FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Funny thing is, they don't seem to have much trouble shipping different gameplay in the same game. Go play the world cup mode in fifa 18 and compare it to CM gameplay, or the women national teams since fifa 16. Some say it's the same thing with player stats making it feel different, but to me it feels almost like a different game (and much better than regular CM gameplay).

Personally I think they already know how different their target audiences are, but why change when profits are rising year after year. It will take a bad year or two for them to start caring.

Everything's the same but stats and player models. But those two things do lead to a slightly different gameplay experience (which is why I've always kinda preferred the women's gameplay since it was introduced, not that I really ever play it).

Hmm new Fifa career mode stuff is incredibly underwhelming.

I couldn’t give a damn about multiple saves or talking to the media.

Got a feeling ML will be poor again this year as well.

Soo..... basically... fuck all.. or is it just my impression??
When "manager accessories" and "news screenshots" are two of the headlines... You know it's going to be bad...

...and there's no talk of training, i.e. the vitally important stuff (which will still be the same ridiculous "five players only" crap)...

...and in line with that, still no options to improve your staff, so you don't have to buy new players and can just develop your current ones...

...and all the form stuff doesn't mention the fact that every one of your players has a positive form arrow no matter how you play, which immediately gives them stupid OVR boosts (and I fear that'll continue)...

...and you still can't retrain a player to a new position (which you can in Ultimate Team)...

...and other managers will still be in their jobs forever because of licensing, I'm betting (no mention of it in the notes at the end)...

...yeah, I'm pretty fucking disappointed.

Player conversations is nice...

Generally I see nothing to lose your head over or to dedicate all this hype to, but I was waiting for a complex morale system since years and years. If it will constitute some kind of world building feature, in which you'll be able to see the morale and the well being of every player of every other team to exploit it in the market system (or even on the field), for me that would be truly great.

Of course if this morale system would be something you only use and see for your own players, or if that will lead to just a few generic outcomes, then it would suck of course.

Well this is more than I was expecting, and despite these negative reactions above I think there's some things to be excited about:
  • Maybe my favorite - we can turn off int'l job offers lol
  • Dynamic potentials - this was a top community ask so looking forward to this change
  • Fixture congestion to be improved
  • CPU teams will start their best starting XI - a huge ask by the community; this was important
  • Manager customization - a big ask by the community
But the two big features that are most important is the new morale system and the dynamic potentials. If the morale system is done well - a massive "if" - then this could be a pretty big deal (and is along the lines of a team chemistry system I've been asking for for years).

The dynamic potentials is a big deal for me, but everything else will just depend on whether it's implemented in a way that actually makes a difference to your experience and most importantly has an impact on the pitch. In the past new features have not really been impactful, but if they've finally got their heads out their asses and developed some decent, deep features, this could turn out to be a solid improvement to CM.

Well this is more than I was expecting, and despite these negative reactions above I think there's some things to be excited about:

• Maybe my favorite - we can turn off int'l job offers lol
    Dynamic potentials - this was a top community ask so looking forward to this change
    Fixture congestion to be improved
    CPU teams will start their best starting XI - a huge ask by the community; this was important
    Manager customization - a big ask by the community
But the two big features that are most important is the new morale system and the dynamic potentials. If the morale system is done well - a massive "if" - then this could be a pretty big deal (and is along the lines of a team chemistry system I've been asking for for years).

The dynamic potentials is a big deal for me, but everything else will just depend on whether it's implemented in a way that actually makes a difference to your experience and most importantly has an impact on the pitch. In the past new features have not really been impactful, but if they've finally got their heads out their asses and developed some decent, deep features, this could turn out to be a solid improvement to CM.
My point of view is - Career mode was miles ahead of Pes in the last few years.
Now, if you dont count presentation (which Pes will never be able to battle because of the licenses), they are more or less the same..

Yeah, honestly I was only expecting cutscenes, but there are some good fixes in that list. But gameplay is all I care about really. If it's not miles better than the last two I'm going retro for good. :)

Totally forgot about this. The simplest change of all - let us see the AI's formation pre-game. Still not there, so you'll never ever change your tactics once you've set them up.

But we've got themed backgrounds. FFS.

My point of view is - Career mode was miles ahead of Pes in the last few years.
Now, if you dont count presentation (which Pes will never be able to battle because of the licenses), they are more or less the same..
I always had this point of view until I saw a video on YouTube, "why ML is miles better than Career Mode" (or something like that) and I was pretty shocked. When I realised you can retrain positions and traits in PES etc. I came to the conclusion that I don't think Career Mode is actually any better. Beyond players wanting to go if you don't play them, which rarely happens to me anyway.

Apparently the CM gamechangers were able to ask the devs about these changes this year and they'll be streaming about those sessions today. I guess tune in for more details.

For example:

Apparently the CM gamechangers were able to ask the devs about these changes this year and they'll be streaming about those sessions today. I guess tune in for more details.
I think "more details" are all the bullet points at the end of the deep dive article - i.e. bug fixes. Hope I'm wrong, but. I think this is it.

Player convos, new morale system etc. are big deals, don't get me wrong. But that stuff isn't as important as being able to train your whole team properly to prepare for each match, or even having a scouting team giving you info on how your next opponent play.

I can't help but feel bitter when they list "new backgrounds for transfer negotiations", the cut-scenes we all skip, AS A FEATURE.

I always had this point of view until I saw a video on YouTube, "why ML is miles better than Career Mode" (or something like that) and I was pretty shocked.
And thats exactly what I meant.
Career Mode had nice immersion. At least for a while until it got boring. Managers reactions on the pitch, youth academy, press conference, some requests from players.
But now Pes added most of this.
What Fifa added, was basically fixing bugs, that were never present in PES (like teams playing with their strongest 11's)
Their morale are Pes arrows. Yes, they are random, but force you to shuffle your squad and thats the point.
I cant see anything that would tell me that they put some effort into Career Mode.
I was expecting complete revamp of training, staff hiring, upgrading your stadium, sponsor deals.. there is nothing.. just bug fixes and cosmetics..

Edit. I apologise for comparing the two. I know its not the thread for it. Just wanted to explain where my dissappointment comes from.

I think "more details" are all the bullet points at the end of the deep dive article - i.e. bug fixes. Hope I'm wrong, but. I think this is it.

Player convos, new morale system etc. are big deals, don't get me wrong. But that stuff isn't as important as being able to train your whole team properly to prepare for each match, or even having a scouting team giving you info on how your next opponent play.

I can't help but feel bitter when they list "new backgrounds for transfer negotiations", the cut-scenes we all skip, AS A FEATURE.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said more details. But we could learn some things about how the changes work. No idea really.

And I fully understand why people would feel disappointed (though I don't get what you mean by whole team training to prepare for a match), when you consider just how much more potential there is for CM. At the same time though, fact of the matter is this update is bigger than any in recent years and the devs clearly responded to many community asks, even if many of those are fairly minor.

They can't fully please everyone, but they did give almost everyone something they wanted. Considering I wasn't expecting anything more than bug fixes and some UI upgrades, I'm pleasantly surprised.

EA doesn’t give a shit about Career Mode, we’re lucky we’ve even got these additions.

After seeing the frantic, fast gameplay videos and now this news - FIFA 20 seems like it’s going to have the same old issues for the single player gamer.

Will this years game still have the appalling foul mechanics, i don't want to play 30 games and see 1 foul like the last couple of releases.
No fouls again this year and they can shove it.

I have to say this is way more than i expected. There are lots of small awesome things.

-Dynamic Player Potential - finally we can buy 30+ players without them getting downgraded by 5 in the next 2 years.
-disable international manager - my god FINALLY, can't stress enough how i wanted this
-composure and stats on youth players - as someone that plays youth careers all the time this is beyond amazing
-AI team starting XI - finally we won't play a 75 rated ManCity
-more saves again - shouldn't even be a thing, buy oh well...i always save careers twice, so good for me
-fixture congestion - hopefully we won't have ongoing tired squads with this change

All in all i really like this, but of course as you guys said there is still a million small things they could improve.

I cant see anything that would tell me that they put some effort into Career Mode.

In fifa 18 the only addition was the player negotiations cutscene which added zero depth and everyone got sick of after the 1st transfer window! So I think they are slowly waking up, although, like I said before, all these fixes and additions will be nice to have only if the gameplay's worth it. I wouldn't rush to buy the game based on any single thing in that list alone.

In fifa 18 the only addition was the player negotiations cutscene which added zero depth and everyone got sick of after the 1st transfer window! So I think they are slowly waking up
Maybe its my fault for expecting something big this year. I dont remember EA in previous years making announcement plans and setting up dates for specific parts of the game. This year they had one date set for Career Mode improvements, so I was expecting them going big this year. Crowds on both sides were demanding changes and I thought both sides will deliver.
Pushing Career Mode improvements announcements added even more to it for me.
And at the end they are coming out with.... this...
Anticlimax of the highest order. :LOL:

On one hand it's pretty pathetic that we've had to wait so long for some of the minor additions, tweaks, and bug fixes, but on the other hand I think there's some small things in this update that could have a pretty big impact, and address some longstanding frustrations.

For example, addressing the fixture congestion issue would mean that you no longer need to have essentially two first teams when playing in multiple competitions at the highest levels. This is a pretty big deal IMO because it means wasted transfer money that you might have spent on two solid players means that now you could instead go for that one elite player and not have to worry about needing extra bodies for when the fixtures come fast and often.

Maybe more importantly, especially for those of us who've complained how easy CM is, the removal of form and the advertised fixing of teams not starting their best starting 11s should mean a more difficult (and realistic) gameplay experience (obviously gameplay itself is still most important here). The key will be how morale works, and hopefully it won't be OP like form was. It's a more complex system, so that's promising, but it all depends on how well it's implemented. It's also good that they've increased the transfer costs of defenders because in my last CM I was able to buy an elite level defense in one transfer window.

If dynamic player potentials is done well, I think that too could have huge ramifications, and I'm giving EA props for this since it was probably the #1 community ask and I didn't think they'd bother. But hopefully this will mean you can't so easily cheat the game like you could before. At the least, it should really improve replayability.

One thing I'm most curious about is how the previous email inbox system has been overhauled with this new player communication system. If they can cut down on all the meaningless and redundant communications - and finally we'll be able to disable the damn int'l job offers! - then that could also be a decent quality of life improvement.

I know that many are disappointed that more substantial features weren't added (and I totally agree with @Chris Davies that it's almost criminal that FUT is getting a pre-match tactical feature and CM is not!) but personally I think this is an impressive update (at least when you consider how little love CM has gotten in recent years).

Seen YouTubers go apeshit over these tweaks.
Can't really be hyped over stuff that we all take for granted,like seeing the CPU lineup before kickoff,should have been in years ago.
Big meeh!
But if gameplay is solid,that would make me buy it,and smoother animations/running/proper body positioning when passing etc.

Is that actually there?

Was in years ago, then they hid it, for no good reason whatsoever.
I heard you could see them now (FIFA 20) but it wasn't in 17-18-19.
Pretty sure (or not) it was missing on FIFA 15/16 as well.
About time.
I wish we could over ride stupid decisions from the ai,like if we see a shitty team sheet from Man city,you know benching their top players (like on 17-18-19) we should have the opportunity to correct that.

But if gameplay is solid,that would make me buy it
Another bleeding mystery nowadays, isnt it?
Solid based on what? Demo? Release? Post first patch? Post second? Post 12th?
Football games these days are just mental.
On Monday its fine - on Tuesday its terrible..
If you're lucky - you'll fit into some window, where gameplay is enjoyable for a bit..
Apologies, im bit grumpy today.
I'll back after few drinks.

Another bleeding mystery nowadays, isnt it?
Solid based on what? Demo? Release? Post first patch? Post second? Post 12th?
Football games these days are just mental.
On Monday its fine - on Tuesday its terrible..
If you're lucky - you'll fit into some window, where gameplay is enjoyable for a bit..
Apologies, im bit grumpy today.
I'll back after few drinks.
Nowadays,buy on disc,never ever have your internet connection on.
Back to 128kp modem times

For me,it needs to be solid in a few categories.
1 fouls
2 passing shooting from the CPU needs to look authentic (not like fifa 19s CPU just passing it around with out adjusting their bodies)
3 not look like a bunch of meth heads out searching for copper wires when running.
4 CPU with a believable pass percentage (not 90-93% if you're Wigan etc)

They can obviously fuck everything up with patches,but for me,all of the above needs to be in from the start

Forget what i said, i will cancel my pre-order right now. This company produces utter garbage. 93rd minute 4:3 btw. This won't be better in FIFA 20, so why play?

IMG-20190807-WA0009.jpg

Underwhelming to say the least.

Well, let's see the bright side, at least I'm only spending 85 dollars this year! :P

Back
Top Bottom