FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - Game related talk only!

World Class + All Manual + Tweaked Sliders. So I feel I'm getting to where I want to be in terms of difficulty/sliders, will probably post them tomorrow, maybe need some adjustments when I'm in the EPL with an EPL quality team, need to get promoted and strengthen first though.

Please post them Placebo:))

Getting anoyed with the game constantly loading and im not signed into the EA servers. I click on sign in but nothing!. Anyone know a fix or way round this?

Playing co-op with my mate. Enjoying it but the player switching is annoying the hell out of me. Overall its a great mode though. Can't play v CPU so play seasons on my own or now co-op. Can't handle UT either. I'm not interested in messing about with creating teams in UT or managing teams in CM. Load game up and just get playing. Rather be on the pitch than in the menus messing about. Don't play as often anymore so just get onto the pitch ASAP.

Anyway, what setting do people use for switching then?

So the feature is still there but more tweaked to realism, huh?

Btw, any mid-game formation changes? I, for once in the demo, saw the CPU switch wingers and employ different tactics during a match. Over at Soccergaming forums, team traits have already been identified. Great year for FIFA and modding.

Really - you actually saw them try a new tactic in game? Well, I'll find out soon enough: game arrived this morning; installing now.

COuple of things...

My lovely GF brought me home an xbox/fifa pack last night (is my 6th, maybe 7th 360 over the years!)... anyways;

Its better than the PS3 version IMO. Bit smoother, menus defo quicker and the graphics are more vibrant.

Plus, mate has just got me into Ultimate Team after all these years. Christ... I'm addicted!

Last week was a good week for me:

NFr3EXz.jpg

That's out of two matches in the week, a whole fixture of Championship (we won 5-0) and a whole FA Cup 1st round (we beat Portsmouth 2-0) :)

Last week was a good week for me:

NFr3EXz.jpg

That's out of two matches in the week, a whole fixture of Championship (we won 5-0) and a whole FA Cup 1st round (we beat Portsmouth 2-0) :)

Nice! Not really got into CM yet - hows it fairing as a 'lower' team? Getting used to the scouting?

Can you really not approach 'any' player to sign them? I.e. if you wanted to sign Nicky Bailey from Millwall - could you just go to Millwall, pick him and make an offer?

Anyone else find that almost all of their games are scheduled for anything but 3pm Saturday?

I'm playing as Newcastle and the only time I could get other match goal alerts was during pre season, the opening week and the first cup game.

Nice! Not really got into CM yet - hows it fairing as a 'lower' team? Getting used to the scouting?

Can you really not approach 'any' player to sign them? I.e. if you wanted to sign Nicky Bailey from Millwall - could you just go to Millwall, pick him and make an offer?

If you know nothing about the player then when you go to bid there'll be a message at the top from the chief exec along the lines of "as we know nothing about the player I don't know how much to suggest bidding, perhaps enquire with the club about the player first", I think you can still bid if you want though.

The scouting isn't too bad when you have 6x >3* scouts but you never start with that unless you cheat, which I have no qualms about doing in this instance as mentioned previously in here :)

PC Fifa 14: Speed seems identical to the demo. Disappointingly, there are still some 'demo glitches' left in there - the nets flickering from black to white from some angles for example.

While I like the new menu layout overall, some things are very hard to find. As someone has already mentioned, it's a sweet mystery as to how to find custom chants (what you actually have to do is highlight the 'Replay' section and then use the RS to change categories. What's more disappointing is that they've not changed custom chants at all. Simply adding some more categories to all teams, instead of just the favourite team, would improve this feature no end.

The commentary about debut players can repeat itself too much, and if a player has just scored a goal, don't launch straight into the 'he's had a good debut' speech - first act like a goal has been scored!

Game definitely plays more realistic football than 13, that's for sure. Defensive lines seem a lot better, attacking AI is better and they also put their foot on the ball occasionally now, for example when trying to fool your player into going the wrong way so they can cross the ball.

Global scouting - I'm undecided as yet. I can definitely see why some people think it should be optional though.

Soundtrack's definitely not as good as Fifa 13's - that had some great songs in it.

Last edited:

Rookie question as never really bothered with it before - but how do you save a decent replay (and upload it).

I've tried a few and it just catches the end of the goal and then all the celebration. I try putting a keyframe in where I want the replay to start - is that right??

Exactly doctor. That pretty much sums is up.
You forgot two important improvements; ball movement is completely free now (not on rails) and no more cheating and silly pressure by cpu at 45/90 min.

On the other hand, I have tried online gameplay and it is still bad; menus are terrible, manual controls lobby is empty, and from 6 matches I had, 2 got disconnected at team management menu, 3 during 1st half and one guy ended the match after 40 min after he realised it was manual controls&slow match.
Terrible.

Rookie question as never really bothered with it before - but how do you save a decent replay (and upload it).

I've tried a few and it just catches the end of the goal and then all the celebration. I try putting a keyframe in where I want the replay to start - is that right??

You have to press save button at start of the replay.
Note that saved replays are terrible (small screen, can't change view...)
PES replays are much better.

Regarding gameplay: I have just lost 4:1 to stoke and all 4 goals were scored by Jones. I wouldn't call them cheating, but kind of a grey area:
I am CDM guarding their CM 25m from the goal and Jones is solo attacker at 16 m line (guarded by my AI 2 CBs) and their CM makes a through ball/lobbed pass to Jones who is 1on1 with my GK. Easy goal and pretty much undefendable.

Last edited:

Exactly doctor. That pretty much sums is up.
You forgot two important improvements; ball movement is completely free now (not on rails) and no more cheating and silly pressure by cpu at 45/90 min.

On the other hand, I have tried online gameplay and it is still bad; menus are terrible, manual controls lobby is empty, and from 6 matches I had, 2 got disconnected at team management menu, 3 during 1st half and one guy ended the match after 40 min after he realised it was manual controls&slow match.
Terrible.

Ummm... yeah - thanks for filling in with the one of the two most important changes that I completely forgot to mention! The ball is indeed its own entity now, and the 'foot planting' makes a massive difference to the game. No more superhuman turns, or the ability to stop dead in your tracks!

Online sounds pretty bad - thankfully I hardly ever play it, but it should be sorted out for the many people who do. From what I understand, online's been in a bit of a mess for a few years now; albeit not as bad as PES in that aspect.

Last edited:

PC Fifa 14: Speed seems identical to the demo. Disappointingly, there are still some 'demo glitches' left in there - the nets flickering from black to white from some angles for example.

While I like the new menu layout overall, some things are very hard to find. As someone has already mentioned, it's a sweet mystery as to how to find custom chants (what you actually have to do is highlight the 'Replay' section and then use the RS to change categories. What's more disappointing is that they've not changed custom chants at all. Simply adding some more categories to all teams, instead of just the favourite team, would improve this feature no end.

The commentary about debut players can repeat itself too much, and if a player has just scored a goal, don't launch straight into the 'he's had a good debut' speech - first act like a goal has been scored!

Game definitely plays more realistic football than 13, that's for sure. Defensive lines seem a lot better, attacking AI is better and they also put their foot on the ball occasionally now, for example when trying to fool your player into going the wrong way so they can cross the ball.

Global scouting - I'm undecided as yet. I can definitely see why some people think it should be optional though.

Soundtrack's definitely not as good as Fifa 13's - that had some great songs in it.

Doctor, do you have micro stutters within your game ?

You have to press save button at start of the replay.
Note that saved replays are terrible (small screen, can't change view...)
PES replays are much better.

So where you press save, is where the replay starts, or does it just upload the whole lot of build up anyways?

Has FIFA14 got the replay theatre where you can view all the replays after the match and upload them then?

Doctor, do you have micro stutters within your game ?

Nope - smooth as silk, but prior to playing, I did what was suggested for the demo. I can't find that particular post, but here's what I've got in my fifasetup.ini (Documents > Fifa 14)

ASPECTRATIO = 1.778
CONTROLLER_DEFAULT = 0
DISABLE_WINDAERO = 1
FULLSCREEN = 1
MSAA_LEVEL = 4
RENDERINGQUALITY = 3
RESOLUTIONHEIGHT = 1080
RESOLUTIONWIDTH = 1920
SCREEN_SLEEP = 16
VOICECHAT = 0
WAITFORVSYNC = 1

Thanks.

Edit: Could you also tell me your Catalyst settings??

Last edited:

One thing about football games that has to change is the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of the radar; this applies to PES and Fifa equally.

It's very easy to see a player on the radar in space, try and play the booming crossfield pass, only to have it go miles wide of him. I think what is called for is some sort of small marker to indicate exactly where off screen players are. The higher the player's 'vision', the further away 'marked' players could be. After all in real football you can see the man that you're trying to make the pass to; that has never been successfully replicated in a football game in my opinion.

One thing about football games that has to change is the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of the radar; this applies to PES and Fifa equally.

It's very easy to see a player on the radar in space, try and play the booming crossfield pass, only to have it go miles wide of him. I think what is called for is some sort of small marker to indicate exactly where off screen players are. The higher the player's 'vision', the further away 'marked' players could be. After all in real football you can see the man that you're trying to make the pass to; that has never been successfully replicated in a football game in my opinion.

Play in be a pro cam, just like real life ;))

I honestly see little to no difference between teams (on World Class, tweaked sliders).

I've tried experimenting with setting player run sliders for CPU high or very low (0 !!) and experimenting with line height but honestly teams like Juve/Man C/Man U/Real/Bayern play a very generic 'possession' game and I see virtually no player/team individuality.

What team personality and what traits are you seeing? I remember one of the previous FIFA's had rather lame 'team traits' but it was in a very limited state and was implemented poorly. I wonder if the code the guys at soccergaming are seeing is just vestige from earlier titles. I did some ini editing for FIFA over the years and the last couple of years ini editing had very minimal changes to gameplay, and the only way to consistently change CPU behavior was via large DB edits.

I'm not trying to troll, although I have a preference in PES over the years I've generally got FIFA to play online with friends and if I was 100% satisfied with PES 2014 I wouldn't have bought FIFA :D

I don't have any particular 'brand loyalty' one way or the other and am having fun with FIFA (at least until some of the bigger PES mods come out).

Best example I can give is from a new CM I started yesterday with Spurs.

I played Swansea and they totally schooled me, I couldn't get the ball from them, and they ended up with 65% possession, playing so many short passes, passing back, prioritizing keeping the ball from me. This was a pretty new experience for me playing the CPU, at least to the extent that the CPU was truly able to keep the ball from me.

Then I played Crystal Palace, and their style was very different. Lots of longer inaccurate passes. I think the also sat back more in defense. I ended with 55% possession.

I'm finding this year's FIFA much more difficult so far (on default sliders). I started this CM on World Class and about a month into the season I'm probably only a match or two away from being canned. Haven't won a game, barely scored, and leaking lots of goals. A big difference is how much better the AI is at keeping possession and creating quality chances. Another I think is that some cheap tactics I had been relying on in 13 and previous FIFAs aren't as effective.

Getting anoyed with the game constantly loading and im not signed into the EA servers. I click on sign in but nothing!. Anyone know a fix or way round this?

I had a problem in which the game wasn't signing into EA servers and I fixed it yesterday by deleting my Xbox profile (from system settings), redownloading the profile, deleting the saved FIFA 14 files, and restarting the game.

It's only been a day but I'm signed into EA servers again and so far so good.

So where you press save, is where the replay starts, or does it just upload the whole lot of build up anyways?

Has FIFA14 got the replay theatre where you can view all the replays after the match and upload them then?

You tap up or down on the d pad and that's where the replay starts.

I think it does save a list of your highlights at the end

Just bumped up from Professional to World Class - feels like a different game. Teams are more differentiated, it's more challenging but feels more fair and I can't recommend it enough.

Just waiting on some quality sliders ;)

Back
Top Bottom