of games ( as always ) but then I found I was being sucked into holding sprint constantly ( not sure why that always happens with FIFA, sucks my brain out ) Once I realized that and stopped needing to get the ball back constantly, it felt better again. Also in attack as players had more time to make better runs.

It is streets ahead of 21 gameplay wise for me but still lacking that physicality and grittiness. Theres something always a bit too smooth about Fifa, which gives it a sense of slight disconnect for me. Leading to daydream playing and a loss of focus, leading to boredom.

I'm prepared to give it time. I like the ball though and the physics. 21 physics made me laugh, was like a mole would pop up random in the pitch to knock the ball up in the air for no reason.

Just a lot more physicality, ruggedness and it could be great. I might up the marking to tighter later and 100 first touch like people say.

Doesn't seem you can access the PS4 version if you have PS5 though. Anyone else found this ? I just want to play online with my mates who only have PS4's.

I liked it the first couple of games ( as always ) but then I found I was being sucked into holding sprint constantly ( not sure why that always happens with FIFA, sucks my brain out ) Once I realized that and stopped needing to get the ball back constantly, it felt better again. Also in attack as players had more time to make better runs.

It is streets ahead of 21 gameplay wise for me but still lacking that physicality and grittiness. Theres something always a bit too smooth about Fifa, which gives it a sense of slight disconnect for me. Leading to daydream playing and a loss of focus, leading to boredom.

I'm prepared to give it time. I like the ball though and the physics. 21 physics made me laugh, was like a mole would pop up random in the pitch to knock the ball up in the air for no reason.

Just a lot more physicality, ruggedness and it could be great. I might up the marking to tighter later and 100 first touch like people say.

Doesn't seem you can access the PS4 version if you have PS5 though. Anyone else found this ? I just want to play online with my mates who only have PS4's.

I feel similarly, as much as I enjoy fifa. Ultimately this is the pes grit I think, that was there in ps2, ps3 to a lesser extent and pes 17. That feeling of being earthed, being gritty, being explosive. Fifa always feels a little one paced and liquid, no jerks, no inertia changed. Foot planting would probably make a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom