FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

All values to zero? Player instructions doesn't have a zero value, it's just goes to (Default) in their chosen instruction. So instead of "Free Roam" it will change to Balanced (Default). Sorry I just want to make sure!

Lax is streaming right now, on PS4, legendary

https://www.twitch.tv/laxing_
Not sure what the day one patch will bring but that stream was encouraging to see. A lot better from what I have been playing. Thanks Matt for all your work

I’ve read that Ultimate Team in Ultimate difficulty is very challenging.

But it’s easy on Career Mode.

Why/how does this happen?

And I’m even considering trying FUT this year. I’ve just watched a tutorial video on how to get started and it looks...grindy but maybe it could be fun?

I’ve read that Ultimate Team in Ultimate difficulty is very challenging.

But it’s easy on Career Mode.

Why/how does this happen?

And I’m even considering trying FUT this year. I’ve just watched a tutorial video on how to get started and it looks...grindy but maybe it could be fun?

The only game mode where I've personally found Ultimate difficulty to be nigh impossible is in Squad Battles. I didn't play much last year, but I went pretty hard for several months in FIFA 18. I did well enough to finish in Elite 1 every week (that's the tier below top 100), but I was playing the CPU on Legendary. I had a pretty decent team at the time, but I played a squad that was only rated in the 60s on Ultimate one day, and boy, they were unreal. Completely superhuman. I believe I was down 2-0 within the first 15 minutes and I never touched Ultimate again in Squad Battles.

I'm even considering trying FUT this year. I’ve just watched a tutorial video on how to get started and it looks...grindy but maybe it could be fun?
The video I posted of the AI midfielder smashing the ball into his teammates face - on purpose, it was part of a one-two - was from FUT Squad Battles, Ultimate difficulty.

Harder, yes. Better? I wouldn't say so.

Don't do what I've done and buy a game to force some fun out of it. This is the worst FIFA in years. If the demo is too easy for you and not much fun... The full game won't help you.

The only game mode where I've personally found Ultimate difficulty to be nigh impossible is in Squad Battles. I didn't play much last year, but I went pretty hard for several months in FIFA 18. I did well enough to finish in Elite 1 every week (that's the tier below top 100), but I was playing the CPU on Legendary. I had a pretty decent team at the time, but I played a squad that was only rated in the 60s on Ultimate one day, and boy, they were unreal. Completely superhuman. I believe I was down 2-0 within the first 15 minutes and I never touched Ultimate again in Squad Battles.
Good to know. So stick to Legendary in Squad Battles?

Is it true that FUT Mode is set to ‘Fast’ by default and you can’t change it? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer anywhere to this.

@Chris Davies

I’ve bought this for co-op seasons as me and friends always play that mode religiously every year.

I just thought I would try another mode which isn’t Career and FUT is so deep and I like the idea of trading with a ‘real transfer market’.

I’m totally off single player football gaming now, I think it’s had it’s time in the sun - we won’t get them back.

Last edited:
Good to know. So stick to Legendary I Squad Battles?

Is it true that FUT Mode is set to ‘Fast’ by default and you can’t change it? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer anywhere to this.

I'm not sure that's the case, but the game mode is inherently like Speed Racer. That's just the way it is. Chemistry coupled with inform players makes for a very "gamey" experience. If you can buy into that mindset going into it, you'll have a much more enjoyable time.

When I was grinding Squad Battles, I went full try-hard mode. Fully assisted, cheesing the AI with skill moves, etc. Why? Like a lot of "F2P" games, your progression is dictated by your success. I'd rather win and get my rewards than play like a purist and be stuck in a perpetual state of squalor. I treat FUT like a game whereas offline modes I view it from a more organic/naturalistic standpoint.

The video I posted of the AI midfielder smashing the ball into his teammates face - on purpose, it was part of a one-two - was from FUT Squad Battles, Ultimate difficulty.

Harder, yes. Better? I wouldn't say so.

Don't do what I've done and buy a game to force some fun out of it. This is the worst FIFA in years. If the demo is too easy for you and not much fun... The full game won't help you.

Interesting. Do you have any experience with FIFA 18/19 Squad Battles? It would be shame if it's even easier in FIFA 20, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Can't really get my head around what's going on at EA?
Since getting early access to this I made up my mind quite quickly,that I absolutely hate this this gameplay, nowhere near where the FIFA series should be at this point.

Played a lot of 19,liked it,for the most part
But what made me realise how awful 20 is (so far) is having 15+ games on my old FIFA 18 save,and even more so on my FIFA 17 save.
How is it possible to ruin gameplay this badly?
Forcing streamers and community to get workarounds to even make it "functional" let alone good.
EA should be a shame.
I know I come across more of Pes ,but I've really played more FIFA than Pes since -16.
This is so bad

@Mikhail ultimate on ultimate team is difficult and on CM its easy god knows why,on CM with 50 rated players you can win vs big teams on ultimate,while on ultimate team on ultimate its hard to even shoot to AI's goal this thing is same in the lats 5-6 fifa

Hi @Matt10 A true legend of the community

I want you to see this because your findings are again, testament to your level of detail

MGH has found the issue here is how defenders really work together properly making it too easy to score on Ultimate.

So this may give truth to your theory on player roles messing things up.

I personally think there is no hope for the game but part of me will find fun on full manual Volta later, manual is actually easier on volta than in full matches, its really easy to make simple passes, 1-2 everything.

Can't lie, I'm having fun with this. Guess I'm the only one.

It doesn't seem quite finished, and the AI at times is giving me fits, but overall I feel like there's so much improvement over 19 that I'm able to enjoy it. And maybe it's because I was playing PES so much and I've had to relearn FIFA, but I'm finding it a decent challenge, at least playing as Crystal Palace in CM (and as long as I use a second controller to fix CPUs lineups). None of the exploits that made 19 so easy to beat are working for me (though maybe I'll figure out some new ones; who knows).

Don't get me wrong. The bugs in CM are inexcusable, and I think they went too far in building this for competitive play. The way the defensive AI will just turn off/on like a light switch drives me nuts. But once the defensive side of the game sort of clicked for me, I'm enjoying it more. I like the direction they took with a lot of gameplay; it's just the execution can be so inconsistent.

I really thought I was going to despise this after playing Early Access. Maybe I still will. But the gameplay grew on me today, so I'm trying to feel a little optimistic.

Can't lie, I'm having fun with this. Guess I'm the only one.

It doesn't seem quite finished, and the AI at times is giving me fits, but overall I feel like there's so much improvement over 19 that I'm able to enjoy it. And maybe it's because I was playing PES so much and I've had to relearn FIFA, but I'm finding it a decent challenge, at least playing as Crystal Palace in CM (and as long as I use a second controller to fix CPUs lineups). None of the exploits that made 19 so easy to beat are working for me (though maybe I'll figure out some new ones; who knows).

Don't get me wrong. The bugs in CM are inexcusable, and I think they went too far in building this for competitive play. The way the defensive AI will just turn off/on like a light switch drives me nuts. But once the defensive side of the game sort of clicked for me, I'm enjoying it more. I like the direction they took with a lot of gameplay; it's just the execution can be so inconsistent.

I really thought I was going to despise this after playing Early Access. Maybe I still will. But the gameplay grew on me today, so I'm trying to feel a little optimistic.
You are not alone. Game is much better after the update. There are still some problems with defensive AI but nothing like they were yesterday. I am enjoying it also

My trial hours expired so now have to wait until midnight on Thursday to get the game. Best Fifa there has been in my opinion. So many really nice aspects to the game.

My trial hours expired so now have to wait until midnight on Thursday to get the game. Best Fifa there has been in my opinion. So many really nice aspects to the game.
Yes, I really enjoy this game. I've Seen some very good gameplay. When the AI is ok, it's so nice. Ok there are a lot of bugs that need to be fixed.
But most of the Time, WE have better physics, some duels in the air, battle in midfield, great GKs, amazing sounds.
I Hope the dayone patch will reveal the full potential of the game

What camera view is he using? Looks great and very similar to PES but i couldnt find a view on the demo i liked. Cameras different in the full game?

This is the Broadcast camera and this camera has to be default in FIFA. Gameplay is 100 times better then playing on default camera..Ofcourse depends how you play..

So whats peoples general impressions? I only play exhibition games as I don't get the time to do careers. I enjoyed last years with slider tweaks, is it worth it this year? Can someone tell me of the general gameplay improvements like shooting, animations etc?

This is the Broadcast camera and this camera has to be default in FIFA. Gameplay is 100 times better then playing on default camera..Ofcourse depends how you play..
The last Fifa i played the broadcast cam was really low down and you couldnt put any height on it or not enough. Good to see its fixed. I agree it should be the default cam. Too many cams are straight on in Fifa. Tele if you could add angle would be decent. Not sure why they have never added angle as an option.

So whats peoples general impressions? I only play exhibition games as I don't get the time to do careers. I enjoyed last years with slider tweaks, is it worth it this year? Can someone tell me of the general gameplay improvements like shooting, animations etc?

Read back the last few pages and you will see what people have written.

AI is bugged so games are usually goalfests and too easy (for most people), so it has to be patched after it's officially released and then we can begin to have some proper first impressions. Right now it's close to unplayable.

Last edited:
Went through the whole of 19 with the cpu never getting a single red card
2nd game in on career mode and Arsenal had a man sent off in the first 20 mins:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Can't really get my head around what's going on at EA?
Since getting early access to this I made up my mind quite quickly,that I absolutely hate this this gameplay, nowhere near where the FIFA series should be at this point.

Played a lot of 19,liked it,for the most part
But what made me realise how awful 20 is (so far) is having 15+ games on my old FIFA 18 save,and even more so on my FIFA 17 save.
How is it possible to ruin gameplay this badly?
Forcing streamers and community to get workarounds to even make it "functional" let alone good.
EA should be a shame.
I know I come across more of Pes ,but I've really played more FIFA than Pes since -16.
This is so bad

I agree on all counts.
Even the last bit of your post.
They are deliberately taking their own game to the lowest level.

I agree on all counts.
Even the last bit of your post.
They are deliberately taking their own game to the lowest level.
Simply don't get it Chuny.
This has to be the biggest gamble of all times of a game series.
And people (some ) aren't really seeing it,or just pretend it's all ok,or see it but still buy it?
They patched up Volta quickly,but still ignores game breaking offline /career mode gameplay/issues that's been in for ages. (Sim/tables not playing the best team etc)
I think seeing their priorities right there says it all.

So god damn disappointed with EA

I've just had to accept that single player football gaming is dying a slow and painful death. Neither Career Mode in this or Master League in the other game are acceptable modes now due to being either too easy, too scripted and both having an extreme lack of fouls, penalty kicks and free kicks.

I'll just play online from now on I think and there's no chance I can take the other game seriously with multiplayer because it's awful there. FIFA despite it's many flaws is always good fun in co-op seasons with a friend (for us anyway).

Playing the latest football games in single player is just an archaic, dull experience now. We're such an afterthought and a tiny minority that still play it that the developers will never take us seriously. Single player is over, guys. And there's nothing we can do about it except try and embrace the modern modes and multiplayer. OR play PES 2013 for another year (that's what I'll do for my single player fix!)

AI is bugged so games are usually goalfests and too easy (for most people), so it has to be patched after it's officially released and then we can begin to have some proper first impressions. Right now it's close to unplayable.

Easy games and goalfests were some of my biggest criticisms of 19. So far I'm about 12 games into a Crystal Palace CM, on Ultimate, and I've only had one goalfest of a game, and that was in the preseason tournament. I haven't scored more than two in any other game; neither has the CPU. (Again, this is using the 2nd controller to make sure the CPU isn't playing its reserves.)

It's far from unplayable. My take at least. Gonna play a bunch today, so we'll see how things go.

**Just wanted to add that there's a good number of people saying single player plays differently after the supposed "volta" patch. I've no idea - can't keep all the different version straight in my head - but maybe that's why I'm enjoying this more now.

Last edited:
Easy games and goalfests were some of my biggest criticisms of 19. So far I'm about 12 games into a Crystal Palace CM, on Ultimate, and I've only had one goalfest of a game, and that was in the preseason tournament. I haven't scored more than two in any other game; neither has the CPU. (Again, this is using the 2nd controller to make sure the CPU isn't playing its reserves.)

It's far from unplayable. My take at least. Gonna play a bunch today, so we'll see how things go.
You're exciting me now, stop it.

Please report back after you've played a whole season? My FIFA 20 has just been dispatched from Simply Games so I'll have it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom