FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Meant to include this above but forgot:

Any good examples of the effects of form? I don't really feel any difference! I'm presuming it adds +1 or +2 to certain attributes (is that visible or not within an attributes screen somewhere)?

I noticed when looking at individual player profiles that every player has a "morale" and "form" value (which isn't immediately obvious in the usual squad screens), but I've not felt any difference due to them - all I've noticed is emails from the unhappy players saying they want first team football etc...

I'm pretty sure that form acts similarly to chemistry in FUT but without the extremes. So your players just basically play a little better in most if not all facets - runs, control, precision, etc.

I don't know about this FIFA but in the past couple versions if I started poorly in CM and had my team on poor form, I basically knew I was getting my walking papers within a few weeks!

I don't know about this FIFA but in the past couple versions if I started poorly in CM and had my team on poor form, I basically knew I was getting my walking papers within a few weeks!
Well, in terms of getting your marching orders, I won the Europa League in FIFA 15 and got fired for not finishing in the top four (as Liverpool), which I thought was a bit crap. But this year it's been tuned, supposedly (I've read a few accounts of people achieving similar things and not getting fired in 16). Woohoo...

While I generally like the idea of sliders to customize a game to one's liking, I find EAs implementation to be rather frustrating.

It starts out with the inconsistency in the sliders itself: with some you have to move them to the right to improve and to the left to decrease things (speed, acceleration etc) with others moving them to the right actually means worsening something (i.e. pass accuracy). That is really confusing, especially as culturally for us, moving to the right always means progress/future/louder/more while moving something to the left means regress/past/lower/less.
Isn't it 'Pass Error', not 'Pass Accuracy'? So, moving to the right increases pass error, moving left decreases. I can't think of any examples where your confusion here is accurate.

Agree that we need more sliders though. We don't need millions, but I feel like there are a few additions which would have a huge impact.

More sliders would be nice: one for agility (so I can slow down the ridiculous COM dribbling animations) and some for the ball: Looseness, heaviness, floatiness would be nice (I know that they could do it, they have sliders for the puck's behavior in their ice hockey games) More AI sliders as well: aggressivness, propensity of playing a long ball versus tiki-taka, rate of mentality etc. etc.
Agreed. I think they would be fantastic additions.

Isn't it 'Pass Error', not 'Pass Accuracy'? So, moving to the right increases pass error, moving left decreases. I can't think of any examples where your confusion here is accurate.

You are right, but that was sort of my point: if they'd simply name it 'pass/shot accuracy' instead of 'pass/shot error' the confusion would be gone because there'd be no sliders that I had to move to the left in order to improve things.

Anyway, it seems it's just me who is confused by this, so on to more important topics.

Does anyone know if Tournament mode plays much different from CM?

I ask because I was playing Tournament mode with Fernebahce and I was absolutely loving the game. Finished second in the league with very realistic results in terms of goals for and against relative to last year's Super Lig table.

Then yesterday I started a CM with Bayern - I wanted to see if I could actually dominate the CPU like Bayern would in real life. This is also Legendary with default sliders. It was just about the worst run of games I've had - I think I won one game in six, and it felt like I was chasing shadows. I could barely play out of my own half, the CPU regularly had opportunities for one-time shots at the top of my box, and it constantly exploited my 3 at the back formation with runs down the wing. It was not fun.

It's possible I just played too much of this game yesterday and I was getting sloppy. Or does CM play that much different from Tournament mode?

I didn't play career mode yet. But what i know from FIFA 15 that some leagues where harder to win.

Serie A= won with Lazio after 32 games and scored almost 90 goals on Legendary & default Sliders, didn't have to play the remaining games.A lot of easy wins.

Premiere League= had to fight, and won it after 35 games with 81 Points. Opponents where much harder to beat.

But i think the main reason is: you were tired or/and played too much. This can be deadly, especially with only 3 defenders.
Bayern is really a great team (i didn't even used Ribery, because he is injured in real life, you can absolutely dominate.

Anyway, it seems it's just me who is confused by this, so on to more important topics.
No, I do agree with you - they're explained in the little description at the bottom in-case of confusion, but you're right, it'd be easier if e.g. "pass error" was "pass accuracy" because we all expect lower figures to be "worse" and higher figures to be "better".

It's like giving players a "pass error" attribute - suddenly you're looking at a field of numbers where high values aren't always "good", and understanding the data becomes less instinctive.

But yeah, we all know about it, so it's okay. It's a weird decision to label it that way but it doesn't break anything.

If I could add one slider, it would be "decision-making". I'm really happy with the game overall, but the CPU makes far too many good decisions.

It's possible translation issues coming into play regarding the sliders as well?

There was a somewhat amusing issue that came up on another forum, apparently in the Polish translation of the CM start menus it says "Do you want the first transfer window?" so the guy's choosing "Yes", starting the career mode then confused why there's no transfers possible!

Any luck finding patch notes? I can't see any announcements...

Patch Notes 1.03:-

Due to various complaints game speed has been increased ten fold.
CPU has been tweaked on World Class level so that passing is now even more accurate. (Teams will no longer have less than 98% pass completion - Even Wycombe Wonderers)
Goalkeepers have been made even worse so now 10/10 placed long shots hit the net rather than 8/10.
Added realism in Career Mode has now been brought in so Liverpool managers will be fired if they don't make the Top 4. - Thanks Chris Davies for bringing this to our attention.
Career Mode has been fixed for the first time in 10 years so the Johnson's Paint Trophy now knows there is a North/South divide when the draw is made.
Lower league teams have now been accurately scouted so Player Ratings are now 100% accurate.. Rather than he signed from Birmingham he must be that teams best player.
A new tactical screen to combat Football Manager which allows full and customisation of tactics and player movement.
You can now do the Macarena dance celebration everytime you score with a Brazilian player.

Last edited:
Lolz ;)

It actually seemed a little slower and I played a cup match on legendary against a lesser team and wasn't pressed to death, I actually went 2-0 down but came back to draw 2-2 and take it to a replay, had more than enough chances to score early so no surprise they scored.

Added realism in Career Mode has now been brought in so Liverpool managers will be fired if they don't make the Top 4. - Thanks Chris Davies for bringing this to our attention.
:CRY:

Lolz ;)

It actually seemed a little slower and I played a cup match on legendary against a lesser team and wasn't pressed to death, I actually went 2-0 down but came back to draw 2-2 and take it to a replay, had more than enough chances to score early so no surprise they scored.
Is there a version number anywhere? This would be patch 1.0.4, right?

I can't find mention of it anywhere else, even in the PC sections of the EA forums...

Patch Notes 1.03:-

Due to various complaints game speed has been increased ten fold.
CPU has been tweaked on World Class level so that passing is now even more accurate. (Teams will no longer have less than 98% pass completion - Even Wycombe Wonderers)
Goalkeepers have been made even worse so now 10/10 placed long shots hit the net rather than 8/10.
What game are you playing? I've been marveling the past couple of days at the degree with which one can tweak FIFA 16 and create a football simulation -- well, maybe not "masterpiece" -- call it "thing of beauty." But it's certainly as close to perfect as any video football game has ever come.

Funny, how experiences vary. The ridiculous effectiveness of the keepers, even the ones who are considered shit IRL, and their time and space warping ninja-jedi reflexes which allow them to calculate the trajectory of the ball and position their body in no more than 3 nanoseconds is the reason why I stopped playing this.

LOL @ Ea thinking only 6 players train.

1. It's 5 players.
2. All players do train (hence we see players in the reserves that never play improve their stats if they're young), the training is simply a way to focus training on specific areas you want to improve.

:CRY:

Is there a version number anywhere? This would be patch 1.0.4, right?

I can't find mention of it anywhere else, even in the PC sections of the EA forums...

It still says 1.00 when I look at the properties, don't think there's any version number in the menus anywhere?

Funny, how experiences vary. The ridiculous effectiveness of the keepers, even the ones who are considered shit IRL, and their time and space warping ninja-jedi reflexes which allow them to calculate the trajectory of the ball and position their body in no more than 3 nanoseconds is the reason why I stopped playing this.
There is something called "sliders" for that.

What game are you playing? I've been marveling the past couple of days at the degree with which one can tweak FIFA 16 and create a football simulation -- well, maybe not "masterpiece" -- call it "thing of beauty." But it's certainly as close to perfect as any video football game has ever come.

What are your tweaks? Are these PC tweaks?

I feel like I'm the only one not bothered by keepers in FIFA 16. I'm playing a league tournament with Dortmund and I'm seeing about 3 goals per game with default settings on Legendary, so it's not as if they're infallible.

There is something called "sliders" for that.
To be fair, the goalkeeper sliders are a bit useless this year, I've found. Even at 0, the goalkeepers make incredible fingertip saves they shouldn't be making - but they suddenly can't hold onto a ball. So you don't fix the supersaves, but you make the goalkeepers unable to hold onto a simple, low-power shot.

I've got them set at 30 and that's the lowest I think they can go without introducing weird behaviours (I had a goalkeeper dive through the net to save a shot that was miles wide, for example).

Not posted in ages here, lurking a lot though.

Been home sick for a few days so I've spent those playing FIFA 16 and, basically, trying to push it more in the PES2016 direction.

Decided to upload an example match showing where I am right now. Only using Fidel/Doctor Plus CL.ini mod file, and slider settings. Assisted Pass/shooting, manual through/lob/crosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6e3DRqqME

Really enjoying this game now, and I also like how this particular setup seems to scale well. Playing with Messi still has him capable and alert despite slider settings, and now the AI seems more neutral and doesn't turn into monsters when down a goal. And playing with less skilled teams seems to give you a linear response in terms of ability scaling aswell. Keepers seem just slightly too adept at catching some shots, but I'd rather them be slightly too good than slightly too crap.

I don't expect anyone to watch that entire match, but throughout you get a good sense of the mistakes the AI makes, and how the re-proportioned gameplay forces them to play a more natural game, and you can definitely hold them up if you keep your form in midfield and mark well.

Is the PC game (with the INI files) much better then, gameplay-wise?

I think so. The INI file can tweak quite a number of parameters, including ballphysics, parameters for how much speed is conserved when turning, some friction data, and a bunch of other things I won't even begin to pretend to know what they do. Plus lots of AI parameters, so it's possible to turn some cheats off, like catch-up logic and such.

Definitely recommended, the differences can be subtle but many small things can create a big difference.

EDIT: 15 min halves, and played half-star team against PSG (on World Class). They destroyed me, but in a very realistic way. My players felt slow and had horrible first touch which was the main difference. Here are the stats:

5nvXCiA.png

I had to foul a few times, and none of my shots were really a threat at all and a defender was always nearby.
Really enjoyable match, I was not cheated by superhuman movements from PSG, just outclassed in all areas and when I lost the ball is was usually because they outmarked my players leading to misplaced passes.

Last edited:
To be fair, the goalkeeper sliders are a bit useless this year, I've found. Even at 0
Oh okay, I always have them at 50 so I didn't know. I have no issues with them. After playing PES, FIFA is like "Holy jeepers, GKs that can actually save shots!"

I've been editing FIFA ini files and the db for 5 years now. This year, the default gameplay doesn't need ini file edits, it's pretty darn close to perfect. I have though edited a few player ratings to help slow the game down a bit, down to the speed the demo played (full game is definitely faster). Example, I've lowered player and team aggression to stop the CPU from pressing as much, which allows me to stand and look and figure out who I want to pass to without CPU players in my face... my ideal "speed."

Been thoroughly enjoying the game the so far this year, dabbled in a few CMs but haven't committed to one as of yet. There's just one thing I can't seem to fix - the positioning of the RM/LM players.

The positioning of the RM/LM players is just SO deep, that I essentially have a pseudo back 6. I've tried maximising the team's width via custom tactics in order to try and rectify it - that didn't work. I've messed around with line width sliders as well but that doesn't seem to affect the issue either. Just at a bit of a loss with it really, it's not game breaking by any stretch (I'll just use formations without wide players) but it just really annoys me that I can't get my team to defend in two compact lines of four.

So, has anybody else seen/experienced this? Most importantly, does anyone know how to resolve it?

Has anyone else noticed that handballs no longer exist in game after the last couple of updates? I suddenly realised I hadn't seen a single handball for ages yet of course they were back working in the game when it was first released (and yes obviously I have them turned on!)....

Loads better.

Back
Top Bottom