FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

Does anybody else find that long balls upfield always gather pace once they hit the ground and go out of play no matter how hard you kick the ball?

Also, I've noticed that on Legendary the cursor change is pretty rubbish like last year but on World Class the cursor change is fine.

Yeah, blame ball physics for those long bouncy balls going out of field. No matter that they have backspin rotation.

That's one area PES excels at this year :LOL:.

I keep finding that my players will be glued to the spot and nothing I try can get them to move. I've conceded a few goals from a defender just standing still and missed some sitters as my attacker just switches off.

Did you notice you can pull back on the stick after doing a long pass/lobbed through pass to put backspin on the ball to help it stay in a bit better? If you push away from you (as in to make your player run to to the ball) you put top spin on it this flatter trajectory more likely to go straight out of play.

Thanks Placebo, i didn't know anything about that. Hmm... so how will i make my player run to the ball if at the same time i'm giving the ball top spin? I will give it a go next time i play. :))

Yeah, blame ball physics for those long bouncy balls going out of field. No matter that they have backspin rotation.

That's one area PES excels at this year :LOL:.

Hmm... i will try first to see if i agree. ;)

Also, it's just been confirmed how rubbish i am at manual passing. During one of the training games for manual passing i really struggled to get the ball in the net from about 1 yard :COAT:

Thanks Placebo, i didn't know anything about that. Hmm... so how will i make my player run to the ball if at the same time i'm giving the ball top spin? I will give it a go next time i play. :))

You have something like a second or so to adjust the spin after you make the pass, it should be enough time to then make your player run in the desired direction (if they're not already moving), I didn't realise you could adjust the spin on the ball until I played the skill game where you have to lob the ball into buckets :)

You have something like a second or so to adjust the spin after you make the pass, it should be enough time to then make your player run in the desired direction (if they're not already moving), I didn't realise you could adjust the spin on the ball until I played the skill game where you have to lob the ball into buckets :)

Yeh those little mini games are quite good. They do teach you a few things. I'm struggling with the one where you have to dribble with the ball and duck under bars and jump over bars. When there is about 5 secs left i just barge through all the obstacles and shoot at goal. A bit like Suarez :BRMM:

It works though, the keeper has no chance :P

In fact playing those mini games reminds me a bit of Summer Games 2 on the C64 :COOL:

Last edited:

Does anybody else find that long balls upfield always gather pace once they hit the ground and go out of play no matter how hard you kick the ball?

Yes if it bounces youre fucked. The ball hits the ground and speeds off for a throw in. Annoying.

Did you notice you can pull back on the stick after doing a long pass/lobbed through pass to put backspin on the ball to help it stay in a bit better? If you push away from you (as in to make your player run to to the ball) you put top spin on it this flatter trajectory more likely to go straight out of play.

aaahhh. Thanks

The long ball needs looking at. Doesnt go high enough. Unless you do about 1/4 power, then the ball will get lofted a bit more, but still no good for doing booming cross field balls.

One of my only complaints about FIFA14 really.

I hate the long passing as well - the ball acts like a marble on glass when you hit a long ball, especially on manual.

Aftertouch backspin sounds like a placebo (har har) effect - I have never seen it mentioned anywhere by EA or on any list of in-game commands... Just briefly googled for any info on the matter and all I've found are links to Evo-Web posts and FifaAddiction (someone's blog). I very much doubt such a basic feature would be shrouded in mystery in this way.

I've tried while holding LT, which barely seemed to make a noticeable difference, and LB is for an early cross which does alter the trajectory but isn't what I'm after. Something like the lofted pass from PES where you hold RT/R2 to put extra elevation on the ball would be useful but there doesn't seem to be such a thing in FIFA 14 unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

They need to fix corners online.

In seasons I would say about 80% of corners against me results in a goal.

Annoyingly I hardly ever score from a corner.

Go to skill games, choose that long passing one and test it for yourself (or try a training match).

Players with the flair trait will do a lofted pass as well if you hold down the left trigger when doing a long pass with them.
I will do when I get the chance, I borrow it/play it with a housemate so won't able to for a bit... Would be a really dumb move by EA to make something so crucial to the passing only available to those who experiment rather than just saying somewhere "do this to add spin to a long ball"... No logic to it, so I find it very unlikely.

I think I know the one you mean by holding LT, the scooped lifted pass? I just meant I'd like a pass like the regular one, just with a bit more elevation and less pace on it.

Info that you're game looks lovely! Can you tell me what mods you use Please mate? Im bored of pes, I want to give fifa a go.
Thanks

Basic settings really.

Moddingway 0.5 + 0.6 update installed. Default sliders. Camera on Tele Broadcast H: 10, Z: 10

In MW selector (run as administrator): 2.0 Database selected, Frenkie turfs, ESPN presentation (which doesn't seem to work yet :P), EA Update DISABLED (as if not, game crashes).

Then just replace database in Data\DB with this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9dfry7nfs4y2za3

And put folders from here to Data

http://www.mediafire.com/?hh9eour2llrr7kv

cl.ini to Game folder

Start game. :)

I was also using SweetFX (Tomb Raider settings worked fine, but you know, tuning it for your liking is best ;)).

Second half of the game is here:

YouTube - FIFA 14 PC - Barcelona vs Real Madrid - Legendary - AI vs AI - part 2 HD

Check that Di Maria pass :D

Last edited:

If someone tells me again PES 2014 AI is better, I will laugh at him :).

YouTube - FIFA 14 PC - Barcelona vs Real Madrid - Legendary - AI vs AI - part 1 HD

Here is part 1 of Legendary AI vs AI match, featuring Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Player and team tables in DB were edited mind you.

Can't say, eye orgasmic performance from Barcelona :P.

Do us all a favor and stop comparing both games in both threads all the time and just enjoy what you're playing. It's got too repetitive now.

Of course games will be compared - theres only 2 companies making them.

Everyones comparing XB1 and PS4 in the next gen thread but i guess thats ok?

I don't understand the problem anyone has with mentioning PES in this thread or vice versa, some people even get pissy if you mention a previous version of the same series!

Although info0's posts haven't been great, I hope warnings simply for comparing the two games aren't something that will happen often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just read his last few posts in the PES thread and he's posting nothing that other people aren't posting, lots of very unhappy PES fans, only difference is he references Fifa now and then, again where's the problem with that? I think it would be better if a neutral (ie not involved with the discussion) moderator assessed the situation TBH, no offence intended towards Lami obviously, sometimes you can't see the grass for the trees, as they say.

Hey i really like the game so far, but for my opinion the defenders need to be more aggressive, even if i walk around next to them they most of the time just stand and watch. The positioning of them is very good, but when they have a chance to get the ball they should try it, don't know if i could change this with sliders ?

State the platform you're playing the game on ;).

Unfortunately AI tackling aggression is not sliders related.

Sadly :(

Should be a slider, should have been added the year following the first sliders, as should stamina and CPU transfer frequency, we all asked for those immediately when sliders were brought in and they're common sense introductions.

Lami doesn't like PES being critiqued that's the problem :OOOH:

Exactly, which is why I stopped posting in the pes thread. Seriously becoming another WENB. You can sense how people get defensive as if they are entitled to.

Utterly disappointing the mess the game is is in now. Have both games this year but pes has slowdown during gameplay. Made a genuine attempt to open a separate thread to get people to try the no slowdown training mode but gave up after being personally attacked and yet the mods did nothing there other than deleting the posts. Pardon the pes posts in this thread from me but I think it fit the topic and I seriously don't want to go into the pes thread. A turn off.

Fifa had slowdowns in cutscenes for me too but fixed in the second patch. Honestly, don't see much diff between Fifa 13 and 14 at all other than inertia, assuming sliders were used in both games.

Gk slider at 20 works amazingly realistic for me. Just dont feel at ease setting pass error higher for cpu than ourselves. Still trying to find an ideal solution for that.

State the platform you're playing the game on ;).

Why? It's not like EA will make defenders less aggressive on the PS3 and psycho's on the PC, is it?

Hey i really like the game so far, but for my opinion the defenders need to be more aggressive, even if i walk around next to them they most of the time just stand and watch. The positioning of them is very good, but when they have a chance to get the ball they should try it, don't know if i could change this with sliders ?

The good news is that supposedly this is something that's improved in the nex gen version with the upgraded AI. But yeah, really bothers me too.

Also, if you're talking about the opposing team, make sure you're playing on Legendary. You get the best out of the AI that way and you can decrease the difficulty with sliders.

Back
Top Bottom