FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Has anyone else noticed that handballs no longer exist in game after the last couple of updates? I suddenly realised I hadn't seen a single handball for ages yet of course they were back working in the game when it was first released (and yes obviously I have them turned on!)....

Loads better.

I have my fair share tbh (Xbox One).

Last edited:
I have hand ball turned on (inc penalty) prior starting my career mode. Now I got fed up by the hand balls but I cannot find how to turn it off. :(

There is no option to do so in the CM mode itself. If you go to the customise panel and go into your settings you can change it there and it will apply to your career mode.

Hope this helps.

What update have you guys been talking about?
Played a few matches last evening and there wasn´t any update...on PC at least.

Last two nights in a row something has updated, the only possible thing it could be is that something in Origin is detecting that I deleted the minihead big files because I extracted all the DDS' and is doing a "repair" without asking me first or something like that, certainly something is renaming cl.ini to cl.ini.work

Yeah I've set it to readonly, I could do that but don't like to miss out on updates but I guess they don't happen very often so no harm, and it rules out that being the cause (although can't see any other!)

Been thoroughly enjoying the game the so far this year, dabbled in a few CMs but haven't committed to one as of yet. There's just one thing I can't seem to fix - the positioning of the RM/LM players.

The positioning of the RM/LM players is just SO deep, that I essentially have a pseudo back 6. I've tried maximising the team's width via custom tactics in order to try and rectify it - that didn't work. I've messed around with line width sliders as well but that doesn't seem to affect the issue either. Just at a bit of a loss with it really, it's not game breaking by any stretch (I'll just use formations without wide players) but it just really annoys me that I can't get my team to defend in two compact lines of four.

So, has anybody else seen/experienced this? Most importantly, does anyone know how to resolve it?

Just thought I'd add some images to my previous post. Spent some more time earlier on today trying to fix the positioning issue but I can't seem to rectify it.

2dceekn.jpg

15foi69.jpg

As you can see in the first image my RM (Fabian Johnson) is so far behind the midfield he is beside the full back (out of shot). In the second image my RM is so far away from the rest of the midfield my whole defensive shape is out of whack. I set everything to default before taking these screenshots and the teams custom tactics are unchanged. Really irking me now that I can't seem to fix it haha! Any advice is welcomed!

Last edited:
I've had to set mine as LW/RW and set them really high up the pitch, almost in line with the forwards and tell them not to track back, when I'm playing defensive they still cover where I need them anyways.

Really irking me now that I can't seem to fix it haha! Any advice is welcomed!
Your MFs and FWs will not track back as far if you raise line sliders. Also, adjust in-game tactics using the d-pad and see if that helps. Finally, check players' individual player assignments and offense/defense work rates, these determine how your players position themselves on the pitch.

I've had to set mine as LW/RW and set them really high up the pitch, almost in line with the forwards and tell them not to track back, when I'm playing defensive they still cover where I need them anyways.

Ah, I'll give that a try later on this evening. I must admit I try setting them as LW/RW for the second half of the Villareal game I played but I didn't adjust their actual positioning on the tactics screen, cheers for the help!

Your MFs and FWs will not track back as far if you raise line sliders. Also, adjust in-game tactics using the d-pad and see if that helps. Finally, check players' individual player assignments and offense/defense work rates, these determine how your players position themselves on the pitch.

Which line sliders are you referring to? I adjusted width and length sliders to the extremes just to see what it affected as I presumed the issue was with the defensive/midfield compactness but this didn't seem to alter the positioning of RM/LM in a noticeable way. I'll try the height slider when I get a chance later on - but won't that simply see my entire team positioned further up the pitch.

How do I check players' individual assignments? This was going to be my first attempt to fix the issue by asking my full backs to man mark opposing wingers in order to keep my RM/LM in line with the rest of the midfield. As far as I can see (again I may just be blind and/or over sensitive to this issue) but defensive work rates don't seem to make a difference in regards to this - I've had wide players with low defensive work rates showing the same behaviour. Thanks for the advice man!

I'll try the height slider when I get a chance later on - but won't that simply see my entire team positioned further up the pitch.

How do I check players' individual assignments?
It's the height and length sliders you need to adjust. Height 30 and length 70 will stretch your formation out, DFs will drop back further into your end, and FWs will position themselves further up the pitch. And again, use the d-pad tactics in-game to push your team forward if that's how you want your players to position themselves.

To check assignments, go into the team sheet, click on a player, and cycle using the r stick to view his attack/defend workrates. Player positional assignments are viewed in the team sheet instructions tab.

Something else to test just to see: play a FW in that same DMF slot, see if he drops back as much. Position assignments in FIFA tend to be fairly static, CBs for example won't push up as far as other players, by default they're programmed to remain back.

Last edited:
Injury slider is definitely broken this year: I have mine at 99 frequency (15 min halves) and I get maybe one injury every 5 matches.
Also, CPU or my GK are man of the match in EVERY MATCH! That is despite my slider setting for GK 15/15. I am half way through first season in my career mode.

Tried out Placebo's and Angus' suggestions on fixing the positioning of RM/LM when defending.

So long story short, changing them to RW/LW and positioning them way higher up the pitch whilst instructing them to stay forward like Placebo said is the best of the workarounds that I tried out. The only downside is how ugly it looks on the tactics screen and the fact my 442 is now labelled 424 which is pedantic, I know.

@angus - I messed with the height and length sliders, just kept having the same issue (although to a slightly lesser effect) I think it's just something that's hard-wired into how the RM/LM positions play. Like you said each position is programmed differently, like CBs not pushing so far up the pitch, it seems RM/LM just track back way too far.

It seems to be for all players as well, I tried out Koke from Atletico Madrid (high defensive work rate) and compared his defensive movements with Dos Santos from Villareal (medium defensive work rate) and with the same defensive instructions, stay forward, they played identically in a defensive sense.

Bit of a disappointment really, as this affects all formations making use of a RM/LM wide player set up as well.

Injury slider is definitely broken this year: I have mine at 99 frequency (15 min halves) and I get maybe one injury every 5 matches.
Also, CPU or my GK are man of the match in EVERY MATCH! That is despite my slider setting for GK 15/15. I am half way through first season in my career mode.

Not having an issue with picking up injuries in game so much this year, although it does seem to be strictly from aerial clashes between players when they occur.

Similar issue with GKs as you're experiencing, nothing too bad except I just can't seem to try and crack a shot into the far corner (with no finesse modifier) without the keeper making the same diving shot to catch the ball time after time. Basically all of my goals are scored using finesse shots, but that probably says more about how bad my shooting skills are than whether the Goalkeepers are over performing.

Bit of a disappointment really, as this affects all formations making use of a RM/LM wide player set up as well.
Are you on PC? I do have a positional table I created to allow you to place any player anywhere on the pitch without it changing either his default position or the formation setup (will stay 442). You can use it to re-position your MFs and push them forward.

Are you on PC? I do have a positional table I created to allow you to place any player anywhere on the pitch without it changing either his default position or the formation setup (will stay 442). You can use it to re-position your MFs and push them forward.

Unfortunately not, I'm on the PS4.

Out of interest, how does your positional table work?

Am I missing something? I see the shot hitting both uprights and then him scoring into an empty net but I don't see a 'trick'.

Was expecting a fancy dribble past a couple opponents or something.

Unfortunately not, I'm on the PS4.

Out of interest, how does your positional table work?
When customizing a 442 for example, if you move a LM forward further than a certain predefined point, he switches to a LW and the formation changes to 433. Positioning is also restricted, your DF line for example can't be moved any further than half way up your end of the pitch. I removed the predefined borders, which allows players to be moved anywhere with no changes to default position or formation. Adjusting player positioning in this way impacts how far up/down the pitch players will station themselves. I create several custom formations and switch according to game situation. I create one formation where I position all players in my half of the pitch when I wish to play park the bus. And I create an all-out attack formation and position players on the CPU's side, I use that formation when it's late and I need a goal.

1_zpsaorc4qvg.jpg

Last edited:
Am I missing something? I see the shot hitting both uprights and then him scoring into an empty net but I don't see a 'trick'.

Was expecting a fancy dribble past a couple opponents or something.

Yeah, it was a bit of a joke. Maybe just me but I thought it was pretty funny that he basically passes himself the ball back for a tap in off both goal posts. Kind of a Harlem Globetrotter move.

I create several custom formations and switch according to game situation.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you switch saved custom formations during a game? I can't seem to find this option - it was the same with FIFA 15. I thought you could only choose a saved custom formation at the beginning of a game.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you switch saved custom formations during a game? I can't seem to find this option - it was the same with FIFA 15. I thought you could only choose a saved custom formation at the beginning of a game.
In your team's edit sheet screen you have the option to create a new sheet, and then edit individual positions and assignments. Hit pause/sheet/formations-tab in-game to switch sheets, they are available.

Last edited:
Up until FIFA 14, you were able to customize your formation positioning and move players around on the pitch. If you moved them too much though, their default position would change along with the formation -- with 442 for example, if you moved a LM forward further than a certain predefined point, he switched to a LW and the formation changed to 433. Positioning was also restricted, your DF line for example couldn't be moved any further than half way up your end of the pitch. I removed the predefined borders which allowed players to be moved anywhere with no changes to default position or formation.

That feature isn't in the game anymore (that I have seen), but I'm still able to accomplish the same thing using my table plus applying edits the formation table. Adjusting player positioning in this way does impact how far up/down the pitch players will station themselves. I create several custom formations and switch according to game situation. I create one formation where I position all players in my half of the pitch when I wish to play park the bus. And I create an all-out attack formation and position players on the CPU's side, I use that formation when it's late and I need a goal.

That's awesome! I suppose that allows you to create some of the more intricate/fluid formations and positioning that some managers are using at the moment - the one that springs to mind is having a CB positioned quite high when attacking like Alaba does for FC Bayern when they use a back 3 involving him as an outer CB or having him and Lahm tuck inside as DMFs but still registering as full backs when defending.

I'd say that it'd be great for them to implement this kind of fluid positioning into the full game, but no doubt somebody would find an exploit for online play (this doesn't concern me as I don't bother with it personally) or it would just be badly implemented. One can dream though!

Going to have a test with how RAM/LAM defend in the game (I thought I tried this but I can't remember at all) just try and keep the formation registering as 442 cause I'm too pedantic to see 424 and think it's okay :BRICK:

In your team's edit sheet screen you have the option to create a new sheet, and then edit individual positions and assignments. Hit pause/sheet/formations-tab in-game to switch sheets, they are available.
I know how to create and edit new team sheets. And I know you can choose this saved team sheet and select as favourite and then use it, but the problem is if I create more than one team sheet, I can then not use the 2nd one during a game i.e. switch on the fly or when I pause and go into formations. The option to choose an edited team sheet is simply not there, only default formations.

Back
Top Bottom