FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Well if we've learned anything from PES 2020, Then this is the best advice.

Looks can be very deceiving and watching a stream of FUT fetishist play Blitzball isn't going to much for your clarity on the game that's for sure.

But you can expect what you see if it looks and moves similar like last year.

If i recall correctly, by time they adapt madden animation i think couple of years a go.. movement becomes odd to me.

For those who watched the final yesterday:
Watch the FIFA 16 final. More realistic pace, slower, more mistakes etc. Even the ball looks like more FIFA 20, with more bounces and spins.

I'm so glad you posted this.

Comparing it to the FIFA 20 gameplay footage (having both open in two tabs and switching back-and-forth between the two), FIFA 20 is clearly slower - in terms of player speed, in terms of ground-pass speed, and player positioning seems much less erratic.

General animation is worse - there are several moments of defenders doing a weird hunch backwards shuffle... But actually, having played FIFA 16 the other night (online too) and being wowed at how important player attributes and body positioning both are, I'm shocked that it looks pretty close to FIFA 20.

Comparing it to the FIFA 20 gameplay footage (having both open in two tabs and switching back-and-forth between the two), FIFA 20 is clearly slower - in terms of player speed, in terms of ground-pass speed, and player positioning seems much less erratic.

General animation is worse - there are several moments of defenders doing a weird hunch backwards shuffle... But actually, having played FIFA 16 the other night (online too) and being wowed at how important player attributes and body positioning both are, I'm shocked that it looks pretty close to FIFA 20.

Yes, FIFA 16 was quite decent. Especially women matches was a joy to play!
The only things that annoyed me much was that pass and shoot animation was lightning fast (still are). So did animations for turning and changing direction. FIFA 18 fixed these somehow with better footplanting and better locomotion.

I hope FIFA 20 will be something between FIFA 16 pace and FIFA 19 physicality.

Can't form an idea at all from that single game. Only thing I can say is that I like the shooting animations.

Is there an idea on when they'll open up more with videos or a demo date, perhaps?

Is there an idea on when they'll open up more with videos or a demo date, perhaps?
Career Mode news is coming this week - likely Wednesday this week at 3pm UK time, but they haven't confirmed. Hopefully, there will be some gameplay videos with that announcement (human v AI).

After that - the next vids should come out of good ol' Gamescom, running between the 20th-24th August this year. All from shaky phone cameras, but I'll take anything.

Demo is usually the first week or two of September. It's a long way to go.

I remember last year the general consensus was that fifa 19 on slow speed was perhaps too slow. Players could feel like steering a ship and the ball slowly came to a halt in an unrealistic way. Yet everyone thinks that it plays a frantic 100mph game and rightly so. This is because of player behaviour, passing assistance, 1st time passing/shooting too effective, positioning, tactics. I think too many people are obsessed with ball speed/player speed and equate that with "game pace". But that concept has nothing to do with the real sport where these things don't really ever change... because, real physics. Instead when we talk about the pace of a football match we are referring to the type of football played on the pitch.

I do understand that since we're talking about video games, animation speed and the general feel of the game with a controller in hand are important things to get right (and pes does a great job at that in the last few years), but when talking about game pace very few people seem to think about things like passing, positioning, defending and overall game balance, and that's a bit baffling to me. Both games have adjustable game speed to suit most people, but if 1st time passing is too effective, assistance too high and defenders don't cover space and intercept balls close to them, the game will be a 100mph ping pong fest, no matter what.

@manmachine

I know exactly what you mean - and when comparing the FIWC 16 video to the same sorts of guys playing FIFA 20, you can (in my opinion) see that non-pure-pace-related stuff. This is specifically why I mentioned build-up play appearing in that FIFA 20 video:

Here's the big thing for me. Around 6:30, the guys playing as Liverpool HAVE to start playing a bit of build-up play - even though they're DESPERATELY looking for a wing exploit - because in terms of positioning, the opposition (largely because of the AI) are defending well, and the passing isn't assisted enough for them to just blast a long-ball to someone.

That's the kind of thing that slows play down and the game badly needs it - as long as A) it stays in the game and B) there aren't exploits discovered within a week of release that never get looked at.

But I do think there are also general speed issues in FIFA 19, it's not purely tactical. Playing FIFA 19 on SLOW with default sliders is eye-wateringly fast, 70% because of the speed of the passes, 30% because of the speed of the players. Playing FUT 19 with a gold team (never mind Legends etc.) is, and I can't stress this enough, I don't often use language like this... an absolute joke. Literally like watching football in fast forward. The fastest football game I've ever seen, even. Benny Hill with a football.

This, the ball physics and the AI are my major issues with 19. Honestly, fix those things and nothing else, and I'd probably love 20. But I'm on the fence as to whether they really have fixed any of it.

A) Because this is just one video. B) Because there were still quite a few one-on-ones for such a short match. C) Because of that stupid "Power Ball" clip...

But I do think there are also general speed issues in FIFA 19, it's not purely tactical. Playing FIFA 19 on SLOW with default sliders is eye-wateringly fast.

This, the ball physics and the AI are my major issues with 19. Honestly, fix those things and nothing else, and I'd probably love 20. But I'm on the fence as to whether they really have fixed any of it.

Truth is I uninstalled it by December, so maybe things got way faster with every patch, I don't know, but tactics like constant pressure pretty much translated to no midfield resistance whatsoever which is why it's top of my list and why the liverpool tactics in the fifa 20 video scared me so much!

For those who watched the final yesterday:
Watch the FIFA 16 final. More realistic pace, slower, more mistakes etc. Even the ball looks like more FIFA 20, with more bounces and spins.

Im not sure thats any slower? It's like watching a video with fast forward enabled. So fast. It seems to me Fifa is a twitch football game? It's all about speed and your reactions?

@manmachine

Playing FIFA 19 on SLOW with default sliders is eye-wateringly fast, 70% because of the speed of the passes, 30% because of the speed of the players.

I hope you're being absurdly hyperbolic Chris, because if this is your honest assessment you're never going to be happy with FIFA. I'm hugely critical of the pace of play in FIFA, but this is a pretty extreme take and one I doubt 99 percent of the player base would agree with.

I hope you're being absurdly hyperbolic Chris, because if this is your honest assessment you're never going to be happy with FIFA. I'm hugely critical of the pace of play in FIFA, but this is a pretty extreme take and one I doubt 99 percent of the player base would agree with.
What would Fifa's player base say? 50/50 rather than 70/30? Watching the new video of Fifa 20 the passing speed is insane. 70% might not be enough just from watching videos.

Impossible to judge by watching a few videos. Looks like FIFA, literally could be 18 or 19, I wouldn’t know if someone didn’t tell me. Same old gameplay, it looks ‘messy’, like, there’s no structure to the play.

But again - I hate the look of PES 2020 when I saw gameplay videos but am really enjoying playing it.

The demo will tell us more. EA will cave in to the FUT players though I fear even if we love the demo.

What would Fifa's player base say? 50/50 rather than 70/30? Watching the new video of Fifa 20 the passing speed is insane. 70% might not be enough just from watching videos.

Considering that so much of the player base actually complains that FIFA 19 wasn't fast enough, I would expect the vast majority would completely disagree with the suggestion that FIFA played on SLOW is "eye-wateringly" fast. (Remember again that most people play online, and FIFA is poorly optimized for online play, so that's the cause of many "slow" "sluggish" "unresponsive" complaints with FIFA.)

Hell, I argue regularly that FIFA plays too fast - mainly because of it being too end to end - but I have zero issues with pass speed or even sprint speed. Sure, some animations are too quick and hyper looking, and I hate how it looks when players sprint, but for me it's not a problem of physics and more football related (attackers too aggressive with forward runs; defensive AI that can't keep up; too high first touch and pass accuracy, etc).

So if I - a relatively older gamer who's more focused on realism with the game and hates FUT gameplay - think default speed of some things like pass speed are okay, then I can only imagine that most of the player base would be LOLing to death if they saw someone state that FIFA played on Slow was "eye-wateringly" FAST.

Considering that so much of the player base actually complains that FIFA 19 wasn't fast enough, I would expect the vast majority would completely disagree with the suggestion that FIFA played on SLOW is "eye-wateringly" fast. (Remember again that most people play online, and FIFA is poorly optimized for online play, so that's the cause of many "slow" "sluggish" "unresponsive" complaints with FIFA.)

Hell, I argue regularly that FIFA plays too fast - mainly because of it being too end to end - but I have zero issues with pass speed or even sprint speed. Sure, some animations are too quick and hyper looking, and I hate how it looks when players sprint, but for me it's not a problem of physics and more football related (attackers too aggressive with forward runs; defensive AI that can't keep up; too high first touch and pass accuracy, etc).

So if I - a relatively older gamer who's more focused on realism with the game and hates FUT gameplay - think default speed of some things like pass speed are okay, then I can only imagine that most of the player base would be LOLing to death if they saw someone state that FIFA played on Slow was "eye-wateringly" FAST.
I have not been following Fifa 19, I remember the demo being insanely fast and now Fifa 20 looks insanely fast. Worrying that Fifa fans want it even faster.

I agree on the sprint animations, It's strange to get such a basic animation so wrong and those weird hyper animations you talk of. Just makes the game look odd and off putting from the start.

Yesterday i tried again FIFA 15. Wow, i wonder how i could play this game. Animations are very rigid and fast, nothing is smooth, and transitions between them are tottaly absent for many cases.
Bodies were like alien body builders (pre match menu i saw Di Maria and i was shocked!) , and just with fast players you could penetrate the defence without even using skills. (pace abuse).
FIFA 16 was a step up in terms of smoothness and pace for sure!
I think FIFA 15 is very obsolete and there is no reason coming back to it.

Yes, animation in FIFA 16 looks way better linked. Yeah, they are faster, but do not looks that weird like they are in FIFA 19/20. But FIFA 16 do not use frostbite? Look like the engine is a problem after all, and the team is different. I don't see David Rutter and his team anymore.

As PES fan, I was always jealous about FIFA animation from the PS3 era, but since then FIFA's animation degraded more and more every year.

Fifa 16 was the last Fifa i played because reading about it, seemed to be quite good and the best Fifa.
Still it was way too fast for my taste.

This gameplay shows promise because the pace looks great, you can see that. Will it stay the same at release, though?

I’m struggling with the game in motion now and how gerd rightly stated,it now looks like the older game.I’m even struggling going back to 19.

There’s no doubt fifa20 will have the modes,atmosphere,the spine tingling aesthetics.

It’s always a game sadly that shows so much promise in the alpha/beta and final stages of development but always reverts to being totally geared for offensive play and quick hands shortly after release..The error and inconsistencies are always patched out and everything just becomes more accurate and streamlined for quick play.

Fifa19 out of the box was first class..There were bugs and kinks that needed ironing out-but interms of gameplay it was weighty,challenging,difficult to get forward and the AI was robust and difficult to play.The variety in how you could play and how you had to use build up play and break teams down completely vanished after the first patch..The gaps got wider,reaction times increased and it become much easier to control the ball..Even the ball physics changed and felt off...they nerfed it.

I really feel for the guys that develop fifa..They have the talent and want to make a simulation(they’ve more then proved this,and they can)..Problem is the casual crowd don’t want that and they always buckle and pander to those users.

Last edited:
I’m struggling with the game in motion now and how gerd rightly stated,it now looks like the older game.I’m even struggling going back to 19.

There’s no doubt fifa20 will have the modes,atmosphere,the spine tingling aesthetics.

It’s always a game sadly that shows so much promise in the alpha/beta and final stages of development but always reverts to being totally geared for offensive play and quick hands shortly after release..The error and inconsistencies are always patched out and everything just becomes more accurate and streamlined for quick play.

Fifa19 out of the box was first class..There were bugs and kinks that needed ironing out-but interms of gameplay it was weighty,challenging,difficult to get forward and the AI was robust and difficult to play.The variety in how you could play and how you had to use build up play and break teams down completely vanished after the first patch..The gaps got wider,reaction times increased and it become much easier to control the ball..Even the ball physics changed and felt off...they nerfed it.

I really feel for the guys that develop fifa..They have the talent and want to make a simulation(they’ve more then proved this,and they can)..Problem is the casual crowd don’t want that and they always buckle and pander to those users.
You’re right.

I’ve always wondered why they don’t just release two games every year and have two different teams working on two different titles:

Have FIFA 20, FIFA 21 etc which would include career, h2h seasons etc. The gameplay slow, realistic, organic.

Then have a FUT 2020, FUT 2021 etc. And it’s basically FUT with all the stuff that comes with it.

They’d make twice the income, surely? PES guys would come over and try it. I hate how they ram FUT and it’s awful gameplay down our throats every damn year.

You’re right.

I’ve always wondered why they don’t just release two games every year and have two different teams working on two different titles:

Have FIFA 20, FIFA 21 etc which would include career, h2h seasons etc. The gameplay slow, realistic, organic.

Then have a FUT 2020, FUT 2021 etc. And it’s basically FUT with all the stuff that comes with it.

They’d make twice the income, surely? PES guys would come over and try it. I hate how they ram FUT and it’s awful gameplay down our throats every damn year.
I think the #1 biggest point I wish I could get through to EA - which would give them a huge boost in sales, too (because idiots like me would buy two games, as you've just said) - is...

You cannot make sim fans and arcade fans happy with the same gameplay. Even with sliders - there will be things you can't "fix" to drag it into reality (or the other way, if that's what you want). Customise, yes. Entirely change? No.

Having a Career Mode in a football game, made to emulate the real football world around you - in the same package as a mode that lets you use 99-rated megastars to play "Blitz Ball" and appeal to a younger audience, using the same core gameplay and physics (even down to the pace of passing - real is "boring" and doesn't allow as many attacks, right)...

With Career Mode, you're making the best of a gameplay that isn't really designed for you. Which is why they've held off on updating Career Mode, maybe?

The fact that we're now getting CM news the same week as Volta is not a good sign. Classic PR move for when you want to bury something. How much you wanna bet that Volta news comes within a day or so of CM news, with EA hoping that the Volta stuff will bury everyone's disappointment over CM?

I’m kind of hoping Career Mode is the same old crap because I really don’t want to buy two football games again this year, it’s a huge waste of money dropping £100 on two titles every Sep.

If they give us loads of cool Career Mode news I’ll end up buying Fifa again, digitally, and regretting it after a month.

Yes I’m weird.

Edit: Same applies to PES too. If it’s same old crap on ML, I can’t see me wanting to play it for an entire year.

You cannot make sim fans and arcade fans happy with the same gameplay. Even with sliders - there will be things you can't "fix" to drag it into reality (or the other way, if that's what you want). Customise, yes. Entirely change? No.

Funny thing is, they don't seem to have much trouble shipping different gameplay in the same game. Go play the world cup mode in fifa 18 and compare it to CM gameplay, or the women national teams since fifa 16. Some say it's the same thing with player stats making it feel different, but to me it feels almost like a different game (and much better than regular CM gameplay).

Personally I think they already know how different their target audiences are, but why change when profits are rising year after year. It will take a bad year or two for them to start caring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom