FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

I said on Twitter that the gameplay recorded at 30fps, but stream at 60fps, made for some skipped frames, and thus ball physics and animations a bit off. I love the fact the ball seems more alive. That was my biggest gripe for 19. Off the ball movement looks conservative in nature, which is nice to see for any early gameplay like this. As some have said, 2v2 is a tough judgement. Here's the recording in case it's not archived yet:
(Starts at about 3:39)

Hahaha they all looked disgusted at the end, no doubt the first patch will ruin that gameplay as it is there

Not even a goal in my football match. Disgusting. EA, please fix this!

Can't judge ball physics from a 30fps video skipping frames but there are some istances where the ball has very weird rebounds, like

at this point

I said on Twitter that the gameplay recorded at 30fps, but stream at 60fps, made for some skipped frames, and thus ball physics and animations a bit off. I love the fact the ball seems more alive. That was my biggest gripe for 19. Off the ball movement looks conservative in nature, which is nice to see for any early gameplay like this. As some have said, 2v2 is a tough judgement. Here's the recording in case it's not archived yet:

Yeah, excited about the ball physics. Also, that backline positioning is way better. Not seeing the FB tuck-in issue that led to such easy wing exploits. And you're right about the runs - looks like the run frequency slider at half the default setting!

The raw stream file is 1:1 with what we see in live- real-time. Will be not better. I was thinking that Konami's streams and PR are sheeeeet, looks like EA make the same sheeeeeet too. Really bad way to show the game for the first time.

I just cannot believe they cannot fix LOD, in PES level of detail from the "wide" camera is massive difference.
Especially on the turf it self, when you zoom in in replay you can see that FIFA graphic are ok, I just cannot understand why they don't fix it, it's a massive blow for me to be honest.

I was watching the AI players and it looked much improved, if only because they weren't moving and sprinting about like headless chickens.

Right, and I agree that it looked like an improvement compared to fifa 19, but I'm looking for something that can be just as good as 16/17 not just an improvement to 19. We have no idea how the AI plays for one. Will it build up normally like in those games or will it play a single pass to the striker every time? We have no clue. There's plenty of space for that though. Liverpool tactics were particularly suspect in this game. The new cdm instruction for them to stay back and tuck into the backline... it made it look like a back 5 when they were on the attack (pic 1). And then on possession change Real was off to the races, until they met that wall of five (pic 2). You have to check the radar, that's how far away they are! At other times it looked better and more controlled. Hope they worked on the tactics, another big unknown, and it will be huge.

fifa20.PNG fifa20_b.PNG

I just cannot believe they cannot fix LOD, in PES level of detail from the "wide" camera is massive difference.
Especially on the turf it self, when you zoom in in replay you can see that FIFA graphic are ok, I just cannot understand why they don't fix it, it's a massive blow for me to be honest.

I think we're at the point now where visual upgrades will happen next gen. But they certainly have a lot of catching up to do with PES now. The visuals are super blah after playing the PES demo.

Right, and I agree that it looked like an improvement compared to fifa 19, but I'm looking for something that can be just as good as 16/17 not just an improvement to 19. We have no idea how the AI plays for one. Will it build up normally like in those games or will it play a single pass to the striker every time? We have no clue. There's plenty of space for that though. Liverpool tactics were particularly suspect in this game. The new cdm instruction for them to stay back and tuck into the backline... it made it look like a back 5 when they were on the attack (pic 1). And then on possession change Real was off to the races, until they met that wall of five (pic 2). You have to check the radar, that's how far away they are! At other times it looked better and more controlled. Hope they worked on the tactics, another big unknown, and it will be huge.

View attachment 18140 View attachment 18141

Good point. Last year (or was it the year before?) they had the fullbacks stay back too much on default, a band aid solution to the game not being able to handle a three-man forward line in counter attacks. If you used the tactic fullbacks get forward, it fixed this and fullbacks played more realistically, but you're right that that would be an issue playing against the CPU.

Here's the big thing for me.

Around 6:30, the guys playing as Liverpool HAVE to start playing a bit of build-up play - even though they're DESPERATELY looking for a wing exploit - because in terms of positioning, the opposition (largely because of the AI) are defending well, and the passing isn't assisted enough for them to just blast a long-ball to someone. The ball physics look improved too (though there are still a few too many "fast forward" moments for my liking).

I don't feel excited, I've got to admit - and I didn't think I was a graphics whore but it turns out PES has spoiled me, the brief close-up of Coutinho really took me out of the experience.

But, it looks solid. Slower. More intricate. All this with the most highly rated teams! I'd love to play a demo.

And I'd love to see an ACTUAL Ultimate Team game where both teams are filled with Godlike players and have a chemistry of 100, which is when the game becomes stupid and unplayable.

EDIT: You know how the FUT players feel about the game just from the conversation.

Host: How do you feel about the game, are you enjoying it?
Player: Yeah, feels like a GOAL is coming!
Translated: There are goals coming, right?

And the goals never came.

Last edited:
I hope this is one of those "you have to play it yourself to feel it" cases, because I'm not seeing any major improvements here.
Players still move weird. Players still pass the ball effortlessly.

Oh and the turfs...
Why can't either company put a little more focus on having some perfect looking turfs?. It's such a big part for me.
It's an immersion-killer.

I truly hope, the 30fps are conspiring against an otherwise great game. But I'm not seeing the fluidity and the contextual stuff that got lost after FIFA 16. And maybe that's on me, because when they released the list of new features for this year's game I really thought they were trying to get back to that. When they talk about one on one situations all over the pitch.

I think we're at the point now where visual upgrades will happen next gen. But they certainly have a lot of catching up to do with PES now. The visuals are super blah after playing the PES demo.

pes looks bad to me in gameplay cam. weird turf textures, weird colours, weird gangly player animations. fifa looks more like an actual match imo

pes wins in close ups of faces though

I hope this is one of those "you have to play it yourself to feel it" cases, because I'm not seeing any major improvements here.
Players still move weird.
Yeah, I've just put the video on the big TV to see if it looks too slow/fast compared to on a mobile phone screen, and the first thing I saw was Van Dijk shuffling around (and backwards) in stoppage time like he was possessed - and Origi running in the 85th minute or so looks like he's running in zero-gravity.

Ah damn. Look at Van Dijk's header in the last minute. From the box to the half-way line.

Damn. It doesn't look like enough of an improvement for me.

Guess they spent most of their time on that Volta garbage, FUT and Mystery Ball trash.

Career Mode better be damn good.

Having a look at the new Madden 20 career mode it looks like EA have added more interactive things to with your players and coaching staff, so you'll get a new cutscene if your reserve right back wants to play or your youth coach finds a new star player in South East Asia, hardly the stuff we were looking for if its ported over to fifa

Prediction - Career Mode changes are huge (hence why it's pretty much the last reveal), AI is decent, sliders make it better, but not hugely different.

Hope you're right obviously but give me one single reason for why we should think there's a chance that CM gets substantial changes this year, other than simply the mode is so poor.

Having a look at the new Madden 20 career mode it looks like EA have added more interactive things to with your players and coaching staff, so you'll get a new cutscene if your reserve right back wants to play or your youth coach finds a new star player in South East Asia, hardly the stuff we were looking for if its ported over to fifa

Word from the Madden folks is again massive disappointment that Franchise Mode has been given little to no love this year. To me, seems pretty clear that the bean counters at EA have given clear direction that single player modes will get little to no resources. Fits with their entire MO across all games right now.

Prediction - Career Mode changes are huge (hence why it's pretty much the last reveal), AI is decent, sliders make it better, but not hugely different.

I predict a lot of new cut scenes and not more depth. For some reason they think cut scenes look better on trailers (probably right) and sell copies. I'd like them to fix and expand on the underlying systems, transfers, lineups, form, fatigue, fixtures, player development, etc. But we'll get cut scenes instead! Hope i'm wrong :)

Imagine if they were to add more sliders.
That would be a game changer.
I know I've already said this, but, I did comment about wanting NHL's 100s of sliders a few months ago, and Zaro the FIFA community manager "liked" the tweet. So. Fingers crossed.

I've just played FIFA 16 online and it's unbelievable how attributes and physics matter more than in 19 (even though it's too fast for me personally).

Wow its so fast! I dont even think NHL plays as fast as that. Thought Fifa is supposed to be slower this year?

Not even a goal in my football match. Disgusting. EA, please fix this!

Can't judge ball physics from a 30fps video skipping frames but there are some istances where the ball has very weird rebounds, like

at this point

pass at 2:30 makes an unnatural bounce, like hitting a rock.
Volta and the street socce mode was the reason they made the ball so bouncy.
Anyway i prefer it because at previous FIFAs was too bowling-ish.
FIFA 17 had some bounce to be fair, and as far as i can recall FIFA 14 had quite nice ball physics.
This thing that advertised as "human motion" ...where is it? I can't see a bit of it in the above video.
Passing animation need to be slowed down a lot, it will improve the overall flow and pace of the game.
Also i would like to see more error in weird angle passes.
Graphic wise, it looks ok, like fifa 19, acceptable but no wow factor in it.
Next gameplay will be available at gamescom, right?

Players still move weird. Players still pass the ball effortlessly.
Well if we've learned anything from PES 2020, Then this is the best advice.

Looks can be very deceiving and watching a stream of FUT fetishist play Blitzball isn't going to much for your clarity on the game that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom