FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

If you know nothing about the player then when you go to bid there'll be a message at the top from the chief exec along the lines of "as we know nothing about the player I don't know how much to suggest bidding, perhaps enquire with the club about the player first", I think you can still bid if you want though.

The scouting isn't too bad when you have 6x >3* scouts but you never start with that unless you cheat, which I have no qualms about doing in this instance as mentioned previously in here :)

So far, I've had nothing but poor experiences with the GSN. In my new CM with Spurs, I sent out three scouts to find me a new attack-minded LB. The results so far have been underwhelming to say the least.

My scout in Germany found no one. My scout in England found one player, I forget who, but I recognized as a rather lower-rated player, no where near first team quality for Spurs. My scout in Italy found two players, neither that I recognize and I'd be surprised if either were an upgrade.

So I don't really get what's going on with the scouting system. Why, for example, did my scouts not find the LBs from other top teams? My scout in England alone should've returned several players: Evra, Baines, Enrique, Santon, Kolarov, Cole, etc.

The most worrying aspect of this new feature for me is having to rely on the game - and EA's programming - to find players. The fact that I can't quickly and simply search for top rated LBs that fit my budget is really frustrating.

The GSN might make player acquisition more difficult and add another layer of challenge to CM, but some people think it's also more realistic, which I find laughable. That as Spurs manager I have to work so hard to figure out who the top LBs are in the world that I can afford is a joke.

Last edited:

Wow form is absolutely brutal in this game, I was on a really good run repeatedly being told I'd taken 11 points from my last 5 matches, then I had a couple of draws in a row where I didn't play very well and it went downhill from there, played something like 5 matches in a row and could not buy a win, just managed to beat Yeovil at home in a rainy midweek match but it was an absolute mare, players couldn't pass to each other, finished with 62% passing completion and a hard fought 1-0 win.

Can anyone tell if the South American manager mode also includes a generic Copa Libertadores.

anyone else had trouble with the really dark shadow every now and then at stamford bridge on the right hand goal.. really dark, hard to see ball or players and close up replays players have silver on faces and boots... played the same game 4 times same weather season and clear weather and 3 out of 4 games had this problem

I just played away at Bolton and it was horrific, 3/4 of the pitch is dark shadow and the other 1/4 is really bright, in the dark shadow parts it was really hard to make out which of my players was selected, didn't notice any problems on replay but the match itself was a major frustration.

Juventus ground too has a horrible shadow sometimes. They need to tone it back a wee bit.

So far, I've had nothing but poor experiences with the GSN. In my new CM with Spurs, I sent out three scouts to find me a new attack-minded LB. The results so far have been underwhelming to say the least.

My scout in Germany found no one. My scout in England found one player, I forget who, but I recognized as a rather lower-rated player, no where near first team quality for Spurs. My scout in Italy found two players, neither that I recognize and I'd be surprised if either were an upgrade.

So I don't really get what's going on with the scouting system. Why, for example, did my scouts not find the LBs from other top teams? My scout in England alone should've returned several players: Evra, Baines, Enrique, Santon, Kolarov, Cole, etc.

The most worrying aspect of this new feature for me is having to rely on the game - and EA's programming - to find players. The fact that I can't quickly and simply search for top rated LBs that fit my budget is really frustrating.

The GSN might make player acquisition more difficult and add another layer of challenge to CM, but some people think it's also more realistic, which I find laughable. That as Spurs manager I have to work so hard to figure out who the top LBs are in the world that I can afford is a joke.

Hear hear. I don't know what they were thinking. The inventors of this GTN atrocity should be hanged. :COOL:

i know geeeeee its hard to move away from the PS2 classics as they are so playable but after PES 14 proved to be such an unfinished game I brought FIFA aswell and it has suprised me alot its a great game

my advice would be to play at a high level setting like world class and adjust the sliders they really make a difference, the game has its slight niggles but overall its easily in the top 3 best football games I have ever played i dont think that is an over the top statement.

OK The AI could be improved to vary play a bit more but not a major change and getting free kicks from fouls is very very rare it has to be a bug I have not had a free kick for 5 games :CONFUSE: hopefully a patch will fix that,apart from that I wish I got it on PC for the mods

look forward to hearing what you think of it as a ps2 man yourself

I love that statement :APPLAUD:

Still have not got the game yet, Amazon said it will be here on Monday...now tomorrow is Wednesday :BRICK:.

Regarding fouls, i am using Placebo's slider settings on FIFA 13 and the CPU was fouling me a bit more. Maybe you should try his new 'alpha' :Pslider settings for 14. I am using PS3 so no mod or patch is gonna help me unless its an EA one.

The CPU won't go all out attack when losing in the last minutes? I know I've been asking this many times but that sounds disappointing.

Loved that feature though it was a lil' bit over the top.

For the first time of my game life, I ACTUALLY want to buy a game before even trying the full game at some friend's house, but, but ... I live in Morocco and I can't even pay that brazilian site because Paypal here is blocked :CRY:

So it looks like the old bug is present in FIFA14 - once you edit a player in CM it immediately stops them wearing 'skins' or long sleeves in wet weather/winter. These types of cosmetic details mean a lot when you play CM for months. Anyone. Know a work around for this bug?

The CPU won't go all out attack when losing in the last minutes? I know I've been asking this many times but that sounds disappointing.

Yeah - I mean the pressure in the earlier FIFA games by the CPU at 80 min was unrealistic but currently I barely see a change when the CPU goes down, no matter if its bayern munich or some poorer team.

In terms of this sort of tactics department PES is still far better.

Yeah - I mean the pressure in the earlier FIFA games by the CPU at 80 min was unrealistic but currently I barely see a change when the CPU goes down, no matter if its bayern munich or some poorer team.

In terms of this sort of tactics department PES is still far better.
Yes. In fifa12/13 there was too much pressure. In 14 there is too little. Why can't they find a good balance is beyond me.

I just played away at Bolton and it was horrific, 3/4 of the pitch is dark shadow and the other 1/4 is really bright, in the dark shadow parts it was really hard to make out which of my players was selected, didn't notice any problems on replay but the match itself was a major frustration.

That is why I never play with clear weather (only overcast and rain).

Really suprised by fifa this year. Reminds me of pes a little bit back in the day. I like thr gameplay; it is a lot of fun and I find differnce between and players. Love the sliders as well. Really suprised by the amount of faces ea have got right and body models of some of the players. Although some seem abit top heavy. For me though its a good blend of acadey and sim, something komani used to be masters of.

Oh and the sheer variety in shooting is great this year, making scoring goals fun.

Really suprised by fifa this year. Reminds me of pes a little bit back in the day. I like thr gameplay; it is a lot of fun and I find differnce between and players. Love the sliders as well. Really suprised by the amount of faces ea have got right and body models of some of the players. Although some seem abit top heavy. For me though its a good blend of acadey and sim, something komani used to be masters of.

Have to agree. The game is really good and especially it makes fun.

Yeah they definitely ramp it up, I've seen teams switch to 3 at the back as well to push more players up front.

While it's great that they added in pre-contract agreements, I don't understand why you can only offer them when the transfer window is open? Surely you should be able to offer them at any point once a player has less than 6 months on their contract? It bears no correlation at all with the transfer window being open/closed as you're not signing them at that point, bad decision by EA.

How dos that work Placebo (pre-contract agreements)? I haven't seen that yet.
Actually only one player had it (Maurice from Psg) but his contract was -1 year?! so I couldn't use that function.

The contract lengths displayed are really weird, often you'll get minus something, but the game does seem capable of figuring out who has <6 months less on their contract and if they're over the age of 23 you can offer them a pre-contract, when you choose it you're then taken to the contract agreement screen, the wages are taken out of that year's budget (not sure I agree with this personally), and if you come to terms then it's locked in place and will say something like "Moving to Sheffield Wednesday when their contract expires July 2014", it will be interesting to see if more players end up available as free transfers the following season.

I wanted to sign Sone Aluko from Hull on a pre-contract but the transfer window closed before I had enough wages freed up to sort it, so hoping he will be on a free transfer at the start of next season, probably not though :(

I do like the sheer variety of goals you can score - or at least attempt. It's now all dependent on where your player strikes the ball which is very refreshing as it adds in an element of swerve, height or dip.

The contract lengths displayed are really weird, often you'll get minus something, but the game does seem capable of figuring out who has <6 months less on their contract and if they're over the age of 23 you can offer them a pre-contract, when you choose it you're then taken to the contract agreement screen, the wages are taken out of that year's budget (not sure I agree with this personally), and if you come to terms then it's locked in place and will say something like "Moving to Sheffield Wednesday when their contract expires July 2014", it will be interesting to see if more players end up available as free transfers the following season.

I wanted to sign Sone Aluko from Hull on a pre-contract but the transfer window closed before I had enough wages freed up to sort it, so hoping he will be on a free transfer at the start of next season, probably not though :(

Only problem is that you can not search or scout for players with <6 months left, right?
You can only scout for <1 year players so you have to scout a lot to find one with <6 months.
I think Player search does not have contract length criteria.

Yeah they definitely ramp it up, I've seen teams switch to 3 at the back as well to push more players up front.

do they actually switch formation or do they just make 'attacking' substitutions without formation change? I've seen wingers come on for fullbacks but the CPU play the same formation (if you check the formation they are running via manmarking or w.ever).

I dunno, at times I feel like I must be playing a different game to what others are playing. I barely see changes in pressure levels while the CPU are losing.

Only problem is that you can not search or scout for players with <6 months left, right?
You can only scout for <1 year players so you have to scout a lot to find one with <6 months.
I think Player search does not have contract length criteria.

No you're right, you can only search for 0-1 years as the minimum, it really needed something more in search terms such as a "bargain" button which will seek out transfer listed/soon to expire/free contract players, right now it doesn't seem to scout any kind of free transfer players at all either.

do they actually switch formation or do they just make 'attacking' substitutions without formation change? I've seen wingers come on for fullbacks but the CPU play the same formation (if you check the formation they are running via manmarking or w.ever).

I dunno, at times I feel like I must be playing a different game to what others are playing. I barely see changes in pressure levels while the CPU are losing.

Yes I've seen the CPU change to 3 CBs.

It's interesting that sometimes a team that's losing will completely fold mentally rather than become completely superhyped, I was playing Derby away, I was winning 1-0, at around the 75minute mark I made it 2-0 and the Derby player's heads just dropped, they then proceeded to basically gift me 3 more goals with sloppy passes, hoofed clearances, woeful backpasses etc, as much as I enjoyed winning 5-0 away from home I enjoyed seeing some variation to the mentality of the AI.

So the CPU makes you hold on to a narrow lead in the dying minutes like in 13? Don't wanna hear that it has been removed. I'm not talking about formation changes but massive pressuring if you try to hold onto the ball and doing everything to get it forward. Can that be seen?

So the CPU makes you hold on to a narrow lead in the dying minutes like in 13? Don't wanna hear that it has been removed. I'm not talking about formation changes but massive pressuring if you try to hold onto the ball and doing everything to get it forward. Can that be seen?

I would say yea they do aswell

example playing dortmund away in the CL I got a goal on the break and really had to hold on in the last 10 minutes but found alot more space on the counter from them pushing up

Back
Top Bottom