FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

Don't agree.
Played as juve last night and was staggered to find in 80th minute a speedy winger flying down the left - who was it? Pirlo.
He don't leave the centre circle let alone fly down the wing in 80th min.

I think that when it comes to individuality, FIFA has made big strides when it is you controlling a player, but the same isn't as true when it's the AI controlling a player. It's probably because the individuality results primarily from technical attribute stats and not enough from mental.

A big issue is that FIFA has a rather inflexible tactical system, so you get players acting under the requirements of the position they are in in that moment rather their own traits. So if Pirlo has switched with a player on the wing, he assumes the winger role rather than acting as an out of position CM. One of my biggest pet peeves is when players switch with another player and stay put when they shouldn't - e.g. a striker stays in midfield rather than rushing forward in attack.

IMO I'd love for EA to focus on individual player tendencies - call it Pro Player Tendencies or whatever - e.g. wide players/attackers that tuck in; strikers that play with back to goal; strikers that play off back shoulder of defenders; defenders with a reputation for rash tackles; etc. Then depending on the player, these tendencies vary in their influence relative to formation and team tactics. I think EA might try to argue that these differences are already in the game, but IMO they are there in terms of technical stats - e.g. b/c of stats, some strikers are better with their back to the goal than others - but not so much in the way that they behave when controlled by the AI.

Last edited:

Searching for help, have also the PC version with acer laptop and ati graphics card 5850, but i always get micro stuttering. I have tried many solutions which I found with google, but dont help.
So could someone help me out? All other games run absolutely smooth.:CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

Go to documents/fifa14. open fifasetup with notepad and enter the below values. Worked for me.

ASPECTRATIO = 1.778
CONTROLLER_DEFAULT = 0
DISABLE_WINDAERO = 1
FULLSCREEN = 1
MSAA_LEVEL = 4
RENDERINGQUALITY = 3
RESOLUTIONHEIGHT = 1080
RESOLUTIONWIDTH = 1920
SCREEN_SLEEP = 16
VOICECHAT = 0
WAITFORVSYNC = 1

Hope it works for you :)

Heh sorry mate, didn't mean to be offensive. Just saying that... uh... cardiff are more reliant on... thing other than pure skill for their wins compared to Man U or other prem league teams. Again, just limiting my discussion to perm league, I ain't comparing them to Wimbledon :P

Only joking. I was at the game v Newcastle last week and there wasn't exactly that much wrong with the way we played 2nd half. Knocked the ball around well enough and looked a much better team when we tried to play instead of giving it to Ben Turner to hit long balls!!! Played some decent enough stuff tbh but to little to late. 1st half was absolutely dreadful though!!

As for FIFA, I'm not somebody who gets bothered as much about all this individuality. I can see it with some players but most of the time it's passing simple passes for me so it's not really that much of an issue. Guess it means more to some than others. If it comes about in years to come then cool but I still enjoy the game anyway... on manual of course as its crap otherwise.

Mutch was the best player on the park when he came on and you could see the better quality in individual players from Newcastle. I think that stats and such should be the lead and way forward for all football games.

Mutch was the best player on the park when he came on and you could see the better quality in individual players from Newcastle. I think that stats and such should be the lead and way forward for all football games.

Medel for me. Neat and tidy and didn't give ball away. Could do with him playing balls forward more though but suppose he's more defensive. Liked the look of him though. Geordies def had more quality though and probably took their foot off the pedal. We can't invite teams at us when playing at home. 2nd half performance needs to be replicated from the off.

Wow. Just changed to "Dynamic" camera instead of Tele and the game is even better for me. It's more zoomed in than I'd like, even on zoom level 0, but just seems like a nice change. I know they fixed Dynamic in the latest patch because a lot of people were complaining, but I'd never used it before.

Go to documents/fifa14. open fifasetup with notepad and enter the below values. Worked for me.

ASPECTRATIO = 1.778
CONTROLLER_DEFAULT = 0
DISABLE_WINDAERO = 1
FULLSCREEN = 1
MSAA_LEVEL = 4
RENDERINGQUALITY = 3
RESOLUTIONHEIGHT = 1080
RESOLUTIONWIDTH = 1920
SCREEN_SLEEP = 16
VOICECHAT = 0
WAITFORVSYNC = 1

Hope it works for you :)

Ok, will try it out, thanks

Edit: Dont work for me....

Last edited:

Wow. Just changed to "Dynamic" camera instead of Tele and the game is even better for me. It's more zoomed in than I'd like, even on zoom level 0, but just seems like a nice change. I know they fixed Dynamic in the latest patch because a lot of people were complaining, but I'd never used it before.

I hate playing with that camera - you can't see any of the play and have to rely on the radar. I've started playing with Pro Cam and it's a revelation. You can see as much of the play as you want, it's so much easier to make attacks with intricate little passing, and when it comes to bearing down on goal, you can see it almost as the player would in real life. Not only is it more exciting, it's also easier to aim the shot.

I hate playing with that camera - you can't see any of the play and have to rely on the radar. I've started playing with Pro Cam and it's a revelation. You can see as much of the play as you want, it's so much easier to make attacks with intricate little passing, and when it comes to bearing down on goal, you can see it almost as the player would in real life. Not only is it more exciting, it's also easier to aim the shot.

I tried that but thought I was playing Super Soccer again on the SNES.

Didn't you find it more immersive? Being closer to the action when on the ball, and seeing more of the stadium?

It was making me feel a bit dizzy, but saying that I think it was due to the fact I was just trying different camera's instead of Tele. Will give it another go later :)

It was making me feel a bit dizzy, but saying that I think it was due to the fact I was just trying different camera's instead of Tele. Will give it another go later :)

Yeah - I guess it does take a bit of getting used to. Maybe reduce the swing and speed settings if you're getting dizzy. It's not going to be to everyone's taste of course. :) I just got fed up of missing passes because of the radar's limitations and someone here suggested trying Pro Cam, so I did! :)

I've tried playing with Pro Cam before and it is good, but it's problematic if you're using manual passing because it rotates and changes your pass direction.

i can't see myself playing with anything other than tele broadcast or tele. i've tried pro cam before and found it completely disorientating. and dynamic is faaaaaaar too zoomed in, can't see anything of the play.

Despite me saying of not buying it, I did.

First game Chelsea vs WHU (with update on) - 1-0 win.

Was quite a joy as both teams didn't exceed 80% passing accuracy. I scored after Ivanovic -> Eto'o cross.

Still find it, that those 2 elements are overpowered. As are through balls (could have been 2 or 3 more goals if not for WHU GK. Jaaskalaainen was IMMENSE!!!!!!).

The ball is definitely not free as people call it though. It still glues to player feet when in possession. Ball won't be separate object anytime soon here (weird as pluck in NHL from EA Sports IS completely SEPARATE entity with OWN physics).

What I did love from the first game, shooting. So much more variety now. Low/middle/crazy swerves. Finally in FIFA :LOL:.

On PC this game can already look stunning. No shitting.

Will probably upload some footage onto YT soon. However, COMMENTATORS ARE FUCKING TERRIBLE. Turned them OFF, completely. Now can at least enjoy the atmosphere on stadium and other stuff. Guess, it will become my new style. Play without commentary. Unless it's done like in 2k NBA series... :)

One more thing which is annoying. Cannot slide tackle. if you try slide tackling, AI player miraculously becomes untouchable or jumps above your slide tackle. Always.

It's also impossible to foul from behind intentionally. Shame as it was definitely possible pre-FIFA 12 era :(.

I always slide tackle and it works well. I do know what you mean and sometimes they seem to read your mind and move out of the way, but I slide tackle a lot and get a good success rate.

I fouled from behind yesterday and got a straight red, so that is possible as well :))

But difficult to pull off, compared with PES it's really frustrating.

I want to pull out brutal tackles :(, but cannot.

The AI also gets stats boosting ~45 min and 85+ min into match. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Got easily bossed by Cardiff when I was playing as Chelsea. although throughout the game I was better side, they miraculously went on par with me, even topping possession in final 10 mins of game :LOL:.

info0 you need to consider slider modifications, man. I know you will - glad to see you over here, I just couldn't stand PES after playing FIFA this year. It really is a more complete game imho.

Don't like that whole sliders idea. Never really liked it. Would there be need for it if gameplay out of the box was spot on?

Therefore will leave it on 50s for now, just boosting speed of power bar to 62 for now :D.

This game is really good. Plagued with minor glitches on PC, but bearable ;).

Wasn't expecting much after playing demo, but full game took step in right direction. Plus it looks really nice my end. Could say NG :LOL:.

Would there be need for it if gameplay out of the box was spot on?

Define "spot on"?

We all like different things in terms of how the football is played on the pitch, certainly when we come from following different leagues we'll want different things, I as a fan of the English Premier League would not find gameplay which simulates Serie A "spot on" :)

Yeah I don't get the argument that it should be spot on out of the box, it is so subjective as Placebo says. But the sliders should be embraced, especially if it can be improved and play more the way you would like.

For me personally I usually keep it default because sometimes I play online and don't want to get used to slider settings that I can't use online.

but if you mainly play offline then why not invest some time into using improved sliders instead of not? Your just punishing yourself :PP

The AI also gets stats boosting ~45 min and 85+ min into match. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Got easily bossed by Cardiff when I was playing as Chelsea. although throughout the game I was better side, they miraculously went on par with me, even topping possession in final 10 mins of game :LOL:.

No it doesn't. I've never had a problem with last minute AI goals, usually I'm the one scoring them.

Define "spot on"?

We all like different things in terms of how the football is played on the pitch, certainly when we come from following different leagues we'll want different things, I as a fan of the English Premier League would not find gameplay which simulates Serie A "spot on" :)

Spot on as in PES3-6 days. Or FIFA 11 PC. I have never wanted sliders back then. Because gameplay was ace back then.
You can also implement different League play styles. That's not that hard for EA Sports.

The game is better than expected though which is a good thing I guess ;). Still doesn't play like football though :P

Spot on as in PES3-6 days. Or FIFA 11 PC. I have never wanted sliders back then. Because gameplay was ace back then.
You can also implement different League play styles. That's not that hard for EA Sports.
The game is better than expected though which is a good thing I guess ;). Still doesn't play like football though :P
But FIFA 11 PC vanilla vs CPU was a mess - you had to use gameplay mods like Hybrid by Fidel to enjoy the game. Gameplay was good and enjoyable, but CPU patterns were so primitive.

About sliders, this game needs different settings based on team level. One slider set for 5-4.5 star teams, another one for 4-3.5 ones, etc. Some sets I tried this year (Orion, Zjac7) are designed to play with top teams, 'cause as soon as you play some games in lower divisions like English League 2, they don't work that well.

Last edited:

Define "spot on"?

Well if we're talking about differences in styles among football leagues, then "spot on" ought to be representing those differences accurately.

But there's a difference between being spot on - as in being a well balanced football - and meeting each's own preferences.

For example, pretty much the one and only constant among the most popular slider recommendations is lowering acceleration and sprint speed. This has little to do, IMO, with changing the style of football played and pretty much everything to do with making the game easier to play, especially with manual controls on Legendary difficulty.

IMO, with the recent patch FIFA 14 now plays a very well balanced game out of the box, even if it's still too fast and frenetic for my tastes. I'm really hoping that Precision Movement has an even bigger impact on next gen 14 because I still see LOADS of unrealistic movement going on, especially when defending.

How do you set up and stop your tatics from reverting to something?

I'll tap to do team pressure, a few minutes later the commentary will start talking about me playing an offside trap. I can't tell if it's changing to offside trap as that's my default tactic or if it's glitching and selecting it or just the commentary is glitched

my sliders are actually a slight variation of orion's and for me they play very good regardless of team level.

imo sliders are a must to increase realism (especially the arcady default pace) and fine tune difficulty, which is even more necessary when you play with manual controls. i don't get all the purism, the game is anything but "spot on" out of the box.

How do you set up and stop your tatics from reverting to something?

I'll tap to do team pressure, a few minutes later the commentary will start talking about me playing an offside trap. I can't tell if it's changing to offside trap as that's my default tactic or if it's glitching and selecting it or just the commentary is glitched

It's the commentary that's glitched, it's just really slow at mentioning the changes, was the same last year.

Back
Top Bottom