FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Getting better over time. The most 'thinking man's' football game I've ever played, and most realistic. Course, that sometimes means like 3 shots in 90 minutes, so good with the bad I guess!

As someone else posted, key to tactical defending is to be the player attacking the ball carrier. Opposite of how I had success in 15, so fair enough. Also, don't bother with the high press. If you ignore the CPU until it gets to your half, everything is far more realistic.

I concur...amazing game,the attention to detail with the aesthetics is wonder on the eye..

Great gameplay too..

I love pes16 but I'm loving this too..really top stuff!

I love pes16 but I'm loving this too..really top stuff!
I knew (well, hoped) you'd warm to it. :D

The key for me is how long it lasts before it starts to grate, but I say that knowing that I hated 15 from day one, so... I have a good feeling...

I knew (well, hoped) you'd warm to it. :D

The key for me is how long it lasts before it starts to grate, but I say that knowing that I hated 15 from day one, so... I have a good feeling...

I only played the demo on the ps4 Chris and it didn't feel as polished or as finished as the pes demo..

That said I picked up the xboxone version in sainsburys with some shopping for 34 quid..

Very pleased I did,I'm glad I went with a physical copy as if they do patch and screw up the tempo and flow atleast I can revert back..I'm not to worried about online and for me the cpu and friends will keep me entertained.

I don't think Fifa is a shallow game any more with great qualities..just really enjoying the depth of the match play and the freedom of the manual settings..shed loads of variety both in gameplay and the variables that happen in each match.

Last edited:
FIFA 16 might have the best contextual dribbling I've ever seen in a football game. By contextual I mean dribbling with just subtle movements of the stick, pace control, etc. It feels so natural to me, I love it.

"Thinking man's game" is a good assessment and yeah, it's not a shallow experience at all. It's a turnaround from previous FIFAs, which I felt were too accessible and immediate. I think there is genuine depth here.

I like that it's a game you have to genuinely work at and goals/victories feel rewarding. It's got some of the best elements of the old PES games I used to love before the series went into decline.

"Thinking man's game" is a good assessment and yeah, it's not a shallow experience at all. It's a turnaround from previous FIFAs, which I felt were too accessible and immediate. I think there is genuine depth here.

I like that it's a game you have to genuinely work at and goals/victories feel rewarding. It's got some of the best elements of the old PES games I used to love before the series went into decline.

Summed up my thoughts exactly. I feel like a school boy in love because I can't stop gushing over this game. My favorite football game since PES 6? Perhaps. I've put in quite a few hours, but I'll reserve that judgement until after a few months have passed.

I like that it's a game you have to genuinely work at and goals/victories feel rewarding. It

A lot of people have found this to be the most frustrating aspect of FIFA 16, I find it to be the most refreshing. It's brilliant. It feels like an accomplishment when I score and it has me chasing that "high." I have the, "one more game" disease at the moment. Not to be a braggart, but I play a lot of PES and FIFA each year (and have done for ages) and I'd consider myself to be a fairly good player so this sort of challenge is a welcome change.

Last edited:
Love and hate for me right now.
Sometimes i feel it, other times i don't.

Some negatives i've noticed :

Lots of cpu shot on the woodwork of the goal
no low driven shots at all

Love and hate for me right now.
Sometimes i feel it, other times i don't.

Some negatives i've noticed :

Lots of cpu shot on the woodwork of the goal
no low driven shots at all

I've noticed a few CPU goals that have gone off the woodwork, but not too many. I'll have to keep an eye to see if it's too common of an occurrence. It irks me to no end that there's no function for low driven shots. I mean, you can double tap B and it'll give you a low shot (and this only really works inside the box), but I'm talking about a nice daisy cutter. It's a shame.

It's a shame so many people are finding this game frustrating. FIFA 16 is more challenging than I can remember any FIFA being, but with that challenge comes higher reward and satisfaction when things go right. It's what those classic PES games were lauded for - the 'one more game' factor, the continual search for improvement.

Perhaps the negativity is symptomatic of FIFA's traditional core audience? Accessibility and immediacy is exactly what they want? It sounds that way.

Defending is not the issue in this game, it's making and scoring chances. I can keep clean sheets on Legendary comfortably with tactical defending. And I was awful at defending in FIFA 15.

Really? Would love to see some video of how you're defending. Are you playing with default settings or sliders?

Also, I don't find that limiting goals is the biggest issue - defending in the final third isn't too bad against the CPU because the space is more compact. My problem is in the midfield, and I see the CPU able to retain a high amount of possession far too easily simply because I can't properly apply pressure.

Perhaps the negativity is symptomatic of FIFA's traditional core audience? Accessibility and immediacy is exactly what they want? It sounds that way.

Oh, that's most certainly the case. I've seen countless people describe the game as, "boring." Someone made the complaint that passing is too difficult and someone suggested that they slow down, assess their options before picking a pass, recycle possession if need be. They replied with, "But I've never passed backwards in FIFA before." :BLINK:

One thing I have noticed is that, even on manual my shots tend to gravitate towards to keeper more often than not. Perhaps it's case of there being more "give" when it comes to manual shots as opposed to minute adjustments. I'm not sure if it's user error or gameplay related. It's slightly odd to say the least.

It's a shame so many people are finding this game frustrating. FIFA 16 is more challenging than I can remember any FIFA being, but with that challenge comes higher reward and satisfaction when things go right. It's what those classic PES games were lauded for - the 'one more game' factor, the continual search for improvement.

I agree with this. I have only played for a few hours so far but at the moment I am struggling to come up with anything negative to say about the game. If I didn't have to get up for work this morning then I could happily have played for another couple of hours last night. I haven't had this feeling about a football game for years. I appreciate that in the past Fifa always seems great for the first few games but then becomes boring as the gameplay appears to be lacking depth. However this time I just have a feeling that there is so much more to the game and I am loving that part about it.

This is kind of weird but has anyone else found that the "weight" of players can vary based upon different kits?

For example, I've found that playing with the Fenerbahce home kit or Bayern Munich white kit that my players have a thicker, weightier feel to them. Whereas if I play with, say, Man City's light blue kit, they feel lighter to me.

Anyone else? Have I played too much FIFA that I'm now going crazy?

This is kind of weird but has anyone else found that the "weight" of players can vary based upon different kits?

For example, I've found that playing with the Fenerbahce home kit or Bayern Munich white kit that my players have a thicker, weightier feel to them. Whereas if I play with, say, Man City's light blue kit, they feel lighter to me.

Anyone else? Have I played too much FIFA that I'm now going crazy?
You're nuts.

Played the game to death, and these are the niggles are beginning to grate on me.

The defensive side of the game is far too automated.

The tackle box is huge so you aren't punished for mistimed attempts. Worst case scenario is you concede a foul and break up the attack.

Games feel too stop-start as a consequence. The pace makes you want to put your foot on the ball, but you can't without being steamrollered. You can still shimmy around players with good dribblers, but the capacity to shield the ball is lessened and can make games very frantic.

The rate of interceptions also add to this. A bad pass is a bad pass, but sometimes they're plucked in transit by an attacker despite being yards away.

Long-shots are too effective. It's difficult to get a shot away in the box, so the majority of goals are flying in from distance. Rare to see one not test the keeper at the very least.

Overall the game is 90% there. Dribbling is varied, nice variety in individuality, pace is bang on, crossing is balanced.

It's just the final third that's too congested and restricted.

Played the game to death, and these are the niggles are beginning to grate on me.

The defensive side of the game is far too automated.

The tackle box is huge so you aren't punished for mistimed attempts. Worst case scenario is you concede a foul and break up the attack.

Games feel too stop-start as a consequence. The pace makes you want to put your foot on the ball, but you can't without being steamrollered. You can still shimmy around players with good dribblers, but the capacity to shield the ball is lessened and can make games very frantic.

The rate of interceptions also add to this. A bad pass is a bad pass, but sometimes they're plucked in transit by an attacker despite being yards away.

Long-shots are too effective. It's difficult to get a shot away in the box, so the majority of goals are flying in from distance. Rare to see one not test the keeper at the very least.

Overall the game is 90% there. Dribbling is varied, nice variety in individuality, pace is bang on, crossing is balanced.

It's just the final third that's too congested and restricted.

If you play full manual controls you will be 100% satisfied...

Scored a great goal last night, ball played up to Nuhiu and he completely ragdolled Mancienne who was marking much too tightly, completely accidental in my control but I ragdolled him out of the way leaving Nuhiu a free run on goal to score, looked brilliand and so realistic, watching the replay I had Tony Gale in my head going apeshit about Kaboul's defending the other week! When I get round to it I'll have to upload a clip of my goal :)

Man, I'm blown away by how much I'm enjoying playing online Seasons. They did an excellent job balancing out the game this year for online play.

I thought I would give it a go as I wait for the roster update on pes!! And I am very much enjoying it, just played a few one off games with some adjustments on pass error, shot error and speed.

It seems to be a big improvement on 15 IMO, better keepers and no huge gaps in midfield.

Pleasantly surprised.....looking forward to career mode!!

You hit the nail on the head..and brilliantly put..

Couldn't agree more with this and your previous comment..

I get what FIFA is doing, but for me somehow it's missing some fun factor.
Call me shallow, call me tradional core audience (i only started playing FIFA since '14) but i need more of that fun factor.

I don't mind admitting this. There is finally midfield battle in FIFA but for me it is just too much battle.

Kept switching between 15 and 16 today to see what i like most.
Will continue to tweak the 16 sliders some more to see if i can get it to play more the way i like.
Perhaps it will grow on me a little more.

Sofar the only matched I enjoy are Ajax vs Feyenoord. All other matches i played were simply too much work.
I'm a 46 yr dad with a wife and 2 daughters, so have limited game time these days.
Therefore i want my games to be fun.

Kudos to FIFA for what they are trying to do, guess it's just not my cup of tea.

But please...please fix the shooting. Bring back the daisy cutters and get rid of the automated shots.

I get what FIFA is doing, but for me somehow it's missing some fun factor.
Call me shallow, call me tradional core audience (i only started playing FIFA since '14) but i need more of that fun factor.

I don't mind admitting this. There is finally midfield battle in FIFA but for me it is just too much battle.

Kept switching between 15 and 16 today to see what i like most.
Will continue to tweak the 16 sliders some more to see if i can get it to play more the way i like.
Perhaps it will grow on me a little more.

Sofar the only matched I enjoy are Ajax vs Feyenoord. All other matches i played were simply too much work.
I'm a 46 yr dad with a wife and 2 daughters, so have limited game time these days.
Therefore i want my games to be fun.

Kudos to FIFA for what they are trying to do, guess it's just not my cup of tea.

But please...please fix the shooting. Bring back the daisy cutters and get rid of the automated shots.

You sound like a perfect candidate for online play. It's very well balanced this year and tons of fun. As long as you're okay only playing against Real Madrid...

I couldn't have imagined that the EA devs would respect the fan base this much to basically have us relearn the mechanics with this totally new and invigorating game play, so robust, refined, responsive. I absolutely love the slog of learning the finer details.

The biggest tip to tack defending is the patience to just wait out the CPU A.I attack sequences and control at least one player however it’s best if that player is a zone or two behind the attacking CPU player. In this sequence I am playing my own cat and mouse game with the CPU and as soon as I lose possession and with a clear counter attacking move the CPU does not even get out of their own half.

What you probably will not see is that as soon as I see that I have successfully switched to Krychowiak with the Right stick I know not to switch back off because I am most comfortable controlling my mid-fielders.

However you can knock that right stick all the way back to one of your CB’s if you like playing with the Co-Op camera and you can see back that far, and with all the action right in front of you that you still have to focus on does get tough. The quick Makélélé pass from the CDM position and Llorente does the rest.

With Tactical defending you have to embrace the

R1 for contain
RS for positional dominance
X for following the ball carrier
Square button for when a crunching slide tackle presents itself
And of course Circle button for tackle.

All while strafing with L2 R2 as much as you can.Positional Discipline

Figuring out at what stages of the game these all come into play and when and where you should utilize them and also devising one’s own strategy for success is the really fun part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38eEQHo7x2c

Former Stoke lad N’nzonzi’s physicality in this situation is almost unfair!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1F2mS36758

Last edited:
once you come to terms with the how players handle the gamespeed feels much increased. early complaints about slow pace were way off and i dont think we'll hear them again after people learn the game

I should stop reading this thread. I'm supposed to be a grown up who shouldn't be swayed by forum posts to buy a game. I've already parted with some money for a football game. I shouldn't do it again for another. God dammit.

Key word you said Lami was Football. The best sport in the world makes us all go a little Coo-Coo Crazy.
Funny thing is I am still going to ask the old bird/better half to pick up PES around the Holidays.

I am sure all of the regular forum members gaming backlogs are crazy. Bills to pay and regular life to think about does get in the way of valuable game time.

Back
Top Bottom