FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

What about non-Tricks-Stick dribbling?
Is there any contextual dribbling like in FIFA 16 at all?
Can anyone show me anything about that?

IMO if you're not going to use all the tools the game gives you, you're going to struggle. At least on the higher difficulties. More than ever if it feels like each button press counts.

There's contextual animations, especially for the better players, but they only help create space in tight situations. If you don't use anything but left stick dribbling, you'll find it tough taking on defenders. No idea why you'd want to do that.

IMO if you're not going to use all the tools the game gives you, you're going to struggle. At least on the higher difficulties. More than ever if it feels like each button press counts.

There's contextual animations, especially for the better players, but they only help create space in tight situations. If you don't use anything but left stick dribbling, you'll find it tough taking on defenders. No idea why you'd want to do that.

Because dribbling is more about driving the ball at your feet, changing the ball direction and the pace of your drive, with a strong emphasis on timing it well according to your opponent direction and balance (a bit like judo if you like). No need of fancy move when dribbling. Messi, arguably the best dribbler of all time, rarely use any fancy move. His style is all about driving the ball with pace always at a short distance from his foot to keep control off the ball.

I've never seen such a huge variety of animations, whose sole purpose is dumbing down passing and taking all skill out of it. But apparently it's competitive because manual defending or something.

ezgif.com-crop.gif

No!
I think we already discuss this, you and me, in the PES/FIFA comparison thread.

I'm not saying I don't want to use other buttons or methods or tools.
I'm more than willing to use close control, or sprint, or other modifiers.
I just don't want to do 360s, or flip-flap, or elastico or that type of shit.

I'm talking about Messi's dribbling style. Not Ronaldinho's magic tricks.

@Chris Davies was absolutely right, the game is an absolute buggy mess, I'm uploading a video of the ai to YouTube now which will show they they just don't interact in the defensive side of the game at all

The only good news is sliders make a huge difference to game speed and formation settings, no more big gaps in Midfield

Oh and Volta is surprisingly responsive and fun from the one game so far I've played

@Chris Davies was absolutely right, the game is an absolute buggy mess, I'm uploading a video of the ai to YouTube now which will show they they just don't interact in the defensive side of the game at all

The only good news is sliders make a huge difference to game speed and formation settings, no more big gaps in Midfield

Oh and Volta is surprisingly responsive and fun from the one game so far I've played
Could you post a link here when done mate?

What about non-Tricks-Stick dribbling?
Is there any contextual dribbling like in FIFA 16 at all?
Can anyone show me anything about that?
You and I agree on the dribbling aspect being lost since fifa 17 Chuny. I must say, I am enjoying dribbling in Fifa 20, contextual, left stick only dribbling. So in that aspect at least, I'm happy

look at the leverkusen midfield when dortmund attack, traffic cones

Player instructions looks like to me. The central midfielders are all set to not come back on defence I assume. Try the revert all players instructions for both, and it should balance things out...hopefully. Sliders can't override those instructions unfortunately.

Because dribbling is more about driving the ball at your feet, changing the ball direction and the pace of your drive, with a strong emphasis on timing it well according to your opponent direction and balance (a bit like judo if you like). No need of fancy move when dribbling. Messi, arguably the best dribbler of all time, rarely use any fancy move. His style is all about driving the ball with pace always at a short distance from his foot to keep control off the ball.

Messi is a terrible example though - he's otherworldly. And even he'll use the odd ball roll or shoulder feint. If you're playing as Messi in this, you can absolutely school defenders without skills. But most dribblers these days who are taking on defenders use some type of feint, even if it's just a simple step over.

You don't need to play with 4-5 star skillers, but this year taking on a CPU defender is more challenging than before, and so it obviously helps.

No!
I think we already discuss this, you and me, in the PES/FIFA comparison thread.

I'm not saying I don't want to use other buttons or methods or tools.
I'm more than willing to use close control, or sprint, or other modifiers.
I just don't want to do 360s, or flip-flap, or elastico or that type of shit.

I'm talking about Messi's dribbling style. Not Ronaldinho's magic tricks.

See above. You def don't need the exotic stuff. Just the new 3 star heel to heel move is all you need, along with some ball rolls.

It's just, for better or worse, the game is built now around the 1-on-1, with skills at the heart of that, so if you're not using those tools, you're just handicapping yourself. I don't think I even know a 5 star move, so they're not essential, but I know that if I was better at them, I'd be better at the game. Just the way FIFA is.

Try the revert all players instructions for both, and it should balance things out...hopefully. Sliders can't override those instructions unfortunately.

Does the revert trick work with 1 controller? That is, can you do the revert by switching sides temporarily during the game or do you have to do it before the game?

Player instructions looks like to me. The central midfielders are all set to not come back on defence I assume. Try the revert all players instructions for both, and it should balance things out...hopefully. Sliders can't override those instructions unfortunately.

from 5m.50 to 6m.00 their instructions must be to be statues

Messi is a terrible example though - he's otherworldly. And even he'll use the odd ball roll or shoulder feint. If you're playing as Messi in this, you can absolutely school defenders without skills. But most dribblers these days who are taking on defenders use some type of feint, even if it's just a simple step over.

You don't need to play with 4-5 star skillers, but this year taking on a CPU defender is more challenging than before, and so it obviously helps.

See above. You def don't need the exotic stuff. Just the new 3 star heel to heel move is all you need, along with some ball rolls.

It's just, for better or worse, the game is built now around the 1-on-1, with skills at the heart of that, so if you're not using those tools, you're just handicapping yourself. I don't think I even know a 5 star move, so they're not essential, but I know that if I was better at them, I'd be better at the game. Just the way FIFA is.

What's that?
I mean can you upload a few videos? Not as evidence, you don't need to prove anything. Just to show me how it looks and how it can be used.

Does the revert trick work with 1 controller? That is, can you do the revert by switching sides temporarily during the game or do you have to do it before the game?
I don't think you can switch sides with one controller in a CM. However, you can apply the revert to user only and still get decent results.

look at the leverkusen midfield when dortmund attack, traffic cones from 5m.50 to 6m.00
Yeah that's really bad,and exactly how I've been experiencing this game.
Tried it on both WC and ULT, sometimes a lower difficulty can play differently,but nope.
Cheers mate.
General feeling (besides this issue) on gameplay?

"the new 3 star heel to heel move is all you need, along with some ball rolls."

Here's the trick:

And here's an example of how things have changed this year. First, I create space and beat a man with a simple change of direction with a shitty dribbler, using the defenders momentum. Then, with my best dribbler, I get owned when I try some stepovers. Last year, those step overs would've frozen the defender 8-9 times out of ten.

Just spent two hours online with a good friend of mine in co-op seasons.

Haven’t had that much fun in a football game for a long time. The slower pace really works well in multiplayer.

Had so many interesting match ups too thanks to the matchmaking.

I really wish you could choose kits etc before the game kicks off though - I hate it when you play against kids and they’re in the third kit at home for no reason whatsoever. Also there’s another bug: when you finish a match, both you and your co-op partner have to come out the entire thing and then invite each other. Really annoying and they better patch it.

This is a very good version of FIFA, can’t stop playing.

I can pretty much guarantee that everyone is going to despise the defensive system at first. I did. But within the context of what FIFA is doing - making it more skill based, thus more about 1-on-1 situations - it does get better with time. I find that's the case in both games - there are often features that I hate at first but grow on me.

Again, there's AI issues. But once you get the hang of how the game wants you to defend, the experience improves. For me at least it has.

It's brutally punishing though. You've got to control and switch to the right man, otherwise you're screwed. You gotta be patient and conservative with your tackles, or you're screwed. And it's critical to master quick player switching and the new speed jockey.

Also, because positional and AI changes, and the more spacing, tactics and formations are more important. If there's a gap in either, you're screwed.

I recommend giving the game a fair shake before coming to conclusions. I hated it at first but kinda loving it now. My 2 cents at least.

Just spent two hours online with a good friend of mine in co-op seasons.

Haven’t had that much fun in a football game for a long time.
Mate, I hate to do this, but. Literally ten days ago, about the other game.

This is the best football game I’ve played in a LONG time.
Let's be honest. We're both desperate for a great game and sometimes that means either we judge it too early, or we overlook things and they QUICKLY become annoying. Maybe give it a little longer...!

Back
Top Bottom