FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Played the demo and this is a big improvement on FIFA 15, particularly with the improved ball physics, the passing and the wide range of goals that you can score. The tactical side of the game is also better as changes that I make to tactics I can actually see playing out on the pitch. The pace of the game (even without touching sliders) is perfect, it is in many respects a very unEA demo in that respect and I really hope that the final game is not sped up.

BUT like Chris I was really looking forward to the improvements to the defensive side of the game as tactical defending in FIFA 15 was one of my major gripes. Having played about 2 hours of the demo I am honestly not seeing too many improvements on “tactical defending”. I can contain OKish but trying to tackle or nick the ball of the opposition simply does not work for me, either my players are too far away when I am containing for them to get in and knick the ball of players or they do the opposite to what I am telling them to do. The defending in my view maybe a slight improvement on FIFA 15 but it still not good enough, of course it could just be that I do not “get” tactical defending but at the moment this continues to be my major gripe.

EA do always the same. They release a demo with slower pace and simulation feeling. Then, hardcore simulation fans buy the game HOPING the game is like demo, and arcade fans buy the game KNOWING it wont be like demo.

It's a win/win situation for EA

Last edited:

I won't buy the full game until I read impressions comparing gameplay to that of the demo. Been bitten too many times by retail products that are worse than the demo, and both EA and Konami are guilty.

25e74f0e8f49e4a69251ae45b27d423f_669ba6b3c379af695492e9efd7630b86.jpg

Why no Xbox demo yet?

ive tweeted EA to find out if the game speed is different on full game. they won reply of course

Played the demo and this is a big improvement on FIFA 15, particularly with the improved ball physics, the passing and the wide range of goals that you can score. The tactical side of the game is also better as changes that I make to tactics I can actually see playing out on the pitch. The pace of the game (even without touching sliders) is perfect, it is in many respects a very unEA demo in that respect and I really hope that the final game is not sped up.

BUT like Chris I was really looking forward to the improvements to the defensive side of the game as tactical defending in FIFA 15 was one of my major gripes. Having played about 2 hours of the demo I am honestly not seeing too many improvements on “tactical defending”. I can contain OKish but trying to tackle or nick the ball of the opposition simply does not work for me, either my players are too far away when I am containing for them to get in and knick the ball of players or they do the opposite to what I am telling them to do. The defending in my view maybe a slight improvement on FIFA 15 but it still not good enough, of course it could just be that I do not “get” tactical defending but at the moment this continues to be my major gripe.

Strangely enought, i'm not having that much difficulty at defending.
I admit : i only play against the CPU.
In FIFA 15 i played mostly on professional and recently on world class.

I try to block passing lanes. Stay with the player by using the X button (ps4) and sometimes the R2 button (i always changes the buttons to PES style).
I then try to take the ball with a well times press of the square button (again, pes style controls) and it works for me.

Of course i mistime the tackle a lot, and the attacker runs by me. But this is the same as in real life.

Sofar on this demo i feel the defender stays with the attacker more than in 15. It is an improvement to me, be it a small one.

I haven't tried the tackle cancel or whatever you call it yet as i don't know which button to press for that.
Do feel that your teammates do a better effort at defending this year.
Sofar i'm a happy guy

Really hope I can get the full of version before that day 1 patch works it's reverse magic.

Been using running jockey which has made defending a bit better, still don't feel like I can proper get close to the attackers, in my defensive third, but I can in the middle of the park.

In regards to pass completion rate, even though the percentages are 83% and above, in the actual game feels fine to me. They misplace a lot off the expansive passes in my half, no outrageous tiki taka so far. It's the short safe passes being completed, I don't see much wrong with that, in fact I probably win the ball back through interceptions and misplaced passes more than I do from tackling.

I won't buy the full game until I read impressions comparing gameplay to that of the demo. Been bitten too many times by retail products that are worse than the demo, and both EA and Konami are guilty.

Same here. I hated FIFA15 but found FIFA14 reasonably playable but even then, I found I only ever played one-off friendlies because the AI was so repetitive and boring that playing any of the competition modes just felt playing the same match over and over.

And it was the same last year with PES15, I found I just played exhibition matches, so £40 on the full game was just a waste of money.

I definitely prefer the FIFA16 demo over the PES16 demo but if the final game is worse than the demo, or it's proven custom tactics have no effect again (as the demo seems to suggest), then I think I'll just stick with the demo and save myself £40 as I know I'd end up just playing one-off friendlies with the full game anyway.

The issue is obvious here: EA listen to the official forums and quite a few folk are saying the game speed is too slow. It's arcade-lovers that ruin the game for a lot of other players, but if the majority are those kind of FIFA players, then the minority will always lose. I just hope they retain most of the features, speeds and positives from this demo. It's usually a week prior to release the shit hits the fan and changes are made to the final code.

Same here.

I actually like FIFA 15 demo, but full game... to so much. So this year i'll wait. I'll rent it from a video store and if it's like demo, or better, then i'll go for it.

The issue is obvious here: EA listen to the official forums and quite a few folk are saying the game speed is too slow. It's arcade-lovers that ruin the game for a lot of other players, but if the majority are those kind of FIFA players, then the minority will always lose. I just hope they retain most of the features, speeds and positives from this demo. It's usually a week prior to release the shit hits the fan and changes are made to the final code.

Shall you give us a link from that official FIFA forum?

The issue is obvious here: EA listen to the official forums and quite a few folk are saying the game speed is too slow. It's arcade-lovers that ruin the game for a lot of other players, but if the majority are those kind of FIFA players, then the minority will always lose. I just hope they retain most of the features, speeds and positives from this demo. It's usually a week prior to release the shit hits the fan and changes are made to the final
code.

A week before release? I'd be surprised if they are even touching the game at this very late hour!

A week before release? I'd be surprised if they are even touching the game at this very late hour!
It's being delivered via Origin so they could touch it until one hour before release or so... And then, if they find something they think should be fixed after release, they will also add a patch to address it (Origin downloads the game already patched if you download it after the patch has been released).
Also, consoles auto download updates too if I don't go wrong.

Days in which the game went gold two months before release are long gone unfortunately.

As above, developers and producers of these games now can edit and "patch" right up until the game is distributed to the market. It rarely happens, but it's certainly possible.

I was keeping a close eye on the poorer teams in the demo and how they were progressing up the pitch last night, and even though the passing accuracy stats (and possession stats) were nearly always in their favour, they were playing keep-ball and being "sensible" when you consider they were playing against much bigger teams.

So I can forgive the stats, in a way.

Even the defending - I can't win the ball back very easily, at all, and it's really frustrating me to the point of spoiling a few of the matches, but when I make a comparison to a Premier League match, I think (especially when FIFA is recreating highlights given the timeframe) it's realistic to expect that possession will be given up by a misplaced (or over-optimistic) pass.

BUT...

My major concern is that individuality, and all passes/crosses being the same no matter who you use. I see a difference in playing against Barcelona compared to Seattle - Barcelona clearly know that they're a more capable team and are harder to contain - but they pass with the same pinpoint accuracy, and so do my players.

Again, I think patching in individuality is different from a speed fix or an exploit fix (and Placebo, I know everything you say is all about how you play the game and you can fix it on PC with a mod or two, but I play on a console and I play online, as most people will - and an EA fix, done properly, would give better depth than a slider fix).

Also, the likelihood of EA working on individuality and more misplaced passes is slim-to-nil, I'd imagine. How many people will complain about this in their masses on social media?

I bet there's more kids saying it's "too hard to score" than there are adults saying "make each player's weaknesses obvious". :(

That said, I'm amazed at the advances, and I'm relieved because I immediately disliked FIFA 15 in comparison to 14. It's brilliant - it's just whether that "cloneness" becomes a major buzzkill after 10 full-length season matches...

Last edited:

They can even modify the game after the release with a patch. Possibilities for EA to ruin the game are endless.

Personally, I'm really tired of this EA-Konami football monopoly. I want a new company into the business to put this two against the ropes releasing a TRUE football simulation. I'm sure FIFA and PES sales would fall like a rock in the water.

Changed the game speed to slow and things just stepped up another level. All of a sudden I'm having to play like Busquets when he gets the ball, there's no way he's getting away from anyone.

With regards to individuality regarding passing and crossing I agree there is not seemingly great variation, everyone doesn't feel identical, but nobody has stood out....not sure if this is a side effect of playing on manual though. In fact I can't really remember either game nailing this since PS2 Winning Eleven days, going from default Master League players to getting someone with a skill set was a thing of joy. Even those default players, Burchet, Ximenes, Castillo etc stood out from each other as they were rubbish at most things but each had a particular niche.

Edit: I think things like weaker foot accuracy are in this demo though, noticed a few wild shots and passes coming off the weaker sides of players. Just stuck one in Row Z with Suarez and yesterday the computer was one on one with Matuidi and shanked it wide. It was only when they letter will a free kick and he stepped up with his left foot it made more sense.

Last edited:

I was keeping a close eye on the poorer teams in the demo and how they were progressing up the pitch last night, and even though the passing accuracy stats (and possession stats) were nearly always in their favour, they were playing keep-ball and being "sensible" when you consider they were playing against much bigger teams.

So I can forgive the stats, in a way.

Even the defending - I can't win the ball back very easily, at all, and it's really frustrating me to the point of spoiling a few of the matches, but when I make a comparison to a Premier League match, I think (especially when FIFA is recreating highlights given the timeframe) it's realistic to expect that possession will be given up by a misplaced (or over-optimistic) pass.

BUT...

My major concern is that individuality, and all passes/crosses being the same no matter who you use. I see a difference in playing against Barcelona compared to Seattle - Barcelona clearly know that they're a more capable team and are harder to contain - but they pass with the same pinpoint accuracy, and so do my players.

Again, I think patching in individuality is different from a speed fix or an exploit fix (and Placebo, I know everything you say is all about how you play the game and you can fix it on PC with a mod or two, but I play on a console and I play online, as most people will - and an EA fix, done properly, would give better depth than a slider fix).

Also, the likelihood of EA working on individuality and more misplaced passes is slim-to-nil, I'd imagine. How many people will complain about this in their masses on social media?

I bet there's more kids saying it's "too hard to score" than there are adults saying "make each player's weaknesses obvious". :(

That said, I'm amazed at the advances, and I'm relieved because I immediately disliked FIFA 15 in comparison to 14. It's brilliant - it's just whether that "cloneness" becomes a major buzzkill after 10 full-length season matches...

Did any FIFA game have ever player individuality, lot of stats? Like older PES games?
For me it feels now(im playing since 14) everything is about speed, shooting, heading, dribbling skills...maybe physicality? Those about 6 main stats on an UT player card indeed.

Changed the game speed to slow and things just stepped up another level. All of a sudden I'm having to play like Busquets when he gets the ball, there's no way he's getting away from anyone.

At last slow feels slower. Just hope EA dont give in to twats who want a really fast game and tweak it. Its perfect as is.

If you use xbox ones search facility and type fifa 16 the demo is showing up in the UK store, downloading now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom