FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Im using the same monitor for both so its the only thing I can think of. Just to be sure everyone else is finding the game speed the same as the demo arent they?
100% yes, I'd bet my house on it. It's the same.

Different TVs and monitors give the impression of different speeds - put it like this... Imagine a fixed camera looking at a player who moves from the left to the right of the screen, and he travels across the entire screen in 3 seconds. Played back on a 21" TV, and on a 500ft wide mega-screen, it will take him the same amount of time to get from one side to the other, but on the 500ft wide mega-screen, he will appear to be moving like a Ferrari, because he's covering a larger area.

Question for those with Early Access who have played online:

> What % of goals are from crosses?
> Can you work space through dribbling, CPU tackling seemed too accurate in the demo.
> Has constant pressuring returned? With less manuverability and passing accuracy, how hard is it to deal with a high backline and aggression.
> Is shooting tweaked at all, do low power shots still trigger side-footed technique even without the finesse button?
> How much is the result decided by skill or luck. With goals harder to attain and more CPU defensive control, are wide differences in user ability less apparent?
> I've seen 2 goals from crosses in about ten games. It's certainly not overpowered.

> Breaking through the midfield is very difficult - online I've played three games (don't want to use up all my hours) and there's only been one goal in every game. However, when I've played against teams that are more open (offline) - Ajax for example - that congestion hasn't been a problem.

> I've not suffered from constant pressure offline or online, YET. The online games have been very slow, very thought-out affairs, but also (admittedly) very frustrating when you go a goal down and can't break through that congested midfield.

> I've hit three low shots in the last few games by getting the power bar right (not achieved this in the demo) - but they're still not as hard as they should be. You can't hit a Gerrard.

> Team ability makes more of a difference this year than ever, I think. Playing in the pre-season tournament against the AI, I got beat by two French top-tier sides, but then against Toronto FC, it was like the difficulty level went down a notch, which I loved. It doesn't feel like "luck" to me in any way shape or form, yet.

Individuals don't stand out as much as they should, maybe, and yet if you have a pacey winger with a bit of skill, and you're playing against a more open team like Ajax, then you can run along the line all the way up to the box and outrun everyone.

All of the above is on Professional difficulty, with the occasional foray into World Class (which keeps the ball forever and isn't fun, so I avoid it).

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

100% yes, I'd bet my house on it. It's the same.

Different TVs and monitors give the impression of different speeds - put it like this... Imagine a fixed camera looking at a player who moves from the left to the right of the screen, and he travels across the entire screen in 3 seconds. Played back on a 21" TV, and on a 500ft wide mega-screen, it will take him the same amount of time to get from one side to the other, but on the 500ft wide mega-screen, he will appear to be moving like a Ferrari, because he's covering a larger area.

Yeh I am sure there would have been an uproar if the speed wasnt the same! It has emphasised to me though how important the game speed is, if they do change anything in a patch there will be merry hell.

One thing about what I originally said is that I use the same monitor for both PC and Xbox one, but something about my monitor must be messing up the speed of the xbox one cause fifa 16 is super fast on it!

Apologies, I thought you were talking about the full game.

It is the attack/defence level I'm referring to, yeah. I started a Be A Pro game as an Accrington Stanley striker, and during the game you can see what the CPU AI is doing (and it makes it easier to understand what happens when you play a "normal" match against the CPU - the decisions are the same). It makes quite severe changes and the way that they're implemented can destroy the base tactics.

During the first half (no goals), the level was set to the medium setting throughout (with the odd flick down one notch), but as soon as the second half kicked off, it was set to the second-most attacking setting, and once we scored, after going down a notch until the 70th minute, it was set to "park the bus".

When it was set to a more attacking setting, players weren't tracking back and bombing forward, making much poorer passes overall, but when it was set to "park the bus" it was keep-ball time with perfect passing accuracy. Almost like entirely different teams.

Auto-finesse does suck - it's looking like it's EA's implementation of someone shooting with their wrong foot, but it doesn't match up with the animation, or your intention, so it looks (and feels) weird.

Pass power is frustrating too, but it's not constant. One in every sixty passes, maybe.

Also, yes, the congestion in the midfield can feel "forced". I know exactly what you're referring to - when you play 3-4 games in a row where the midfield is the same, it doesn't feel natural. It feels like there's a "boost" being applied to the midfield to stop you being able to break through it.

But, that being said... The more I play the game, as someone else has said before me, the more you see little flashes of individuality (and team play styles) and it feels great. As Liverpool, playing against Ajax, and later on Dortmund, you don't have that midfield congestion - they play a lot more open football, and try to be a lot more dangerous. It's a throwback to FIFA 15 and the game gets a little bit fast-and-furious, but it's open and it's different from the other games.

I've been playing PES a lot too, and as much as I keep trying, I don't find myself getting anything out of it in comparison to how complex FIFA is. It's not perfect but it's a really fucking good game.

My concern now is that PES gets amazing reviews because it's fast and "fun", and FIFA gets terrible reviews because it's slow and "boring".

Imagine what FIFA 17 will turn into then...

Excellent post!
Glad to hear that there's a difference between midfield battles against attacking teams.
I watched Ajax yesterday : easy team to beat these days :P
I'm a bit less worried now, so thanks for your reaction.

But now you've got me worried for FIFA 17 :D

> I've seen 2 goals from crosses in about ten games. It's certainly not overpowered.

> Breaking through the midfield is very difficult - online I've played three games (don't want to use up all my hours) and there's only been one goal in every game. However, when I've played against teams that are more open (offline) - Ajax for example - that congestion hasn't been a problem.

> I've not suffered from constant pressure offline or online, YET. The online games have been very slow, very thought-out affairs, but also (admittedly) very frustrating when you go a goal down and can't break through that congested midfield.

> I've hit three low shots in the last few games by getting the power bar right (not achieved this in the demo) - but they're still not as hard as they should be. You can't hit a Gerrard.

> Team ability makes more of a difference this year than ever, I think. Playing in the pre-season tournament against the AI, I got beat by two French top-tier sides, but then against Toronto FC, it was like the difficulty level went down a notch, which I loved. It doesn't feel like "luck" to me in any way shape or form, yet.

Individuals don't stand out as much as they should, maybe, and yet if you have a pacey winger with a bit of skill, and you're playing against a more open team like Ajax, then you can run along the line all the way up to the box and outrun everyone.

All of the above is on Professional difficulty, with the occasional foray into World Class (which keeps the ball forever and isn't fun, so I avoid it).

Hope that helps...

Cheers mate, noticed that the right analog stick knock-ons make pace very apparent. Whereas trigger sprinting with the ball seems much more dependant on the dribbling stat.

Sounds good though, hopefully the majority are patience enough to learn the game rather then throw their toys out the pram.

Are you getting much goal variation? Hoping that human opposition opens up the defence a bit, the CPU can be a brick-wall sometimes, hence why I'm antipating deep crosses being the prime route.

Main concern is they've given too much autonomy to AI assistance in defending.

Does anyone know what time the US version will hit PSN on Tuesday? Was a lot cheaper than the UK one last year, about £35.

I can't get to grips with the Xbox pad. My thumb keeps slipping off the curved shiny plastic buttons.

If I create a US account on PS4 and load the game there (I'm from Austria), can I play it two days earlier with my normal account, or is it locked there?

Does it have any negatives if you buy a game from us store and use it on your normal european account, like getting matched to players from US online or smth.? I just bought a PS4 and don't really know much.

On PC you could easily play 2 days earlier even on normal european servers. Anybody knows?

I wanted to share with you guys my goal i scored today. Its so extremly realistic, i watch real madrid, its a goal like from tv, its simple and realistic that make it special
https://youtu.be/um9qkJBIGFs

Trajectory, height and shoot animation is spot on

I wanted to share with you guys my goal i scored today. Its so extremly realistic, i watch real madrid, its a goal like from tv, its simple and realistic that make it special
https://youtu.be/um9qkJBIGFs

Trajectory, height and shoot animation is spot on

I love the new ball physics and foot planting when it comes to shooting. Most people hate it but I find it really realistic and hope they don't change it.

Agreed, this looks great! It's so satisfying to score those kind of goals. :)

Are you getting much goal variation?
Absolutely. It's wild, really, just how many different kinds of goals I've seen.

Take a look at the videos I posted yesterday, and then, take a look at this one.

This is my favourite goal so far for a few reasons.

https://youtu.be/Le-M283slx0

Firstly, the initial shot and save, brilliant from their keeper and yet realistic to me.

Secondly, look at the initial striker trying to bend his body backwards to avoid striking the ball and making the shot offside (I can assure you that's what he's doing because I've seen them duck and fall to the floor to avoid touching the ball in an offside position).

Thirdly, look at the defender stretching desperately to stop the ball going into the corner.

Finally, look at the keeper diving desperately to the top corner.

Felt great to score.

Last edited:

I am loving footie games this year. As long as patch doesn't screw anything up, I will enjoy this year with quality football games. Both FIFA and PES has it's flaws but it's way better than last year and the year before.

This game is phenomenal.

I scored a free kick earlier from about 60 yards out. I lumped it up into the box in hope someone could latch onto it, but instead the ball deflected ever so slightly off one of the opposing players faces and bounced into the net. The goal was empty because the keeper was right in front of his defender waiting to mop it up, but the deflection made them all look a bit silly.

It's moments like this why Fifa standalone this year. You truly get the sense that anything can happen at any time, and that is ultimately what all of us want from any football game. I don't feel like anything is scripted or predetermined at all.

If I create a US account on PS4 and load the game there (I'm from Austria), can I play it two days earlier with my normal account, or is it locked there?

Does it have any negatives if you buy a game from us store and use it on your normal european account, like getting matched to players from US online or smth.? I just bought a PS4 and don't really know much.

On PC you could easily play 2 days earlier even on normal european servers. Anybody knows?

Bought FIFA 15 through the US PSN and had no issues, don't see why 16 would be any different.

As far as I'm aware I was matched up against European opposition. Didn't experience any lag in seasons, unlike PES 15 which was region locked.

celebrations need serious works. two players hugging each other and three players clapping and jumping alone around them. i'm tired with this repetitive celebration.
every celebration should have at least 7-8 players celebrating together.

personally demo was terrible especially the player models, to be honest they were digusting a poor effort from EA as well as terrible individuality, BUT after watching videos of the full game, much much better and seeing abit more individuality as well, which now makes me want to purchase the game, and im impressed with the pace looks really great,but as people on here are saying lets hope EA dont fuck it up with there patches,looks like EA are finally going in the right direction.

@Chris Davies - if you could only play Fifa or Pes this year which would it be.

Cant wait for Wednesday. I think Fifas a joy this year.

Just got email - Shopto are processing my order now!

Last edited:

@Chris Davies - if you could only play Fifa or Pes this year which would it be.
I've played both extensively now and there's no doubt in my mind, no shadow of a doubt.

FIFA feels alive. I haven't yet scored the same goal twice. I'm feeling more individuality the more I play - I gave an attacking midfielder a debut against a Premier League team (as Liverpool) and he couldn't cope, his passes were underpowered and off-target (this is on semi) and he was genuinely useless. It made a bigger difference than giving a young player a chance on 15, that's for sure.

The career mode changes are, in my opinion, a waste of effort - preseason tournaments are pointless except for a money-grab and the training bit is a really annoying add-on rather than "fun".

As for the gameplay though, it wins hands-down, in terms of realism, in terms of variation, in terms of how unpredictable it is.

I was playing PES last night with the updated PL kits and badges, and it looks amazing - until you see a generic face (Shay Given, for example, looks like he's wandered onto the pitch from the crowd).

Gsmeplay-wise, it's far from terrible, but it's much more of a traditional video game. Back and forth, marble ball on rail physics, players not sure what to do in certain situations (e.g. if a really hard pass bounces up after a player's first touch, they stand still until it comes down again rather than trying to get it down and move forward before a defender arrives).

It feels cheap, gameplay-wise, in comparison, to be blunt. Almost every goal I've scored has been the same shot into the corner, or a bullet header that the game decided to score for me, or at least that's how it looked and felt on my part - it rifled into the absolute top corner and I felt no joy from it because in no way was that something I intended. Didn't even point in that direction. The goals fall flat.

Passing accuracy is more realistic though in terms of possession being lost more frequently, but even then, it depends on the team (who admittedly have more variation in their style of play, but it doesn't translate well sometimes). I played as Aston Villa against Lyon, and they had 95% passing accuracy (even worse than FIFA!). It was ridiculous. Yet against Lazio, they had 65% passing accuracy, which, although unrealistic, is something you'd never see on FIFA.

You see a wider range of quality between teams in both games now - to the point where it almost feels like you're dropping difficulty level against the poorer teams in FIFA - but for me, as much as I'm genuinely enjoying both, PES is only put in the disc drive when I need a break from the concentration levels FIFA (rightly) demands of you, and that says it all to me.

Last edited:

The feeling that the ball is free this year cannot be stressed enough. It doesn't feel like the ball follows the players like it used to, the way you'd turn and the ball felt like it was floating just ahead of the man running and the animation just happened to be on a loop that made it look like he was kicking the ball.

I've had so many instances of kicking the ball away from another player just as they're about to do something, loose balls from a tackle that feel loose (I've yet to notice the issue of tackles that pass the ball right to another opposing player) it could still be in but it's not happened where I've gone "fuck off as if the ball would spin off in that direction!"

Differences in team styles etc
See I think this depends in your own skill. If you're awesome at the game you'll notice it way less.
For example I'm playing as bolton wanderers, I'm by default set up to hoof balls to heskey. But my players are average so the crosses go anywhere but to heskey. But I think I'm experiencing this more because I'm struggling to get space to cross and so I'm rushing it.
But then when I pick someone like man united, I'm finding crosses are MUCH closer to the intended target. I've scored very few cross goals though so it's not felt overpowered.

I've notice as well if I press shoot too early my guy jumps too early so there less of the 'first to press header gets their player standing on the x where the ball is going to'. Things like that make it feel smoother and less gamey. Though corners still feel very static to me.

But again, that might just be my skill level and my style of play. I guess if you play a formation or style that floods the box you'll score more crosses and then if you repeat the same for bolton you'll feel like it's the same.

Against the ai. Chelsea control the midfield when I've played them. I did Newcastle v Chelsea on a 442 (41212 style) formation and just couldn't break through so had to keep playing it wide and drawing them out of formation. Then I did liverpool vs Chelsea and made the formation 451 and I had far more success in midfield. It's obvious due to the formation difference but Chelsea played much more counter attacking vs liverpool and when I was Newcastle they passed it around MF and kept hitting through balls.

I do wish the ai teams would adjust their formation prior to kick off though. They still stick to whatever their default formation and tactics are regardless of your team setup. So like but let would play more defensive vs man city than they would Rochdale but yet in fifa they use the same setup still for both teams and then it changes mid match. But it doesn't give them any opportunity to play 5 at the back right from kick off instead of the usual 4.

Last edited:

Back to playing the FIFA 16 demo on PC and just scored a great goal, modric got the ball, hit a long 40 yard ball over to Benzema, great fist touch on right side of penalty area, hit a shot as the ball bounced up, flicked the inside of a defenders leg diverting the ball across the goal, the other defender stretched but couldnt reach, Kroos ran into the area and lifted it into the top left hand corner as the keeper scrambled over to try and reach it. Just all felt so realistic!

It wouldnt win goal of the season but to me it was thing of beauty!

I've played both extensively now and there's no doubt in my mind, no shadow of a doubt.

FIFA feels alive. I haven't yet scored the same goal twice. I'm feeling more individuality the more I play - I gave an attacking midfielder a debut against a Premier League team (as Liverpool) and he couldn't cope, his passes were underpowered and off-target (this is on semi) and he was genuinely useless. It made a bigger difference than giving a young player a chance on 15, that's for sure.

The career mode changes are, in my opinion, a waste of effort - preseason tournaments are pointless except for a money-grab and the training bit is a really annoying add-on rather than "fun".

As for the gameplay though, it wins hands-down, in terms of realism, in terms of variation, in terms of how unpredictable it is.

I was playing PES last night with the updated PL kits and badges, and it looks amazing - until you see a generic face (Shay Given, for example, looks like he's wandered onto the pitch from the crowd).

Gsmeplay-wise, it's far from terrible, but it's much more of a traditional video game. Back and forth, marble ball on rail physics, players not sure what to do in certain situations (e.g. if a really hard pass bounces up after a player's first touch, they stand still until it comes down again rather than trying to get it down and move forward before a defender arrives).

It feels cheap, gameplay-wise, in comparison, to be blunt. Almost every goal I've scored has been the same shot into the corner, or a bullet header that the game decided to score for me, or at least that's how it looked and felt on my part - it rifled into the absolute top corner and I felt no joy from it because in no way was that something I intended. Didn't even point in that direction. The goals fall flat.

Passing accuracy is more realistic though in terms of possession being lost more frequently, but even then, it depends on the team (who admittedly have more variation in their style of play, but it doesn't translate well sometimes). I played as Aston Villa against Lyon, and they had 95% passing accuracy (even worse than FIFA!). It was ridiculous. Yet against Lazio, they had 65% passing accuracy, which, although unrealistic, is something you'd never see on FIFA.

You see a wider range of quality between teams in both games now - to the point where it almost feels like you're dropping difficulty level against the poorer teams in FIFA - but for me, as much as I'm genuinely enjoying both, PES is only put in the disc drive when I need a break from the concentration levels FIFA (rightly) demands of you, and that says it all to me.

great post, I feel the same really, don't understand why they try to destroy PES. Will play both, but I hate to say and must say, FIFA is really the better game.

personally demo was terrible especially the player models, to be honest they were digusting a poor effort from EA as well as terrible individuality, BUT after watching videos of the full game, much much better and seeing abit more individuality as well, which now makes me want to purchase the game, and im impressed with the pace looks really great,but as people on here are saying lets hope EA dont fuck it up with there patches,looks like EA are finally going in the right direction.

has the player model been changed then in full version

Here, this is something someone can do. Play two different teams, and have one of the team where each player have 100 short passing and long passing and the other team have 0 on both short passing and long passing and keep all the other stats same. Check the passing accuracy at the end of the match to verify that passing stat is completely redundant.

Still experimenting trying to work out what the most realistic difficulty is for me. Professional seems too easy to score while world class is a challenge (which is good).

But the CPU is way too conservative on both difficulties when it comes to keeping possession. I regularly lose the possession battle, even when using sides like Barcelona, Swansea, and other teams that keep the ball well - mainly because the AI's passing is too accurate and they pass it around the back (even when losing).

Maybe tonight I'll try changing some sliders - has anyone done this and noticed any effect?

Bought FIFA 15 through the US PSN and had no issues, don't see why 16 would be any different.

As far as I'm aware I was matched up against European opposition. Didn't experience any lag in seasons, unlike PES 15 which was region locked.

Thanks for the answer!

And you could play it on your normal account before release, or was it still locked there?

bodytypecode 2 in the db players table, gives all players an average body type that's properly scaled to their individual size and weight.

What program do you use for that mate, any chance of more detailed instructions? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom