FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

Indeed. Given the right situation it can look great and actually work very well, but as said above when someone knocks it back to the keeper who then does keepy ups and around the world tricks before passing around the defenders who do the same, that's just being a twat.

Someone was doing that to me the other day. Obviously a better player than me and they went into a 5-0 lead very quickly just using pacey players and tricks. Was so rubbish.

He then spent the rest of the game trying to make me look stupid by doing tricks and coming out with the keeper etc. I'm having none of it, nor am I quitting.

Put the controller down, went for a piss, made a coffee - came back in the 89th minute and he's still doing tricks in his own box... weird. I did clump one of his players in the 90th minute which was satisfying in its own way!

I am a fan of the fancy pass at the right time.

I scored a beauty online last night where I played the ball in to Totti on the edge of the box and he stopped it and done a kind of reverse rabona on the deck to De Rossi who kept had kept his run going and slammed it into the top left corner. It just looked and felt great.

Manual 1v1 seasons is a joy this year, only played a few pressure whores but its not as easy for them this year.

Normally you see folk trying the skills direct from centre when the have just conceeded a second goal, I usually take this as a sign they have resigned themselves to defeat :)

Sliders are the bane of my existence - I think I spend more time tweaking them than enjoying the gameplay!

They are a great idea though and I would never suggest they shouldn't be included. Just really wish there were more, especially a stamina slider. And god I wish the darn injury slider worked better.

Yeah; I'd love an AI Pressing slider.

If you don't like the AI pressing like crazy, tweaking the AI acceleration slider and man marking sliders down does the trick. On higher levels I find they get massive stat boosts in these areas.

And to the person who wished for lower AI shooting accuracy, there is an AI shooting accuracy slider.

If you don't like the AI pressing like crazy, tweaking the AI acceleration slider and man marking sliders down does the trick. On higher levels I find they get massive stat boosts in these areas.

And to the person who wished for lower AI shooting accuracy, there is an AI shooting accuracy slider.

Thanks for that. :)

This game wets all over Pes in my opinion.

The sliders just do the trick. Keep it normal speed but alter acceleration and running speed - viola!

The sheer magnitude of animations in this is startling, you can score deflections, scrappy goals, tap ins, dinked finishes, long range drives, daisy cutters, side foots, you name it.

I just dont understand how people who love pes cant get on with this game? Once you tweak the sliders you can get any experience you want.

I am a fan of the fancy pass at the right time.

I scored a beauty online last night where I played the ball in to Totti on the edge of the box and he stopped it and done a kind of reverse rabona on the deck to De Rossi who kept had kept his run going and slammed it into the top left corner. It just looked and felt great.

Manual 1v1 seasons is a joy this year, only played a few pressure whores but its not as easy for them this year.

Normally you see folk trying the skills direct from centre when the have just conceeded a second goal, I usually take this as a sign they have resigned themselves to defeat :)

I agree that Manual 1v1 is a joy. I am absolutely loving it. PBB mentioned he was 5 down early on. I doubt that was on manual. I'm ok at the game but now and then you get a thumping and when I had a few games back on assisted it happened. It was absolute utter gash though. 100mph rubbish. The manual games have been fantastic. Always getting games and the game is a joy. Even if it ends up being 0-0. I've had a few promotions in last week I've been playing it so seen to be scoring more than precious versions. Can't wait to play this on Next Gen on PS4.

Going back to what Scutch said about twats. I had one earlier. I needed 1 win in last 2 games but this kid kicks off, turns around and scores an OG. He proceeds to do this over and over. What is the point of that?! He probably wanted me to quit to bet the win but I messaged him to tell him I wasn't going to quit so what was he playing at? He had the nerve to say too many geeks spoil the game. He went on to say his life sucks at the moment and I take gaming too seriously. I told him I had a spare hour to play and he's just spoiled the time I had. He said I should be happy with the win!! I just wanted a decent game of Manual FIFA. I was quite surprised somebody who takes the time to play on manual would act this way. Anyway, I told him I was reporting him and then he begged me not to. Too late knobjock! He spoiled the hour I had so in not doing idiots like that any favours.
I had a great game with one kid who then messaged crying at the end that it was a rubbish game and he should have had a pen at the end! I need to foul him first!! I really am loving the game again though. I can't do single player but online is superb. Had a few co-op games with a mate and they were great too. He's buggered off onto GTA now though which is surprising considering how addicted to FIFA he was and how good this game is.

Yeah for me even on the last Fifa Manual 1vs1 was great. I had some of my best games playing those.

I haven't played many on 14 but planning to this weekend.

PU6HY if you are on Xbox add me and we can do a few friendlies.

I'm not usually on till after 9ish when I can wrangle the TV off the Mrs.

PU6HY if you are on Xbox add me and we can do a few friendlies.

I'm not usually on till after 9ish when I can wrangle the TV off the Mrs.

Will do. I'm Xbox til Xmas so got a few more months til me and my boys go PS4 and trade in to FIFA next gen. Would have been happy to stay Xbox as Live works over both consoles but going with what my nippers want.

FIFA 14 - General Discussion

Still loving it but stand by my Comment that player individuality with top players is much better on pes.
Tonight I played as Spain v Belgium and EA have turned Fellani into a speedy trickster who is impossible to get the ball off when in real life he is lump with no skill or pace.

Will do. I'm Xbox til Xmas so got a few more months til me and my boys go PS4 and trade in to FIFA next gen. Would have been happy to stay Xbox as Live works over both consoles but going with what my nippers want.

I'm up for good manual games if you see me online!?

The sliders just do the trick. Keep it normal speed but alter acceleration and running speed - viola!

The sheer magnitude of animations in this is startling, you can score deflections, scrappy goals, tap ins, dinked finishes, long range drives, daisy cutters, side foots, you name it.

I just dont understand how people who love pes cant get on with this game? Once you tweak the sliders you can get any experience you want.

FIFA does a lot of things well but there's two things I prefer on PES.

1) the passing. The weight, the speed and the feel of PES is brilliant. On FIFA the ball doesn't seem to move as naturally across the turf and can be a little slow (even tweaking the sliders doesn't hit the sweet spot for me because of "the feel").

2) Player movement/dribbling. I think the players on FIFA slalom around too much when they're dribbling from side to side. Just watch the AI when they try to keep the ball off you. Even if we make the generalisation for argument's sake that FIFA errs on the fun side more than the simulation side, that is not even fun. It just creates frustration. They go from side to side just to avoid you but there's no way they can move the ball a metre left, then a metre right and then back while still maintaining close control. Because of it, you can end up button mashing to chase them down and it creates a frenetic pace.

I experimented with three types of dribbling. Holding down close control (L2/LT) and moving the left stick, just left stick and lastly sprinting. I found that even with just the left stick the ball is moved ahead of the player a fair bit so if you want to keep a tight control you have to engage that button. The AI doesn't appear to use that or need it as they can just dodge you through other means. I'd prefer they made that part of the game more realistic. I guess it's tied to inertia, which should be used to penalise unrealistic dribbling, not just to say you can beat a player with a change of direction.

I agree with you about the AI, Calibrese, with default sliders. However if you tweak down AI acceleration and ball control it helps tone down their crazy dribbling. The key is to find a sweet spot that is both fun and realistic and brings out each player's individuality (for you). In these stats the AI gets huge stat boosts from Professional and up.

I find passing in FIFA better than PES, but again one needs to find the sweet spot with sliders, where a single 1% difference in passing error makes quite a difference.

Last edited:

If you are seriously comparing animations of FIFA 14 as a strong suit over PES 14 I just don't know what to say.

Ball physics are pretty bad and are in serious need of tweaking. If you start to bump first touch error up you get ridiculous seemingly 3000 rpm spinning balls as they bounce off your feet. Long balls into space are still useless as the pitch plays like a billiards table and the ball just continues to roll.

The collision system is just as hilarious as ever. Players fly into the air like they got punched from something in Super Smash Brothers. Players still enter this stupid contact/jockeying animation when they are nearby an opposing player but aren't making contact. Its been issues for years but EA just seem to ignore shit like that or they are too incompetent to fix it.

EA teases the shit out of you by having these sliders but still fail to include some sliders that would make marked differences how the game is played, a la the 2k sports games. The 2k games are games that you can tweak to whatever experience you want out of the box. But in the end FIFA is still heavily dependent on 3rd party tools and mods, and IMO once you get to that stage the work required to create a playable game is the same as PES has been over the years. The tools for PES have (I found) to be easier to work with and hence easier to recreate the type of experience I want. I dunno. I've tried my own sliders/other peoples sliders and it seems to be the case of tweak one thing to make an improvement in one area - but have ramifications on other aspects of the game.

I pickup FIFA, go online and play it out of the box. No messing about. Search for manual games in Seasons and that's it. Great game. I've played some great footy IMO. I've also played terribly but so what? It's the only game that can bring out emotions to playing in real life. Anger, frustration, joy etc. Whinging about the colour of the grass, nets, shoulders slightly to big, sock tape, wrong boots, a player kicking the ball with their weaker foot and the ball spinning 2 more times than it would in real life is laughable. It's a game for bloody hell sake. A pretty decent one that I'm grateful for. Stop whining and enjoy it. Or doing and go and play something else. Its a little escapism from the crap going on in my life but some people take it way to seriously. Chill bitches.

I pickup FIFA, go online and play it out of the box. No messing about. Search for manual games in Seasons and that's it. Great game. I've played some great footy IMO. I've also played terribly but so what? It's the only game that can bring out emotions to playing in real life. Anger, frustration, joy etc. Whinging about the colour of the grass, nets, shoulders slightly to big, sock tape, wrong boots, a player kicking the ball with their weaker foot and the ball spinning 2 more times than it would in real life is laughable. It's a game for bloody hell sake. A pretty decent one that I'm grateful for. Stop whining and enjoy it. Or doing and go and play something else. Its a little escapism from the crap going on in my life but some people take it way to seriously. Chill bitches.

LOL wtf are you talking about - its the only game that can bring out emotions?

I live and breathe sports and I want a game that does a decent job at recreating that on the pitch. Yeah we are nitpicky arse holes but that's only because I love football and I love gaming enough to care whether or not Konami/EA/others deliver on this. I feel I have significant, visible complaints with how the game is played. I'm not complaining that EA didn't deliver on faces, that Rooney has too much hair in game or the font is 1 size too big on the jerseys.

You are free to play the game however you want, just as I am. Comments like yours are fucking condescending and have little place in a forum dedicated to football gaming.

Anyone else find it a little easy to get the ball off the CPU's defender?

I'm playing a CM with Leyton Orient. I started on Professional but went up to World Class. To start with I was getting hammered but now I find that I am scoring a lot of goals by dispossessing the CPU's defenders and running on to score. I was thinking of moving up to Legendary but a bit worried it might cost me some points. The thing is I find World Class ok at the moment apart from the problem mentioned.

Any ideas? Shall I just move up to Legendary and risk going from top 7 to bottom 3?

FIFA 14 - General Discussion

LOL wtf are you talking about - its the only game that can bring out emotions?

I live and breathe sports and I want a game that does a decent job at recreating that on the pitch. Yeah we are nitpicky arse holes but that's only because I love football and I love gaming enough to care whether or not Konami/EA/others deliver on this. I feel I have significant, visible complaints with how the game is played. I'm not complaining that EA didn't deliver on faces, that Rooney has too much hair in game or the font is 1 size too big on the jerseys.

You are free to play the game however you want, just as I am. Comments like yours are fucking condescending and have little place in a forum dedicated to football gaming.

I meant it's the only game that brings out emotions to me! It's obviously not the only game that brings out any emotions!!

My comments have as much place in a dedicated football forum as yours. Condescending or not. I've been around this forum for years and there's the same shit posted every fucking year. Don't people get bored of spouting the same old stuff? Fact is, the game is what it is. I can't do fuck all about it so I play whatever is in front of me. If I don't like it, I don't play it. Simple.
You aren't the only one who lives and breathes sport either. I play this and realise it's a fucking game! If I want real life football, I get out on the pitch and play it. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the virtual game even with its faults... which I don't let bother me.
When you see the same shit getting posted every year it gets tedious (you wouldn't have seen it seeing as you only joined last year). If I feel like saying that now and then I will. I don't need your permission sunshine but thanks for your input. Iechyd da.

Last edited:

Anyone else find it a little easy to get the ball off the CPU's defender?

I'm playing a CM with Leyton Orient. I started on Professional but went up to World Class. To start with I was getting hammered but now I find that I am scoring a lot of goals by dispossessing the CPU's defenders and running on to score. I was thinking of moving up to Legendary but a bit worried it might cost me some points. The thing is I find World Class ok at the moment apart from the problem mentioned.

Any ideas? Shall I just move up to Legendary and risk going from top 7 to bottom 3?

Post patch, you HAVE to play on Legendary. With the patch they went a little too far in the opposite direction and now playing against the CPU is the easiest it's been in years.

The problem is that they've significantly toned down CPU reaction/response times but the AI isn't good enough to compensate. So for example with being easily able to dispossess the CPU, which is one of the biggest issues when playing the CPU IMO, the AI isn't intelligent enough to protect the ball like it should while sprinting in defense is OP. Playing on Legendary does make a difference, though it's still too easy to just sprint at a CPU dribbler and steal the ball.

If you're worried about the big jump in difficulty the easy solution is to compensate with sliders, so you could increase CPU pass, shot, and first touch error, and maybe decrease their marking.

IMO the way to always go is play with Legendary, so that you get the best out of FIFA's AI, but use the sliders to tone things down to your ability level.

FIFA does a lot of things well but there's two things I prefer on PES.

1) the passing. The weight, the speed and the feel of PES is brilliant. On FIFA the ball doesn't seem to move as naturally across the turf and can be a little slow (even tweaking the sliders doesn't hit the sweet spot for me because of "the feel").

2) Player movement/dribbling. I think the players on FIFA slalom around too much when they're dribbling from side to side. Just watch the AI when they try to keep the ball off you. Even if we make the generalisation for argument's sake that FIFA errs on the fun side more than the simulation side, that is not even fun. It just creates frustration. They go from side to side just to avoid you but there's no way they can move the ball a metre left, then a metre right and then back while still maintaining close control. Because of it, you can end up button mashing to chase them down and it creates a frenetic pace.

I experimented with three types of dribbling. Holding down close control (L2/LT) and moving the left stick, just left stick and lastly sprinting. I found that even with just the left stick the ball is moved ahead of the player a fair bit so if you want to keep a tight control you have to engage that button. The AI doesn't appear to use that or need it as they can just dodge you through other means. I'd prefer they made that part of the game more realistic. I guess it's tied to inertia, which should be used to penalise unrealistic dribbling, not just to say you can beat a player with a change of direction.

This is pretty spot-on IMO, though I slightly disagree about player movement/dribbling. For me, player movement when using only the left stick is great and I love how it feels. IMO problems start arising once you start using sprint and the dribbler modifiers.

I find that sprinting with the ball is pretty good this year, but sprinting without the ball is just silly, though a lot of this has to do with acceleration and sprint speeds. But there's still a lot of sliding, skipping, and crazy quick turns going on when sprinting without the ball in defense. Then when it comes to the dribble modifiers, that's for me when players start to lose their sense of weight again and feel floaty.

The passing system in FIFA is rather poor though, plain and simple, and the relationship between pass speed and player movement speed is ass backwards.

why do i feel like the passing for fifa14 is not so smooth 13. Also my players tend to over run passes or just standing there waiting for the ball to come to them thus easily dispossed by the opponent. anything faces this issue?

Legendary and Ultimate is very difficult to play against the AI with good sides.

What is ultimate?

Obviously everyone is different, so all I can say is that pre-patch I was really struggling on World Class, while post-patch I win most games on Legendary.

Post patch, you HAVE to play on Legendary. With the patch they went a little too far in the opposite direction and now playing against the CPU is the easiest it's been in years.

The problem is that they've significantly toned down CPU reaction/response times but the AI isn't good enough to compensate. So for example with being easily able to dispossess the CPU, which is one of the biggest issues when playing the CPU IMO, the AI isn't intelligent enough to protect the ball like it should while sprinting in defense is OP. Playing on Legendary does make a difference, though it's still too easy to just sprint at a CPU dribbler and steal the ball.

If you're worried about the big jump in difficulty the easy solution is to compensate with sliders, so you could increase CPU pass, shot, and first touch error, and maybe decrease their marking.

IMO the way to always go is play with Legendary, so that you get the best out of FIFA's AI, but use the sliders to tone things down to your ability level.

Ok thanks for the info. I will try Legendary and adjust sliders.

We have Man City at home in the Capital One Cup in about 3 games time. So hopefully I will improve by the time I play them.

Legendary and Ultimate is very difficult to play against the AI with good sides.

What is Ultimate level? Blindfolded?! :P

just played few matches on pc, for me game is playable only on "slow" setting. i would say it has some improvements over fifa 13 in terms of gameplay. presentation and menu graphics design are awesome.

The problem is nobody plays online with manual controls in PC...:RANT:

just played few matches on pc, for me game is playable only on "slow" setting. i would say it has some improvements over fifa 13 in terms of gameplay. presentation and menu graphics design are awesome.

I had thought slow to be too sluggish but today I've been playing on slow with sprint speed at 45 and accel at 48 and it's fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom