FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

I'm really baffled after reading many posts like this (read on another forum):

"If someone has not noticed it yet final version gameplay (as all the years) is worst than the gameplay demo.

here are some of the Things That, in my opinion, are worse in the final version (I'm only talking about offline gameplay aainst the cpu):

- Game is faster anche Generally if you play at slow (and can not touch the speed and acceleration slides' cause they mess up everything else)
- Dribbling have become too easy once again
- Cpu defenders fall asleep once again (not as in 15 but still they defend worst)
- Attackers agility have been increased (especially When they run with the ball)
- Ball physic is different. The ball was heavier before.
- Stamina decreases less than in the demo "

So the final version seems not to be like the demo!
The dream is gone!
I think this year i'll skip both games (PES and Fifa)

I can assure you that the retail game plays like the demo

https://youtu.be/aeUIkOUS00Y

Playing Bournemouth (as Liverpool) in the league, tight game, Bournemouth defending for their lives and doing it well.

Approaching the final whistle, I managed to get a quick ball into the box, and the way Sturridge moved between the defenders and moved his neck to power this header...

Man, I love it.

Love this game to death.

Celebrated like an absolute lunatic.

Grading each's gameplay about the same makes sense to me, but I don't know how you can grade each game on equal footing when so much of PES outside of gameplay is really poor. From commentary, to licenses, stadiums, to online performance, to menus, to updated rosters, tactics, stats, etc., FIFA is at such a higher level that you can't objectively say it doesn't deserve a higher rating as an entire video game experience.

Seriously, I think at times PES is getting some kind of boost in the ratings based on nostalgia or something. If you go from playing other AAA titles, like Madden, NBA 2K, FIFA, or games in other genres, and then you switch on PES, it's quite shocking the drop in quality in many areas.

But it's really disappointing to see many reviews criticizing FIFA for going the more realistic/sim route this year. Really makes you worry for what direction EA will take with next year's game, especially when they see Konami getting so much praise for making such an easier, arcade-oriented game.

Sweet Jesus.

"They are marking it down for being REAL SIMULATION!They are trying to kill our REAL SIMULATION using reviews!"

"IT IS A NOSTALGIA TRIP!DON'T LISTEN"

Instead of just shrugging it off, you go looking for some gigantic conspiracy or dream up some half-baked justification for opposing views. You know fine well someone like Asim plays football games as passionately as anyone else on this or other forums. You know also, fine well, that some of these same reviewers/sites have rated FIFA higher in the past and did so by claiming it to be a better simulation. Once the opinion changes and preference for another product is articulated however, you can't just say "well, that is their opinion" but instead need to assert that they are all of a sudden overcome with nostalgia, and want to play arcade games. I mean, c'mon!

Oh, and by the way, there is not one review I have read yet that says FIFA is not as good this year or perhaps not as good as PES because it is more simulation/realistic. Not one. All you are doing there is projecting your own view on to theirs and making wild assumptions that that is what they mean.

No idea why you are so clearly butt-hurt over a few reviews. For the record, I don't agree with much of what has been said in the reviews for either game; mixture of lofty claims and hyperbole riddle most reviews of the two; regards both positives and negatives of each game.

Last edited:

https://youtu.be/aeUIkOUS00Y

Playing Bournemouth (as Liverpool) in the league, tight game, Bournemouth defending for their lives and doing it well.

Approaching the final whistle, I managed to get a quick ball into the box, and the way Sturridge moved between the defenders and moved his neck to power this header...

Man, I love it.

Love this game to death.

Celebrated like an absolute lunatic.

Love how all the Bournemouth fans in the crowd have their heads in their hands!

Oh, and by the way, there is not one review I have read yet that says FIFA is not as good this year or perhaps not as good as PES because it is more simulation/realistic. Not one. All you are doing there is projecting your own view on to theirs and making wild assumptions that that is what they mean.
I'd say this from earlier is a reviewer marking the game down for being realistic, albeit without the comparison to PES.

As for the reviews, I've just read this on Twitter.

"Slightly slower, with more focus on build up play" is actually listed as a negative in GamesRadar's #FIFA16 review.

Imagine being one of the developers and reading that.

FIFA 17 will be shit as a result of these reviews, and 16 might even get patched to death at a later date.

Enjoy it while you can, folks.

(Imagine PES being marked down for being exciting...)

We need to hold on and see how sales for the game are. I seriously doubt FIFA 16 will not sell well in comparison to PES.

Played a Ligue 2 exhibition game earlier and it was superb. Passes going astray, poor touches. Loved it.

I'd say this from earlier is a reviewer marking the game down for being realistic, albeit without the comparison to PES.

Same review:

"There's also less of a gulf in play quality, meaning the likes of Ronaldo won't be able to rampage through your lines like before. This is one improvement that feels like a misstep. Impact players are supposed to cause trouble, to make you think differently about how to stop them, but here Messi is simpler to boss, Bale easier to catch. FIFA 16 dulls superstars’ sheen to pursue more of an equally weighted team game focusing on slower build-up play."

That to me is not the definition of realistic. Dulling a superstar's impact isn't realistic and when I say that I wouldn't say PES has it aced either, but it does appreciate the game in real life does have them, and they are stoppable but demand to be stopped. The professional sport these days does boast a superstar who has scored EIGHT times in two games after all. Shifting the whole games focus on slow build up play isn't entirely representative of realism either, as not every team does so or needs to do so. Reading the review, the parts which touch on the gameplay, suggests the reviewer in question feels the balance is off. Also, these reviews are sub-edited anyway, and often it is about saying as much as possible in as little words as possible before publishing.

There is debate to be had that both games balance is off but sim v. arcade? Nah, not at all. And if hardcore fans keep reducing the debate to sim v. arcade when it simply isn't so, then these games will never get to where they should, which is why I would like a third contender.

Uh, I rampage down the wings with quicker players quite frequently. Not FIFA 15 levels, but if I make a bit of space and take big touches, I more often than not have a lot of joy down the wing (skipping past and over challenges).

Sweet Jesus.

"They are marking it down for being REAL SIMULATION!They are trying to kill our REAL SIMULATION using reviews!"

"IT IS A NOSTALGIA TRIP!DON'T LISTEN"

Instead of just shrugging it off, you go looking for some gigantic conspiracy or dream up some half-baked justification for opposing views. You know fine well someone like Asim plays football games as passionately as anyone else on this or other forums. You know also, fine well, that some of these same reviewers/sites have rated FIFA higher in the past and did so by claiming it to be a better simulation. Once the opinion changes and preference for another product is articulated however, you can't just say "well, that is their opinion" but instead need to assert that they are all of a sudden overcome with nostalgia, and want to play arcade games. I mean, c'mon!

No idea why you are so clearly butt-hurt over a few reviews. For the record, I don't agree with much of what has been said in the reviews for either game; mixture of lofty claims and hyperbole riddle most reviews of the two; regards both positives and negatives of each game.

Sweet Jesus yourself my man.

I couldn't care less what game people prefer to play, but I don't like seeing these developers -both EA and Konami - receive undeserved praise. I have high standards, I want the best football experience possible with these games, and it's part of the problem when the gaming press do half-ass jobs.

Read the Eurogamer review of PES. It's excellent. Fair and balanced. Sings its praise but points out the issues. Too many PES reviews talk about the king being back and best football game ever without doing due diligence for when it comes to the game's shortcomings. It's no different from last year last year with FiFA and the press not mentioning the shambolic defensive AI.

It's not about being butt-hurt. It's about having higher expectations.

Same review:

"There's also less of a gulf in play quality, meaning the likes of Ronaldo won't be able to rampage through your lines like before. This is one improvement that feels like a misstep. Impact players are supposed to cause trouble, to make you think differently about how to stop them, but here Messi is simpler to boss, Bale easier to catch. FIFA 16 dulls superstars’ sheen to pursue more of an equally weighted team game focusing on slower build-up play."

That to me is not the definition of realistic. Dulling a superstar's impact isn't realistic and when I say that I wouldn't say PES has it aced either, but it does appreciate the game in real life does have them, and they are stoppable but demand to be stopped. The professional sport these days does boast a superstar who has scored EIGHT times in two games after all. Shifting the whole games focus on slow build up play isn't entirely representative of realism either, as not every team does so or needs to do so. Reading the review, the parts which touch on the gameplay, suggests the reviewer in question feels the balance is off. Also, these reviews are sub-edited anyway, and often it is about saying as much as possible in as little words as possible before publishing.

There is debate to be had that both games balance is off but sim v. arcade? Nah, not at all. And if hardcore fans keep reducing the debate to sim v. arcade when it simply isn't so, then these games will never get to where they should, which is why I would like a third contender.

Thing is, that's just an example of a totally incorrect depiction of the game. People got used to last year where if you had highly skilled, pacey players, they could destroy defenses in a very unrealistic way due to incompetent defensive AI and imbalanced gameplay mechanics.

I play as Dortmund, for example, and have no issue ripping people up with Reus. The difference is the opportunities are less than last year because of a variety of changes while you actually have to have some skill with utilizing knock-ons at the correct moments. You can't just hold down the sprint button (like *cough* PES) and let magic happen like in the past.

Again, that's just another example of what I'm talking about - a poor job by a reviewer.

*And yeah, the sim-arcade debate isn't always helpful but it's not entirely off-base either. FIFA has clearly focused on authenticity with its features, both gameplay and non-gameplay, whereas this year PES has fallen in the trap that FIFA once was guilty of, which is making the spectacular too easy to accomplish, which for many of us reduces the experience into a more arcade, sensationalist experience at the expense of realism, stats, and fundamentals.

Last edited:

I see your point.

I share the same fear as the poster you replied to, though, which is that EA's higher-ups look at the metacritic and make a judgement on future development based on that.

The review I mention clearly states that build up play is a "negative", and come on, build up play is essential and something a lot of us (including me) have wanted for a long time, so whilst it makes valid points about the superstar edge being dulled somewhat (I admit I have trouble breaking past a defender with a player you'd imagine should outpace him), that particular "negative" is a massive positive in the eyes of us looking for a better recreation of reality.

That's what I want personally, regardless of how much that takes away from the game being a game (and how much excitement it may take out of the game a lot of the time), and the same applies to the level of thought required to get anywhere.

In both games last year, pointing the stick towards the goal (not a player) and pressing pass a few times would get you there eventually. When a game comes along that severely punishes you for being so lazy and for trying to skip the thought process, I'll be in my element.

I genuinely feel like FIFA has got a little bit closer to that now, 6 years after the FIFA 10 producer claimed that FIFA 10 would be the "thinking man's football game", whereas PES (for my money) is still in the territory of "keep pressing pass and pointing forward and eventually you'll get there".

There's lots to do before either game can be considered massively different, I think, but I see genuine positive change in both. I'm having a blast with FIFA this year whereas I instantly disliked 15.

Sweet Jesus yourself my man.

I couldn't care less what game people prefer to play, but I don't like seeing these developers -both EA and Konami - receive undeserved praise. I have high standards, I want the best football experience possible with these games, and it's part of the problem when the gaming press do half-ass jobs.

Read the Eurogamer review of PES. It's excellent. Fair and balanced. Sings its praise but points out the issues. Too many PES reviews talk about the king being back and best football game ever without doing due diligence for when it comes to the game's shortcomings. It's no different from last year last year with FiFA and the press not mentioning the shambolic defensive AI.

It's not about being butt-hurt. It's about having higher expectations.

Nearly every FIFA review mentions it has better presentation and a wealth of game modes PES can't match. Every PES review commends the game for being an excellent gameplay experience (in their opinion) out on the field and it capturing other elements of the beautiful game well and in a fashion FIFA has not. FIFA likewise receives it nods for it's technical prowess. PES for its improvements.

There is no collective nostalgia trip, no boot camp where they all play the game in the same environment and decide to arrive at similar conclusions in a bid to do one over EVIL EA (the irony being that Konami are hardly press darlings) No agreement between themselves to ignore faults in either game or refuse to comment on them. There is no conspiracy to kill "simulation" or mass migration to "arcade" play. It just a few reviews on games millions will play and find out for themselves how they feel is all.

We need to hold on and see how sales for the game are. I seriously doubt FIFA 16 will not sell well in comparison to PES.

@ anton: Wasnt FIFA outselling PES on PS2 around 2005/6 when PES was by far and away the best game and FIFA was awful? Could be wrong. Im pretty sure that was the case and like you I am sure FIFA will out sell PES this year although could be a bit closer this year judging by reviews.

@no one in particular: If the metacritic rating is lower though then you can imagine FIFA 17 will be a different experience to this year as corporate suits love a nice shiny metacritic score. Thats not something that is good for the section of the community that are really enjoying this years game.

I said in another post that I can see this years FIFA being the series PES 5/6. Im not saying FIFA 16 is as good, just that this could be the best FIFA of the era and wont be easily followed. Hope I am wrong though and EA build on FIFA 16. Hope and EA in the same sentence :shiver:

Last edited:

Guys can someone help me?

Im a bit of a ball (soccer ball) freak and want to play the game with the old world cup balls (Jabulani, Fevernova, Questra, etc). I cant see them in the catalogue this year but they were there last year. A FUT list for FIFA16 tho lists that those balls ARE in the game

Does anyone know how to unlock these?

And when you unlock them do they become available to use in every match online and offline?

Thanks

Nearly every FIFA review mentions it has better presentation and a wealth of game modes PES can't match. Every PES review commends the game for being an excellent gameplay experience (in their opinion) out on the field and it capturing other elements of the beautiful game well and in a fashion FIFA has not. FIFA likewise receives it nods for it's technical prowess. PES for its improvements.

There is no collective nostalgia trip, no boot camp where they all play the game in the same environment and decide to arrive at similar conclusions in a bid to do one over EVIL EA (the irony being that Konami are hardly press darlings) No agreement between themselves to ignore faults in either game or refuse to comment on them. There is no conspiracy to kill "simulation" or mass migration to "arcade" play. It just a few reviews on games millions will play and find out for themselves how they feel is all.

I'm a bit baffled by this whole conspiracy theory thing you're on about. Don't know where that came from.

My only point is that I think it's safe to say that FIFA and PES's gameplay are pretty comparable in level of quality overall; they both play different versions of football, both with their strengths and weaknesses.

Thing is, beyond gameplay FIFA absolutely destroys PES. Like you said, this comes up in the reviews. So, they have comparable quality in gameplay, there's a huge disparity in non-gameplay features, and yet review scores on average are pretty much the same for each. To me this doesn't quite make sense.

Does the stadium wich you play has any influence on the gameplay or am I being crazy here ?

I really enjoyed my first match playing on the other stadium, but at Bernabeu it was a different experience for the worse, the CPU sometimes turned the beast mode on (world class) out of nothing,'passing the ball at light speed, and in some games it was quite frustating how I felt unable to make at least some physic contacts, they seem to get away with pressure far too easy because of the way they turn with the ball under possession, and once I dominated ball possession and the other team played on their own half, once I reached the final third, it seemed almost impossible to create space, all the few shots are easily blocked, it reminds me a bit Pes 2012 on supertar when it aas released. It seems that the CPU Ai has a flawless sense of convergin space and has lightspeed reaction times.

I can feel that this game could be absolutelty fantastic without some of these annoyences that ruin the balance of the gameplay between you and the cpu (at least on world class level).

Wont be surprised that the reviewers of gaming websites actually play Fifa for approx 1-2 week before moving on to reviewing other games and never touching it again.
They would never have the time to learn and appreciate the game thus choosing the easier and more casual oriented game --> PES

Just hope that EA would actually realise that there are much more rave and encouraging reviews from the more "hardcore" fanbase here and the official forum despite the number of gaming website reviews praising PES over fifa and themetacritic score.
After all we are the people with the vast experiences from all the previous Fifas as well as the good old PES3-6 and would play the game to death.

Last edited:

I noticed in some promo videos messi doing some motion capture yet in game he passes short balls with his right foot all the time & doesnt run, swing his arms like he does in real life. Player individuality is shocking.

I noticed in some promo videos messi doing some motion capture yet in game he passes short balls with his right foot all the time & doesnt run, swing his arms like he does in real life. Player individuality is shocking.

Well, he certainly elects to use his left foot the majority of the time in the retail version. Playing as Barca right now and it's very apparent.

Wont be surprised that the reviewers of gaming websites actually play Fifa for approx 1-2 week before moving on to reviewing other games and never touching it again.
They would never have the time to learn and appreciate the game thus choosing the easier and more casual oriented game --> PES

Just hope that EA would actually realise that there are much more rave and encouraging reviews from the more "hardcore" fanbase here and the official forum despite the number of gaming website reviews praising PES over fifa and themetacritic score.
After all we are the people with the vast experiences from all the previous Fifas as well as the good old PES3-6 and would play the game to death.

All the previous FIFAS from 08-14 you loved which were reviewed by these "casual" gamers who scored it higher and you likely championed those scores as proof of it being the superior product? Those "easier and more casual" FIFA's, yeah?

I understand where you're coming from curdstar on one of the earlier posts. My friend plays Ribery as a defender and he's better than my 80 something rated defenders! Ibra is played as a central midfielder and he's unstoppable. Certain players do have strengths and stand out but not always in the right way or how you'd expect. Maybe it's just how the stats system works or how they've been allocated.

So there's definitely individuality there but not always as pronounced or expected as PES.

All the previous FIFAS from 08-14 you loved which were reviewed by these "casual" gamers who scored it higher and you likely championed those scores as proof of it being the superior product? Those "easier and more casual" FIFA's, yeah?

Do I sound like a Fifa Fanboy who loved all the previous fifa?lol
Just wanted to say that EA should not take our reviews for granted as we would be the ones spending most time with football games.

Last edited:

Anybody tinkered with the Custom Tactics yet?

Fifa is actually good and playable against the AI this year, don't know what some reviewers have been smoking to rate it lower than 15.

And btw the only football game that Lami should only be allowed to play was Captain Tsubata because he's a damn corner cheater!!!! :P

Still butt-hurt I won? :SMUG:

Slow, sluggish is realistic now. You know there are many ways to play football other then passing it to death between your defenders before making a move yea? Fifa16 has one tempo and a very limited differentiating between player and teams either human controlled or vs. the CPU.

How any of you compare it the good old days of Pes and winning eleven is beyond me. It is a totally different interpretation of the beautiful game, not bad in many ways but not as good and completely misses some of the most important fundamentals of the game (other then actually going out and kicking it with your foot).

I loved Fifa14 next-gen for the first couple of weeks of playing but started to lose interest slowly given how skin deep the depth of the gameplay was and completely dropped after EA patched it i think half way after release making it a more of a typical Fifa game which is unplayable for me.

At the time PES was shit so i played the game that infuriated me less, but given this year's Pes doing a lot of things right i might skip this years Fifa because eventually it will be patched and any good point going for it will have been removed.

Also, none of the games i played In Pes 2016 felt the same, there really is no one way to play and you feel like every match has its own story from the the boring yet tense 0-0s to the crazy 5-5s going in to PKs. Sadly in Fifa 16 which i really want to like even after much time with the game i felt like yea this is how you have to play to be able to carve chances and score. gets boring i think

Also, what kind of pro's miss passing all over even the godammit championship i mean even in the sunday league normal passes are not hard unless your pressured and believe me you havn't learned how to play PES defensively when you think every team plays like Bayrn or Barca. You can defend smart and haven them miss all kinda passes especially tricky ones and this is the case for even Bayrn if you were playing with a similarly strong team against them.

Still each to his own i guess, but in this FIFA thread there are many pre assumptions about why people like PES this year which really bothers me for some strange reason cause at the end as said each to his own this year especially because FIFA 16 is definitely a step in the right direction for EA (i mean if this how they meant it to be, which i don't think so at the highest level of that giant corp.)

Slow, sluggish is realistic now. You know there are many ways to play football other then passing it to death between your defenders before making a move yea? Fifa16 has one tempo and a very limited differentiating between player and teams either human controlled or vs. the CPU.

How any of you compare it the good old days of Pes and winning eleven is beyond me. It is a totally different interpretation of the beautiful game, not bad in many ways but not as good and completely misses some of the most important fundamentals of the game (other then actually going out and kicking it with your foot).

I loved Fifa14 next-gen for the first couple of weeks of playing but started to lose interest slowly given how skin deep the depth of the gameplay was and completely dropped after EA patched it i think half way after release making it a more of a typical Fifa game which is unplayable for me.

At the time PES was shit so i played the game that infuriated me less, but given this year's Pes doing a lot of things right i might skip this years Fifa because eventually it will be patched and any good point going for it will have been removed.

Also, none of the games i played In Pes 2016 felt the same, there really is no one way to play and you feel like every match has its own story from the the boring yet tense 0-0s to the crazy 5-5s going in to PKs. Sadly in Fifa 16 which i really want to like even after much time with the game i felt like yea this is how you have to play to be able to carve chances and score. gets boring i think

Also, what kind of pro's miss passing all over even the godammit championship i mean even in the sunday league normal passes are not hard unless your pressured and believe me you havn't learned how to play PES defensively when you think every team plays like Bayrn or Barca. You can defend smart and haven them miss all kinda passes especially tricky ones and this is the case for even Bayrn if you were playing with a similarly strong team against them.

Still each to his own i guess, but in this FIFA thread there are many pre assumptions about why people like PES this year which really bothers me for some strange reason cause at the end as said each to his own this year especially because FIFA 16 is definitely a step in the right direction for EA (i mean if this how they meant it to be, which i don't think so at the highest level of that giant corp.)

If you're going for PES v Fifa please do so here.

I'd been playing the demo on Professional, so I continued with that with the retail. First match, I win 6-0, me Dortmund vs Hoffenheim. Crazy, crazy easy.

Finally, tried extensively Fifa 16 retail version post patch on PS4 with a friend who owns it.
I can confirm on Pro difficulty (player vs CPU) the game is really easy,too much easy, more more likely that in the demo, because of changes in "error trap" after patch day one.
You score when you want, because of the lack of AI pressure.
Tried to increase Marking slide to 75 and it becomes playable...
World class is off for me, too difficult.
Even the gameplay speed is just a bit faster,but acceptable (i reduce Sprint speed and acceleration speed to 49, both sides)
Also passing speed to 40..
In the demo everything was perfect.
I'm a bit disappointed, but not too much..
They had to keep things as in demo!
Why not?

Back
Top Bottom