FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

This is definitely harder than the demo. Love the slower speed of it in default, can see me pouring lots of hours into multiplayer seasons this year.

Again, they're the same thing. Early Access is early access to the full game, you get all the patches that retail gets. Think about it, they have no reason to force you to play an unpatched title (when the patch could fix severe bugs), which put you off buying the game, thren say "if you buy the full game it's fixed".

Bearing that in mind, with the Volta patch - yes, there's more pressure from the AI, but at a deeper point (approaching the final third). The midfield still doesn't exist, and individuality doesn't really exist either. Playing as Aston Villa, every player is as capable of hitting great passes as the next guy, and dribbling as well as the next guy. Nobody stands out, and the AI just ping-pongs around and dribbles like Ronaldo with the most average players.

It's very difficult against the best teams, for all the reasons I've posted videos of previously - the AI score wonderful goals (breaking their bones in the process) but from unrealistic, horrible-looking ping-pong while your defenders just watch players run past down the wings etc...

Chris, I posted a video showing the CPU pressuring me all the way back to my own friggin goal line. You say there's no pressure; I post visual proof there is. I mean, c'mon.

I think you know well enough that I've played shit tons of FIFA. You know I hated 19 for how easy it was. I know you must have seen my posts totally bashing Early Access gameplay. It's not the same; it's just not.

All I can say is that what you're describing is not the game I'm playing. In fact, speaking of the CPU scoring - I've never been more impressed. Except for rebound goals (a big issue that needs fixing), I can't think of the CPU scoring any bullshit goals on me. Not like last year, where all they could score were from volleys, one time shots, and bullshit headers. And I call total bullshit on teams like Aston Villa playing ping pong football and dribbling as well as the next guy. Not in the game I'm playing. It's just... really fucking hard to stop them.

There's problems to be sure - lots of em - but the way you talk about it is so over the top and clearly not from someone who's played the most recent version.

I really, REALLY like this.

The Career bug thing is so annoying and an immersion breaker for me though. Man City playing with their kids in an important Premier League fixture? Come on EA sort it out.

Apart from that, the CPU is far more aggressive in Ultimate compared to FIFA 19.

Scoring goals in this just feels so damn good. I’ve only played career mode matches so far and I’m looking forward to taking it online. Game is so much slower than FIFA 19 too.

I really hope they patch the team selection bug though as I’ll only be playing this in multiplayer if they don’t.

I really, REALLY like this.

The Career bug thing is so annoying and an immersion breaker for me though. Man City playing with their kids in an important Premier League fixture? Come on EA sort it out.

Apart from that, the CPU is far more aggressive in Ultimate compared to FIFA 19.

Scoring goals in this just feels so damn good. I’ve only played career mode matches so far and I’m looking forward to taking it online. Game is so much slower than FIFA 19 too.

I really hope they patch the team selection bug though as I’ll only be playing this in multiplayer if they don’t.

I hate you Mikhail. Just know that.

Real Madrid v.s Bayern

EFUx8ndWwAEF8ke

WTF is that Ajax player doing there!?
:LMAO:

Just a few more positive opinions and I don't know how I'll be able to let the weekend pass without buy it you monsters:LOL:

Nice to see some good reviews ,still think it's far from good,yet!
But I'm keeping an open mind to it.
Main issue,like it's been for ages is CPU lineups (and not seeing them)
Have they even comment that you can't see the CPU lineup before a game?

Main issue,like it's been for ages is CPU lineups (and not seeing them)
Have they even comment that you can't see the CPU lineup before a game?
Nope. No mention of it on their behalf, ever.

You can at least use a second controller to take a look, which is (a pain in the arse but) welcome. Especially when it means you can fix their crazy team selections.

Nope. No mention of it on their behalf, ever.

You can at least use a second controller to take a look, which is (a pain in the arse but) welcome. Especially when it means you can fix their crazy team selections.
That's a solution ,though it's only being a fix for your 38 league games,the remaining 342 is being kids Vs kids.
I'm really baffled that they haven't got an option for seeing the CPU lineup.

Still sceptical to this game.
Fingers crossed though

Wildly diverging opinions about this game. I usually buy both games. But not sure this year. Blown away by PES (apart from the acres of room between defence, midfield and attack). So my question is this. Does FIFA 20 play a more realistic game of football than FIFA 19 with sliders?

Wildly diverging opinions about this game. I usually buy both games. But not sure this year. Blown away by PES (apart from the acres of room between defence, midfield and attack). So my question is this. Does FIFA 20 play a more realistic game of football than FIFA 19 with sliders?
You have to break "realistic" into different categories - positional intelligence, player ID, ball physics, player physics, etc...

For me, defensive positional intelligence is crazy now. They watch you (or your AI opponent) run by far too often. Is that better or worse than 19's defending? I don't know.

I don't feel any difference between one Aston Villa player and another, possibly less so than 19, but again, I couldn't be sure, and maybe I'll feel differently after a full season.

Ball physics... They're still mad. Less mad is still mad (40 yard headers with enough power to kill a cow).

Other physics - every replay I've looked at in close-up has had something physically impossible happening somewhere.

Another patch might help all of this. Or, they might listen to all the FUT guys who say it's too slow and boring now (I've seen this said many times on Reddit) and... God knows what will happen then.

I keep coming back to it for the goals. The goal variation is wonderful, and if it wasn't for terrible bone-breaking physics, I'd be loving some of the wonderful strikes the AI has scored against me. But I'm finding the build-up and flow of the match nothing like real football (you asked about realism specifically).

In the other game, I'll put passing moves together and feel some weird pride at making all the right decisions. In this FIFA, I don't feel like you can ever really make a wrong decision. So I feel no joy in working an opportunity. The opportunity is just, there. Waiting.

Others are disagreeing with me but I'm playing with the latest patch and these are my personal feelings, can't say much else. Other than, I played FIFA more than the other game last year, and was told by certain people I was almost defending the game too much. This I'm just not enjoying at all, and I really want to.

I switched to semi/manual passing and a lower difficulty just to see if that added to the freedom, and it just became a "lose the ball in midfield then regain it again and lose it again until it finishes 0-0" simulator. I didn't feel any joy passing with any particular player, it was just... Bland, cloned... Not fun.

The lack of fouls in single player is so annoying it’s identical to the other game in that department.

But it does so, SO much so well. I’m in love with the pace of it and I never thought I’d say that about a FIFA game.

I bet the FUT players are hating the pace of this? You can’t just hold sprint anymore.

Scoring SO MANY different types of goals. And the AI has scored varied goals against me.

Really enjoying it.

I paused my Watford save to post the above.

And just as I kicked off, the CPU dives in with two feet. Straight red card!

I didn't play this but I am quite surprised watching videos, how things that I dislike in PES has been "added" to this year game. Such as AI defenders tracking attackers deep in their box when they should stop their run to set the attacker offside (ie the "funny" video just above) and the attackers standing at the midfield line instead of being interested in a bit of defensive duty. The last thing makes teams broken into two blocks and inevitably leads to bypassing the midfield.

Just can't get into this, and I'm really trying to force myself to like it so that I can enjoy the atmosphere etc... But the more I read people warming to it, the more I just don't see anything to love.

You just get the ball and run. Everyone runs, at full speed, all the time. Yes, the AI press more since the last update, and it's harder. But it's just not football. There's no difference between players. I'm running/dribbling as successfully with one guy as the next, through wide open spaces.

The best teams beat you, sure. Because your defenders don't defend (and neither do theirs). They play like they're in a sulk and don't want to do anything.

The "skating" feel is ridiculous. There's a new thing now (at least on semi/manual passing) where a player will be running past where you're putting the ball, and they sort of slam on the brakes (in true cartoon fashion, sliding like their feet are tyres) and start "homing in" on the ball, from the edge of an invisible circle around it. Difficult to explain but you can see your player being kept away by this shrinking invisible radius. It looks, and feels, horrible and so, so far away from football.

Shooting is great but other than that. Sliding through acres of space, with any player, and never *ever* having to build up the play, is A) not football and B) so boring. And you've got the AI powering passes at the speed of light again, meaning the CPU pass power sliders need to be lowered.

The death knell was the realisation that I'm using the sliders identically to 19 - lowering pace to try and force more of a midfield and to create physical battles, lowering acceleration to help stop the sliding, lowering pass speed to make passing less ball-made-of-glass and more football-like... In other words, I'm trying to fix all the problems I was trying to fix in 19. So what's the point in 20?

Alright @Chris Davies, just for you, a video tale of my most recent match. I think if you reread what you've posted and compare to the videos below, you'll find that what you're experiencing in the Early Access version is simply not true for the release build.

This is on Ultimate difficulty. All settings at default.

First, here's how the game starts. You'll note from the start that the CPU is pressuring me in my own half. Look how much better they now mark and track you. Watch how a nice skill move skins a defender, but the CPU defender rushes back immediately. This never used to happen. Notice how at 1:30 I stop the CPU's counter attack and force them to pass back to break me down. This happens a couple times. And see how the CPU is sometimes even double-teaming me in midfield? At one point they even triple team me.

Notice how at 2:50 I try to dribble sprint down the wing. I do get to midfield but then I'm closed down and stopped. Did you see how almost all the CPU's chances came from me getting pressured in my own half and giving it away? Hardly the CPU just letting me sprint/dribble down the field without reacting. Notice again how at the end of the video the CPU prevents me from sprinting down and exploiting the wing?

I lost this game 2-0. Here's the first goal by the CPU. Where's the bullshit play by the CPU? Where's the physics defying, leg-breaking animations? This simply comes down to me giving the ball away, then a dumbass sliding tackle in the box by Sakho. I got punished for my mistake in a realistic fashion. No complaints here.

Another passage of play I really liked. Again, the CPU is tough to break down. Look at how I struggle to create space, but then earn a foul on the edge of the box. A great save on the free kick, then more difficulties breaking down the CPU. And low and behold - a penalty! (Don't get excited; fouls are still in short supply.) It ends with a nice block by the GK (still getting used to the new free/penalty kick systems).

Here's the second goal by the CPU. Now, this is where I get frustrated, because I feel like we just can't close down the CPU properly, like they can us. I needed to especially close down the striker before the cross, but I gave him too much space. I hate this part of the game, but maybe it's my weakness.

But two things. One, van Aanholt (my LB) has low defensive workrate and in this game I have him set to always join in the attack. So I'm getting punished for my tactics here. The other thing though, is again where's the terrible BS play by the CPU? No BS that I can see - just good attacking play taking advantage of my open defense (and the frustrating defensive mechanics). Yes, there's issues here but I can see where I could have played better, and that's a big change for me from last year where I felt most goals were just pure BS.

Last, here's what successful defending against the CPU looks like in 20. First, because of how powerful pace is again, you must predict runs and control the defender to drop deep. Then you'll see how friggin tough it is to mark CPU attackers. It takes all I have just to mark them, and it's rarely worth attempting a tackle. There's good and bad here for sure, but it's not really anything wrong with how the CPU is playing. Again, I actually think the CPU's attacking play is hugely improved and so much better than before. It's just the defensive side doesn't feel quite good enough to match them, and it's tough as hell to stop them.

Here's how the game ended. The most obvious issue, and my biggest gripe at the moment, is the lack of tackling against the CPU. Maybe it's just me, but this feels really off.
Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 10.59.01 AM.png

The game ain't perfect. Far from it. But you rarely see the BS attacking play from the CPU anymore. The pace of play is great, the CPU is tough to break down, dribbling is awesome but is no longer OP, shooting is excellent, individuality has never been better, stats have never meant more (which is also why FUT is more Pay2Win than ever), passing is tough, and the CPU has plenty of variety in how they'll beat you. There's not enough fouls, defending against the CPU feels unfair and frustrating at times, rebounds are a big problem, manual defending still isn't rewarded enough, and CM is a disaster.

But overall this is playing quite different than the Early Access (which I hope you can see finally), and for me far better than 19, if only because it's a fun, great challenge breaking down the CPU.

from the things you say and this bugs it feels like fifa 20 is only half done other half will be done in september next year :D

Also, stats and individuality are huge this year. The way they overhauled everyone's pace stats especially has a dramatic effect. On one hand it's great for realism, but when you think about it, it's genius by EA: Stats and individuality or so important now, you're screwed in FUT if you don't have a competitive team, forcing people to grind (or buy packs!) to keep up. It's more Pay2Win than ever.

Funny how something that benefits FUT actually works well for single player. On one hand, it's kinda frustrating - I go into matches with Crystal Palace against the top teams knowing that I have almost zero chance. But it's pretty darn realistic. Think about the state of the EPL, and how it's almost two leagues - the top four, or six, then everyone else. That's how it feels.

I didn't play this but I am quite surprised watching videos, how things that I dislike in PES has been "added" to this year game. Such as AI defenders tracking attackers deep in their box when they should stop their run to set the attacker offside (ie the "funny" video just above) and the attackers standing at the midfield line instead of being interested in a bit of defensive duty. The last thing makes teams broken into two blocks and inevitably leads to bypassing the midfield.

Started with 19 when they changed the tactics system. They said the old tactics didn't have much impact (but positioning was logical and quite good), now they are moving in the pes direction where positioning seems more rigid and players often don't react to opponent runs. It's a head scratcher because logical positioning was always fifa's strength (excluding some iterations that were build with more space by default and were all about counter attacking, like 15) and the biggest reason to choose fifa over pes.

Back
Top Bottom