FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

I'm pretty sure that most of these features aren't actually next-gen features. We will also see those features on the existing consoles, and the next-gen version will only look better ("Deferred lighting"). Why would they create different assets for the next-gen consoles when they're still using the same engine?

Yep...i mean look at De Bruyne here lol.

View attachment 48006

EA and their fuckin ragdolls...Looks like a Fortnite character..
To be fair the player models have been slowly kinda improved with Frostbite if you compare them to the bulky steroid freaks that we had some years ago like in Fifa 15 for example.But yeah...they still look weird and non much human.They never seem to get this right.
With the budget that they have they probably could have scanned entirely whole real life body models and in various different shapes if they wanted to and put them in the game.But then,it's also the realistic movement that it's still lacking big time so maybe that alone wouldn't make a big difference in the end..
Fuck..I'm watching some Last of Us 2 videos these days and how the models look and move there and i thought at some point what if Naughty Dog made a football game..how would it look and move..

Player models look the exact same as last year, even the animation bits they shown already are the same. Ie the ragdoll players are still in.

10 years??
What if we have an Apocalyse until then or some fucking comet drops and kill us all or something lol.
I wonder how much this cost.Not that EA has any money problems.Well,maybe if the FUT surprise mechanics get banned then they will have some.

10 years??
What if we have an Apocalyse until then or some fucking comet drops and kill us all or something lol.
I wonder how much this cost.Not that EA has any money problems.Well,maybe if the FUT surprise mechanics get banned then they will have some.

Well... LaLiga (as well as other leagues) is using FIFA 20 audio for their games, how could they not renew their partnershit after that?.

Hopefully heading is back on this one, Fifa 20's heading is non existent for forwards. I play on average a good 15 plus games of Club a week, and think in total have scored about 10 goals from headers . Doesn't matter if you go as tall as Peter Crouch, the CB will always get to the ball.

Hopefully heading is back on this one, Fifa 20's heading is non existent for forwards. I play on average a good 15 plus games of Club a week, and think in total have scored about 10 goals from headers . Doesn't matter if you go as tall as Peter Crouch, the CB will always get to the ball.
Getting corners is like a chore these days. I think after 200+ games I may have scored about 5 from corners and crosses.

Should i contribute by saying that, crosses/headers were a complain from FuT/e-sports guys, because it is more an RNG factor than "skill-gap" (according to them always) ...??!! :SMUG:

Should i contribute by saying that, crosses/headers were a complain from FuT/e-sports guys, because it is more an RNG factor than "skill-gap" (according to them always) ...??!! :SMUG:

I don't get it, if they want skill gap, why rely on heavily assisted settings for passes and shots? The less assistance the more your input matters. Also no complaints about the AI doing this instead of the that you asked for.

I don't get it, if they want skill gap, why rely on heavily assisted settings for passes and shots? The less assistance the more your input matters. Also no complaints about the AI doing this instead of the that you asked for.
Don't know dude, I can't get also in this mentality. Blaming the AI for defending, but in the same time playing with all assists on or with PA3 in other game.

I could make a logical leap and say that they criticize whatever it is not in their favor...

Generally I can't find much sense in those people discussions and I strongly resist to not reply, cause I do not know, if it is viable to start an argument with someone that prefers a match to end 10-9 instead of 1-0 as more "realistic".
In such a similar discussion about a previous FIFA, I remember I saw that comments abouts headers. The post concept was that, some matches were ending 1-0 after a tight game, by a header from a cross, which according to most comments was bad and "random".

In that same discussions about "skill-crap" I remember also the constant complains that is unfair, in a match ended 1-0, that the winner was using only MFs, letting the AI to control his defense line and defend, and he scored from a header after a cross, which seem very "random" and unskillfull.

Putting all the pieces in one equitation , you will not make any logical sense, but you will conclude about some modern fundamental problems of offline gaming.

Last edited:
To me it does make sense because they seem to dislike everything that is random and situational, so I guess from their perspective it's reasonable to hate on headers yet to have everything on assisted. Key words being control, control and a bit more of control.

It does go without saying that by taking this stance you end up with the soulless and aseptic football we are seeing more and more in the last years on both sides.

@papinho81 I take the first random example. Press control+F and count the amount of words "skill gap", "manual defending" "AI auto blocking" "RNG"..

Or feedback like this.
https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/506447/fifa20-is-trash-with-a-minimal-skillgap

And to place it in realistic base, those players may be correct for their case,, FuT, esports, etc. But we are correct in the offline part. That's both companies' fault, who don't invest in split versions, but keep mixing things up.

Last edited:
My personal sensible opinion is that "skill gap" is not something relative to football, so it doesn't have place in a football simulator.
If we can go to a more philosophy state, it is in game's nature to be unpredictable and "RNG". In different case, Galacticos would have won everything instead of nothing, Leicester, Denmark NT and Greece NT would never win a title.
But that's just me..

If we can go to a more philosophy state, it is in game's nature to be unpredictable and "RNG".
Yeah but it unfortunately has to do with eSports.
I mean, people pump money into it and it's a competitive world so they expect that the best team (actually a mix between good player and good squad) always wins because of it.
I am aware that this is nonsense (real football showed that upsets can happen, and usually happen pretty frequently), but that's the way things are now.
The so called "skill gap" (and licensing, but I'll save this for another post) might be the only thing they look for.

football gaming has turned into a sport of its own, which has little to do with real football.
Look at what happened with headers for example (you mentioned it already and I complained a couple of times about it in the FIFA 20 thread): they'could still be deadly in real life provided that you have the right players, yet in this game they're totally useless. Why are they so? Because eSports and FUT people found them too random.
It doesn't matter if the game doesn't resemble football anymore, as long as there's the "skill gap" (which to me means that the one who could understand the game machanics better and exploit them at his own advantage, should win).

Yeah but it unfortunately has to do with eSports.
I mean, people pump money into it and it's a competitive world so they expect that the best team (actually a mix between good player and good squad) always wins because of it.
I am aware that this is nonsense (real football showed that upsets can happen, and usually happen pretty frequently), but that's the way things are now.
The so called "skill gap" (and licensing, but I'll save this for another post) might be the only thing they look for.

football gaming has turned into a sport of its own, which has little to do with real football.
Look at what happened with headers for example (you mentioned it already and I complained a couple of times about it in the FIFA 20 thread): they'could still be deadly in real life provided that you have the right players, yet in this game they're totally useless. Why are they so? Because eSports and FUT people found them too random.
It doesn't matter if the game doesn't resemble football anymore, as long as there's the "skill gap" (which to me means that the one who could understand the game machanics better and exploit them at his own advantage, should win).
Τhats exactly why both communities need two separate versions. And just avoid the sim/arcade split labels to shield the marketing backslash.
Label one version online or esports and have people to play with 11 dummies, without any attribute variation, leveled overalls, fast tempo, full assisted tikitakas, no fouls, no referees, etc. This version needs only fifpro licenses, so people can recognize the dummies and spend their coins.

Then have an offline version with whatever licensed leagues/content possible and include all those staff that the previous category hates. CPU AI, headers, fouls, throwins, PKs, misplaced passes, goal kick shoots, weather effects, atributes variation, bookings, injuries, midfield match, everything that makes a football game look like the real life sport.

It is so necessary to split the versions, as both gaming communities have so different and conflicting needs, that is impossible to see something that will please everyone, in the future.

Historically, console transitions have been punctuated by increased graphic fidelity and that hasn't changed -- this next generation of games will certainly take a visual leap -- but we are also taking advantage of the extra memory and CPU cycles to bring a lot more detail to life.

As an example, in Madden we will be using the NFL's next gen stats so every athlete in the game will play how they do in real life, with the data being updated in real-time. Fans in the stadium will be unique people responding to the action on the field. Deferred rendering allows us to use colors and lights in more dynamic ways... and dynamic weather systems will impact the athletes, their equipment and the playing field. Games are going to feel different, better and more visceral.

Link: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-will-feel-different-better-and-more-visceral

Τhats exactly why both communities need two separate versions. And just avoid the sim/arcade split labels to shield the marketing backslash.
Label one version online or esports and have people to play with 11 dummies, without any attribute variation, leveled overalls, fast tempo, full assisted tikitakas, no fouls, no referees, etc. This version needs only fifpro licenses, so people can recognize the dummies and spend their coins.

Then have an offline version with whatever licensed leagues/content possible and include all those staff that the previous category hates. CPU AI, headers, fouls, throwins, PKs, misplaced passes, goal kick shoots, weather effects, atributes variation, bookings, injuries, midfield match, everything that makes a football game look like the real life sport.

It is so necessary to split the versions, as both gaming communities have so different and conflicting needs, that is impossible to see something that will please everyone, in the future.
I wonder why they still haven't tried to market something like this?

As demonstrated by Papinho and the other guys looking into Fifa 20's files, the game does already have a much more simulative layer hidden within. They would just need to bring it to surface, maybe do some general tweak and market that for people wanting career mode. Seems like a no brainer.

Maybe the possibility to lure more people to FUT by having similar gameplays it's still more remunerative and worth in their eyes, I don't know.

"Historically, new consoles have been about graphics - but we're also taking advantage of extra memory and CPU cycles - for example"...

- Says ONE SINGLE DAMN THING about gameplay, then...

"Fans in the stadium will all be unique and each will respond to the action!"

giphy.gif

I'll believe they're going to use extra power for gameplay when I see it.

(Especially when you have Ultimate Team players - in all their sports titles - screaming about skill gaps and 1v1s. You can't make AI use attributes AND be brain-dead for online play. It's one or the other, EA, and we all know which you'll pick.)

An addendum to the above post.

Next-gen consoles look to be, once again, splitting the user-base between a less-powerful console and a more-powerful one.

Many have been talking about the "Xbox Lockhart", otherwise known as Xbox Series S. Eurogamer published this article about it earlier.

So. We're going to have:

A) A low-power next-gen Xbox,
B) A PlayStation which (according to reports) may suffer from it's variable clock speeds,
C) The Xbox Series X, which is supposedly a console powerhouse.

If you're producing a multi-platform next-gen game (and we're in the era of "crossplay" so they all have to use the same gameplay code), whatever you make is going to be restricted to the specs of the lowest-powered console.

So for sports titles, particularly football games... When will we ever see the hardware truly taken advantage of, in order to create the most realistic simulation? Possibly never.

Next-gen consoles look to be, once again, splitting the user-base between a less-powerful console and a more-powerful one.

Many have been talking about the "Xbox Lockhart", otherwise known as Xbox Series S. Eurogamer published this article about it earlier.

So. We're going to have:

B) A PlayStation which (according to reports) may suffer from it's variable clock speeds,

If you're producing a multi-platform next-gen game (and we're in the era of "crossplay" so they all have to use the same gameplay code), whatever you make is going to be restricted to the specs of the lowest-powered console.

So for sports titles, particularly football games... When will we ever see the hardware truly taken advantage of, in order to create the most realistic simulation? Possibly never.
They could probably do a pretty good simulation now i think, they just dont want to as it wouldn't sell to today's online crowd. Most of them want face paced , overhead kick special goals etc

You can have the most powerful console out there... but my question is... is there any company right now or in the near future making games that are realistic simulations? Unless you mean graphics-wise...

I also think that those underpowered consoles will not differ in gameplay (....and when I say I "think" I really mean I don't know jack sh*t); the advantages come mostly from graphical and framerate differences. I think if someone already wants to do a realistic simulation, they can do it with the power currently available. 2-3 Teraflop differences between the consoles won't affect it. Not to mention power available in current PCs

You can have the most powerful console out there... but my question is... is there any company right now or in the near future making games that are realistic simulations? Unless you mean graphics-wise...

I also think that those underpowered consoles will not differ in gameplay (....and when I say I "think" I really mean I don't know jack sh*t); the advantages come mostly from graphical and framerate differences. I think if someone already wants to do a realistic simulation, they can do it with the power currently available. 2-3 Teraflop differences between the consoles won't affect it. Not to mention power available in current PCs
2k/MLB/Assetto Corsa/Session (skate game).
Football nope,and will never be,doesn't matter what hardware you have,that's just us being fooled thinking "ooh man next gen will be so good"

Still the best football games (console wise) have been on PS2/PS3/Xbox 360.

Football nope

Yeah I meant football. but with that in mind, now that you mention driving simulations... why is there a market for those types of games, that rely heavily on very sim aspects and not for soccer... In my case though, I'd prefer something in the middle, I just want the to get the basics and AI right... I dont think I would like a full blown sim playable game, I would rather they have something like that for FM.

Yeah I meant football. but with that in mind, now that you mention driving simulations... why is there a market for those types of games, that rely heavily on very sim aspects and not for soccer... In my case though, I'd prefer something in the middle, I just want the to get the basics and AI right... I dont think I would like a full blown sim playable game, I would rather they have something like that for FM.
When it comes to racing Sims,you can always make them more arcadey if you want,same thing with 2k,you can play a very assisted arcade basketball,and a very sim like game.

Here's the fun thing.
When competing in FIFA,it's all arcade gameplay right.
But when you compete in e-racing,it isn't allowed with any assists at all, everything is true sim,steering/braking/gears/traction.

So our beloved games are made for a crowd who insists on having this shitty game play.
I'm convinced there's a huge market for sim Football,just like it is with Basketball/Baseball/racing,but the companies doesn't have the balls to make that move.

A game like NBA 2k is the perfect example of "you can eat the cake but still have it"
Insane micro transactions,a card collecting/pack opening mode,pick up and play,a player career with a story mode,and two sim modes.
How about that dear EA/konami

So. We're going to have:

Well... not necessarily.
They could still develop last-gen (curren-gen) games for PS4/XBOX ONE/low-power next-gen XBOX AND a truly Next-Gen version for Next-Gen consoles.
At least that's what I think.

Back
Top Bottom