FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

So, anyone getting a PS4 for the next-gen version of Fifa? Although I didn't like Fifa 14 for the PS3, I'm still considering it, as the few videos I've seen look really good.

Me! Although it's for the PS4 is mainly for the kids, FIFA will be purchased so that I can have a go when they are in bed :)

I hope it's as big an improvement as some are indicating, though I don't know how much faith to have in the opinion of someone who starts the article off by saying he's not a big football fan and is terrible at the game!

But that's got nothing to do with how good visually he says it is and how fluid the animations look

Anyone able to offer some defending tips? Might be something UT related only but I'm fed up with World Class defenders like Vidic, Kompany and Cole allowing the player they're supposed to be marking to stand a good 5 yards behind them, despite them obviously being onside still, and then taking an extra 3 seconds (IRL time) to follow them.

I'm also fed up with watching players like Santi Cazorla tower between Vidic and Kompany to score a power header past Cech, even though the shot went straight into his head height!

So, anyone getting a PS4 for the next-gen version of Fifa? Although I didn't like Fifa 14 for the PS3, I'm still considering it, as the few videos I've seen look really good.

If you don´t like Fifa 14 for PS3 i don´t think you will like the version for PS4, the differences seems to be very subtle and most on graphics. Of course i may be wrong, but from the videos that i´ve seen i have this impression.

I've preorderd a PS4 and it'll most likely be christened with FIFA.

It's got its issues but this FIFA might be the most enjoyable FIFA I've played, so I'm looking forward to the next gen version.

Yeah I'll be getting it. Might be the main game for me actually, there isnt a huge amount of other choices, probably ac4 and bf4

So, anyone getting a PS4 for the next-gen version of Fifa?

Me, and I really can't wait as CG Fifa14 is very good, shame there's some really, utterly, amateurishly shit bugs in CM though:

The amount of players aged 29/30 retiring is an absolute fucking joke.

Signing someone on pre-contract only for a CPU team to buy them and you having to pay their wages next season is an absolute joke.

Offside being given when attackers and defenders are level to the microscopic scale is an absolute joke.

Etc, etc.

I'm in my 2nd season as Newcastle, it's December, we're 6th in the league.

I've just beat man united, drawn with arsenal and drew my last European game meaning I finished top of my Europa group. I then lost to Southampton due to 2 penalties and...

.... I've just been sacked for a run of poor performances. Absolute dog shit work from ea.

I've just beat man united, drawn with arsenal and drew my last European game meaning I finished top of my Europa group. I then lost to Southampton due to 2 penalties and...

.... I've just been sacked for a run of poor performances. Absolute dog shit work from ea.

Dunno if it's worth perservering with cm then? I love the gameplay of UT so might stick with that and do a league competition for the premier league. Shame can't make any signings or move clubs, but probably be more enjoyable.

Mike Ashley, nuff said ;)

That is bad :((

It is fun and I guess in a way... It's realistic. I mean Newcastle have a history of knee jerk sacking managers. A lot of teams do.

If there had been some kind of story running up to my sacking then I'd probably have accepted it. But the game doesn't seem to follow what happens in the game world. They claim it does on next gen, we shall see.

Here is a brief outline of what happened in my game that led to my sacking.

Mid through first season I'm saving my cash for a new forward in case remy leaves and I can't buy him. The board then go behind my back and sign Zabaleta from man city for 8 million I think. I then have to get a new forward on a free but luckily Gomis's contract is expiring in the summer so I grabbed him.

I finish that season in a Europa place. In the summer Ben arfa throws a transfer request in and the transfer window revolves around hm possibly leaving for arsenal. They offer half of what he's worth so I reject it and try to offer arfa a new contract. His agent blocks my attempt. On deadline day Ben arfa moans about me not letting him leave... I reject more offer and counter with what I think he's worth. He ends up not being sold.

Now a few weeks later he decides to stay after all and signs a 1 year extension. And then a month later I'm sacked.

I've had a few messages saying the board weren't happy to lose the last game but they're still behind me. But it's always on stupid teams like losing to man city 1-0 due to a penalty.its not like I'm getting hammered every week. And there has never been any mention of the fans opinion on me.

Just felt poorly balanced. There's no way the game ai should think that Newcastle should be a top 3 side but that's what the board say right at the start of the game.

Last edited:

If you don´t like Fifa 14 for PS3 i don´t think you will like the version for PS4, the differences seems to be very subtle and most on graphics. Of course i may be wrong, but from the videos that i´ve seen i have this impression.

Yeah, you may be right. I think what annoyed me the most with the PS3-game was the speed of the matches, far too fast in my opinion, and the fact that all passes just seems to be floating over the pitch, but when I saw one of the PS4-gameplay videos, I thought the game speed looked very good, and the passing looked sweet as well. Also, camera angles in the PS3-game was really shit, but that's supposedly been reworked for the PS4-version as well.

I'd also like to know which stadiums will be in it. :)

I've had a few messages saying the board weren't happy to lose the last game but they're still behind me. But it's always on stupid teams like losing to man city 1-0 due to a penalty.its not like I'm getting hammered every week. And there has never been any mention of the fans opinion on me.

Just felt poorly balanced. There's no way the game ai should think that Newcastle should be a top 3 side but that's what the board say right at the start of the game.

I've spent the last two seasons going through bad runes followed by good runs and constantly get the emails from the board saying things need to improve etc. etc. I guess the difference is my board's expectations are way lower (I used reserves at the end of last season before promotion so they only expect me to avoid relegation), but last two seasons I was in the Championship and they expected automatic promotion which I failed significantly the first season (finished about 10th) and the second season only went up through the playoffs but haven't been sacked yet.

I'm not liking keeper when 1 v 1. Seems that any time I shoot with just the button pressed they save it, even at impossible power point blank shots. But with finesse and shoot in the same situations, they flap at the ball like a blindfolded guy trying to catch a butterfly.

Not sold on player awareness either. I've lost count of the times I'll shoot, the keeper spills it, and my team run in random direction refusing to dash towards the ball. The happens during tackles, I'll slide in... The ball goes loose but everyone is stuck doing their pre determined run until they finish moving ... And then the game sees the ball is loose.

Last edited:

I'm not liking keeper when 1 v 1. Seems that any time I shoot with just the button pressed they save it, even at impossible power point blank shots. But with finesse and shoot in the same situations, they flap at the ball like a blindfolded guy trying to catch a butterfly.

Not sold on player awareness either. I've lost count of the times I'll shoot, the keeper spills it, and my team run in random direction refusing to dash towards the ball. The happens during tackles, I'll slide in... The ball goes loose but everyone is stuck doing their pre determined run until they finish moving ... And then the game sees the ball is loose.
Yeah... There's also the typical FIFA sweet spots where you can finesse shot from 25+ yards even on a shit players weak foot and trouble the keeper/score...

Most people online don't even bother trying to craft a proper chance at goal, they just stick on inverted wingers with decent shooting and just hope the ball falls to them somewhere they can hit from these overpowered sweet spots... Or they have Lacina Traore which means any ball they lump into the box is a goal.

Keeper slider down to 20 is a massive improvement, no longer do they perfectly catch really hard shots, it just seems to affect their handling so they can still save what they should save but now they tend to do it far more realistically by pushing it wide/over as well as making handling mistakes costing a goal (but not too many) or fumbles leading to epic scrambles.

Most people online? Can honestly say I haven't come across tactics like that at all. Plenty of chipped through balls (boring) and goals from corners (that is infuriating as it doesn't feel like the goals have been earned) but don't see that many finesse shots attempted. Finesse not that overpowered on manual?? Maybe that's why I don't see them that often.
I'm on about default settings (mostly assisted) as I've been playing Ultimate Team co-op with my housemates and I haven't seen an option to play those on manual.

That part of the game is shit - all of the 12 year old dickheads with their ridiculous teams made up of all of the fastest/strongest players, most likely paid for out of their parent's pocket playing awful one-dimensional bollocks exploiting all of the overpowered elements of the game (chip through ball, finesse shots, back post cross etc) and just sprinting everywhere when defending...

Maybe on manual with slider changes this game is decent, but on default settings online it's a mess...

I'm playing Ultimate team offline.

I'm not one for these stat boosty type conspiracy theories, BUT! I have had 3 games where I have been winning and in the last few minutes my defender becomes mysteriously uncontrollable (I press change cursor and it wont change?!) and then the striker is allowed time on the ball and finish to draw.

Very annoying, if it happens a lot more I will be flying the flag that they have programmed it to do it that way.....and I would have smashed my controller to pieces as well ;))

PS Playing this game assisted online is asking for trouble.

I'm having great fun on Ultimate team offline and Online games (League thingy) fully manual. I haven't touched CM hardly. So I need to start a new one of those as well!

PS Playing this game assisted online is asking for trouble.

I'm having great fun on Ultimate team offline and Online games (League thingy) fully manual. I haven't touched CM hardly. So I need to start a new one of those as well!
Yeah, assisted play doesn't do justice to how FIFA can be at its best - it's strange how UT can't be filtered for manual when Seasons can...

Ruins that entire game mode really unless you're into that type of game or like playing offline :(.

I'm getting really cheesed off with these random bad touches, almost like a static effect, where the ball just bounces off my player and goes to the nearest CPU player.

And almost everytime this happens, I'm not even moving the player, it just hits him and flicks up or wide, sometimes even comically 20-30 yards to the opposing team, in a scripted manner. :PIRATE:

Yeah it would be great to have a full manual online in UT. I guess the chances of finding a game would be slim anyway to be honest, but still it would be nice to have he option.
EA really don't push the manual controls as much as I think they should - you'd only really know about them if you go to change the settings (many people don't) or play the skill challenges that use manual settings and decide to switch (most people probably find it too hard and wouldn't).

Playing on default settings kind of makes me realise how I've outgrown that style of football game... Back in the days of FIFA 2000-2004 I loved being able to score tons of cheap goals with my fave players at the time and I'm sure UT still provides that thrill for 10-15 year olds now, but at 21 I find it really stupid.

UT offline? I'll have to give that a try. :)

I'm getting really cheesed off with these random bad touches, almost like a static effect, where the ball just bounces off my player and goes to the nearest CPU player.
[

Yeah - this is a bit strange and needs to be addressed.

Keeper slider down to 20 is a massive improvement, no longer do they perfectly catch really hard shots, it just seems to affect their handling so they can still save what they should save but now they tend to do it far more realistically by pushing it wide/over as well as making handling mistakes costing a goal (but not too many) or fumbles leading to epic scrambles.

Have you noticed an increase in goals as a result? Have you done anything, like adjust shot error, to compensate? I want more realistic keepers but not silly score lines.

I'm a little frustrated with how perfect the keepers, especially CPU, can be at times. 1v1 situations should be great scoring opportunities but they don't work out that way.

No the scores are very similar to before the change but the game's just that much more realistic, I have raised shot error slightly to compensate, will post the sliders tomorrow, had a bunch more matches today and really happy with how it plays out now and the goals scored are definitely more realistic looking (as well as the misses).

No the scores are very similar to before the change but the game's just that much more realistic, I have raised shot error slightly to compensate, will post the sliders tomorrow, had a bunch more matches today and really happy with how it plays out now and the goals scored are definitely more realistic looking (as well as the misses).

Tried the Fifa demo again with your sliders, and although the game still feels a bit too "floaty" in my opinion, it was a huge step up from the default stuff. So looking forward to trying out your sliders. :)

Back
Top Bottom