FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Downloaded the update. I actually quite like that tackling for the ball wins possession more often, because it does result in some cool moments where you tackle for the ball in the opponent's half and can mount a genuine-looking counter.

That said, it's yet another part of the game where physics are being ignored for "fairness", which is just depressing - and a considerable amount of my interactions with the ball now involve my player "ghosting" into position, without having to move his limbs and walk into place. My defender headed a ball away earlier that he was a good 6ft away from, by sliding into position like he was crab-walking, except he wasn't. He just... slid.

I just can't get much joy out of playing the AI. Attributes are meaningless, pass and dribble accuracy is always CRAZY high no matter the sliders (and lower difficulties than Legendary make the game far too easy).

This match was a killer for me. The AI didn't actually attack relentlessly, and they actually passed sideways at the back a few times (which I've not seen for a while). However, as soon as I moved one player out of position, that was it - instantly through, dribbling like a DJ scratching a record (spinning like a malfunctioning robot) and passing with perfect accuracy, skating all the while.

The only reason the shot accuracy is so low is because of the "shot error" slider. It's just... Boring.

Game after game. The exact same match, with different kits on show.

I’m not feeling this game at all since the updates. It’s too fast on PS5, even on slow with passing speed down to 30. The CPU whizzes the ball around the pitch regardless of whether it’s Luton Town or Liverpool.

Most of my matches end up with unrealistic scorelines. I’ve tried so many sliders, camera angles, even dropped down to League 1 to see if that helps with the over powered players but like @Chris Davies mentioned above, stats/attributes don’t make a huge difference in this and every game feels like a chore to me. I dropped it down to World Class but it’s far too easy, it turns the CPU in a zombie which forgets how to attack.

Even scoring winners doesn’t fill me with joy, I just get nothing from this series these days.

Definitely time to uninstall and play the huge pile of shame that’s sitting on my Series X and PS5 hard drives. When you’re not enjoying it anymore, it’s time to stop. And I need to take my own advice on this one!

Definitely time to uninstall and play the huge pile of shame that’s sitting on my Series X and PS5 hard drives. When you’re not enjoying it anymore, it’s time to stop. And I need to take my own advice on this one
Good advice ,my time and especially joy is more valuable than playing half arse games ,much more fun playing something you really like no matter what it is.
Once this game is patched fully and dead I'll pop in and give it a go

I’m not feeling this game at all since the updates. It’s too fast on PS5, even on slow with passing speed down to 30. The CPU whizzes the ball around the pitch regardless of whether it’s Luton Town or Liverpool.

Most of my matches end up with unrealistic scorelines. I’ve tried so many sliders, camera angles, even dropped down to League 1 to see if that helps with the over powered players but like @Chris Davies mentioned above, stats/attributes don’t make a huge difference in this and every game feels like a chore to me. I dropped it down to World Class but it’s far too easy, it turns the CPU in a zombie which forgets how to attack.

Even scoring winners doesn’t fill me with joy, I just get nothing from this series these days.

Definitely time to uninstall and play the huge pile of shame that’s sitting on my Series X and PS5 hard drives. When you’re not enjoying it anymore, it’s time to stop. And I need to take my own advice on this one!
Try Sifu mate, a very good game if you like difficulty and fighting!

My matches are still goods, I haven't the CPU who did nothing on attack, that the key. Even on WC, challenge is there! But After 4 seasons with Olympique de Marseille and Two with United, i make a big break. I want to play Horizon Forbidden West, a futur masterpiece on PS5 in 10 days🤩

I dont get the strong hate for this still loving my div 1 career with Bolton. Only had one exhibition game so far with new patch so too early to tell. I did see the AI go on a bit of a mazy dribble which was nice ,
Don't see strong hate ,do you?
Questions whether this is good enough for a modern game ,that's something else and called critique!

I dont get the strong hate for this still loving my div 1 career with Bolton. Only had one exhibition game so far with new patch so too early to tell. I did see the AI go on a bit of a mazy dribble which was nice ,
What strong hate?

Try Sifu mate, a very good game if you like difficulty and fighting!

My matches are still goods, I haven't the CPU who did nothing on attack, that the key. Even on WC, challenge is there! But After 4 seasons with Olympique de Marseille and Two with United, i make a big break. I want to play Horizon Forbidden West, a futur masterpiece on PS5 in 10 days🤩
I’m excited for Elden Ring mate! Not long now :)

It's over.

Wake me up when the keepers stop doing this shit.
Exactly!!
This is just one tiny example of what I mean when I said “no appropriate animation”from the keepers! Happens a hell lot of often!! I could provide xxx examples. That needed fixing from day one and yes, it’s one of the things that drive me nuts at times!!

It's over.

Wake me up when the keepers stop doing this shit.
Exactly!!
This is just one tiny example of what I mean when I said “no appropriate animation”from the keepers! Happens a hell lot of often!! I could provide xxx examples. That needed fixing from day one and yes, it’s one of the things that drive me nuts at times!!
Just another example of how they're making an equivalent of a board game rather than a football game.

Nothing is organic, calculated based on attributes and physics - everything is forced, "for fairness", i.e. "I won a tackle, WHY DID THE BALL RUN AWAY FROM ME, WAHHHH". That's literally what the last patch was for. Because "games should be games". Just throw guns into it and turn it into Fortnite already.

In the age of game consoles having more power than we would have imagined 20+ years ago, there are seemingly more "cheats" (or "shortcuts") to guarantee certain outcomes than ever. We have no considerably better recreation of football.

All so that little Johnny scores with his 90+ rated striker, even when you've done nothing wrong, because otherwise it's "not fair" (and he won't be likely to fork up another £100 on player packs).

Goals just don't feel like this any more (courtesy of @Flipper the Priest):

Exactly!!

That's the most astonishing thing for me: it's been from day one. A glaring problem.

I thought the game was pretty damn good upon release but even then then keepers were shite.

Yesterday's indiscretion was the final straw. Otherwise it was a decent match, but that's incidental - a football game's only as good as its biggest flaw. It's not worth persevering. I have visions of something like that happening in the last seconds of a cup final and me sticking the nut into my Xbox.

I'm going back to the 16-bit era before I can think of a game in which goalkeepers have such an uncomfortable relationship with the ball.

That's the most astonishing thing for me: it's been from day one. A glaring problem.

I thought the game was pretty damn good upon release but even then then keepers were shite.

Yesterday's indiscretion was the final straw. Otherwise it was a decent match, but that's incidental - a football game's only as good as its biggest flaw. It's not worth persevering. I have visions of something like that happening in the last seconds of a cup final and me sticking the nut into my Xbox.

I'm going back to the 16-bit era before I can think of a game in which goalkeepers have such an uncomfortable relationship with the ball.
In the beta, they were my favourite thing about the game. I sent a fair few clips of beautiful moments over to @Emroth. They were completely organic. In some instances, they made mistakes, but not because they clearly refused to stick their hands out and save a shot - it was that they were poorly positioned, or there were players in the way of the ball and they flapped and missed.

The rest of the game was dreadful, honestly (the AI was appalling, ridiculously basic, passing in straight lines forwards because of the acres of space all over the pitch and only ever shooting if the ball was in the six-yard box).

However, there were tons of complaints that shots weren't going in (chiefly because of the insane amount of auto-blocks from defenders that would be impossible to achieve unless you were psychic, but EA never seem to acknowledge this as the scores would be truly mental without them).

Next patch, boom. Bizarrely, a complete swap. The AI was much tighter, but the goalkeepers acted as if they were scared to touch the ball... and they've been like that ever since.

Quick question on CM/Player career.
Have they fixed how teams finish?
I know on my FIFA 20 careers the winning team in my played league lost 1 or max 2 games making a title run impossible.

I posted this on the 21 thread as well ,and got the answer that it was fixed only to sim a few seasons seeing it was bullshit!

Before 20 the winning teams were all over the place ,finishing with 10-15 draws etc.
Anyone?

Let’s just be honest - unless you’re a fan of FUT or myClub, modern football gaming for the single players is pretty bad.

FIFA 22 does a lot right but at its core it is still FIFA on Frostbite which has been pretty dire every year for me. I get zero enjoyment from scoring goals. The CPU scores ridiculous goals on a consistent basis. You have to play with sliders for months to achieve something that resembles the beautiful game and even then, it’s still wonky as hell.

The magic has gone. And it’s never coming back because we are a minority and we are an afterthought. EA simply have to cater for the FUT idiots. We can mess around with sliders, change to FUMA etc etc but it still won’t stop the GKs just watching shots fly in like the video Flipper posted above.

FIFA and PES are done. And I’ve made my peace with that at last.

I’ve downloaded FM 2022 on Game Pass. Going to try that.

Let’s just be honest - unless you’re a fan of FUT or myClub, modern football gaming for the single players is pretty bad.

FIFA 22 does a lot right but at its core it is still FIFA on Frostbite which has been pretty dire every year for me. I get zero enjoyment from scoring goals. The CPU scores ridiculous goals on a consistent basis. You have to play with sliders for months to achieve something that resembles the beautiful game and even then, it’s still wonky as hell.

The magic has gone. And it’s never coming back because we are a minority and we are an afterthought. EA simply have to cater for the FUT idiots. We can mess around with sliders, change to FUMA etc etc but it still won’t stop the GKs just watching shots fly in like the video Flipper posted above.

FIFA and PES are done. And I’ve made my peace with that at last.

I’ve downloaded FM 2022 on Game Pass. Going to try that.
Go back and play FIFA 15.
Still brilliant ,older yes ,but after a while you'll get used to that ,plus you can play it on your ps5/Xbox X.

You're definitely better placed as a football gamer if you can overlook out-of-date squads. Without going too far off piste and making this a comparisonfest, current gen 22 barely looks or sounds better than last gen 15 and certainly doesn't play as well. If you can look past the squads you're on to a winner. No HyperMarketing™ in sight.

You're definitely better placed as a football gamer if you can overlook out-of-date squads. Without going too far off piste and making this a comparisonfest, current gen 22 barely looks or sounds better than last gen 15 and certainly doesn't play as well. If you can look past the squads you're on to a winner. No HyperMarketing™ in sight.

And at this point in time, it is almost like playing a very well made classic patch.

Just because it scratches the topic, and I won’t go into detail nor off topic… can you imagine what a pleasant surprise it was to me, when I first discovered AI in racing sims just a few month ago?! And I wont go into detail on the multiplayer part either, that impresses me every time I drive now (and I definitely never was an online guy no matter the game or genre); creating tough but oh so fun and teaching (!!) battles for drivers each class (including rookies like me).
In short: there is software out there doing fine in offline and online modes, AI and skill wise, and it makes me so endlessly happy to be able to experience that (in my age! ;) ) myself! Who should have thought?! :D

:BYE:

Last edited:
I reinstalled my 15 after we spoke.
Some game man

And at this point in time, it is almost like playing a very well made classic patch.
That’s right Pap. I bought the ps4 version of 14 to play on my Ps5 last week. I had it years ago on Xbox but I’m curious to compare it to the solid PC version now that I’ve played that recently and enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Just another example of how they're making an equivalent of a board game rather than a football game.

Nothing is organic, calculated based on attributes and physics - everything is forced, "for fairness", i.e. "I won a tackle, WHY DID THE BALL RUN AWAY FROM ME, WAHHHH". That's literally what the last patch was for. Because "games should be games". Just throw guns into it and turn it into Fortnite already.

In the age of game consoles having more power than we would have imagined 20+ years ago, there are seemingly more "cheats" (or "shortcuts") to guarantee certain outcomes than ever. We have no considerably better recreation of football.

All so that little Johnny scores with his 90+ rated striker, even when you've done nothing wrong, because otherwise it's "not fair" (and he won't be likely to fork up another £100 on player packs).

Goals just don't feel like this any more (courtesy of @Flipper the Priest):

Reminds me of this one from 13 years ago that showed up in my Facebook memories, can't remember celebrating Fifa goals like this anymore!

Back
Top Bottom