FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

1.04 update there now, think its a security patch
Goalgerd, thank you for your sliders. But I prefer a fast game of fifa with injurys and fouls (for more realistic football I play the other game). So can I just increase the marking for more fouls? I’ve tried 95 but because all players are sprinting its to high. So now I play with all sliders on 50 and marking on 60. Does increasing markingsliders helping to get more fouls? How do you think of that? I play on world class.

kind regards,
Joël

Only game I played since patch..
Slow gameplay - Legendary Skill.
Semi Assisted - Passing and shooting.

TBH, I am not finding the game enjoyable - There is zero pressure on the ball this year and the amount of back heel passing by the CPU makes me quit.

Played my normal way first half, then tried something different 2nd half.

Yeah. Looks like it's only really affecting Pros and high level players.
National news outlets are picking up on it at least.

BBC News - FIFA 20 error exposes players' details

Only game I played since patch..
Slow gameplay - Legendary Skill.
Semi Assisted - Passing and shooting.

TBH, I am not finding the game enjoyable - There is zero pressure on the ball this year and the amount of back heel passing by the CPU makes me quit.

Played my normal way first half, then tried something different 2nd half.

Just for my curiosity, would you try a game on normal speed, reducing sprint/pass speed to 40 (at least, if not more) and see if it changes the balance for you?

Just for my curiosity, would you try a game on normal speed, reducing sprint/pass speed to 40 (at least, if not more) and see if it changes the balance for you?

I will give it a go later and see what it does, but really hate playing on normal.
Might need to buy some LSD before I try it though to slow it down.

Too many people I respect (including lots of FUTers) saying the game feels faster after the patch, so I gotta concede that something's different.

I played a bunch of FUT Rivals yesterday and it was fast as fuck (and laggy). On the other hand, it was pretty darn fun, and the game multiplayer just "works" so much better than single player. Also, surprisingly, out of about a dozen games, I only had two high scoring games (including a beatdown by a much better player) and most were 1-0 or 2-1 type of games.

Too many people I respect (including lots of FUTers) saying the game feels faster after the patch, so I gotta concede that something's different.
Nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Well, saying that, a friend's told me they're playing on slow and it doesn't seem as buggy. So that would cushion the blow, but... I'll have another go tonight.

Just when I was starting to like the thing. Thank God I'm putting a PC together so I can mod this stuff to hell.

Goalgerd, thank you for your sliders. But I prefer a fast game of fifa with injurys and fouls (for more realistic football I play the other game). So can I just increase the marking for more fouls? I’ve tried 95 but because all players are sprinting its to high. So now I play with all sliders on 50 and marking on 60. Does increasing markingsliders helping to get more fouls? How do you think of that? I play on world class.

kind regards,
Joël
higher marking just makes players move closer together

Nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Well, saying that, a friend's told me they're playing on slow and it doesn't seem as buggy. So that would cushion the blow, but... I'll have another go tonight.

Just when I was starting to like the thing. Thank God I'm putting a PC together so I can mod this stuff to hell.

When even some of the big FUT guys are saying it's playing faster, then you know something might be up. I'm still not convinced myself, but so many people are saying this (and others say nothing has changed) that I just don't know anymore. I've gone back n forth between CM and FUT enough recently that my gauge for the gamespeed is all screwed up.

Good call on the PC. Looking at what the modders are posting on Twitter with what they can do with CM, I'm terribly envious. It's so amazingly pathetic that EA can't give us half of what these guys do.

My biggest concern is because how dissatisfied people are with FUT right now - and there seems to be a weekly fuckup by EA or new controversy - it's hard for me to imagine they're devoting much at all to fixing CM, let alone addressing our complaints about single player gameplay.

Damn, we have Year 2019 and players movement look like they are skating on ice, especially when they change direction. How is it possible after so many years of developement. Second big issue is completely unreal ball physics. No more to say, 1 minute playing is max what I can stand.

@Chris Davies
Hi pal. I’ve game shared fifa 20 and was sure you had said in the past that you played online co op together ? It’s just saying game timed out ?
Do you have any advice ?
Cheers

Actually, no bother pal. Must of been an EA server thing . Thanks

Last edited:
I'm getting bored of this game already. So many poorly executed aspects in gameplay to say nothing of the obvious career mode stuff ups. Ironic really when EA literally devoted specific time pre-release to talk about how they had solved the CPU selection issue.

I suppose its kind of funny that EA made a rod for its own back by releasing information in this way. They specifically called out how shooting execution would change i.e. finesse shots from closer would be more realistic (easier). The reality is the exact opposite. Playing on manual i have abandoned the use of finesse shooting even when clean through on goal (which happens far too often - that's another story) as its too random and usually gets too close to the GK or too far wide. Best to trust a straight forward blast and let power beat the GK.

Heading is a joke. Both offensively and in defence. The ball just bounces off of your players head and, again, feels completely random. Just played a game where i swung in a cross and my player was on the far post - literally could not miss, no defenders, all the time in the world to time it perfectly - glances off his bonce and sadly and slowly disappears past the post. Don't get me wrong i have scored headers, its just that there seems to be no way of accurately timing them.

I dunno wtf is happening in defence. Attempting to clear an aerial ball is basically a lucky dip. You get no distance with a headed clearance, that is when your player actually attempts too use his head and not that shitty fecking chest pass move that makes your players look like some demented limbo dancer.

I am already dominating possession and chances in every game so the initial challenge of the game is waning. The only reason i am not accumulating the same scores from FIFA 19 i.e. winning by several goals each game on Legendary is because of the nerfing described above.

Oh and for fuck sake, can EA please try and give the AI at least one more means of attacking other than a diagonal ball into the wings?!!! Christ Almighty.

@Matt10 has posted this great example of how AI defenders aren't just "a bit ropey" - they have less positional intelligence and ability to read the game than Sunday League footballers.

"Slow" exacerbates this stuff, "Normal" (and Ultimate) helps but doesn't completely fix it, as he says. It's horribly broken.

Like/retweet if you agree - doubt EA will give a fuck because it's an offline issue, but hey. If they've got the nerve to brag about how great Career Mode is (ha), they've got to fix this shit first.

Damn, we have Year 2019 and players movement look like they are skating on ice, especially when they change direction. How is it possible after so many years of developement. Second big issue is completely unreal ball physics. No more to say, 1 minute playing is max what I can stand.
this make me stop playing the game, clearly this gameplay is for people that play fut.. fast pace arcadey game..

I have no idea what they have done with the patches but it’s playing a brilliant game for me right now on Legendary, I’m getting my arse kicked quite a lot

@Matt10 has posted this great example of how AI defenders aren't just "a bit ropey" - they have less positional intelligence and ability to read the game than Sunday League footballers.

"Slow" exacerbates this stuff, "Normal" (and Ultimate) helps but doesn't completely fix it, as he says. It's horribly broken.

Like/retweet if you agree - doubt EA will give a fuck because it's an offline issue, but hey. If they've got the nerve to brag about how great Career Mode is (ha), they've got to fix this shit first.

Is this really a thing on Ultimate, Normal game speed? And against top teams?

@Matt10's calling this a bug, but I think this has more to do with just how they've scaled the defensive awareness stat. Like, I don't think I ever see this in Squad Battles against top teams with high chemistry, and I don't recall seeing it too much on Ultimate.

For me, there's a pretty glaring difference with how CPU defenders behave when you're say playing on World Class in CM, vs playing on Legendary against a 5 star 100 chem team in Squad Battles. I don't know that this is a bug or broken - it's just shitty programming in the way they've scaled the defensive stats.

This again for me is why you have to play on Ultimate to decrease these instances. I might play some SBs today and I'll be on the lookout, but it's so punishing on Legendary and Ultimate, no way this is a consistent thing at the highest levels of the game.

It's just shitty scaling, and unfortunately CM bears the brunt of the impact because FUT has the best defensive AI because of chemistry and higher rated players. That's my theory at least, and why I've banged the drum for them to match CM difficulty/AI to what's on offer in SBs. Otherwise we're getting subpar AI and crap experiences like posted above.

I've been trying to recreate @Matt10's video in Squad Battles on Legendary against top teams and yeah, it just doesn't really happen.

Shit, I can barely create a shot let alone goal in SBs in difficult matches.

Like I said, it's not broken; it's not a bug. It's just the way FIFA scales its defensive AI and behavior. It's the same with the stuttering movement of defenders running back, it's the same with some of their nonsensical marking, and it's the same with this: play against the best the game has to offer in terms of single player difficulty, and you don't really see this things by the CPU.

It's just really shitty programming. And you're always going to see more of it playing with lesser quality teams, and on lower difficulty levels (and for some reason more on Slow gamespeed...?).

Damn this game is good on manual controls online... If you want to drop back...big risk not getting out without assisted passing. Would be amazing seeing pro players use full manual settings...so many options on offense...but you can loose the ball in dangerous positions.

I've been trying to recreate @Matt10's video in Squad Battles on Legendary against top teams and yeah, it just doesn't really happen.

Shit, I can barely create a shot let alone goal in SBs in difficult matches.

Like I said, it's not broken; it's not a bug. It's just the way FIFA scales its defensive AI and behavior. It's the same with the stuttering movement of defenders running back, it's the same with some of their nonsensical marking, and it's the same with this: play against the best the game has to offer in terms of single player difficulty, and you don't really see this things by the CPU.

It's just really shitty programming. And you're always going to see more of it playing with lesser quality teams, and on lower difficulty levels (and for some reason more on Slow gamespeed...?).

It happens on Career Mode. I only test in Career Mode, as do the other guys who are well aware of the issue. It happens on all difficulties and at all speeds. I haven't played SBs, so can't comment.

Yes, it's poor programming. It's legacy code that has seeped its way into the frostbite engine. It is a bug because it shouldn't matter what team or set of players you choose to play. It's illogical and serves no purpose, is easily recreated and is reported by others. I'd qualify it a bug, but I'm biased, and honestly it may not be worth a breath of anything because EA won't listen as it doesn't affect their non-career mode players.

Edit: Also, we've kept track of CPU defending in general thanks to jrn, can post findings here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/CPU-Defending/m-p/8284546#M4564

It happens on Career Mode. I only test in Career Mode, as do the other guys who are well aware of the issue. It happens on all difficulties and at all speeds. I haven't played SBs, so can't comment.

Yes, it's poor programming. It's legacy code that has seeped its way into the frostbite engine. It is a bug because it shouldn't matter what team or set of players you choose to play. It's illogical and serves no purpose, is easily recreated and is reported by others. I'd qualify it a bug, but I'm biased, and honestly it may not be worth a breath of anything because EA won't listen as it doesn't affect their non-career mode players.

Edit: Also, we've kept track of CPU defending in general thanks to jrn, can post findings here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/CPU-Defending/m-p/8284546#M4564

I understand your point but it's not a bug and it's not broken. It's an important distinction. If it was a bug, we'd be seeing this in Squad Battles too at the highest levels of the game, but it doesn't happen, or at least nothing like the frequency of what's experienced in CM, especially on lower difficulty levels and against lower rated teams.

And it's quite striking in comparison. Ask anyone playing SBs this year, and unless you play on less than World Class, or against low chem teams, the CPU is absolutely brutal in defense, giving little space, making few mistakes in their marking and positioning, and I've not once seen an example of what you posted in the video. Again, if it was just that gameplay in general was bugged or broken, that wouldn't be the case.

Ultimately, the important point is that intelligent and solid defending that we want is in the game. The problem is just how it's scaled, so we're rarely seeing the best of the AI in CM since we don't play against teams with chemistry boosts or full of super high rated players... every game.

It's an important distinction to make to get this fixed - since it's more of a CM issue than general gameplay - but of course you're right in that they seem not to give a fuck about CM and its gameplay.

Could the DAA bug be the result of a too sensitive reading of the user input (tiny slight movement of the left joystick in a non intended direction) and anticipation by the AI to that input? I know there are strings in the ini of past fifa that are turned off by modders to prevent the cpu from reading the user controller input (@Ciais added something like that in is gameplay mod).

Last edited:
I understand your point but it's not a bug and it's not broken. It's an important distinction. If it was a bug, we'd be seeing this in Squad Battles too at the highest levels of the game, but it doesn't happen, or at least nothing like the frequency of what's experienced in CM, especially on lower difficulty levels and against lower rated teams.

And it's quite striking in comparison. Ask anyone playing SBs this year, and unless you play on less than World Class, or against low chem teams, the CPU is absolutely brutal in defense, giving little space, making few mistakes in their marking and positioning, and I've not once seen an example of what you posted in the video. Again, if it was just that gameplay in general was bugged or broken, that wouldn't be the case.

Ultimately, the important point is that intelligent and solid defending that we want is in the game. The problem is just how it's scaled, so we're rarely seeing the best of the AI in CM since we don't play against teams with chemistry boosts or full of super high rated players... every game.

It's an important distinction to make to get this fixed - since it's more of a CM issue than general gameplay - but of course you're right in that they seem not to give a fuck about CM and its gameplay.

I think we'll be stuck in the weeds determining what is a bug and what isn't. You can have a bug in a specific mode vs another. It's all relative to the mode you are playing in.

Again, and as I said in the video, it does happen on higher difficulties, against higher level teams. Again, that's in CM. I have no comment, or opinion, of what happens in Squad Battles.

Yes, I never stated that intelligent defending isn't in the game. I still like the game. I think it's got a tremendous base. Unfortunately, when you're in 1v1 positions on the flanks, this DAA issue appears too often in career mode matches. It creates a chain reaction and basically the match just changes completely.

Could the DAA bug be the result of a too sensitive reading of the user input (tiny slight movement of the left joystick in a non intended direction) and anticipation by the AI to that input? I know there are strings in the ini of past fifa that are turned off by modders to prevent the cpu from reading the user controller input (@Ciais added something like that in is gameplay mod).

I have no idea honestly. I wouldn't be surprised as the CPU does feed off the user input. In replay, you can see that I'm trying to see who the CPU player is looking at when they start that animation. Sometimes they're looking way behind the player they're supposed to be marking, or sometimes they're looking all the way at the full back about to overlap. What I've found is that you can lower marking significantly and they'll start dropping back further and then take a better angle. Problem with lower marking is unfortunately too passive and is not isolated to just that positioning, so significant adjustments would be needed.

I also tried to modify controls such as analog sprint set to on and off, no such luck.

I think we'll be stuck in the weeds determining what is a bug and what isn't. You can have a bug in a specific mode vs another. It's all relative to the mode you are playing in.

Again, and as I said in the video, it does happen on higher difficulties, against higher level teams. Again, that's in CM. I have no comment, or opinion, of what happens in Squad Battles.

Yes, I never stated that intelligent defending isn't in the game. I still like the game. I think it's got a tremendous base. Unfortunately, when you're in 1v1 positions on the flanks, this DAA issue appears too often in career mode matches. It creates a chain reaction and basically the match just changes completely.

I get that. I'm just seeing tons of people saying single player FIFA is too easy and the CPU plays like shit in defense, and my point is that if you're not playing Squad Battles, then you have an incomplete picture of the potential in the single player game, and if we could get EA to give us the same AI that's in SBs at it's best, you wouldn't see these complaints and we'd have a far better CM experience.

I'm just frustrated because the gameplay I want is in the game, it's just in the wrong stinkin game mode.

Oh and for fuck sake, can EA please try and give the AI at least one more means of attacking other than a diagonal ball into the wings?!!! Christ Almighty.

It's so prevalent and absurd looking. Constant 60-yard, diagonal pings from players that have no business doing so.

I get that. I'm just seeing tons of people saying single player FIFA is too easy and the CPU plays like shit in defense, and my point is that if you're not playing Squad Battles, then you have an incomplete picture of the potential in the single player game, and if we could get EA to give us the same AI that's in SBs at it's best, you wouldn't see these complaints and we'd have a far better CM experience.

I'm just frustrated because the gameplay I want is in the game, it's just in the wrong stinkin game mode.

I'm with you, man. I was seriously enjoying the gameplay before this last update. It was getting really good. Some very slight changes to sliders in CM, and I was feeling great while waiting for the CM fix. Then, all of a sudden, this recent update made the defense so passive, and when they went aggressive, they missed terribly.

Part of me just wants to wait till CM is fixed, because that means they'll hopefully fix it and maybe inadvertently fix the gameplay issues. Wishful thinking, I know.

Anymore news on the pc modder who fixed career mode for free, have EA taken his work on for their next patch, haven't played this game in a few days because career mode is still broken

Back
Top Bottom