FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

Also forgot to mention, attacking headers were ridiculous. I think 80% of our goals were from headers. Too easy to score with them.

I think that is well documented, but just wanted to say my piece :PP

Also forgot to mention, attacking headers were ridiculous. I think 80% of our goals were from headers. Too easy to score with them.

I think that is well documented, but just wanted to say my piece :PP
I don't know if header were actually nerfed with the patch, but in one of my latest games in H2H...

Boca (Me) 3 - Roma 3. It was a strange match, as I was 3-0 in half time, with a Gigliotti header included. But the other guy made a comeback with:

- A Gervinho goal after a cross. Fair because I failed at defending.

- A ridiculous goal by Leandro Castan with a corner kick, who tried to attempt THREE headers at the same chance (my keeper Orión managed to save two of them, but the third one was too much). What were Boca defenders doing there?

- A typical extra time header by Castan again.

All I can say is, there's something wrong with the user defenders positioning in this game, both pre-patch and post-patch, which combined with their lack of awareness about what's happening, allows the attacker to at least head the ball without any problem.

i haven't had any experience as extreme as this and i'm personally loving how the game plays after the patch, but the headers themselves still are overpowered, i agree. not so overpowered as they were before, but the fix was not as effective as it needed to be imo.

Newcastle united directors at it again...

I've been scouting a striker for weeks now on the off chance Remy leaves after his loan and refuses to come on a permenantl deal. Well... I've just had an email from the board telling me that they've bought Zabaleta from Man city (there has been rumours in the news feed about him leaving for ages now). So there goes my money :(

Love it :)

i haven't had any experience as extreme as this and i'm personally loving how the game plays after the patch, but the headers themselves still are overpowered, i agree. not so overpowered as they were before, but the fix was not as effective as it needed to be imo.
I have to say though, that playing at La Bombonera, with proper Argentinian chants ("Dale Boca, Dale Bo"), realistic adboards, while Riquelme or Gago do a first-touch beauty (like in my second goal), is pure Football Nirvana.

What camera angle is that?

I feel as though i need to start using it so i can see the crowd on next gen
The new dynamic camera they just reverted lol

I can see tons of people asking to put this camera on current-gen... when it was already present.

Not really, and it's especially frustrating because the CPU is really good this year at pressing high, unrealistically so at times. In my Chelsea CM, Villa pressed me all over the pitch for example, you'd think I was playing Barca.

I've even adjusted the custom tactics to max out aggression and pressure, but it makes little difference. I can press high successfully in spurts but it's difficult to replicate those teams that press high as part of their normal M.O.
There are a few ways to get your team to press more. Use the line sliders: height 100 and length 100 = max press in the attacking zone. Also, create a custom formation with as many FWs and AMFs as you like, with positional workrates changed to high attack. That formation + the line changes will get you plenty of pressure. Use the d-pad to switch to ultra-attack of course and make sure you use players with high attack workrates. Also, CBs are programmed to stay back at midfield. If you want more pressure from your back line and have them join in the attack, create a custom formation and change the default RB RCB LCB LB setup to RWB RB LB LWB.

Last edited:

Hope it comes out today on x360. Let me know if it does and I'll turn it on.

[06/10/2013 21:04:45] Paul Statham: Yeah I saw that, due on Tuesday for consoles, lots of complaints they messed up inertia and made the game overly fast again like 13?
[06/10/2013 21:05:03] Sniperwolf: I'm not feeling that really.
[06/10/2013 21:05:21] Sniperwolf: If anything, I had more trouble with inertia than pre patch.

Sounds as though they might have slowed it down even more? Strange that people are complaining about speed. Then again, some people were whining about speed from the off - I remember someone saying the game out of the box was as fast as Roadrunner, which of course was nonsense.

There are a few ways to get your team to press more. Use the line sliders: height 100 and length 100 = max press in the attacking zone. Also, create a custom formation with as many FWs and AMFs as you like, with positional workrates changed to high attack. That formation + the line changes will get you plenty of pressure. Use the d-pad to switch to ultra-attack of course and make sure you use players with high attack workrates. Also, CBs are programmed to stay back at midfield. If you want more pressure from your back line and have them join in the attack, create a custom formation and change the default RB RCB LCB LB setup to RWB RB LB LWB.

Okay... but who the hell wants to do all that?

Besides, the point is that straight out of the box the CPU has the ability to press effectively and we don't.

Okay... but who the hell wants to do all that?
Good grief man, why didn't you mention you were only interested in complaining and didn't actually didn't want to lift a finger to help yourself? You would have saved me a ton of typing.

Besides, the point is that straight out of the box the CPU has the ability to press effectively and we don't.
Really? Is that the point... to log onto some forum to complain? Or is the point to share ideas about how to fix things so we can get on with enjoying the game?

Last edited:

So I guess the x360 patch ISN'T coming out on Tuesday like many expected? or maybe in next few hours?

Good grief man, why didn't you mention you were only interested in complaining and didn't actually didn't want to lift a finger to help yourself? You would have saved me a ton of typing.

Really? Is that the point... to log onto some forum to complain? Or is the point to share ideas about how to fix things so we can get on with enjoying the game?

Oh please. First off, I was simply responding to a question asking whether something was possible. And the answer is that the underlying mechanics of the game do not allow us to play an effective pressure game against the CPU, even though the CPU can easily do so against us.

Second, what you suggested is not a "fix" for the problem. Suggesting that we create ultra-attacking formations is not a solution and will create problems on the defensive side of the game.

Besides, the problem has nothing to do with player positioning on the pitch and everything to do with the underlying mechanics governing user defending, most importantly that it's near impossible to get close and stay close to CPU dribblers on the higher difficulty levels. Meanwhile, the CPU is not governed by the same mechanics - it doesn't have to rely on a contain feature that doesn't get close enough and it has super-human response times that allow it to get close and stay close.

Kinda thought you would've learned your lesson by now - if you're going to be an ass, at least get your shit right.

Oh please. First off, I was simply responding to a question asking whether something was possible.
And contrary to your saying it wasn't possible and later complaining about how the game should play out of the box, I explained how it is in fact possible to create a ton of offensive pressure. All it takes is a bit of effort on your part. So you're welcome.

Last edited:

And contrary to your saying it wasn't possible and later complaining about how the game should play out of the box, I explained how it is in fact possible to create a ton of offensive pressure. All it takes is a bit of effort on your part. So you're welcome.

First, quit being an ass and trying to pin me as a lazy complainer. I'm simply pointing out what is widely recognized as one of FIFA's biggest issues: the imbalances between CPU and User abilities.

And you're basically suggesting an exception that proves the rule - the only way you can (possibly) pressure effectively is by using ultra-attacking, unbalanced formations. I'd like to see some video evidence though because pressing high isn't just about getting players high up the pitch but is about being able to get in close in a coordinated fashion to strategically force turnovers.

If you honestly are okay with having to tweak sliders and use unusual formations to be able to play in a style that plenty of real teams employ, and that the CPU in default settings is very capable of, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

But when you say things like this:
If you want more pressure from your back line and have them join in the attack, create a custom formation and change the default RB RCB LCB LB setup to RWB RB LB LWB.

It makes me think you don't really know what we're talking about when we mean pressing high because it has nothing to do with the backline - and the backline attacking - and is about being able to get close and tight as a coordinated unit with your frontline attacking players.

Last edited:

very nice presentation, but players look like wrestlers (bulky body types) and some robotic moves are still present.
Agree. One should expect on next-gen that ingame animations are the same quality than cutscenes ones (those are brilliant), but we know this game, being the first iteration, will be probably a HD port of current FIFA 14, with Living Worlds details.

Was going to watch it then saw it was just a cam vid, waste of time, will wait until there's some proper footage before I start making CG 14 jealous ;)

Back
Top Bottom