• I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
Im so old Match Day 1 and The first Football Manager - both on Spectrum
I also had Emlyn Hughes, Kenny Dalglish and Peter Beardleys football games - Peter Beardsleys was so bad I took it back.
Loved the Footballer of the Year games

Sorry off topic!
Match Day 1 & 2 and Emlyn Hughes Soccer are my first memories of football gaming and take me back to good times when life was simple and fun. A time when I lived in the UK which I miss a great deal.

WH Smith, 1.99 or 9.99 for a game.

Sorry to mention it again and it is an old argument but using full manual you can still feel the difference between the players. It is hard to explain but you really can.

Also, there doesnt need to be a big adustment to sliders maybe to injury frequency and first touch error but nothing that will cause problems to the game elsewhere.

And personally i find that going from manual (when playing the cpu) to assisted (when playing against my brother in law) has actually helped me to be a better assisted player too. I personally don’t struggle to change between the two and i am not a great player.

I know manual is not for everyone (it wasnt for me until about 5 years ago) but if some are finding the game too easy it may be an idea to change gradually. Maybe semi assisted passing and assisted shooting and then when it is getting easier again semi for both and see how it goes from there.
Yes I have to agree with this. There is still a big stats difference on manual. I think in this version of Fifa, it is much harder to misplace short, easy passes, due to the ball feeling a bit velcro-like on the floor. The idea behind it is to make the user try and replicate the flow of a football match, instead of trying to unrealistically pass forward at every opportunity, so in that regards, EA do a half decent job. I do think you have to play the game in a certain way, or make a considered effort to play the game in a certain way, so there could be an argument that the AI (rather than your controller settings) should force you to play in a certain way, but still, it's done well enough.

Only thing I can suggest slider wise is to increase CPU marking whenever you play a lower quality side. This seems to stop the CPU from dropping really deep (it's very hard to break down deep defensive teams on manual - could even later line height) - I sometimes think manual becomes harder when you have too many passing options, although that could just be me.

I've also increased first touch error by about 20 for both me and the CPU, increased run frequency for me to about 80, decreased pass speed for the CPU to 47 and increased passing error to about 57. My passing speed is at 57 and the my power bar is 54. I'm playing full manual on medium speed, with 10 minute halves on ultimate difficulty. It seems well balanced speed wise. I can't enjoy full manual on slow. Find it completely disengaging and boring. I think the user can dictate the pace of the game by how they play anyway. One extra thing I have noticed is that from playing on manual, there is a tendency to want to always score the perfect goal. I'm having a lot of joy hitting early crosses and scoring either directly from them, or from deflections or bad clearances.

We need to gather up some screenshots / videos of this happening across a lot of peoples' save games. I'll check out the PL in my career mode tonight. If we can present them with (enough) evidence, I'm sure we can get them to tweak something...

If anyone has video evidence of issues, please be sure to tweet them at @fifaspider. Hasn't been confirmed but it appears to be a dev who is collecting evidence of things to fix.

If anyone has video evidence of issues, please be sure to tweet them at @fifaspider. Hasn't been confirmed but it appears to be a dev who is collecting evidence of things to fix.
Given the aggressive tone of videos he's retweeting (rather than simply archiving), and no official EA account has any interaction with him (let alone follows him), there is no chance that's an EA employee (as he claims), despite the photos of a FIFA cake. Absolutely zero chance. IMO.

In his replies to people he's said things like the "game has so many issues right now" and "they might fix them". If it's a real account, it's a rogue account from someone who I'd imagine has very little influence...

Last edited:
Have you set "no transfers in first transfer window" by any chance? (Same question to you, @P34SEMM.) I only ask because it may just be that they're not "allowed" to sign anyone because of this.

If not, I wonder if it's a bug where the game has applied that setting even though you haven't... (Or not. Just a thought!)

It seems to be a bug with generated players, I had one that refused three or four loans, so I sold him! Another one refused three loans then did go on loan ok :)

Finally got to try FIFA 19/PES 2019. I think FIFA is a massive step up this year, I wasn't keen on FIFA 18 but the tactics make a huge difference, the bigger ball is welcome and you can actually do things without using skill moves. PES feels like a game from decades past in terms of the controls and mechanics, and the menu system just cements that feeling, I don't know how much longer it will survive in all honesty.

Thats the RS (Right Stick) the OP said R2, as in the button. which is sprint.

The OP (which is always me) meant R3. He (I) also added "stick" to the R2 typo.. but I guess it can be confusing. He (I) do apologize for the incovenience, however.

I play FUT squad battle at the mo. Amateur is okay.

Anytime I go semi-pro and my defence is like thin air. The only reason I don't lose 10-0 is because CPU deliberately misses.

My midfield is Huddlestone and Woods with Defoe up front.

From the three helpful posts above it sounds like I need to play around with tactics more and get beefier MF/FWs.

If tactical def works for you that's a good start (before I spend ages fine-tuning for someone to then tell me tactical def is useless on manual).

Sorry, mate, I messed up. I actually play legacy defending. I mix those two up.

Given the aggressive tone of videos he's retweeting (rather than simply archiving), and no official EA account has any interaction with him (let alone follows him), there is no chance that's an EA employee (as he claims), despite the photos of a FIFA cake. Absolutely zero chance. IMO.

In his replies to people he's said things like the "game has so many issues right now" and "they might fix them". If it's a real account, it's a rogue account from someone who I'd imagine has very little influence...

Hmm, I haven't seen those tweets but still, you definitely could be right. I did have a direct message conversation with him that made me think he might be someone working directly on the game - not all devs are happy with the direction of the game or EA's policies after all - but yeah, can't be sure.

On the other hand, it can't hurt, could it?

The problem with pace (in both games) for me is the difference between jogging and real urgency. But I don't know how they can change things...

Pressing the sprint button doesn't really make a player sprint like they really mean it - jogging and sprinting are so similar in terms of speed. At the beginning of that clip, the guy running onto the pass is seemingly running through mud, even though you're sprinting - and everyone around him is sprinting at the same speed he is, even though he should be desperately trying to reach that ball.

But everyone holds sprint down all game long (without penalty) - when you watch back highlights from FUT TV or whatever it's called, you can put an overlay of both players' controllers on-screen, and they literally never let go of sprint, because they don't have to. (Both games give no penalty for perma-sprinting and I hate it, to be honest.)

Also, if you change the balance between jogging and sprinting, everyone will fill their squads with fast players and just pace-abuse all game long.

So this is a nice balanced way of doing things - but also, it doesn't represent football, IMO.

What the perfect solution is, I don't know - would adding a huge fatigue penalty help? (But the modern game is incredibly fit and physical, so would it be realistic?)

I agree with your first bit about pace; not sure about the second.

Yeah, the sense of urgency/intensity isn't there like it should be. Part of this I think is how AI controlled players often lack the urgency they should have. There's still that age old problem of teammates jogging after the play when in real life they'd be busting a lung to get back. I swear this was better in the beta but toned down for full release due to complaints about overpowered teammate defending.

The other bit of it I think is that there's not quite the burst that truly quick players have IRL. I have Rashford in my FUT team and sometimes he plays strangely sluggish. His pace is a huge weapon for me, but sometimes that initial acceleration burst isn't there which is what he's known for.

But I disagree about sprinting the whole game without penalty. If you follow the FUT crowd, one of the more popular complaints is that players are dead, sluggish, and can barely move in the final thirty minutes of matches. And one of the most highly recommended strategies right now is to sub pacey players to exploit the pace difference late in the game. Obviously that's always been a popular strategy but this year it's even more effective. And if you follow the meta of the top divisions, none of the top players are just holding down sprint the whole time and one of the main strategies for breaking down the packed AI defenses is to not sprint, since AI defenders are far better at shadowing those movements than human controlled defenders, and it's actually easier to "walk" through the AI defense.

All this isn't to say the stamina system couldn't be improved. Personally I'm of the mind that a more advanced stamina system would highly benefit the game, especially online, because if done right it would encourage more thoughtful play, more strategic use of sprinting, and would make non-stop counter attacking play a less viable strategy. That said, considering the track record of this game, I'm actually pretty surprised how much more stamina plays a role this year.

My two biggest transfer annoyances are:

1. In the January window you can no longer buy a player who's eligible for a Bosman (ie over 23 and less than 6 months on his contract), now you can only sign on a pre-contract which is stupid.

2. a bunch of times I get reports that a player on my shortlist has been approached by a club for a loan, I go to the player to try to loan them and the reply is "the club isn't interested in sending him out on loan" so why did you accept a loan from this other fucking club then? Sheesh.

@mfmaxpower

Can I ask you some FUT related questions?

I am thinking of giving this a try (gulp). The AI in Career Mode just isn’t doing it for me right now and I’m getting bored. I am enjoying the game on co-op seasons though so wonder if I should at least give FUT an honest attempt rather than slate it without really exploring it.

Anyway...

* Is it possible to play online games only? Not really interested in playing those weird/easy matches on Amateur level like you have to on myClub.

* What crowd chants do you get, does it depend on stadium card you assign to your club? Or something else?

* This next question is most important to me...I have read that in previous Fifa games, EA stick the mode on Fast speed and it can’t be changed. I’m happy with current default speed on Fifa 19 but would you say FUT is quicker this year than, say, a normal online HeadToHead Seasons match?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions :)

My two biggest transfer annoyances are:

1. In the January window you can no longer buy a player who's eligible for a Bosman (ie over 23 and less than 6 months on his contract), now you can only sign on a pre-contract which is stupid.

2. a bunch of times I get reports that a player on my shortlist has been approached by a club for a loan, I go to the player to try to loan them and the reply is "the club isn't interested in sending him out on loan" so why did you accept a loan from this other fucking club then? Sheesh.

Hey pal,

I'm drawing from memory but I think the first point regarding the Bosman is accurate. You can only sign a pre contract with a club 6 months prior to the end of your present contract end date and then only join that club at the end of the present contract. Otherwise, clubs have to bid. Players are generally cheaper with that case. The recent Sanchez and Ozil issue at Arsenal is a good example.

I'm still enjoying the game offline post patch. Playing on default sliders and speed which I never thought I would say. I am over 90 team spirit (I think) and seem to be hitting 5 goals a game on Legendary with A.C in Serie A. Gonna finish the season and see what honour I finish with then up it to Ultimate difficulty. If that becomes too easy, semi-manual etc. Apart from that, I haven't enjoyed and offline game off footy like this for years..... and years.

Im so old Match Day 1 and The first Football Manager - both on Spectrum
I also had Emlyn Hughes, Kenny Dalglish and Peter Beardleys football games - Peter Beardsleys was so bad I took it back.
Loved the Footballer of the Year games

Sorry off topic!

My parents always tell a story about Match Day 1 on the spectrum. I came running through the room crying saying I hate them. When my dad went to the computer to see, United had thumped me 5-0 in the final haha. They always ruined my day back then. Even on the computer.

I'm still enjoying the game offline post patch. Playing on default sliders and speed which I never thought I would say. I am over 90 team spirit (I think) and seem to be hitting 5 goals a game on Legendary with A.C in Serie A. Gonna finish the season and see what honour I finish with then up it to Ultimate difficulty. If that becomes too easy, semi-manual etc. Apart from that, I haven't enjoyed and offline game off footy like this for years..... and years.
I need to reset all the sliders and try default post patch. For some reason I cant get into this game. 18 IMO felt more fluid. This one seems... somewhat clunky. Start-stop, fast-slow. Ball, players, everything.
I have few matches and always going back to PES. Should give it a chance and stick to it for longer period of time. Maybe the feeling is there coz i keep switching between the two and PES is soooo damn smooth this year!
Ps. And the lack of fouls is killing me. I never thought ill be switching to PES to get some freekicks..

Haha. Yeah switching to PES to get free kicks is an anomaly.
Not really sure why I have always been a PES player. I couldn't bare Fifa 18 for more than 3 games offline and this Fifa is closer to what I like in PES. Obviously not the same but if you just play that you may like it? Each to our own though. I find Fifa can suck you into bad habits though but when I feel fresh and play, I hardly use sprint if it's necessary and play it like PES, slow looking for passes and let teammate make runs. When I do that it really shines for me. Had to also lose the holding sprint trying to win the ball back straight away and keep formation. For me, the CPU plays better that way.

Hey pal,

I'm drawing from memory but I think the first point regarding the Bosman is accurate. You can only sign a pre contract with a club 6 months prior to the end of your present contract end date and then only join that club at the end of the present contract. Otherwise, clubs have to bid. Players are generally cheaper with that case. The recent Sanchez and Ozil issue at Arsenal is a good example.

No you're missing the point I'm trying to make, I should be able to buy a player that only has a few months left on his contract (hell that's what Newcastle did a couple of seasons back to survive they bought 4 or 5 players from France dirt cheap because their contracts were nearly out and their clubs were keen to get anything for them in January rather than nothing in a few months, Sissoko being the most prominent, they got him for £2m when his market value was minimum 5x that).

For some reason in January I cannot buy these players, my hunch is it's EA's extremely lazy attempt to fix the double transfer bug.

No you're missing the point I'm trying to make, I should be able to buy a player that only has a few months left on his contract (hell that's what Newcastle did a couple of seasons back to survive they bought 4 or 5 players from France dirt cheap because their contracts were nearly out and their clubs were keen to get anything for them in January rather than nothing in a few months, Sissoko being the most prominent, they got him for £2m when his market value was minimum 5x that).

For some reason in January I cannot buy these players, my hunch is it's EA's extremely lazy attempt to fix the double transfer bug.

I get ya. Yes, you should.

@mfmaxpower

Can I ask you some FUT related questions?

I am thinking of giving this a try (gulp). The AI in Career Mode just isn’t doing it for me right now and I’m getting bored. I am enjoying the game on co-op seasons though so wonder if I should at least give FUT an honest attempt rather than slate it without really exploring it.

Anyway...

* Is it possible to play online games only? Not really interested in playing those weird/easy matches on Amateur level like you have to on myClub.

* What crowd chants do you get, does it depend on stadium card you assign to your club? Or something else?

* This next question is most important to me...I have read that in previous Fifa games, EA stick the mode on Fast speed and it can’t be changed. I’m happy with current default speed on Fifa 19 but would you say FUT is quicker this year than, say, a normal online HeadToHead Seasons match?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions :)

I would definitely recommend giving it a go though just know going in that FUT, even if it's just single player, has it's own frustrations.

Yes, you can play whatever you want in FUT. That could be online multiplayer or single player. Because of the new content they've added in the last couple years, single player FUT is just as viable as multiplayer, and you can do both (which is what I do).

For single player, the two main FUT game modes are Squad Battles and Seasons. In both you can choose your own difficulty and no, you're not required to play Pro or Amateur or whatever games. I mostly play Squad Battles on Legendary and most matches feel about the same difficulty level of a CL game in Career Mode. Every now and then you'll get a pretty easy matchup, if the team you play has poor chemistry, but most games are pretty intense.

Seasons I don't play as much as it's a really undercooked mode and the rewards aren't great, but you can choose a difficulty level and then play out a season's length of games against a variety of teams. For me the only reason to play it is if you've already completed your SB matches for the day and don't want to play multiplayer.

For stadium chants, you're correct - they are based on whatever team badge you select. Something they added this year is that your FUT club name is now displayed in the stadiums as banners, so people are having fun with creative and weird names. Something maybe to keep in mind when you create your club.

Gamespeed in FUT is set to Normal and cannot be changed. And I'm pretty sure the accusations that FUT was set to Fast in the past were totally false and what people interpreted as Fast gamespeed was just down to playing elite-level players with chemistry boosts. And that for me is maybe the biggest negative of the mode - games can be too fast and because most teams are filled with the best players in the world with stat boosts, it can get a bit silly.

Just be aware that right now playing Squad Battles isn't the best experience because every team you play against is set to possession and sitting deep tactics. We've not heard official word for why this is but it's frustrating - if you want a challenge, you're in for one because when the CPU sits deep with good players on high chem, it's a bitch to break them down.

Building a team and experimenting with loads of different players is for me quite fun in FUT. Gameplay isn't always the best because it can feel like FIFA on a cocktail of steroids and amphetamines, but I recommend at least giving it a go. Especially if you're disappointed with the level of challenge in CM.

Hello to everyone,

this year i give fifa a go. Nice playing football game, well done EA!!! I never thought to say these words when it comes to fifa. Especially the offline mode, these incredible presentation of each league and each cup and all the chants with many little details. For example this Fabregas shit, when he playing in the emirates stadium and every contact the fans of arsenal shout him down. Very cool stuff and I'm amazed of what i see in this game. I think this is the best Fifa i played ever.

Ok...now some, for me, important and the foundation of a very god football game is the flow, the smooth fluid animation. Every animation transfers into the next without look like something is wrong. And thats the big problem of this fantastic game.

I play it the last two weeks every day and I'm a real PES lover and i have a really good time with it, but today i switched back after two weeks and holy shit...in parts of animation fifa ist miles behind PES. No fanboy trash, but EA had to overhaul their animation systems. Its (sorry guys) ridiculous.
This very good game with better animation... Dont get me wrong, priority is the gameplay, the physics but none of this means anything, when it feels good, but look unnatural.

I'm happy for two good games this year and looking forward to konamis patch end of this month.

Over&out

The key for me really enjoying this (Just spent 2 hours on it which is a long time for me) is finding the right sliders on legendary. The main changes from a few tweaks on default sliders is ramping up the run frequency for both ..just makes it so much more exciting

Back
Top Bottom