FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

You don't unlock Ultimate difficulty in FIFA, do you? You can play it in Career from the off I thought? (This was the case in FIFA 19 anyway)...

You don't need to unlock it.

If your main issue is how easy it is to break down the cpu defence, Legendary is the strongest AI defence anyway.
See this table:
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/f...ead-demo-10-9-2019.80260/page-30#post-3416347

Reaction speeds are higher on Ultimate though.

I’m playing the trial still on EA Access mate

That's gotta be what's going then. The retail version can't be the same as Early Access. I was doing the same exact stuff you posted in those clips, but not since playing the retail.

There's enough people now saying this in different places, I think we can all but confirm it's not the same gameplay.

Nah, definitely not. Something's odd going on, 'cause I'm not the only one who's saying this is playing different than the Early Access. Think I've seen @Matt10 agree too.

Those clips that you posted look like the Early Access version, which was horrible. As long as there's not an AI fail by the CPU - as in they don't recognize the threat like they should - then I'm finding it darn tough.
Was there a patch to download upon unlocking it, or did the game need redownloading or anything? Because if not, it's the same game.

Did you play much after the Volta patch a few days ago? Because I posted a screenshot in here of my match stats after getting beat 1-0 (previously I was winning 3-0/4-0 at half time, let alone full time).

As I said at the time, harder = yes, better = debatable. It felt like a giant leap back to FIFA 19 in some ways, for me - and midfield play just doesn't exist. IMO. (With the Volta patch.)

I’m playing the trial still on EA Access mate

Here, check this out. Short sample obviously but watch how the CPU tracks me pretty aggressively, even in my own half. This is how it's been for me. That's my two best dribblers and in year's past a basic skill move would skin them. Early Access too. But I'm not seeing that at all.

The early access trial is the release version. If you buy it then when the full game unlocks there is just a small patch downloaded, you might not even notice it, but all it does is get rid of any 'trial' mentions and icons. At least that's what happened last year. So if there are any changes to the gameplay it's down to the volta patch.

Was there a patch to download upon unlocking it, or did the game need redownloading or anything? Because if not, it's the same game.

Did you play much after the Volta patch a few days ago? Because I posted a screenshot in here of my match stats after getting beat 1-0 (previously I was winning 3-0/4-0 at half time, let alone full time).

As I said at the time, harder = yes, better = debatable. It felt like a giant leap back to FIFA 19 in some ways, for me - and midfield play just doesn't exist. IMO. (With the Volta patch.)

I've no idea any more. There was a small patch, but it was the one I think they said was just for Volta. All I can say is that my experience right now is not what @DarthKebab posted in those clips.

For me, this isn't debatable. It's much better than 19. I mean, just the CPU's ability to mark you is such an improvement.

Midfield play is def an issue, at least when it comes to us slowing/preventing the CPU buildup. IMO the CPU is pretty good now at making it difficult to move up the pitch. But on our side, they can get through so easily, it's super frustrating. I'm often finishing matches with like half or under the CPU's tackle amount. Maybe this can be fixed with sliders, without making it too easy again; I don't know.

All I can say is I despised the Early Access gameplay with a passion but I'm enjoying this.

Here, check this out. Short sample obviously but watch how the CPU tracks me pretty aggressively, even in my own half. This is how it's been for me. That's my two best dribblers and in year's past a basic skill move would skin them. Early Access too. But I'm not seeing that at all.

I like what I’m seeing here! Aggression!

Don’t do this to me man...

Fuck it let's buy it
I already did because I’m an idi0t and I make the same mistakes every year.

Said I wasn’t gonna buy PES (I was in the minority that didn’t think much of the demo). Still bought it.

Wasn’t gonna buy this. Caved in and ordered it last week.

It’s arriving tomorrow :LOL:

I already did because I’m an idi0t and I make the same mistakes every year.

Said I wasn’t gonna buy PES (I was in the minority that didn’t think much of the demo). Still bought it.

Wasn’t gonna buy this. Caved in and ordered it last week.

It’s arriving tomorrow :LOL:

OK I won't buy it and wait for your honest opinion. If you screwed up, you tell me so I won't. OK? :D

I like what I’m seeing here! Aggression!

Don’t do this to me man...

I know, I'm sorry!

But I was thinking about how, one of the things I hated about recent FIFAs was that there was no fear in taking on a defender. This is something I really liked about PES. In FIFA 19, dribbling against the CPU was way OP, and if I lost it was pretty easy to race back. No more.

Now, they've really made stats matter even more now, so it could be that if I had better players, or some pace whores (Zala is quite successful for me), then maybe it'd be different and it'd feel too easy again.

But if your main criticism of 19 was the difficulty level, like me, then I'd suggest def giving this a go.

I know, I'm sorry!

But I was thinking about how, one of the things I hated about recent FIFAs was that there was no fear in taking on a defender. This is something I really liked about PES. In FIFA 19, dribbling against the CPU was way OP, and if I lost it was pretty easy to race back. No more.

Now, they've really made stats matter even more now, so it could be that if I had better players, or some pace whores (Zala is quite successful for me), then maybe it'd be different and it'd feel too easy again.

But if your main criticism of 19 was the difficulty level, like me, then I'd suggest def giving this a go.
I’ve said over and over again. I can put up with the game speed being a little fast or the AI being weird. But I’m dying for a challenging FIFA Career Mode again.

I am still on my origin access trial. I have not tried career mode, only friendlies. The trial got a patch yesterday. After that, the game has been playing much better. Like I said, defensive AI still needs some work but it's night and day from what it was prior to the patch. I have sliders at default and have not even tried Matt's fix with the player instructions. The game / trial was patched for the better gameplay wise.

Thanks for trying that much appreciated, I’ll uninstall and buy it on Friday, fingers crossed

Two games played on my CM (Borussia MG).
First game on ULT (15 min)
And i could run with ease down the wing,the Ai even backs off when entering the penalty box, they're more or less jockeying,no pressure at all.
2nd game same result but on WC.

Vanilla sliders.
What I liked is how the CPU played ,not as frantic as before.
Gameplay felt good,obviously having no defence to break down is going to be old real fast
They seriously needs to patch this.
I know defenders backed off on 19 as well but not like this.

Derek Rae is doing the BL this year,nice touch!
Fix the defending and it's a pretty decent game,

Btw didn't do any altering to lineups or tactics for the CPU.

Two games played on my CM (Borussia MG).
First game on ULT (15 min)
And i could run with ease down the wing,the Ai even backs off when entering the penalty box, they're more or less jockeying,no pressure at all.
2nd game same result but on WC.

Vanilla sliders.
What I liked is how the CPU played ,not as frantic as before.
Gameplay felt good,obviously having no defence to break down is going to be old real fast
They seriously needs to patch this.
I know defenders backed off on 19 as well but not like this.

Derek Rae is doing the BL this year,nice touch!
Fix the defending and it's a pretty decent game,

Btw didn't do any altering to lineups or tactics for the CPU.

EA access or you got the full game?

EA access or you got the full game?
Still have the EA acces version,not paying for this if it's like this.
Surely no difference between an updated EA access and full release?
Have people had updates (not the Volta one) between access and full release?

The Ai defending looked like the ones you put up.
Jockey and back off
That's why I tried it on two different difficulties.

Last edited:
Just to be fair and balanced (since I've been so positive today), defending can really be shit against the CPU. Playing against a top team, I feel pretty helpless.

For example, here's me defending against Chelsea. My players in red. I've got four defenders in the box marking 2 attackers in pairs; three on the edge of the box doing shit all. My CDM ends up marking Abraham, so there's three Chelsea attackers wide open for an easy goal.

This is probably the worst I've seen, and usually it's fairly manageable, but sometimes the defensive AI in this game makes no footballing sense whatsoever.

Untitled 6.png

Just can't get into this, and I'm really trying to force myself to like it so that I can enjoy the atmosphere etc... But the more I read people warming to it, the more I just don't see anything to love.

You just get the ball and run. Everyone runs, at full speed, all the time. Yes, the AI press more since the last update, and it's harder. But it's just not football. There's no difference between players. I'm running/dribbling as successfully with one guy as the next, through wide open spaces.

The best teams beat you, sure. Because your defenders don't defend (and neither do theirs). They play like they're in a sulk and don't want to do anything.

The "skating" feel is ridiculous. There's a new thing now (at least on semi/manual passing) where a player will be running past where you're putting the ball, and they sort of slam on the brakes (in true cartoon fashion, sliding like their feet are tyres) and start "homing in" on the ball, from the edge of an invisible circle around it. Difficult to explain but you can see your player being kept away by this shrinking invisible radius. It looks, and feels, horrible and so, so far away from football.

Shooting is great but other than that. Sliding through acres of space, with any player, and never *ever* having to build up the play, is A) not football and B) so boring. And you've got the AI powering passes at the speed of light again, meaning the CPU pass power sliders need to be lowered.

The death knell was the realisation that I'm using the sliders identically to 19 - lowering pace to try and force more of a midfield and to create physical battles, lowering acceleration to help stop the sliding, lowering pass speed to make passing less ball-made-of-glass and more football-like... In other words, I'm trying to fix all the problems I was trying to fix in 19. So what's the point in 20?

@Chris Davies you have probably played it more than me,I instantly took a dislike to it,all of the stuff you describe,plus I though player movement looked so bad,the worst I've seen in a FIFA game (since 14 for me).

Tried it again today,though it felt and looked better,I'm not seeing myself playing this for a year,not to mention buying it on release.
I'm going to keep my trial version and play it every update to test it,if it's below 19s standard,not touching it!

Not an idea you want to hear right now,but go back and play 17-18 or even 19 (which we both find ok)
I'm having some great games on 18 now, especially since going broadcast cam.
Not what you want to do with a brand new game out,but beats playing a bad new one

Just can't get into this, and I'm really trying to force myself to like it so that I can enjoy the atmosphere etc... But the more I read people warming to it, the more I just don't see anything to love.

You just get the ball and run. Everyone runs, at full speed, all the time. Yes, the AI press more since the last update, and it's harder. But it's just not football. There's no difference between players. I'm running/dribbling as successfully with one guy as the next, through wide open spaces.

The best teams beat you, sure. Because your defenders don't defend (and neither do theirs). They play like they're in a sulk and don't want to do anything.

The "skating" feel is ridiculous. There's a new thing now (at least on semi/manual passing) where a player will be running past where you're putting the ball, and they sort of slam on the brakes (in true cartoon fashion, sliding like their feet are tyres) and start "homing in" on the ball, from the edge of an invisible circle around it. Difficult to explain but you can see your player being kept away by this shrinking invisible radius. It looks, and feels, horrible and so, so far away from football.

Shooting is great but other than that. Sliding through acres of space, with any player, and never *ever* having to build up the play, is A) not football and B) so boring. And you've got the AI powering passes at the speed of light again, meaning the CPU pass power sliders need to be lowered.

The death knell was the realisation that I'm using the sliders identically to 19 - lowering pace to try and force more of a midfield and to create physical battles, lowering acceleration to help stop the sliding, lowering pass speed to make passing less ball-made-of-glass and more football-like... In other words, I'm trying to fix all the problems I was trying to fix in 19. So what's the point in 20?

Chris are you playing retail or Early Access? Cause if you're playing retail, I'd love to see some video of you just running at the CPU all the time without needing to pass or build up. Because I sure as hell can't.

Any news of a day one patch for everything broken? Should be able to sit down later today and give this a go

I think the VOLTA patch earlier this week is the day one patch.
It will be weeks before EA patch the bugs, they will concentrate on the issues and concerns of the FUT players before fixing career mode and other issues.

But I am hoping they don't take too long with gameplay fixes, as the game is in a complete unplayable state single player at present.

Last edited:
Chris are you playing retail or Early Access? Cause if you're playing retail, I'd love to see some video of you just running at the CPU all the time without needing to pass or build up. Because I sure as hell can't.
Again, they're the same thing. Early Access is early access to the full game, you get all the patches that retail gets. Think about it, they have no reason to force you to play an unpatched title (when the patch could fix severe bugs), which put you off buying the game, thren say "if you buy the full game it's fixed".

Bearing that in mind, with the Volta patch - yes, there's more pressure from the AI, but at a deeper point (approaching the final third). The midfield still doesn't exist, and individuality doesn't really exist either. Playing as Aston Villa, every player is as capable of hitting great passes as the next guy, and dribbling as well as the next guy. Nobody stands out, and the AI just ping-pongs around and dribbles like Ronaldo with the most average players.

It's very difficult against the best teams, for all the reasons I've posted videos of previously - the AI score wonderful goals (breaking their bones in the process) but from unrealistic, horrible-looking ping-pong while your defenders just watch players run past down the wings etc...

I think the VOLTA patch earlier this week is the day one patch.
Awful news if true. There's so much wrong with the gameplay, let alone the Career Mode bugs.

Just got home from work to find a copy of FIFA 20 that’s been posted through the letterbox, I love my postie (and Simply Games, if you’ve never used them - cheap, excellent service and you always get the game a day early in my experience).

Going to install in a minute. Bought the PS4 Pro version this time simply because I can’t play football games with the Xbox controller, it feels weird.

Anyway, let’s see if it’s as bad as some are saying...

Back
Top Bottom