FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

played three games today, was loving some of it, but still seeing i might get the old, every player feels the same, except for speed thing... will try again tonight but it seems to be going down that path. It would be great if both konami and ea joinend forces to make ultimate footie game

Try Fidel's Combo. DB + INIs.

Love that Martial volley. The combo of his animations with the physics of the ball were superb. (Had thought they would've had his real face by now though!)

I'm jealous of that Diego chip. I rarely try chipping the keeper in FIFA because I feel like the success rate is so low to not be worth it, but maybe I just need to git gud at lofted shots? Do other people score a decent amount with chips?

And Diego is just about my favorite player in FIfA 16 so far. His combo of skill, touch, balance, passing and shooting are fantastic, and he's ridiculously lethal from free kicks.

Thanks for the comments on the volley. I shouldnt have hit it but after the pinpoint manual ball, i couldnt resist!

With regards to chips, theyre well balanced imo but terrible in 1 on 1s. PES nails keepers going to ground and i miss that

Last edited:
Had another round of matches trying to sort out RM/LM positioning, tried everything I could think of that would affect it, so tinkered with Marking; Line Length; Line Width; Full Back Positioning; Team Width (Custom Tactics) and using Cover or Offside Trap (Custom Tactics).

I found that in terms of sliders: higher marking, lower line length and lower line width when on their own seemed to decrease the occurrence of the poor positioning. Obviously higher marking is only situational and when lower line length and line width are used in combination it doesn't seem to eradicate the problem. Going to have to take a break from the game cause I'm driving myself mad with this.

Thanks for the comments on the volley. I shouldnt have hit it but after the pinpoint manual ball, i couldnt resist!

With regards to chips, theyre well balanced imo but terrible in 1 on 1s. PES nails keepers going to ground and i miss that

Stick them in the Video thread too - it could use fleshing out. Surely there must be more goals knocking about than are currently in there?

I found that in terms of sliders: higher marking, lower line length and lower line width when on their own seemed to decrease the occurrence of the poor positioning.
Lowering line length forces your FWs and MFs to come back. Raising line height and line length will push your team forward. I think you want to try the latter if the object is to keep your LM and RM higher up the pitch.

Lowering line length forces your FWs and MFs to come back. Raising line height and line length will push your team forward. I think you want to try the latter if the object is to keep your LM and RM higher up the pitch.

To be fair I did try that, although it didn't stop them dropping back next to the full backs. Lowering the line length compressed the space between the defence and midfield more meaning the wide midfielders tended to stay in line with the central midfielders more often. Although in hindsight this is probably a false effect as it just pushes the central players closer to the wide players who are positioned too deep to begin with.

The issue isn't keeping the wide players up the pitch it's more towards trying to see a defensive shape similar to something like this (apologies in advance for the atrocious attempt at circling/underlining players - my laptop is currently out of service so it was done on my phone):

wlvi8i.jpg

It's just simple defensive positioning, but it's been overlooked by the developers I feel. Instead of the players being in the positions of Arda and Koke (underlined) they're actually taking up positions closer to where Pedro and Alexis are for Barcelona (circled). Should be a simple fix right?

Last edited:
I'm jealous of that Diego chip. I rarely try chipping the keeper in FIFA because I feel like the success rate is so low to not be worth it, but maybe I just need to git gud at lofted shots? Do other people score a decent amount with chips?

I can't remember the last time I scored a chip shot. Then again, I'm to blame because just like you, I hardly ever even try them!

One of my few beefs with FIFA is that keepers don't rush out much even in 1-on-1's like some do in real life. So for that reason... I hardly ever seen an opportunity to try a chip shot either. Or maybe are opportunities but I'm not seeing them?

Either way I'm completely with you on this and it's nothing new with FIFA 16... it's been a few editions of FIFA that I haven't really scored a chip shot. I scored a total of 2 of them maybe in FIFA 14 and 15.... and I remember one previous edition (not sure if it waS FIFA13?) that chip shots were the most COMMON way to score.

It may be an area of my game that I can improve on but it also seems like one of the few issues in FIFA. Keeps just don't seem to come off their line much.

That IS a beautiful chip by Diego! Very nice goal. I like it better than the volley because I would've never even thought about ATTEMPTING that. Great goal! :SNACK:

i loved the double dap for the little dink over the keeper in old PES's.
Im the same with fifa RE chips - I cant score them.

That volley was great by Martial. The angle of the foot and the way the ball spun off was sublime

Is anyone else an international manager in their career mode? I'm manager of Sweden now and just played my first match, I'd noticed in previous Fifas that international matches play out differently to standard club matches, no idea why but it's definitely different.

Sweden were home to Austria in a world cup qualifier, I did a test and set Austria to 100 passing error to see what happened, unlike club matches it doesn't make them very negative tikitaki it makes them pass it perfectly 2-3 times then the 3rd/4th pass is generally a massively overhit hoof, thus resulting in about 75% passing accuracy at the end of the match, I really hope that's a fluke of the way the game's designed and not some specific programming as that's really poor!

I'd noticed in previous Fifas that international matches play out differently to standard club matches, no idea why but it's definitely different.
There are codes in the exe EA uses to tweak game difficulty, depending on mode of play, team match-up, and match importance.

Last edited:
Yep that I can agree with!

Funnily enough my 2nd match was against England and despite them obviously being way better than Sweden (only two players are >80) passing error on 100 kept it a lot more competitive without either the silly tikitaki or the hoofing that I saw with Austria, so it seems international football + high passing error works a lot better than club football + high passing error.

Just about had enough of this now, pro is way too easy and I spend most of my time just passing the ball around with no intent of going forward as I can easily score 4,5 or 6 goals a game, world class is a complete clusterfuck where you get totally outclassed all over the pitch but still win because the ai will miss most of it's chances and legendary is just frustrating me, the balance is almost there but I can't defend like the ai can, all to often I'll use the 2nd press to close the ball down and the player I'm controlling to cut out a passing option but there always seems to be a man in space while one of my ai controlled players just stands there with his thumb up his arse, I just want my players to get a bit tighter and be on top of a player as soon as he gets the ball like the ai does to me, if I mess up when I'm in control then I can live with it but it's doing my head in when I'm trying to close someone down and the rest of my team look like they couldn't give a toss, I've tried playing around with custom tactics and I can't get my players to man mark, it's absolute bollocks seeing players not doing the basic things you get taught as a kid, as a one off mistake it's ok as you see lapses in concentration week in week out but it's like they've been having defensive coaching off Brendan Rodgers :D

I think the only way I'm going to get any enjoyment out of this is by growing a 2nd pair of arms so I can use 2 controllers at once :D

Just about had enough of this now...
I think the only way I'm going to get any enjoyment out of this is by growing a 2nd pair of arms so I can use 2 controllers at once :D
I haven't played in a week, I've gone back to the demo. The demo doesn't have the CPU boost coding and as a result plays a terrific game of football. And that's all I'm looking for, never play career mode anyway.

I haven't played in a week, I've gone back to the demo. The demo doesn't have the CPU boost coding and as a result plays a terrific game of football. And that's all I'm looking for, never play career mode anyway.

The boosting doesn't seem to happen on legendary, or at least nowhere near as bad as world class, I just can't be doing with the retarded defending, it's as though the cpu controlled team are using legendary ai while the cpu controlled players on my team are stuck on pro ai if you get what I mean.

I just want my players intelligence to scale with that of the cpu, I've said this a lot but they've almost nailed it but have to have this shit going on in the background which you have no or very little control over

Soooo, how many matches with the women's teams have people played? I saw a post on Reddit about it and the VAST majority of people have hardly played it, with many not touching it since the demo.

Me personally, I went back and played a tournament with the USA and it was the best experience with FIFA 16 I've had. It plays just about perfect for me, no sliders necessary. Maybe it's just me but I swear the CPU makes more realistic errors while CPU teammates are more active and helpful. Plus the extra space on the pitch due to the smaller player models really benefits the experience - going back to the men's and the pitch feels cramped.

I absolutely love the women's gameplay but there's just not enough incentive to play. I feel a bit torn though cause while I could see myself playing more of it if they expanded the options in the future, I hate the idea of taking resources away from the main game (and from CM!).

After a few weeks of tweaks, I've found my groove. Semi controls, legacy defending (I suck at timing the the standing tackle button), and lowering the passing speeds.

I am playing CM with Milan, and bought Berardi in my first season and then Veratti in the second season. So far Veratti is everything you hope, I can control midfields with him so well. His long balls to El-Shaarawy whom I have playing as a LW are a thing of beauty, they get the defenses running backward and one Balotelli or Berardi into the box while the other drifts to the far post, and Bonaventura just hunts outside the box. Also, dribbling with Berardi is so much fun. Whether I'm on the counter, trying to get to the byline or cutting inside for a shot, I always feel like he can win the dribble even if he often doesn't.

Without Veratti I was struggling with posession, De Jong, Bonaventura and Poli aren't quite Xavi or Iniesta. So I was playing very defensive minded and getting Berardi into space on the counter, and having Bacca make runs behind the defense as Berardi would drive and conduct the counter. Now I can build up more often, which is a lot of fun.

Also the differences between Bacca and Balotelli are huge. I prefer Balotelli because Berardi and El-Shaarawy already make runs behind the defenders, and Balotelli gives me the physical presence to hold up the ball and find on crosses.

All around, having a good time with the game right now.

Just a questions, is there a way on PC to remove the stadium mosaics before every match? It's tiring.

I also wish you'd see empty seats at some matches, if both teams are struggling or one of the teams isn't a major force.

The more I've played of the game, the more I'm finding that Professional is the most fun difficulty to play. I've switched to manual controls (been a while since I've played with them) and as per usual the game feels more alive. Professional feels a lot more "human" than WC or Legendary despite it's relative ease, just wish there was a way to squeeze that extra bit of team individuality out of the CPU. It's there in glimpses, I just played Exeter with my Wycombe side and put 4 past them, they were very offensive and I kept countering into all the space they left me. The previous game I played was against Accrington was much more cagey, with them looking to play a counter-attacking style similar to myself. It just seems to go missing for a lot of teams, something they definitely need to work on in the future.

Echoing the sentiments of @banbenbin, I'm growing a little tired of seeing League 2 stadiums at full capacity for EVERY single game. Takes something away from the atmosphere I feel.

Anyone know how / where to change the colour & size of the player indicator,its a tad too small for me and not easily visible in some stadia.

Have googled it and seen discussions re this but no fix ?

Easily fixed on PC :)

One of many occasions where I wish I had a gaming PC - might have to bite the bullet at Christmas just for Fallout 4.

Anyone know how / where to change the colour & size of the player indicator,its a tad too small for me and not easily visible in some stadia.

Have googled it and seen discussions re this but no fix ?

To be honest, I have no idea but it's all over the place (complaints, that is) at the EA forums, so hopefully it'll get fixed in a patch for you.

Back
Top Bottom