FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

I have to say I really love the game, the faults I have always had with FIFA were, lack of realistic movement, lack of individuality apart from strength and pace, lack of flow to the matches, inability to really pressure the opponent, AI being unrealistic in their constant skill moves to get past you.

This was even up until last year, the pinnacle for me was FIFA 09 and then it went downhill, but this I am loving, the players have a weight to them now and realistically push off from a standing start and build momentum, the midfield is now not bypassed and having a good passing midfielder can really dictate the play, even James McCarthy of Everton who hasn't a great overall but is quick with his feet and his passing has a real weight and accuracy to it, the new foot planting is really setting players apart too.

Only complaint is a cheap tactic to sprint down the wing, wrong foot the defender and cut inside.

But yes, bravo EA for changing this to be far more realistic.

Great post Darthkebab. I love this Fifa too for all the reasons you suggested. One thing I also love is the individuality of the players coming through, especially with slider tweaks. Speed, acceleration, ball control, strength, passing, shooting are all individually represented. It's refreshing to see in Fifa after that lack was knocked by PES fans for so long.. (including by me as a PES fan =P).

Cant you press cancel (whatever button that is for your console, ps3 is o I think) and it just moves to the next menu to select teams?

Great post Darthkebab. I love this Fifa too for all the reasons you suggested. One thing I also love is the individuality of the players coming through, especially with slider tweaks. Speed, acceleration, ball control, strength, passing, shooting are all individually represented. It's refreshing to see in Fifa after that lack was knocked by PES fans for so long.. (including by me as a PES fan =P).

Eh I don't really agree. I've put 20 hours into FIFA 14 at this point, all of it 20 min exhibition games world class/legendary (mainly world class) not dicking around in CM. Only time I've spent in menus is tweaking sliders.

I have a big issue with how EA implemented inertia. First touch of the slower players is just way too slow - often if I picked up a fortuitous pass by a defender or defensive mid but the inertia system just exaggerates the first touch so much it is incredibly easy for the high paced attacker to dispossess. Players should be able to flick the ball and create some space easily but far too often i collect the ball, attempt to shift direction, but it takes such a painfully long time I end up losing it. Note this isn't really 'inertia' - I'm not accelerating from standing position merely changing direction of my first touch. I'm not saying John Terry should be able to do flicks and turns like iniesta or pirlo but I think that where EA screwed up is that inertia should be implemented on the SECOND touch rather than the first. Suffixing this with 'this is just my opinion' and I'm not trying to rag on a game you enjoy but personally I think thats how such a system should work rather than the way it is implemented right now.

I really don't see much player or team individuality. I played 2 consecutive games against everton and they managed 90% pass success in the first game and then 88% in the second. This is with heavily modified sliders with CPU pass error up at 69 or something. All prem league teams I've played against (and I've played against all of them, even Cardiff) easily manage 82-84% pass success which is grossly unrealistic. When you are compressing 90 min of football down to 20 min you'd expect pass success to be much LOWER than what it is in real life because a lot more attacking passes are played which have lower success rates. This manifests like this because I feel that EA just tweaked the "Pass support" tactic from Fifa 13 to make the range much smaller in 14. Potentially explains why GK's take so many short kicks as well. Most games, I can count in one hand the number of long balls played by the AI. I see maybe 1 or 2 long balls (either in the air or on the ground) played spontaneously by outfield players a game (i.e. when I'm not pressuring them super hard).

I think you have to differentiate 'individuality' from 'visible stats' - to an extent, I agree certain stats stand out (pace and acceleration especially) but to me what 'individuality' really determines how a player plays INDEPENDENT of stats. And IMO in this regard PES remains far ahead of FIFA, in terms of things like Box-to-box midfielders, midfield playmakers playing in the 'hole', strikers playing off the shoulder of defenders etc

You mentioned passing specifically but once you start to bump up pass error I see no difference between Vidic or Rooney playing a pass.

I find it incredible that people praise the 'flow' of the match. The AI play incredibly static possession. Even when there are obvious outlet passes the AI sticks to its routine of playing high %age passes. It's just become a slog against the AI and 20 hours in I still feel I haven't hit the right slider settings or something.

All in all I don't really get the hype around FIFA 14. Its a big upgrade from 13 or 12 but that really ain't saying much. Its a good game but people act like its footballing perfection, akin to the nba 2k series or mlb the show.

Eh its frustrating. I'm just not getting the joy out of the game others seem to be. I dunno at times I feel I downloaded a special version that nobody else seems to have played.

I have slated PES14 this year but one I will say is that they do have player identity.
Ill choose Pirlo for my example. Dictates the play, has a great range of passing, isnt fast etc.
But in FIfa I dont get that feeling with him. Or any other world class players. Might be just me but I dont get the feeling I have a world class player in my control and theyre all a bit samey.

I've only chucked FIFA on a few times since I've had it and I'm usually an all manual player but I've just been playing on assisted and the games have been absolute rubbish. There is more passing error but the constant chipped through balls and some people's 100mph passing is a joke. I still play realistically on assisted. I did start on manual but when playing co-op with a mate I went back to assisted as not to misplace easy passes and not to annoy him as he's an assisted gimp :) I forgot to change back. I'm only talking since yesterday here as I haven't played on my own for a while. So today I thought what the hell am I doing as the games were shite. Played 3 games of all manual and they were absolutely superb. Never going back to that assisted rubbish ever again. It spoils a great game. Not when you play decent people but they are few and far between so I will avoid like the plague again from now on. Probably played about 10 on assisted and every one of them was bunk!! I've had a lot on my mind lately so couldn't be bothered concentrating so much but won't be making that mistake again.

I have slated PES14 this year but one I will say is that they do have player identity.
Ill choose Pirlo for my example. Dictates the play, has a great range of passing, isnt fast etc.
But in FIfa I dont get that feeling with him. Or any other world class players. Might be just me but I dont get the feeling I have a world class player in my control and theyre all a bit samey.
good post, agreed completely. too bad pes sucks overall.
i had more feeling of player identity in fifa 13 than i have in fifa 14 tbh. not saying that fifa 14 is worse than pes or fifa 13, of course.

Eh I don't really agree. I've put 20 hours into FIFA 14 at this point, all of it 20 min exhibition games world class/legendary (mainly world class) not dicking around in CM. Only time I've spent in menus is tweaking sliders.

I have a big issue with how EA implemented inertia. First touch of the slower players is just way too slow - often if I picked up a fortuitous pass by a defender or defensive mid but the inertia system just exaggerates the first touch so much it is incredibly easy for the high paced attacker to dispossess. Players should be able to flick the ball and create some space easily but far too often i collect the ball, attempt to shift direction, but it takes such a painfully long time I end up losing it. Note this isn't really 'inertia' - I'm not accelerating from standing position merely changing direction of my first touch. I'm not saying John Terry should be able to do flicks and turns like iniesta or pirlo but I think that where EA screwed up is that inertia should be implemented on the SECOND touch rather than the first. Suffixing this with 'this is just my opinion' and I'm not trying to rag on a game you enjoy but personally I think thats how such a system should work rather than the way it is implemented right now.

I really don't see much player or team individuality. I played 2 consecutive games against everton and they managed 90% pass success in the first game and then 88% in the second. This is with heavily modified sliders with CPU pass error up at 69 or something. All prem league teams I've played against (and I've played against all of them, even Cardiff) easily manage 82-84% pass success which is grossly unrealistic. When you are compressing 90 min of football down to 20 min you'd expect pass success to be much LOWER than what it is in real life because a lot more attacking passes are played which have lower success rates. This manifests like this because I feel that EA just tweaked the "Pass support" tactic from Fifa 13 to make the range much smaller in 14. Potentially explains why GK's take so many short kicks as well. Most games, I can count in one hand the number of long balls played by the AI. I see maybe 1 or 2 long balls (either in the air or on the ground) played spontaneously by outfield players a game (i.e. when I'm not pressuring them super hard).

I think you have to differentiate 'individuality' from 'visible stats' - to an extent, I agree certain stats stand out (pace and acceleration especially) but to me what 'individuality' really determines how a player plays INDEPENDENT of stats. And IMO in this regard PES remains far ahead of FIFA, in terms of things like Box-to-box midfielders, midfield playmakers playing in the 'hole', strikers playing off the shoulder of defenders etc

You mentioned passing specifically but once you start to bump up pass error I see no difference between Vidic or Rooney playing a pass.

I find it incredible that people praise the 'flow' of the match. The AI play incredibly static possession. Even when there are obvious outlet passes the AI sticks to its routine of playing high %age passes. It's just become a slog against the AI and 20 hours in I still feel I haven't hit the right slider settings or something.

All in all I don't really get the hype around FIFA 14. Its a big upgrade from 13 or 12 but that really ain't saying much. Its a good game but people act like its footballing perfection, akin to the nba 2k series or mlb the show.

Eh its frustrating. I'm just not getting the joy out of the game others seem to be. I dunno at times I feel I downloaded a special version that nobody else seems to have played.

I won't argue with you about EA's implementation of momentum - it's not perfect but I think it's a pretty good start - but about passing, I just wanted to point out that Cardiff in real life have a 76% passing accuracy rating according to WhoScored.com, which is only 6-8 percentage points less than what you've experienced. That is not "grossly unrealistic" and surely not the end of the world.

And I think people get too caught up in some of the match stats, especially passing accuracy. My experience is that unless you're playing really long half lengths and significantly altering sliders, realistic passing accuracy leads to unrealistic chance creation, goals, and results. Personally I think the latter three are more important.

About individuality, yes PES is still the superior game when it comes to representing tactical differences among players, like those traits that you mention, but aside from that individuality is really good this year in FIFA, and in some ways I think better than PES. Playing a CM with Chelsea, there's massive differences in the abilities of my players - in how they move physically, in how they feel to control, their passing accuracy, finishing, dribbling, tackling, pace, etc. Mata is simply amazing in tight spaces, Mikel is an asset in defense but can't be trusted with possession, Hazard's pace and dribbling are awesome threats, etc. My biggest complaint really is that pace is still a bit too over-powered, mostly when it comes to defending (just about the most effective form of defense is to rush back with a pacey player and intercept/tackle from behind).

Last night after playing for several hours in CM, I then played a match as West Brom just to compare how the new patch felt with a lesser team, and it was like playing a different game - their lack of quality, pace, and their strength made the match an entirely different affair. After playing with Eto up front Anichebe felt like a tank.

I'm also surprised you think the AI plays a static game in attack. One of my biggest issues with the game is that it's still too counter-attack dominant for my tastes and the flow a little too frantic.

Anyone know of an online database that shows all kits in FIFA - and not just shirts but the entire kit?

What the fuck do you mean "even Cardiff"??? There's worse teams than us!! ;)

Thanks to someone's suggestion, I tried playing the game with Pro Camera and man is it fun! It's so much easier to see the play around you, so much easier to play the ball into those little channels and it's really exciting to be controlling a forward as he charges towards goal - and it's much easier to aim the shot as well. I recommend everyone gives it a go, just to see what you think! :)

I'm curious: do people think it matters whether you play 2 or 3 in central midfield?

I'm trying to figure out in my lower league CM whether the benefits of having a second striker in the box don't outweigh any benefits of having a third in midfield. So far I'm not really sure that having that extra man in midfield matters (like it ought to IMO).

I won't argue with you about EA's implementation of momentum - it's not perfect but I think it's a pretty good start - but about passing, I just wanted to point out that Cardiff in real life have a 76% passing accuracy rating according to WhoScored.com, which is only 6-8 percentage points less than what you've experienced. That is not "grossly unrealistic" and surely not the end of the world.

And I think people get too caught up in some of the match stats, especially passing accuracy. My experience is that unless you're playing really long half lengths and significantly altering sliders, realistic passing accuracy leads to unrealistic chance creation, goals, and results. Personally I think the latter three are more important.

About individuality, yes PES is still the superior game when it comes to representing tactical differences among players, like those traits that you mention, but aside from that individuality is really good this year in FIFA, and in some ways I think better than PES. Playing a CM with Chelsea, there's massive differences in the abilities of my players - in how they move physically, in how they feel to control, their passing accuracy, finishing, dribbling, tackling, pace, etc. Mata is simply amazing in tight spaces, Mikel is an asset in defense but can't be trusted with possession, Hazard's pace and dribbling are awesome threats, etc. My biggest complaint really is that pace is still a bit too over-powered, mostly when it comes to defending (just about the most effective form of defense is to rush back with a pacey player and intercept/tackle from behind).

Last night after playing for several hours in CM, I then played a match as West Brom just to compare how the new patch felt with a lesser team, and it was like playing a different game - their lack of quality, pace, and their strength made the match an entirely different affair. After playing with Eto up front Anichebe felt like a tank.

I'm also surprised you think the AI plays a static game in attack. One of my biggest issues with the game is that it's still too counter-attack dominant for my tastes and the flow a little too frantic.

Again, interpreting overall pass success from something like Whoscored requires caution. Its a bit of a bugbear in my mind when people talk about stats without really having a clue whats really going on. If you look at for example Man U's passing stats, Ferdinand and Vidic have 88% pass success. Rooney has 75%. Why? Because Rooney is generally playing far higher up the pitch and is playing much more difficult passes. Rather than looking at overall pass success (as I mentioned in my post) look at stats like passing in the final third etc (stats that are available, four four two's stat zone is great for stuff like that). In Cardiff's last game v Newcastle they made 77 out of 132 passes in the attacking third - thats 58% success. Yet they will boss the game in your midfield in Fifa 14. Incredibly unrealistic.

Again stats are not the same as individuality. Individuality is how a player plays no matter what stats he has. I don't see Yaya Toure running around bossing the midfield. And honestly I see little difference in stuff like passing. Passing a diagonal ball with Gerrard or with Skrtel feels completely the same. Gerrard does not exert more or better control of the pass. The ball still rolls forever no matter who plays it.

I dunno. Yeah the inertia system does make lighter players feel better than heavier ones. But honestly I feel thats the limit of the individuality in 14. Pes 14 isn't perfect in this regard, largely because Konami's default team tactics are largely ass (although for they did a pretty damn good job for some teams). But if I compare this to say NBA 2k14, I can virtually instantly tell who a player is even if you gave him a generic face based on how he plays, you can tell what a team is based on how they play. That's REAL individuality and what EA should be striving for. Currently I feel as a lifelong football fan EA ain't even close.

What the fuck do you mean "even Cardiff"??? There's worse teams than us!! ;)

Heh sorry mate, didn't mean to be offensive. Just saying that... uh... cardiff are more reliant on... thing other than pure skill for their wins compared to Man U or other prem league teams. Again, just limiting my discussion to perm league, I ain't comparing them to Wimbledon :P

Again, interpreting overall pass success from something like Whoscored requires caution. Its a bit of a bugbear in my mind when people talk about stats without really having a clue whats really going on. If you look at for example Man U's passing stats, Ferdinand and Vidic have 88% pass success. Rooney has 75%. Why? Because Rooney is generally playing far higher up the pitch and is playing much more difficult passes. Rather than looking at overall pass success (as I mentioned in my post) look at stats like passing in the final third etc (stats that are available, four four two's stat zone is great for stuff like that). In Cardiff's last game v Newcastle they made 77 out of 132 passes in the attacking third - thats 58% success. Yet they will boss the game in your midfield in Fifa 14. Incredibly unrealistic.

Again stats are not the same as individuality. Individuality is how a player plays no matter what stats he has. I don't see Yaya Toure running around bossing the midfield. And honestly I see little difference in stuff like passing. Passing a diagonal ball with Gerrard or with Skrtel feels completely the same. Gerrard does not exert more or better control of the pass. The ball still rolls forever no matter who plays it.

I dunno. Yeah the inertia system does make lighter players feel better than heavier ones. But honestly I feel thats the limit of the individuality in 14. Pes 14 isn't perfect in this regard, largely because Konami's default team tactics are largely ass (although for they did a pretty damn good job for some teams). But if I compare this to say NBA 2k14, I can virtually instantly tell who a player is even if you gave him a generic face based on how he plays, you can tell what a team is based on how they play. That's REAL individuality and what EA should be striving for. Currently I feel as a lifelong football fan EA ain't even close.

You say we should be careful citing passing statistics and yet that's exactly what you did - you cited Cardiff's team passing accuracy as a criticism of FIFA's authenticity. If talking about stats without proper context is a bugbear of yours, you probably shouldn't have done it to begin with. In any case, in my post I said IMO people get too caught up in the passing stats in FIFA in their quest for "realism."

But I disagree that stats are not the same as individuality. Attribute stats are exactly how individuality is expressed in video games - each player is an amalgam of their given attribute stats. Now whether or not attribute stats make enough of an impact in FIFA is another debate entirely.

Personally I notice plenty of individuality between different types of players, but probably not enough among the same type of player. For example, with Chelsea playing as Mikel vs Mata is like night and day. However the difference between playing as Mata and my 64-rated CAM in my current lower league CM is probably not enough.

My theory is that individuality in FIFA is probably damned by the game's vast array of players. If the difference between the best players and the worst players in the game were more accurately represented, the lower rated teams/players might be unplayable, in that playing as lower rated teams would be a miserable experience of drudgery and low scores. And that's also why comparing individuality in FIFA to NBA 2k14 is totally unfair - FIFA has to represent SO many more players, individuality on that level is impossible.

I totally get your criticisms of inertia in FIFA. Precision Movement is proving to be only a first step in my eyes, with plenty of egregious violations of inertia still going on, especially when players are defending and using sprint. And though I notice quite a bit of individuality among players myself, I also agree that individuality can and should be better, especially in the tactical realm.

You say we should be careful citing passing statistics and yet that's exactly what you did - you cited Cardiff's team passing accuracy as a criticism of FIFA's authenticity. If talking about stats without proper context is a bugbear of yours, you probably shouldn't have done it to begin with. In any case, in my post I said IMO people get too caught up in the passing stats in FIFA in their quest for "realism."

I am not asking EA to drop everything and make sure teams recreate authentic passing % but its way too high as it is currently. AI Teams knock the ball around your box like they are barca when in actual fact pass success in the opposition third is much lower.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. It is incredibly unrealistic because it doesn't happen. There aren't enough adventurous passes made and this just contributes to the staleness of playing against the AI that I described earlier.

This isn't limited to cardiff by the way. I just used it as an example of a team that should no where near have the high passing % it has.

Being compressed to a 20 min game means that there are a lot more attacking passes played by most teams (except Barca) which should result in far lower passing percentages. Teams knock the ball around with impunity which contributes to the lack of team identity and my dissatisfaction with the game.

I am not asking EA to drop everything and make sure teams recreate authentic passing % but its way too high as it is currently. AI Teams knock the ball around your box like they are barca when in actual fact pass success in the opposition third is much lower.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. It is incredibly unrealistic because it doesn't happen. There aren't enough adventurous passes made and this just contributes to the staleness of playing against the AI that I described earlier.

This isn't limited to cardiff by the way. I just used it as an example of a team that should no where near have the high passing % it has.

Being compressed to a 20 min game means that there are a lot more attacking passes played by most teams (except Barca) which should result in far lower passing percentages. Teams knock the ball around with impunity which contributes to the lack of team identity and my dissatisfaction with the game.

What difficulty level are playing on? No offense but if ALL teams are knocking the ball around with impunity against you then you ought to try lowering the difficulty level. Or adjusting sliders to make defending easier for you. A lot of the reason why you'll see unrealistic passing accuracy is because it can be difficult to exert pressure on CPU ball handlers; increasing the marking stat can help tighten things up.

I'm playing on WC with my current lower league CM and I have no problem having more than 50% possession and I've yet to come up against a team that's been able, as you say, to knock the ball around my box like they're barca. If anything I experience the opposite and games are too end-to-end and I'd love to see the CPU try to slow it down and knock it around a bit more (though maybe that would actually be unrealistic for lower league football).

Also, have you downloaded the most recent patch? Because I've found that some imbalances - like the differences between CPU and User teams' ability to pressure - have been adjusted for the better.

Yes, you're right, FIFA does not have perfectly realistic passing accuracy stats (though again, is a 6-8% pt difference that you experienced with Cardiff ALL that big a deal?), but passing accuracy isn't the be-all-end-all of realism and individuality, and maybe you ought not get so caught up by it. Personally I'd rather pay attention to chance creation, goals, possession, and match outcomes. You can always adjust the passing slider but I think you'll then find other imbalances - when I've adjusted pass error to achieve realistic team pass accuracy outcomes I've experienced massive drops in chance creation and goals.

Again, I'm not saying FIFA doesn't need greater individuality and variety, because I think it absoultely does, espeically in the realms of tactics/strategy. FIFA isn't perfect (you said in your previous post that people are acting like it's "footballing perfection" - I haven't seen anyone say anything like this) but I think what most of us FIFA vets are saying is that the game has made substantial improvements. I've also seen plenty of people say they've noticed more individuality the more they've played - and I'm one of 'em - so maybe things will improve for you.

Last edited:

Well after finally going up to world class using team tactics i have found on the internet. And decent sliders the game feels alot more real happy day's :)

PS also using the latest patch i am a pc player

Strange, I would say 14 has the most player individuality of any Fifa I've ever played.

Don't agree.
Played as juve last night and was staggered to find in 80th minute a speedy winger flying down the left - who was it? Pirlo.
He don't leave the centre circle let alone fly down the wing in 80th min.

Searching for help, have also the PC version with acer laptop and ati graphics card 5850, but i always get micro stuttering. I have tried many solutions which I found with google, but dont help.
So could someone help me out? All other games run absolutely smooth.:CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

Maybe Pirlo just fancied a run?

Playing as Newcastle I can totally feel the individuality of the team, even down to the players form.

Remy is far more reliable than Cisse, who I just can't seem to score with. But he has better feet and I find I'm able to twist and turn defenders and lay it off to Remy a lot. When I've had to use Shola Ameobi up front I can feel he's totally different. Tall, slow, heavy touch.
The same on the wings, the difference between Gutierrez and anyone else on the left is night and day.
If I use Tiote and Sissoko as 2 defensive MFs one game I feel invincible. I put someone else there like Anita and gosling and not only do teams get through my team easier, their strength, tackling and interceptions are all worse.
Cabaye is irreplaceable too. No one else in my team can get passes on target as often and at long range.

And if I have a cup game vs lower league - I've swapped the entire team for subs/ reserves and I'm lucky to manage 5 passes without screwing up. I always have to bring on first team subs and fluke a result

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom