FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

About being able to quick chance formations though - the problem I'm having right now, which kinda negates its purpose, is that players aren't playing the positions I wan them in when I change formations only. For example, playing as Spurs I switch from the default 4-2-3-1 to an attack 4-5-1, and instead of keeping the wingers the same and just moving one of the CDMs forward (which is what I want - Dembele moved to a CAM positin), it puts Paulinho at RM, Dembele at CM, Chadli at RAM, Lamela at LM. This totally negates the quick formation change usefulness. Anyway to get around this?
Maybe I'm posting something everyone already knows, but I'll go ahead anyway just in case:

Each default formation inherently distributes the sequential list of eleven starters in up to four(five?) positional bands, right to left within each band.

So in the default 4-2-3-1, the 6th & 7th of the eleven are RDM & LDM. But in the default 4-4-2, the 6th & 7th would be the RM & RCM. In a 4-5-1, the 10th is the LM; in a 4-4-2, the 10th is the RS.

There's a logical consistency in respect of distributing data, but none at all in footballing terms.

So TikTikTikTikTik's suggestion sounds like probably the most workable one. Create four custom formations manually so that the 'associated numbers' are where you want them to be. e.g. If you edit your 4-2-3-1 and drag the LDM position to elsewhere on the pitch, it will still be associated with the 7th player in the list.

Hi guys, i'm really enjoying reading everyones experiences with this game. :))

Me, i'm still waiting for it to be delivered from amazon and i just posted here for a rant. I ordered last friday. They sent me an email on saturday to confirm it had been dispatched and said it will be here on monday, now it is thursday and the postman has just been and left a stupid little letter about nothing. :RANT:

The worse thing is is that there is no tracking available and i'll probably have to wait 28 days until i can report that it has not turned up. So i can't cancel and get it elsewhere. I think this is the second time it has happened with amazon. :FAIL:

Sorry if off topic, but just wanted to let off some steam and get some sympathy.

Rant over.

Player individuality is the best it's ever been this year, I had been playing with two physically and defensively strong DM's but gone through a spell of poor results, brought in Rhys McCabe who's a short not particularly strong CM with decent passing and he absolutely ran my midfield for me, spraying balls all over the place which almost always found someone and helped create some brilliant attacking moves.

Love this!

And absolutely right, can definitely feel big differences in players and also how they then make you perform. Nzonzi is a beast in midfield for me and without him, we cant press as well.

Me, i'm still waiting for it to be delivered from amazon and i just posted here for a rant. I ordered last friday. They sent me an email on saturday to confirm it had been dispatched and said it will be here on monday, now it is thursday and the postman has just been and left a stupid little letter about nothing. :RANT:

The worse thing is is that there is no tracking available and i'll probably have to wait 28 days until i can report that it has not turned up. So i can't cancel and get it elsewhere. I think this is the second time it has happened with amazon. :FAIL:

Sorry if off topic, but just wanted to let off some steam and get some sympathy.

Rant over.

Go and buy it in shops and when or if the other one turns up return it for refund.

Love this!

And absolutely right, can definitely feel big differences in players and also how they then make you perform. Nzonzi is a beast in midfield for me and without him, we cant press as well.

out of interest do you play on manual controls? Just wondered if you still see this individuality using manual

out of interest do you play on manual controls? Just wondered if you still see this individuality using manual

Manual Passing, manual through ball, manual long ball, semi shooting and crossing...

Whether its psychological, I still feel my passes (long and short) are influenced to a degree by the player on the ball - so speed of the pass, accuracy to near where I am aiming etc.

Plus how well they control, skills, pace etc. All adds up to make that player unique IMO.

Geeee how much did you pay via Amazon? Why did't you just buy it through Origin or xbox/ps3 direct downolad?

PS3 £39.99, I was gonna download from PS Store but all I could see was the £59.99 one with all the extras :CONFUSE:

But then I decided to get it from amazon. That's the problem with wanting instant satisfaction, one click and you've bought it. I should've just waited till next day and gone to tesco's :P

Go and buy it in shops and when or if the other one turns up return it for refund.

I think you are right, I might just do that. ;) Tesco's here I come :P

Thanks guys :)

Rant over.

PC £25 plus 24 UT gold packs and other extras. Plus pre loaded the game before release so had it straight away.

Sorry to gloat :SMUG:

Maybe I'm posting something everyone already knows, but I'll go ahead anyway just in case:

Each default formation inherently distributes the sequential list of eleven starters in up to four(five?) positional bands, right to left within each band.

So in the default 4-2-3-1, the 6th & 7th of the eleven are RDM & LDM. But in the default 4-4-2, the 6th & 7th would be the RM & RCM. In a 4-5-1, the 10th is the LM; in a 4-4-2, the 10th is the RS.

There's a logical consistency in respect of distributing data, but none at all in footballing terms.

So TikTikTikTikTik's suggestion sounds like probably the most workable one. Create four custom formations manually so that the 'associated numbers' are where you want them to be. e.g. If you edit your 4-2-3-1 and drag the LDM position to elsewhere on the pitch, it will still be associated with the 7th player in the list.

Nope, definitely didn't know that. Or maybe I did but I didn't put it all together like you have. Genius. I'll try that when I get into my next CM. Right now I'm testing slider configs.

I'm playing with Orion's (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fifa-slider-discussion/663701-orion-friends-fifa-14-sim-slider-set.html) and really liking them so far. It's amazing how much quality comes through when you slow the game down. EA's doing their game a disservice by having the default speed so quick, though I guess most people aren't interested in playing 10+ minute halves.

I need some help/tips in a couple areas from anyone who thinks they've got a handle on any of these parts of the game. Any input would really be appreciated.

Headers: I must concede 80% of my goals from headers and can't seem to score that many myself. Tips? A lot of times my player doesn't even jump. Is it a timing issue?

When is best to power up the header, and when is best to flick the directional stick? Same time, or do you power up first, then flick the stick? Or is it best just to tap the shot/clearance button?

And what about positioning? Any tips on getting in the best position to win the header?

Striker hold up play: so there's now this animation where your striker posts-up against the CB. If you play the ball into him though, how best to not lose possession to that CB, who seems so good at knicking the ball from behind? Right now passing to my striker, unless he's on the run, seems to be where my attacks go to die. It's an area where I feel the new protect the ball feature isn't particularly effective. Tips?

Defending: I find a cautious approach overall is best but if you stand too far off in your final third the CPU can be deadly. Are people finding it's best to defend manually using jockey/sprint, using the contain function, or are you mixing it up?

I'm particularly interested in strategies for defending around your own penalty box. In these areas contain doesn't seem to get close enough to be effective while it's so easy to get majorly juked by CPU dribblers when using just jockey/sprint combos. Tips?

Team Pressing: does anyone think this quick tactic actually does anything? When I'm down in a match in the second half I always go Team Pressing and increase my attack setting. Increasing the attack setting has a clear and big impact, but I've yet to determine if Team Pressing does much. Thoughts, tips?

Anyone with input on any/all of these, please chime in!

Last edited:

Just had a great moment like this as well as Leicester City, a simple through ball played to a winger who started close to my CM but bent his run wide and came back in, was able to pass across goal to another CM who ran into the box for a tap in.

Lots of little things like that where I can pass the ball around and players actually seem to look for space instead of just standing behind or with a defender. I've had some really nice looking moves that ended with poor shots or great saves, makes it feel really good.

Team Pressing: does anyone think this quick tactic actually does anything? When I'm down in a match in the second half I always go Team Pressing and increase my attack setting. Increasing the attack setting has a clear and big impact, but I've yet to determine if Team Pressing does much.
Team Pressing has never had any effect that I could discern, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still pointless. Year after year it has been present and done nothing.

Scored this one this evening, liked it in particular because it showed good really great player movement that wasn't forced by me, my DM Kouyate simply decided to run into the box once he'd made the pass to our winger:

YouTube - Great example of player movement in Fifa 14

Nice but I have to say that one of my biggest pet peeves - and I'm not saying this is necessarily the case with your goal - is that DMFs in FIFA are too attack minded, often joining in attack and leaving massive holes for a counter-attack to exploit. The best solution I've found is to seek out CMs that have Low attack work rates but even then it's iffy.

Team Pressing has never had any effect that I could discern, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still pointless. Year after year it has been present and done nothing.

And this is one of my other biggest pet peeves with the tactical AI. One of my favorite teams is Borussia Dortmund but it just sucks that you can't replicate their pressing style in FIFA... even though the CPU AI is pretty darn good at playing a pressing game when it wants to.

I always edited player mind set manually in formations. Even if it kills their natural game.

I like my formation to keep shape, thank you.

Nice but I have to say that one of my biggest pet peeves - and I'm not saying this is necessarily the case with your goal - is that DMFs in FIFA are too attack minded, often joining in attack and leaving massive holes for a counter-attack to exploit. The best solution I've found is to seek out CMs that have Low attack work rates but even then it's iffy.

TBH I always felt that DMs with Low/High settings in tactics are too defense minded, in 14 I notice they will attack if they feel there's sufficient cover (as there was in my goal) so was pleased with the player movement :)

TBH I always felt that DMs with Low/High settings in tactics are too defense minded, in 14 I notice they will attack if they feel there's sufficient cover (as there was in my goal) so was pleased with the player movement :)

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO CDMs in FIFA are poor at shielding the back four. Play a CB at CDM and they still can't be relied on to hold properly. CDM in my experience are too often having to sprint back to help rather be in good position to break-up play.

Just promoted to Div 7 in H2H with my beloved Boquita ;) Xeneizes Smashed West Brom 5-2 with a Gigliotti Poker! Lovely cutscenes at La Bombonera! What a joy is playing in this stadium...

a2M3uBM.jpg

OiqB0gK.jpg

l8NfUsY.jpg

Last edited:

PC £25 plus 24 UT gold packs and other extras. Plus pre loaded the game before release so had it straight away.

Sorry to gloat :SMUG:

£25? From where - the cheapest I could see it was £31, which is what I paid in the end. That's the most I've ever paid for a Fifa game, but I don't mind because it's head and shoulders above any other football game I've ever played. Just wish they could've done something about the game's soul - it's still lacking that sort of thing. I mean better looking celebrations for goals involving the whole team when appropriate, and PES' offsides, where the game continues - that sort of thing. You think you've scored; the players celebrate, so do the fans, then up goes the flag. In Fifa, it's too robotic, too clinical - a player is never shocked by the offside flag, neither are the fans.

On the gameplay front however, EA have done an amazing job, and if 'NG' plays like this, but with a much better graphical engine, then we're in for a treat in the coming years, especially as it seems EA have finally got with the programme and are giving more importance to the 'life' within the stadium. With any luck, the PC will be able to join in that fun sooner rather than later.

one thing i never knew this game had was a 'scenario mode' like the old ISS games under highlights of the week

I chose to play the upcoming Roma v Inter game it comes with a little story like description too and in the match on legendary the AI played amazing doing little deft dribbling and passing breaking my back line down slowly I lost 3-1

got to hand it to FIFA the content of their game is pretty amazing so many things to do

Last edited:

Well you know a Fifa has hooked you when you go to sleep thinking about it being the start of a new season and which players are you going to sell, where are you going to strengthen etc, and then you wake up before 7am and start thinking about the same thing!

I need some help/tips in a couple areas from anyone who thinks they've got a handle on any of these parts of the game. Any input would really be appreciated.

Headers: I must concede 80% of my goals from headers and can't seem to score that many myself. Tips? A lot of times my player doesn't even jump. Is it a timing issue?

When is best to power up the header, and when is best to flick the directional stick? Same time, or do you power up first, then flick the stick?

I have seen and read many tutorials for headers in fifa and IMO they complicate things too much.
In defence: Just position yourself at best position and hold shoot or pass+direction. You can start pressing the button way before the ball reaches you. You don't have to get timing right. He will auto-jump at the right moment.
Shooting at goal: same, but don't hold the shoot button too long.

Oh, and for defending corners (hardest part imo): when opponent crosses the ball, press change player button and move in front of the opponent than press and hold shoot+direction.

Last edited:

It seems that fifa14 is being criticized very hard at ea forums.
They hate slower gameplay, slower player reactions, slower buildup play, weaker ball control and tougher defence.
Some do make a normal comment that online is bad, AI over-used chipped balls and headers are over-powered.
If you have time please make a positive comment on ea thread because I am afraid EA do read those comments and they will comply to those complaints.

http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/345/2591526.page

They hate slower gameplay, slower player reactions, slower buildup play, weaker ball control and tougher defence.
Some do make a normal comment that online is bad, AI over-used chipped balls and headers are over-powered.
If you have time please make a positive comment on ea thread because I am afraid EA do read those comments and they will comply to those complaints.

I stopped reading the comments on the game after the first few hours of release. It's so,so negative on there.

One could think that they want FIFA 13 rubbish again, but actually they complain every single year about everything (i.e. two last years), specially when they lose online with their gold FUT squad. Any sane developer should know to distinguish about reasonable critiques and children or teenager rants.

Last edited:

They are trolls.Actually it could be one person cuz everyday, a new registered guy appears..

Back
Top Bottom