FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

We had a breakthrough tonight. However, it's not slider related, it's primarily the base of the gameplay related.

The working theory here is that EA coded the game under a squad/team sheet with default instructions set up. However, when they started pushing updates, or even releasing the game, they modified the default instructions. As a result, the game is coded and out of sync. This is why we see these terrible defensive issues:

https://twitch.tv/videos/485359952
https://twitch.tv/videos/485359951
https://twitch.tv/videos/485359953

As a result of these findings, we approached it similar to how I have approached PES in the past. Basically, using a rubberband type of logic where what I set for the user, the CPU responds. Instead of sliders, it is the player instructions. So, at the start of the match, I paused the game, went into my player instructions and click "X" to Reset All Players to Default. Yes, this does mean the player instructions revert to default, and custom instructions are no longer applicable. This is a workaround, and by no means, hopefully, a permanent solution.

Once this is done for the User side, simply play the game. Try to burst past the CPU and recreate the videos above. It will be much more difficult. You may need to experience this on Legendary or Ultimate vs using World Class or below because lower difficulties can have certain exploits, etc. At the time of this post, I spent more time using Legendary.

Before:
U3WXbY.png

After:
vJs2tD.png

One additional, and highly recommended, enhancement to this is one in which the user would need to have a second controller (console) or keyboard (PC), so the same can be done in the match for the CPU side. Simply switch sides, then navigate to the player instructions > "Reset All Players to Default". Once done, go back to switch sides back to no team selected.

That's it. That is the big find. It is proven on the twitch stream tonight, and has been exhausted to isolate certain triggers that may, or may not, be effective. I will say when both the User and CPU are Reset...it is by far one of the most fun experiences I've had with default FIFA since the prepatch beta. You will be able to tell instantly of the better lines, the more resistance, the entire environment of play rises to another level.

Please be aware that you must make the reset change to each gameplan (Ultra Defensive to Ultra Attacking) and reset those player instructions. The reason for this is because the CPU will instantly go back to their old defensive ways as you move/up the gameplans.

I know as I type this it is release day for FIFA 20, and maybe a patch will come with it. There has been a post made already by EA: https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/...he-development-team-at-launch-gameplay#latest which could mean the findings today are null and void. However, I will genuinely feel at peace that the issue has been solved from pure determination. It has been a brutal, multiple hours in testing everything related to gameplay sliders, and this was truly a last resort. Please enjoy FIFA 20. There is a lot of potential when the game is in-sync as a whole. I hope the provided workaround allows you to experience incredibly gameplay like I have.

Note: We will have a slider set as we learn of patch updates and if these issues are addressed outright versus using another workaround.

"However, to give you an idea of the types of changes, weak goalkeeper deflections is a good example of the areas being focused on for these updates."

This doesn't exactly fill me with hope, as it basically means they're addressing feedback from pros again. They were the only ones complaining about keeper deflections I think?

Please be aware that you must make the reset change to each gameplan (Ultra Defensive to Ultra Attacking) and reset those player instructions. The reason for this is because the CPU will instantly go back to their old defensive ways as you move/up the gameplans.

Great find. Surely this is a HUGE bug then that should be reported and hopefully patched. I don't know if I'll try this workaround now or wait for the day/week 1 patch as I haven't bought the game and I'm saving my remaining hours but I'll start by watching your last stream sometime today :)

Last edited:
We had a breakthrough tonight. However, it's not slider related, it's primarily the base of the gameplay related.

The working theory here is that EA coded the game under a squad/team sheet with default instructions set up. However, when they started pushing updates, or even releasing the game, they modified the default instructions. As a result, the game is coded and out of sync. This is why we see these terrible defensive issues:

https://twitch.tv/videos/485359952
https://twitch.tv/videos/485359951
https://twitch.tv/videos/485359953

As a result of these findings, we approached it similar to how I have approached PES in the past. Basically, using a rubberband type of logic where what I set for the user, the CPU responds. Instead of sliders, it is the player instructions. So, at the start of the match, I paused the game, went into my player instructions and click "X" to Reset All Players to Default. Yes, this does mean the player instructions revert to default, and custom instructions are no longer applicable. This is a workaround, and by no means, hopefully, a permanent solution.

Once this is done for the User side, simply play the game. Try to burst past the CPU and recreate the videos above. It will be much more difficult. You may need to experience this on Legendary or Ultimate vs using World Class or below because lower difficulties can have certain exploits, etc. At the time of this post, I spent more time using Legendary.

Before:
U3WXbY.png

After:
vJs2tD.png

One additional, and highly recommended, enhancement to this is one in which the user would need to have a second controller (console) or keyboard (PC), so the same can be done in the match for the CPU side. Simply switch sides, then navigate to the player instructions > "Reset All Players to Default". Once done, go back to switch sides back to no team selected.

That's it. That is the big find. It is proven on the twitch stream tonight, and has been exhausted to isolate certain triggers that may, or may not, be effective. I will say when both the User and CPU are Reset...it is by far one of the most fun experiences I've had with default FIFA since the prepatch beta. You will be able to tell instantly of the better lines, the more resistance, the entire environment of play rises to another level.

I know as I type this it is release day for FIFA 20, and maybe a patch will come with it. There has been a post made already by EA: https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/...he-development-team-at-launch-gameplay#latest which could mean the findings today are null and void. However, I will genuinely feel at peace that the issue has been solved from pure determination. It has been a brutal, multiple hours in testing everything related to gameplay sliders, and this was truly a last resort. Please enjoy FIFA 20. There is a lot of potential when the game is in-sync as a whole. I hope the provided workaround allows you to experience incredibly gameplay like I have.

Note: We will have a slider set as we learn of patch updates and if these issues are addressed outright versus using another workaround.

Amazing work mate, the community owes you a debt of gratitude

Christ!!! your original findings are a game breaker for me, cannot believe how this game is riddled with such bugs. But only irrelevant crap spouted by the pros/fut is picked up and changed.

You should be working for the dev team, how has all this stuff gone unnoticed? Pretty damn poor from a billion dollar company.

I will wait a bit of time post official release plus patch and you guys findings before purchasing.

Good work

"However, to give you an idea of the types of changes, weak goalkeeper deflections is a good example of the areas being focused on for these updates."

This doesn't exactly fill me with hope, as it basically means they're addressing feedback from pros again. They were the only ones complaining about keeper deflections I think?

Yeah I like the goalkeeper deflections myself they add a bit of randomness to the game for and against you.
And it’s not like their parrying shots they shouldn’t be ugh

Last edited:
444mb patch on Xbox
Pretty much identical to the size of the patch released on PS4 the other day to fix the Volta progression bug, which has made a bit of a gameplay difference for me too.

The AI is crazy, though. Absolutely batshit crazy. Check this out, broken down bit by bit...

• The AI player decides to play a one-two in midfield. (This is the first, and last, sane thing to happen.)
  • For his first touch, and for no reason whatsoever, he bends his ankle to the point that it'd break, to first-touch the ball with his heel.
  • He then steps on the ball with his right foot, but it passes straight through it.
  • Then, he smashes the living shit out of the ball, at point-blank-range, into his mate's face.
  • Who clearly uses his hand to move the ball towards his head...
  • ...then softly heads it back down to him, like it was a pass at a quarter of the velocity.
  • The original player receives the ball back, raising a leg to cushion the ball, and his leg just freezes as it approaches the ground.
  • Then, with his frozen leg, he softly "flicks" the ball back to the other guy, which (without any backlift) flies off at 100mph again.
  • His team-mate starts ducking because, once again, his mate is trying to kill him in the face with a fucking football, and the ball bounces off his elbow and away.
Eight fuck-ups in a single second!!!

I mean. What the fuck have they done?

Last edited:
Pretty much identical to the size of the patch released on PS4 the other day to fix the Volta progression bug, which has made a bit of a gameplay difference for me too.

The AI is crazy, though. Absolutely batshit crazy. Check this out, broken down bit by bit...

• The AI player decides to play a one-two in midfield. (This is the first, and last, sane thing to happen.)
    For his first touch, and for no reason whatsoever, he bends his ankle to the point that it'd break, to first-touch the ball with his heel.
    He then steps on the ball, but goes straight through it, so that's fine.
    Followed by absolutely smashing the ball full-force at point-blank-range into his mate's face.
    Who clearly uses his hand to move the ball towards his head...
    ...then perfectly heads it back down to him, like it was a pass at a quarter of the velocity.
    The original player receives the ball back again, raising his leg to cushion the ball, and his leg just freezes.
    Then, mid-air, with a frozen leg, he flicks the ball back to the other guy, in an impossible motion, that (without any backlift) makes the ball move at 100mph again.
    His team-mate starts ducking because, once again, his mate is trying to kill him in the face with a fucking football, and the ball bounces off his elbow and away.

I mean. What the fuck have they done?

Yeah this part is what stood out the most for me when watching it:
Then, mid-air, with a frozen leg, he flicks the ball back to the other guy, in an impossible motion, that (without any backlift) makes the ball move at 100mph again

FrostBite needs to be Frozen Back.

It’s fucking nuts Chris, I’d expect shit like this maybe in a beta, which is nonsense because as you know the beta was unreal to a point, I’m just saving the access trial time until something happens no way I can pay for this.

Every day I'm hoping to get in here or on the other Forum and read some magic solution or unexpected patch that somewhat makes FIFA 20 the best FIFA version ever, so I could go ahead an buy it!
When I read Matt's post today I thought "this is it, this is what I've been hoping for!" but... after watching @DarthKebab 's video, I guess we're still not there. Too bad!

Every day I'm hoping to get in here or on the other Forum and read some magic solution or unexpected patch that somewhat makes FIFA 20 the best FIFA version ever, so I could go ahead an buy it!
When I read Matt's post today I thought "this is it, this is what I've been hoping for!" but... after watching @DarthKebab 's video, I guess we're still not there. Too bad!

It wasn’t just that one thing either I had another two
Unfortunately, we hadn't have anybody test on xbox, as it was just worked on last night. Just to confirm, this was done with the user side only or both user and cpu? Also, all gameplans modified? Sorry for the questions - just want to take note and have other xbox guys test if it's something to isolate.

I just went into team instructions on my team and reset all values to zero, crazy thing is this doesn’t happen on kick off mode just career, it’s like it says it’s legendary but really it’s semi pro or something

It wasn’t just that one thing either I had another two

I just went into team instructions on my team and reset all values to zero, crazy thing is this doesn’t happen on kick off mode just career, it’s like it says it’s legendary but really it’s semi pro or something

All values to zero? Player instructions doesn't have a zero value, it's just goes to (Default) in their chosen instruction. So instead of "Free Roam" it will change to Balanced (Default). Sorry I just want to make sure!

Lax is streaming right now, on PS4, legendary

https://www.twitch.tv/laxing_

The latest patch has reverted the game slightly back to the beta with the AI harder to break down but maintains the added speed from the main release.

But the AI seems to be sliding in more which should lead to more fouls had a cpl in the game I just finished.

All values to zero? Player instructions doesn't have a zero value, it's just goes to (Default) in their chosen instruction. So instead of "Free Roam" it will change to Balanced (Default). Sorry I just want to make sure!

Lax is streaming right now, on PS4, legendary

https://www.twitch.tv/laxing_

I’ll double check when I get back on, however just knocked it down to world class and it was much more aggressive making slide tackles knocking me off balance

Back
Top Bottom